Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know I'm not saying anything that's gone unsaid, but I do hope you can get somewhere that isn't a constant source of stress. (Yes, you said it's not every night etc, but I've also lived in places far past the point where I should have left because, geez, I dunno, it's not that bad...but I have a feeling, once you've been elsewhere, and your stress levels can ratchet down, you'll look back and wonder how you tolerated so much. I do.)

Seconding this part; I didn't know how stressful living with my mom was making me until I moved out and gained five pounds in two weeks (i was quite underweight). I didn't realize how much issues my mom had until I was out of her house and could reflect on my life with her without any distractions. When you're stuck in a situation and you feel as though there's no end in sight you try to rationalize it to yourself so you're not *completely* miserable every day. You definitely have various steps you need to tackle before you're in a place where you can actually move out but starting on those will make you make you trust yourself and your abilities more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

i dropped out of college to move out of a toxic household and NO RAGRETS

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

AITA for threatening to move out of my Mom's house

I (28F) am currently living with my mom and step-dad in their house – mostly to help them out financially though I definitely benefit as well. I am living in a basement ”apartment” – though I do have access to the rest of the house, particularly the kitchen and spend time with them in the main part of the house. I am paying over half the mortgage/utilities as well as contributing to groceries. What I pay is far more than they would get from anyone else that might live in there and I am doing it to help them as my step-dad has lost his business. On the other hand, my Mom is cooking for me and doing other things so I can concentrate on my job and my online master’s degree which is saving me a great deal of stress.

I have step-sister, Amy (F25), that I do not get along with at all. I have refused to speak with her since I was 23 after she slept with my then boyfriend for the sole purpose of hurting me – she even admitted that. This was the last in a long line of stunts she has pulled against me and I decided then that I am completely done with her. When I was still a teenager (16 – 18) I actually stopped spending time at my Mom’s house because of Amy’s behavior and the fact that my mom/step-dad could not make her stop acting out against me. This did cause a lot of resentment on my part at the time that I’ll admit I’m not completely over. I do not consider Amy or her kids to be part of my family. My life is better without her in it as all she did was cause drama.

Last week my Mom came down to talk to me about Amy – which I tried to shoot down immediately but she insisted it was important. Amy’s current boyfriend has decided to leave town which means that Amy will have nowhere to live. They want Amy and her kids to move into the house with us. I said no – I will not live in the same house as Amy. Mom insisted Amy had nowhere else to go and that she wasn’t working (big surprise). I repeated no – I wasn’t going to compromise on this. Mom said that this was their (her and my step-father’s) house. I said yes – and if you want Amy to move in, I will move out. I know that right now that if I wasn’t here, they wouldn’t be able to afford the house. So my statement that I will move out is basically (according to them) blackmail to keep Amy homeless. I view it as have stated my boundaries and I am going to enforce them.

I have tried to keep my Mom and step-dad out of the middle of me and Amy. Honestly, it seems that if they do need to choose, they always pick her anyway. I simply go to my Dad’s for holidays and special occasions. I never even asked that she stopped visiting them at the house I while I live there – I would just lock the door to my area and go downstairs. But I will not live under the same roof as her. I have told my mom that if I need to move out because of Amy again that I will be going no-contact with her as well.

AITA?

Update:

Well, the pressure has begun. I had my mother giving me a 20 minute lecture about how I was asking her to let two innocent children become homeless and how disappointed in me she is. I told her I would move out if she wants me to.

Update 2:

I wrote a standalone update post, but the mods denied it.

In short - as many people foresaw my Mom informed me that Amy and her kids were going to be moving in. I left the house and signed a lease for a new apartment that day. When I got back to my mom's house to pack, I told her I was moving out. My mom was upset and actually blamed me for leaving her in a tough spot - though I don't know what she expected. I have decided to go no contact with my mom once I move out and I wrote her a letter telling her that and explaining my feelings.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't see the big issue here.

Mum does the right thing by allowing her daughter and her kids to stay with them when they need a place to stay.

Woman does the right thing by moving out to avoid living with her arsehole sister and kids.

The mum losing the rent money sucks, but she could ask the arsehole sister to pay, (probably not as much), to help out. Seeing as the mum is letting them stay.

Going no contact with mum/step dad seems a little harsh, but given the family dynamic, there are probably a whole bunch of other reasons/incidents that are going unsaid.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, she did warn her mom what would happen...sounds like mom ignored that or didn’t really think daughter would follow through and then got mad at daughter when she did follow through.

No contact does seem kind of harsh but there’s a high likelihood that the mom really doesn’t have a clue. Meanwhile the daughter was being reasonable in moving out rather than trying to control the situation by telling her mother she couldn’t move other daughter into her own house.

So mom lost income, oh well—again she was warned. It’s not like it happened out of the blue

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't see the big issue here.

Mum does the right thing by allowing her daughter and her kids to stay with them when they need a place to stay.

Woman does the right thing by moving out to avoid living with her arsehole sister and kids.

The mum losing the rent money sucks, but she could ask the arsehole sister to pay, (probably not as much), to help out. Seeing as the mum is letting them stay.

Going no contact with mum/step dad seems a little harsh, but given the family dynamic, there are probably a whole bunch of other reasons/incidents that are going unsaid.
A consistent theme in AITA (as in, the r/relationships thread sees it multiple time a week) is someone who mistreats a person on whom they are financially dependent and then goes all surprised Pikachu when that person withdraws financial support.

quote:

Without realizing I was opening up a huge can of worms, I forwarded the video of George Floyd From the police point of view to my oldest (26) year old grand daughter. Being married to a retired police officer I just thought it was time we heard this perspective. I meant no harm in sending it just thought she might be interested. Well, I’ve now been told I can’t be in her life anymore because I obviously don’t respect her opinion and I have no right to try to sway her thinking. I have insulted her, hurt her and now she agrees with her mother that I can’t keep my mouth shut so I deserve to be abandoned.

In high school I was on the debating team. Every Tuesday we had to go into teams and choose a topic from a hat and debate whatever side was given you. I loved it and I excelled in debating. I could always see pros and cons from both sides. What on earth has happened to people. They can just abandon you now for forwarding an email?

Granddaughter should have forwarded a video from the point of view of her mom and seen how much grandma wanted to debate about that.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

trickybiscuits posted:

A consistent theme in AITA (as in, the r/relationships thread sees it multiple time a week) is someone who mistreats a person on whom they are financially dependent and then goes all surprised Pikachu when that person withdraws financial support.

Granddaughter should have forwarded a video from the point of view of her mom and seen how much grandma wanted to debate about that.

quote:

Bucket List, you are now toxic as you sent an email that they didn’t like. It’s all part of this stupid “cancel culture”. If you don’t like what I say, you’re cancelled from my life. It’s all wrapped up with the younger generation thinking they have it “hard”. Problem is, they have never experienced tough times. They believe if everything doesn’t go their way, it’s tragic. Us parents are left saying “what the …… happened?” I know I’m oversimplifying but that’s what it feels like.

I would argue that what happened involving that is a little bit more than "tough times"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We've been through three recessions, several endless wars, 9/11, the Trump administration, and a pandemic. What the gently caress else needs to happen to us?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Selfish to the end, figuring they are the only generation to deal with tough times and discount today’s tough times. It’s not considered that their kids are affected by things they don’t even notice. If you complain or observe something, you “just” need to do exactly what they did when they were your age and suck it up buttercup

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We've been through three recessions, several endless wars, 9/11, the Trump administration, and a pandemic. What the gently caress else needs to happen to us?

an unspecified event which shows us the light of unconditional boomer worship and also voting straight-ticket Republican

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i guess this question is for anyone but especially for people who have been physically abused. does anyone else wish they could have been killed by their abuser? how should i deal with that feeling, it’s complicated and incredibly difficult to even talk about. it’s like i wish i could have been sacrificed or something to put her away, and i’m so hosed up from everything years later that i feel like i’m better off not being around anymore

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I think they want a draft for a bigger and more pointless war, but they'll only get the zoomers if they do. So they're angry they didn't do it when they had the chance

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

nishi koichi posted:

i guess this question is for anyone but especially for people who have been physically abused. does anyone else wish they could have been killed by their abuser? how should i deal with that feeling, it’s complicated and incredibly difficult to even talk about. it’s like i wish i could have been sacrificed or something to put her away, and i’m so hosed up from everything years later that i feel like i’m better off not being around anymore

"Survivor's guilt" is often used to discuss people who live through things like war, mass shooter attacks, etc. but it's really a much wider spectrum that can apply to people who've recovered from addiction when friends haven't, abuse survivors who's abuser went on to harm others, etc. - you are not alone in these feelings of very profound despair. Survivor's guilt can be incredibly difficult to treat therapeutically because it's difficult to "ground" and things like CBT aren't generally effective until you're at a grounded state, plus people experiencing survivor's guilt have a hard time communicating about the feelings with therapists because it's beyond "normal" C-PTSD.

https://ct.counseling.org/2019/06/relieving-the-heavy-burden-of-survivor-guilt/

quote:

According to Glaser, survivor guilt is rooted in pain. She advises counselors to help clients realize that “guilt in any of its forms is not really productive” — either for clients, for those around them or for those who are gone.

Medina-Wolf says clients often acknowledge being angry, depressed or anxious, even when guilt is the underlying cause of their problems, because it is more difficult to admit feeling guilty. “They feel like if they say it out loud, then maybe they are guilty,” she observes. “The guilt is so deep and they’re so [ashamed] of it because they’re so confident … in that negative distortion that it’s literally killing them from the inside.”

It matters where that guilt is coming from, Medina-Wolf continues. Do they think they didn’t do enough? Do they feel they are a bad person who shouldn’t have survived? Counselors can help clients process exactly what they are experiencing and identify the underlying cause of the guilt, she says.

Often, the guilt is based on a fear of not knowing how to go back into a world they no longer trust, Glaser says. So, instead, they hold on to the guilt and the awful feeling of responsibility. “When we understand that, we can start to make some inroads,” she continues. “We can help the client know where it’s coming from.”

Please try to talk to a professional about these feelings if at all possible because they're heavier than a well-meaning group if internet randos can help with without possibly inadvertently making it worse. You are not irrecoverably broken, you do not deserve to be dead, and you can get relief from this pattern of thought but it is a road that takes time and a guiding hand you can trust.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i wish i knew what to say, thank you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Do not worry my friend, capitalism will never run dry of horrors and agonies it could inflict on you.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

The Greatest Generation went through the Great Depression and died en masse in WWII, and their children (Boomers) enjoyed unprecedented economic prosperity and unconcentrated wealth post-Gilded Age. This somehow makes Boomers experts on going through "tough times." Maybe the Gas Crisis? I dunno.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah they basically got a golden age outside of the Vietnam conflict. I feel zero sympathy if I hear a boomer talk about tough times. Maybe stop using it as justification for staying in the workforce until you’re 75?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arcella posted:

The Greatest Generation went through the Great Depression and died en masse in WWII, and their children (Boomers) enjoyed unprecedented economic prosperity and unconcentrated wealth post-Gilded Age. This somehow makes Boomers experts on going through "tough times." Maybe the Gas Crisis? I dunno.
Do you have ANY IDEA how many sherbet containers from a defunct milkhouse I had to throw out? To say nothing of cans of rusted nails? I can tell you, cleaning out the house of Depression babies is a trip. The house was neat as a pin, but holy God the garage, because so much stuff was kept in case it might come in handy.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Arcella posted:

Well, I think their constant existential threat was a nuclear holocaust, as well as Vietnam. Plenty of men dying and getting life long sicknesses (to say nothing of civilians in southeast asia) in the name of American empire. Much like today. But the hard times that I can mostly think of in their generation are:

- Racism, which this woman obviously didn't suffer.

- The AIDS crisis, and she didn't suffer because of that, either.

But we get to suffer her generation's awful economic policies and overconsumption. We even have our own existential threat!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Hi everyone long time reader first time poster :)

So I tried talking to my parents about some stuff back in December (e.g. respect the boundaries I set) and they did not respond well so I went no contact. They showed up at my house in February to 'make sure I was alive' and my mom told me how she was having to drink herself to sleep because she was so sad I wasn't talking to her.

Anyway, I tried talking to them again and reiterated my need for boundaries to be respected and was told "we were raised as methodists and believe 'honor your mother and father' and we feel disrespected. I'm not sure they're really interested in having a relationship built on mutual respect.

Any advice?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So I tried talking to my parents about some stuff back in December (e.g. respect the boundaries I set) and they did not respond well so I went no contact. They showed up at my house in February to 'make sure I was alive' and my mom told me how she was having to drink herself to sleep because she was so sad I wasn't talking to her.

Anyway, I tried talking to them again and reiterated my need for boundaries to be respected and was told "we were raised as methodists and believe 'honor your mother and father' and we feel disrespected. I'm not sure they're really interested in having a relationship built on mutual respect.

Any advice?

That's some textbook lovely parent NC reaction there.

Show up unannounced.
Guilt you for your NC decision hurting them.
Do nothing to acknowledge or apologize for the thing that made you go NC in the first place.
"Respect your Elders" means "Do not question me under any circumstances. I claim I tried to raise you to be a respectable adult, but I reserve the right to make your decisions for you anyway."

Keep it up. That just means it's working.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any advice?

Move and don’t give them or anyone that knows them your new address.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any advice?

My parents raised me in a methodist church and never used it as a weapon, and would be horrified at this behavior. They are 100% trying to muscle back into your life.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any advice?

Been there in a very similar situation, right up to stating boundaries and my dad refusing, asserting “honor your father and mother,” etc. It was a big blow up about politics, but I was angry because my dad was pushing my buttons and then blaming me for getting angry and saying I’m too quick to anger (I wasn’t the first one to get angry and calmly asked many times for him to drop the subject, which was me not voting for who he wanted me to vote for). It was a whole thing.

Not a lot of advice other than stick to your guns. Your boundaries are immovable walls regardless of what your parents do or say. If they approach the boundaries, give a polite reminder and if it persists, walk away from the situation. You can’t make them respect your boundaries but you can move your boundaries with you—walking away is still enforcing them.

If there is or was a big blow up and you reconcile, also remember reconciliation doesn’t mean restoration. This means that when contact is restored with a person, for the relationship to continue or begin again, the same old poo poo doesn’t work for you and you don’t put up with it. If you get long text messages or emails or whatever, don’t engage, keep replies (if you reply at all) short and pointed, don’t get into a pissing match because that’s more than likely what they want you to do. All in all don’t play their game. Your boundaries are your boundaries and they are worthy of respect as are you. More than likely, though, I hate to say it—but parents like yours and mine will never fully see us, their adult children, as anything but their children who need to be guided, and they react to pushback much like they did when we were kids. I’m still a rebellious teenager to my dad, despite the fact I have two kids of my own and my dad only ever knew how to yell at and lecture his one child. That probably isn’t gonna change and I wouldn’t expect it to if I were you. They probably won’t ever truly realize that honor goes both ways and they shouldn’t be treating their kids this way.

You have to decide if you can accept and deal with that in the maintenance of a relationship, or just cast the relationship aside and say gently caress it if they can’t adhere to your boundaries. You teach people how to treat you and if they can’t be taught, they gone.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any advice?

Buy your mom a nice bottle of wine and tell them you're going back to no contact.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any advice?

The sentence that comes after that "honor thy parents" is "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger." Feel free to call them out on their selective religious beliefs, or to stop calling them entirely.

ben shapino posted:

Buy your mom a nice bottle of wine and tell them you're going back to no contact.

I like your style.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

ohnobugs posted:

The sentence that comes after that "honor thy parents" is "Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger." Feel free to call them out on their selective religious beliefs, or to stop calling them entirely.

Yeah this. It’s something my dad in all his self-described theological knowledge, never seems to understand. Why understand that when you can provoke your kids to anger and then gaslight the gently caress out of them?

My dad’s fervor about eschatology dumps fuel on this fire because now I can’t even tell him I got vaccinated against Covid

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Run. Run away.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ohnobugs posted:

Run. Run away.

Yeah every point you make is gonna no only be ignored but also wedged into a pre-existing framework of ways third parties have corrupted you.

Your agency will never ever be respected, it's time to cut bait.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Because I took a theology course run by a Jesuit, and because I'm very very immature, I quote the bible back at these types and start yelling that they're heretics and/or apostates. It's amazing how rarely they actually sit down to read the bible, and are thusly very easy to troll this way.

Don't do that though. I used to snipe back at my mom and as satisfying as it was in the moment, not taking her calls at all is ten times better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the Bible exists to these people as a list of ways they can say they're right, and that's it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tell your parents to gently caress directly off and then never talk to them or see them ever again as long as you live.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Also, if your mother has already tried "I have to drink myself to sleep every night" expect that to escalate. When I first cut contact with my family there was about a year of texts, voicemails, emails, etc from my sister telling me that my mother might have COPD, my niece may have broken her leg in an accident, my father may have had another heart attack, etc. I never ever responded, even though I badly wanted to reply "Why are you calling me instead of 911?" Eventually the constant barrage stopped, but my sister will still get drunk every few months and either be "I miss my brother, my kids miss their uncle, mom and dad miss their son" or "You're the worst brother/uncle/son in the world"

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I feel like this thread would be the only place I know to really understand the sense of relief and completeness I got from hearing my dad say, not with malice but with reassurance: "I don't love you either, we don't have to do this."
It was honestly a freeing kindness on his part, the opening of a door to escape a burning building. I hope he's OK in there but I'm not going back in to check.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Also, if your mother has already tried "I have to drink myself to sleep every night" expect that to escalate. When I first cut contact with my family there was about a year of texts, voicemails, emails, etc from my sister telling me that my mother might have COPD, my niece may have broken her leg in an accident, my father may have had another heart attack, etc. I never ever responded, even though I badly wanted to reply "Why are you calling me instead of 911?" Eventually the constant barrage stopped, but my sister will still get drunk every few months and either be "I miss my brother, my kids miss their uncle, mom and dad miss their son" or "You're the worst brother/uncle/son in the world"

at this point my mom's occasional texts are just straight up "i should have gotten an abortion" and or "i am going to kill myself"

still ain't responding

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

at this point my mom's occasional texts are just straight up "i should have gotten an abortion" and or "i am going to kill myself"

still ain't responding

block her

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

boar guy posted:

block her

yes. you don’t have to take this

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

My stepfather faked a cancer scare when I cut him out of my life for how he was abusing my mom and straining the "functional" in being a functional alcoholic. Didn't work.

Speaking of the same man, when he finally went to rehab and got dry, I got to hear second hand about how he was all apologetic for the poo poo he pulled on me and my mom growing up, but somehow despite that he's never actually managed to apologize for anything even once, even now that he's not being outright cut out anymore and I'm willing to visit my mom when he's there?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
This comment has the usual level of delusion but there's also so much projection that the commenter is basically describing the situation in reverse: her daughter has moved on and the commenter has spent the past year-plus with this eating away at her and her life not so perfect as she wants to believe, as her other comments reveal.

quote:

They want the win, the upper hand, to feel as if they have conquered something, anything; but the cost is huge. They lost the family connection and more importantly our trust.

The conclusion the EC so desires, in my situation, it’s the second time around for me, probably still eats away at her. Although the EC thinks it is settled, every time they see a family engaged in another room, party, restaurant, new friends or family situation, they know what is missing; it is us. We were great to them and they know it. They have to swallow their pride and act like they have drawn the closure on us, but some how, we will always be existing. The EC lives are not as perfect as one would want to believe.

I attended a funeral last week, a good and loving woman in her 90’s, two of her three daughters attended the funeral. I ran into the non-attending daughter, later in the week, and I learned she was estranged from her mother, and I expressed my sympathies for her mother’s passing. In a cold and direct manner she said, “well it wasn’t like we had a relationship”. When your mother is in her 90’s, in a care facility, especially during Covid, and you refuse to see her for five years, how many options does the aging mother have to continue a relationship?

I was astounded, I could never treat my parents with such disrespect. I was at a total loss when my mother and father passed away and devastated to this day. I will never understand where two people cannot have a conversation, discuss their differences, agree or disagree with the difference, or refuse to tell the truth. When do EC learn to respect other’s rights to have an opinion, give mutual respect and see the importance of maintaining continued love for each other?

While the ED in our old life is trying to figure it all out, we have moved on with our lives, successfully; we were not provided an option. We have a lot of love and laughter still among us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

I was beaten as a kid for having an opinion, and you want me to turn around and respect yours, once I have agency? gently caress you.

I love getting calm Hitler'd by my parents.