Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not unless you've got a pet carrier that can fit a 160 pound eldritch abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The pet carrier will fit a horse, cow, or combat mech so I think it is up to the task.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Today I learned somebody contributing to this game is joyous enough to have put in an option to build a pillow fort and stodgy enough to specify you can only build one on a generic house floor.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Yeah but does that give more or less comfort than stacking a metric ton of blankets and pillows on the same tile?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Need a bounce castle mod so you can trap all the zombie kids inside of them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

That Guy Bob posted:

Yeah but does that give more or less comfort than stacking a metric ton of blankets and pillows on the same tile?

I don't know but I am hidden while inside it so that peace of mind is really the most comforting thing of all, no?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Need a bounce castle mod so you can trap all the zombie kids inside of them.

Well somebody managed to coral most of the nations children into parks and basketball courts before the fall so the plan isn't without merit.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 8, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Is it better to smash or to dismantle when you're trying to gather enough metal to make an anvil?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tin Tim posted:

Is it better to smash or to dismantle when you're trying to gather enough metal to make an anvil?
You can use steel frames, right? Just grab a wrench and remove the doors off a car, probably fastest. Barring that, smashing is probably faster but more wasteful.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The wrench is just like the hacksaw in my current game: not there

I'm also really strapped for materials because I'm sitting next to a giant town full of death with nothing but a couple of farms and nature around it. Also no working car so I can't even really make the trip to scout another town. At least I got a cozy house and enough food for a little while. But yeah I found some gym equipment in a basement and was wondering how I would get the most relevant stuff from it seeing how my sources of metal are super limited atm

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Then yeah, smash cars up and destroy paneling. Probably your best bet to get chunks. If you can find any junkers that run, smash 'em into each other for even faster results.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's also way faster smashing up pre-wrecked cars, since most of the parts will be heavily damaged already. If you're feeling spicy, you can also lure zombies into a car and let them do the manual labor trying to get to you, but that's more entertaining than efficient.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You used to be able to disassemble metal sheets -> small metal sheets -> scrap metal fairly quickly with a soldering iron (maybe a welder? don't remember). Get the sheets from disassembling shelves/kitchen appliances.

E: Above is not true in current game, needs a hacksaw. Not sure if that's new or I misremembered.

http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/sheet_metal/disassemble

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Smash a crashed vehicle part with an intact heavy door but a broken supporting frame after repairing the heavy frame.

Voila, intact heavy frame with minimal effort. Dismantle it for 100 lumps, more than enough for an anvil

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Iirc last time I tried smashing cars I ran into the issue that my character often hit the pavement instead of the car tile :shrug:

Anyway thx for the input on metal scavenging!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Iirc last time I tried smashing cars I ran into the issue that my character often hit the pavement instead of the car tile :shrug:
I'm pretty sure "You don't seem to be damaging the pavement" is just a misleading/incorrect message. The feedback on smashing things is miserable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Burning down buildings might work? I think I've seen that generate chunks of steel before, but I couldn't swear to it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

megane posted:

I'm pretty sure "You don't seem to be damaging the pavement" is just a misleading/incorrect message. The feedback on smashing things is miserable.
Yeah it probably is. Still happened but didn't actually seem to have any effect?

Anyway after walking several miles to beat up on an ruined cop car I remembered that I need a homewrecker for it, walked all the way back to craft it, returned to smash the poo poo out of the car and then dragged all the metal back. That sure was peak gameplay but at least I now have my smithy and tools sorted out

Also since it has been a while since my last run, what is a decent food to make from dried meat and veggies? Currently I'm stuffing myself with meat sandwiches(yay for wheat fields) but I wanna diversify a bit

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Woods soup is a good choice, you’ll need to collect some pine boughs to make pine needle tea but pine trees are everywhere.

http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/soup_woods

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks I forgot about that staple!

How does one go about making/using vehicle turrets? This run I've actually built my first vehicle from scratch and I wanna gently caress around with a turret on it. I've gathered a turret mount which I assume is the first step but I have no idea how I actually shoot the gun on it after it is bolted to the roof of my vehicle

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks I forgot about that staple!

How does one go about making/using vehicle turrets? This run I've actually built my first vehicle from scratch and I wanna gently caress around with a turret on it. I've gathered a turret mount which I assume is the first step but I have no idea how I actually shoot the gun on it after it is bolted to the roof of my vehicle

You can ^ when you're driving it to fire the turrets manually. Or if you're not driving it, examine the controls and you can fire them from there.

If you want them to autonomously shoot things you also need to install a turret control unit on each turret.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you can also hit 'f' to fire the turret if you are on the same tile as the turret mount. considering how accurate the selective fire turret guns are, it is a real treat to use one, so long as you have the ammo for it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Nice, that's easier than expected. Right now I got like one and a half belts of 308. kicking around so I might use that to just steamroll the bandit camp I've discovered in my area.

More questions on the details of vehicles. Is armor plating really required if you're already using heavy frames/panels? I guess steel plating is okay since it shouldn't add much weight but I'm not so sure about composite armor. And is the V12 engine a good idea outside of battle bus sized vehicles? I found a fresh one but I don't think my custom heavy jeep actually benefits from it in a meaningful way

e: I guess another part to this is that I don't really have a feeling for the weight of cars and the relevant mechanics around it. I mean I'm happily stuffing multiple engines and storage batteries into my storage slots and don't really notice any effect on my vehicle

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 1, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

Nice, that's easier than expected. Right now I got like one and a half belts of 308. kicking around so I might use that to just steamroll the bandit camp I've discovered in my area.

More questions on the details of vehicles. Is armor plating really required if you're already using heavy frames/panels? I guess steel plating is okay since it shouldn't add much weight but I'm not so sure about composite armor. And is the V12 engine a good idea outside of battle bus sized vehicles? I found a fresh one but I don't think my custom heavy jeep actually benefits from it in a meaningful way

e: I guess another part to this is that I don't really have a feeling for the weight of cars and the relevant mechanics around it. I mean I'm happily stuffing multiple engines and storage batteries into my storage slots and don't really notice any effect on my vehicle

More armor is always good. It adds weight of course, but you shouldn't need to worry about that until your vehicle is the size of a house. Making a vehicle heavier affects the top speed (which doesn't matter because you probably won't be going 100 anyway), the mileage (which doesn't matter because gas is plentiful), and the strain on the engine (which doesn't matter because you should have a welding rig ready to repair it anyway).

Also go with the most powerful engine you can find for the same reasons.

I like to either make a single-tile power recliner with superbike speed or a thirty-foot-wide mobile fortress.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My cars tend to be small because I can fit everything I want in a fairly small space and making the vehicle bigger just makes it harder to cross bridges.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Lone Badger posted:

My cars tend to be small because I can fit everything I want in a fairly small space and making the vehicle bigger just makes it harder to cross bridges.

Either build your vehicle to be the exact width of a bridge, make it able to turn into a boat, or make it able to fly. :colbert:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Telsa Cola posted:

Either build your vehicle to be the exact width of a bridge, make it able to turn into a boat, or make it able to fly. :colbert:

Two of those don't involve roadrollers though

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Xand_Man posted:

Two of those don't involve roadrollers though

What do roadrollers do when you hit something in boat/VTOL form. Sounds like a worthy experiment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

There are vehicles on bridges and a narrow vehicle can slalom through them much more easily.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I usually stick with 5 wide vehicles for just that reason. Sit in the middle, storage/workbench/whatever in tiles 2 and 4, doors/boards in tiles 1 and 5.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I went over to the releases page of the cataclysm website to check out what the latest experimentals were like, when I saw a new stable release called "O—G Oh Em Gee". I was looking at the features list, and it looked like they were removing some of the more lovely changes they've made to the game in the recent months...

quote:

• Pocket inventory system removed
  • Achievements system removed
  • Proficiencies removed

...but a couple of other changes had me going :crossarms:

quote:

• Several performance regressions introduced
  • Removed possibility to use some languages within a game (Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Greek, Indonesian, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Serbian, Turkish, and Ukrainian)
P.S: We have decided to drop support for 64 bit, and non-Windows operating systems (i.e. Linux, OSX and Android) to reduce burden on our build server, so only Windows 32 bit binary is released this time. At the moment you can still build for other targets by yourself, but build files would be updated soon to only target Windows 32 bit.

Is this their idea of a lovely April Fool's joke where they're trying to own the people who don't agree with their development decisions?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That's definitely a :smuggo: we're-so-smart-and-you're-poo poo April Fools joke

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The cringe is real.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I wonder what this project would be today if Kevin never appeared on the scene

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fun!!!!

*hoots, hollers*

fr he sucks

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Is there a way to regain meaningful amounts of stamina during combat?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Is there a way to regain meaningful amounts of stamina during combat?

Respirator cbm

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

If I remember correctly, the http://www.cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/adrenaline_injector boosts your stamina recharge rate. You need to use it before you run out of stamina, so at the beginning of a big fight.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks, has the emergency oxygen tank similar effects?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In general always try to keep your stamina above 50%. If you have a choke point it can be worth just passing turns and waiting to catch your breath even with zeds trying to bite you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks, has the emergency oxygen tank similar effects?

No, it has no effect on stamina regen. It is for smoke inhalation treatment.