Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Never-ending pickup animations are definitely one of my biggest pet peeves in games, along with having to hold buttons for interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Finally tried Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. Horrible performance issues aside, Aloy, why the gently caress would you pull some shiny thing off a corpse and then just put it on your own ear like it's no big deal? This got it an Alt+F4 of disgust, and what with the weird antisocial crap in the game before that, makes me wonder about all those positive reviews.

Is this a bit

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

What the gently caress is a 'bit'?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
in the Tomb Raider reboot, it takes Lara Croft a fraction of a second to loot something off of a corpse. Just long enough to acknowledge the button press--and bam, it's in your inventory, you've got some scrap or a relic, and yer on yer way. Lara stoops over for their fraction of a second but control is returned instantly and you get back to shooting thugs and skinning wolves.

I don't want a hoover item pick-up... but i don't want a long rear end animation... Tomb Raider is my ideal.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Ambaire posted:

What the gently caress is a 'bit'?

Not much, what's a bit with you?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Febreeze posted:

Would we? Ghost of Tsushima lets you press a button 6 feet away from an item and it just vanishes into your inventory. BotW did the same thing. I didn't see much complaining. In fact I saw a lot of praise for it.

There'd definitely be some people who would bitch about it. Some people love pointless time wasting animations. Who knows what the proportions would be I'd hope it's on the side of quick or no animations but I doubt it. If it were we wouldn't see so much of it.
Link staring at every item pickup you get for 20 seconds in every Zelda after the SNES era. And the camera panning over most new zones you enter for the first time. Not only tedious but weakens the sense of exploration and discovery.
Tedious kill cams at the end of nearly every fight in Skyrim.
Lengthy input blocking menu animations at the start of every turn added to FFX in the HD remakes for some reason.
Indeed similarly slow menu animations in FF13 only worse since that game wanted you to menu under time pressure, made funnier by the fact that rather than properly fixing the issue in 13-2 they just sped up the animation 2-3x so it looks really silly.
The pointless "sit down in the nearest chair" animation Fallout 4 had before it'd let you use any computer terminal that was near a chair. The animation would also sometimes break and play the animation then teleport you to standing somewhere randomly nearby not hacking.
500-1000ms fades for menu transitions are hugely common and more or less fine in games where you don't enter the menu often but boy do they get annoying sometimes.

It kinda falls under the "make games feel worse to play in order to make them prettier or more immersive" design styling that is super common and I hate but I suspect I'm just in the tiny minority for that sadly.

The poster child of it is games with unique jumping animations for vaulting over a chest high fence vs just regular jumping. I think Battlefield 3 was the first game I played that had that and it's become super common since then but boy does it feel awful. It locks your trajectory on a line perpendicular to the segment of wall you're jumping over in a way that makes you feel way less in control, changes your velocity in a way that feels incongruent with regular movement, and I've never played a game that had it where it didn't, at least occasionally, bug out and deposit you on the same side of the wall you started from after playing the dumb animation.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Bloodborne and the operating room you start in? Doesn't have good sanitation? Awful, uninstalled the game and threw the disc across the room where it shattered. Can't believe people call this a good game.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
oh it's a bit

a bit much!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spek posted:

Some people love pointless time wasting animations.

Yes which is why Red Dead Redemption 2 died for our sins so that we'd never have to endure them ever again. :colbert:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

MiddleOne posted:

Yes which is why Red Dead Redemption 2 died for our sins so that we'd never have to endure them ever again. :colbert:

Pretty sure most of Rockstar's staff died too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ambaire posted:

Finally tried Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. Horrible performance issues aside, Aloy, why the gently caress would you pull some shiny thing off a corpse and then just put it on your own ear like it's no big deal? This got it an Alt+F4 of disgust, and what with the weird antisocial crap in the game before that, makes me wonder about all those positive reviews.

Because it's shiny? I don't understand the question.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It belongs in a museum!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh no, Disco Elysium's Director's Cut has an entirely different voice-cast, which is getting a mixed reception on some of its forums. As of this writing the original VO is gone.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

They changed Cuno's voice. That's certainly a decision. It's the main voice that sticks into my head. It's the one voice I wouldn't change if I could only spare one from being changed.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Sally posted:

in the Tomb Raider reboot, it takes Lara Croft a fraction of a second to loot something off of a corpse. Just long enough to acknowledge the button press--and bam, it's in your inventory, you've got some scrap or a relic, and yer on yer way. Lara stoops over for their fraction of a second but control is returned instantly and you get back to shooting thugs and skinning wolves.

I don't want a hoover item pick-up... but i don't want a long rear end animation... Tomb Raider is my ideal.

Death Stranding, which is honestly a game built around managing these tiny interactions, still had the ability to grab chiral crystals off the ground at full sprint and all it did was briefly slow time with his hand reaching out to show you got it and frankly it was perfect

I also loved DS but it had the same stupid "hold button to confirm" thing HZD does in parts and that practice needs to go away. Don't make me hold a button for a second, just let me hit it and move on

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sally posted:

Last of Us part 2 is mine. It's all upper body so you can grab and and keep walking whenever stuff is around.

More games need an auto pickup option, it'd make things a lot less painful.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ambaire posted:

She's a kid when it happens. Consider yourself lucky she didn't lick it.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Phigs posted:

They changed Cuno's voice. That's certainly a decision. It's the main voice that sticks into my head. It's the one voice I wouldn't change if I could only spare one from being changed.

Cuno changes his voice when Cuno feels like it pig! If you can't handle Cuno's new poo poo, gently caress does Cuno care?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Febreeze posted:

Death Stranding, which is honestly a game built around managing these tiny interactions, still had the ability to grab chiral crystals off the ground at full sprint and all it did was briefly slow time with his hand reaching out to show you got it and frankly it was perfect

I also loved DS but it had the same stupid "hold button to confirm" thing HZD does in parts and that practice needs to go away. Don't make me hold a button for a second, just let me hit it and move on

Locking the Gravity Gloves behind an optional sidequest was borderline unforgivable, though. Made collecting crystals ten times easier.

I feel like "hold to do thing" is an end result of controllers having limited input options when there's a lot of things to do in games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AssCreed games lately have been padding out skill trees with poo poo like "auto-loot an enemy after you assassinate them". Ubisoft knows players want those quality-of-life features and pretends they're skills so players have to decide if it's worth the time and XP to enable them.

Sally posted:

I don't want a hoover item pick-up

I want a Hoover item pick-up, on auto. Ride my horse through an open-world game collecting resources and loot like I'm driving through item boxes in Mario Kart.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skill unlocked!
* Herb-picking is now 5% faster
Skill unlocked!
* Will deal 20% extra damage when health is under 10%.
Skill unlocked!
* Can now sprint 1 extra meter before getting tired.
Skill unlocked!
* AR clip-size has been raised from 30 to 32.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

JackSplater posted:

Locking the Gravity Gloves behind an optional sidequest was borderline unforgivable, though. Made collecting crystals ten times easier.

I feel like "hold to do thing" is an end result of controllers having limited input options when there's a lot of things to do in games.

It's a good decision when you're doing a Thing which you don't want to accidentally do in the middle of a fight or something, but 'hoover up all the goodies' is not such a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know I've posted this exact thing before, but I'm watching Godzilla v Kong right now

Why is it so hard to make a good Godzilla game?

Edit: joke post here

Give me a fuckin' Godzilla survival game where I have to stomp into Tokyo to fill some arbitrary guage and as you break poo poo they slowly respond by building new defenses, researching new tech, etc

Every now and then you'll go to town for a load of bread and oh look ghidorah is there sure why not

Len has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Mar 31, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Len posted:

I know I've posted this exact thing before, but I'm watching Godzilla v Kong right now

Edit: joke post here

Give me a fuckin' Godzilla survival game where I have to stomp into Tokyo to fill some arbitrary guage and as you break poo poo they slowly respond by building new defenses, researching new tech, etc

Every now and then you'll go to town for a load of bread and oh look ghidorah is there sure why not

Its the same problem with a Hulk game, people always want to apply too much of a narrative to it. When it simply just needs to be about smashing larger and larger things.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah but it can't just be that because then you get that abysmal ps3/4 godzilla where you controlled a godzilla to basically katamari through cities getting larger

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stexils posted:

in a similar vein i've been trying to figure out the purpose of the limited inventory in yakuza 0 but i don't really get it.

you have unlimited inventory at phone booths to dump all your crap but limited inventory outside of them. so normally that'd be a way of limiting your recovery items and weapons between story / gameplay segements. you only have so many inventory slots while you're out, so dump your misc collectables at phone booth vaults and sell what you don't need, while managing resources between recovery items and equipment.

except you have something like 30 slots you can entirely fill with healing items that can restore your whole health bar and you can buy endlessly given how easy it is to get money, and none of the equipment seems that meaningful to the point where i need more than 1 at a time. also there's mr. shakedown who can potentially steal your money if you fight him and lose but he's extremely easy to avoid. and the phone booths are so ubiquitous that i've never felt like the inventory system is actually limiting me. is the whole thing just to encourage the player to save frequently? it's weird, it's like they made up a whole gameplay loop around the inventory but then trivialized it to the point where i don't know why they don't just have unlimited inventory in the first place.

I love the games, but the limited inventory... yeah. If its any consolation I think its a holdover from earlier games (zero was my first, but I've gone back and played all the others). Yakuza 1 was originally a Ps2 game, so there may have been hardware limitation reasons to have a limited inventory or something I dont know (I'm not a computerologist) but there is very little gameplay reason for it to be limited. Being given a new item when your inventory is full (as a substory reward or a minigame prize or whatever) just brings up a "I'm carrying too much!" prompt that lets you instantly send something to the item box, but trying to buy something gives you a "I'm carrying too much!" prompt that doesnt let you do that. So it really mainly means you get a bit annoyed sometimes when you want/need to buy a thing, but you cant because your inventory is full. Its not a massive deal or anything, but it is a sort of puzzling limitation.

As you say, it may be to force players to visit savepoints often and force them to save. The only other reasons I can think of are to prevent infinite healing items (but as you say, you can half fill your inventory with good healing items and have enough for any given boss fight) or to prevent you carrying infinite... I dunno, umbrellas or something, whatever trash tier low durability weapon you can buy in the convenience stores for cheap in zero. But again, half filling your inventory of actual good weapons (the half not filled with healing) gives you plenty of damage to deal out anyway. Only time it really irritates me is when I get a new interesting/funny but sub-optimal weapon to play with. Like, I want to use this stuffed fish to cause severe spinal trauma to random punks in the street, but I've got 15 slots to play with, my gear/accessories take up 3, the good weapons I'm saving in case a boss fight breaks out unexpectedly take up another 4, I'm carrying 7 assorted energy drinks, and I need to leave that last slot free in case the game needs me to buy something from a shop to advance a plot.

The two most recent games dont have limited inventory like Zero, Judgment and Yakuza 7/Like a Dragon dont let you carry infinite things exactly, but in Judgment all your Stamian sparks or whatever stack, and you can carry up to 15 of each one I think. LAD still has an item box despite letting you carry I think 99 of everything before it stops letting you stack them. I dont know why it still has an item box, I can find literally no use for it, unless I guess someone decided to grind out more than 99 of a given item without ever either using it or selling it. And I'm pretty sure in earlier games you could at least sell to the pawn shop from your item box, you cant in 7 making it even more pointless.

Then again, Judgment and LAD dont have weapons in the same way the kiryu games do (Yagami doesnt get equipable weapons he can use, and Ichiban... Well, the weapons in LAD are tied to the job system, theres no durability so you arent using different weapons in every fight). And they dont have save points, instead letting you save at will. So that doesnt really narrow down the why,,,

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

No the yakuza games are just clunky because of bad design. They are good games because of the substories, drama, and minigames, not because the game is well put together. They tried to emulate Shen-muei along with all that repetition. It's some wabi-sabi poo poo.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Len posted:

Because when you control a giant monster, you are expected to have sluggish movement and sluggish movement is almost never fun.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do people just forget rampage is a game? Or does it not count.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I've only played the NES Rampage, but it did have sluggish movement, and it wasn't fun.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Because when you control a giant monster, you are expected to have sluggish movement and sluggish movement is almost never fun.

give me a godzilla with an air-dash

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kennel posted:

That's exactly what I was trying to work out, that old Hulk Ultimate Destruction was fun to run around wrecking poo poo up all over the place, but it depended on being (comparatively) small and very agile. I'm not convinced making a fun game about a giant and more ponderous monster is impossible, I just don't have a good feel for how to pull it off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gaius Marius posted:

Do people just forget rampage is a game? Or does it not count.

I dont count it because it doesn't have Godzilla

Edit: and also I've only played it on the NES and it's fun for like ten minutes tops

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skill unlocked!
* Herb-picking is now 5% faster
Skill unlocked!
* Will deal 20% extra damage when health is under 10%.
Skill unlocked!
* Can now sprint 1 extra meter before getting tired.
Skill unlocked!
* AR clip-size has been raised from 30 to 32.

Oh god this frustrates me every time, especially when the skills look small but there's a ton of them that stack and thats how you are expected to get strong.

On that note I really wish more mmorpg games made it clear what parts of upgrading were important to getting stronger when they start having a several subsystems for it so I can know if something is actually hard or im just undergeared and unprepared.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a pretty great way to ensure that you get new gear in direct proportion to how fast you're going through the game without making you feel like stuff just spontaneously pops into existence without justification. That old Final Fantasy "dirthole town in front of the final dungeon has gear orders of magnitude better than the capital city of the nation" effect, you know what I mean.

And the equipment from golden chests feels like it's rare enough (in my experience, at least) that you can't rely on getting it to solve your equipment woes. I really like the system, especially since encounters are frequent enough that it never feels like you're just grinding for items to sell to get new stuff. It's a very natural flow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

persona 5 strikers is doing its damndest to make me like a cop, and the worst part is, it's working

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Zoig posted:

Oh god this frustrates me every time, especially when the skills look small but there's a ton of them that stack and thats how you are expected to get strong.

On that note I really wish more mmorpg games made it clear what parts of upgrading were important to getting stronger when they start having a several subsystems for it so I can know if something is actually hard or im just undergeared and unprepared.

That’s one of the things that threw me off Path of Exile. Everyone keeps bringing up the massive sphere grid thing but almost all of it is just +5 to some stat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It drives me nuts when it doesn't seem like a stat boost in a game doesn't really seem to do all that much. Okay, this adds +2 Strength, but is that a good amount, if you seem to gain a point of strength about every level or so?

Persona 4 is where I'm wondering about that. Is a character that much better of with 22 Strength, opposed to 20? Does that really affect damage output that much?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Upgrades that are flat numeric stat boosts are IMO bad design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Holding (x) to join button chat.

I recently reinstalled No Mans Sky after the updated version was added to game pass. I think I might have made it a half hour in before I quit and uninstalled it. The Ui and inventory control hadn’t seemed to change at all and was still horrible on Xbox.