Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it does own that even the title of that movie demands to be said in a bad Boston accent

To this day I will sometimes remember Martin Sheen saying "microprawsessahs" and smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

To this day I will sometimes remember Martin Sheen saying "microprawsessahs" and smile.

Sheen by far had the worst accent in the movie, should've followed Jack's lead and just not tried.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

feedmyleg posted:

What are y'all's favorite instances of the title of the movie being used in dialogue?

“Watching Norris in there gave me the idea that every little part of him was a whole. Every little piece was an individual animal with a built-in desire to protect its own life. You see, when a man bleeds, it's just tissue. But blood from one of you Bram Stoker’s Draculas won't obey when it's attacked.”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

His "impaawwssable" is also great.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1377382000626032641

Netflix has purchased the sequels to Knives Out for 400 million bucks.

Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig will return.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

DrVenkman posted:

And basically everyone is annoyed by it. I know some people have defended the decision by saying that this is the way they were always supposed to look and it was home video that got it wrong. Ok, maybe that's true, but if those releases have stayed somewhat consistent throughout the years, you probably have to accept the fact that the majority of people who are familiar with your movies are familiar with those versions, regardless of what you were thinking in 1998.

It's like how, despite being Director and Cinematographer approved, DO THE RIGHT THING went from being the hottest day of the year to kind of overcast.

yoohoo posted:

Wait what's this? I almost bought the criterion earlier this week.

The current Criterion release of Do the Right Thing restored the yellow tint so you're all set. The previous Criterion DVD release from way back and previous non-Criterion blu-rays have the problem with the color grading.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sheen by far had the worst accent in the movie, should've followed Jack's lead and just not tried.

I have a cartoonishly thick Massachusetts accent and I still think actors in movies trying to do it sound completely ridiculous. The one I always come back to is Tom Hanks ins Catch Me If You Can. "Ya son's been FAWGIN checks.". "Knawk knawk, go gently caress ya self.".

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Speaking of, Knives Out had a pretty decent title drop

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Zoolander

Didn’t Collateral Beauty have the title in dialogue?

Otherwise, my fave is probably A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Contemplating Existence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I have a cartoonishly thick Massachusetts accent and I still think actors in movies trying to do it sound completely ridiculous. The one I always come back to is Tom Hanks ins Catch Me If You Can. "Ya son's been FAWGIN checks.". "Knawk knawk, go gently caress ya self.".

I mean, even Matt Damon sounds like he's faking it in The Departed

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, even Matt Damon sounds like he's faking it in The Departed

I think that might be because he vocal coached his accent away. A lot of actors seem to use "bad JFK impression" as their reference point for New England accents. They really should just not even attempt it and just speak with their regular voice. Maybe it doesn't sound as hokey to people who aren't from around here.

And I say this as a person with an accent so thick that sometimes people who are from where I'm from think it sounds goofy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Weahrah uurah dah shawts, CPL593Hurah"

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
So who do y’all think would win in a fight: Dick Miller or Peter Falk?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Falk.

He had one eye and was a sailor the combination of which makes you a better fighter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it does own that even the title of that movie demands to be said in a bad Boston accent

It should have been titled The Depahrted,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I think that might be because he vocal coached his accent away. A lot of actors seem to use "bad JFK impression" as their reference point for New England accents. They really should just not even attempt it and just speak with their regular voice. Maybe it doesn't sound as hokey to people who aren't from around here.

And I say this as a person with an accent so thick that sometimes people who are from where I'm from think it sounds goofy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwbzGyC6t4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is the ultimate guide to Massachusetts accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3s_LbK_xDs

Note how he pronounces the "or" sound. Most people think it sounds like "aw" but it usually doesn't. I can't spell it phonetically. The Boston accent is very inconsistent in a lot of ways.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Falk.

He had one eye and was a sailor the combination of which makes you a better fighter.

Dick Miller survived getting run over by a backhoe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

. The Boston accent is very inconsistent in a lot of ways.

That's because there's a bunch of different versions. Like how we can recognize both Downton Abbey and Random Guy Ritchie Film as both featuring British accents and they also sound different.

Then you get to the West coast and everyone sounds exactly the same for 2000 miles north or south except for random words. I can't loving hear it, but the only way people in Oakland figured out I wasn't from there was how I pronounced "bag"

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That's because there's a bunch of different versions. Like how we can recognize both Downton Abbey and Random Guy Ritchie Film as both featuring British accents and they also sound different.

Then you get to the West coast and everyone sounds exactly the same for 2000 miles north or south except for random words. I can't loving hear it, but the only way people in Oakland figured out I wasn't from there was how I pronounced "bag"

I don't even mean depending on where you are in the state (although this is a factor) but with the individual speakers. That's why I mentioned the "or" sound. In that video I posted if you pay attention he pronounced it two different ways and I think it's one people are more likely to get wrong.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feedmyleg posted:

What are y'all's favorite instances of the title of the movie being used in dialogue?

"I promise you, Eli Sunday... There... Will... Be... Blood!"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flying Zamboni posted:

ahm nawt a fawkin cawp

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
That monkey lizard fight was a lot of fun.

I watched the OG Godzilla vs. Kong a thousand times on a lovely VHS as a teenager, but watching it on the Criterion Godzilla boxed set release was painful.

How did I not notice how racist all the scenes on the island were? I mean, knowing teenaged me I know the answer to that, but god drat is it bad.

I can’t decide if the Kong costume was kind of racist or if the island scenes were just so racist it made the whole movie feel suspect.

(In before CPL says “yes” to that question.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't even mean depending on where you are in the state (although this is a factor) but with the individual speakers. That's why I mentioned the "or" sound. In that video I posted if you pay attention he pronounced it two different ways and I think it's one people are more likely to get wrong.

If you told me that was anywhere in New England I would have believed you. I guess the "or" is different than I would say it, I lived in California for a while so I knew a lot of people from other places that tried very hard not to sound like they were from other places, probably hosed up my ear for accents.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Thank you for your answers. Follow-up question: who would win in a fight: gremlins or mars attacks?

CPL593H posted:

Note how he pronounces the "or" sound. Most people think it sounds like "aw" but it usually doesn't. I can't spell it phonetically. The Boston accent is very inconsistent in a lot of ways.

I loving love this guy. Love thinking about how much he and Bob of Bob’s Discount Furniture must hate each other’s guts.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Tutti Fruiti is the best jelly bean flavor. :hmmyes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

It doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy Kamen Rider × Super Sentai × Space Sheriff Gavan: Super Hero War Z.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2GBloYQ36A

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Did you hear the news?
What news?
About the assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Sr_dNVxs4

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Thank you for your answers. Follow-up question: who would win in a fight: gremlins or mars attacks?

I loving love this guy. Love thinking about how much he and Bob of Bob’s Discount Furniture must hate each other’s guts.

There use to be two Jordan's Furniture guys and I always wonder what happened to the other one. He probably draws fan art of the other two guys on the Cinnamon Toast Crunch box.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1377754533699461123?s=20

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a movie about a guy who didn't do anything

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Serious Man is hilarious.

e:
The EU somehow hosed up their vaccine rollout so badly that Britain and the US are going to have herd immunity before Europe. Which is sort of impressive.

I mean to be fair the EU is 27 different countries and has like 50 million more people than the US and UK combined but I thought the entire idea with union was to make this sort of stuff more streamlined so it's still a massive fuckup.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 2, 2021

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is I Heard You Paint Houses the only good movie or TV show Netflix has produced?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best thing Netflix has produced is American Vandal.

also Russian Doll.

Season one of Stranger Things was also good but I haven't watched the other two because they're entirely superfluous.

Though I don't know if those were just distributed by Netflix or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

porfiria posted:

Is I Heard You Paint Houses the only good movie or TV show Netflix has produced?

No.

Like 2 thirds of their Marvel poo poo, first couple seasons House of Cards, The Witcher, that show where Drew Barrymore is a zombie, Kim's Convience.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Also Bright, which is great if you like fantasy and/or buddy cop movies

And the mockumentary Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein is fun

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Skwirl posted:

No.

Like 2 thirds of their Marvel poo poo, first couple seasons House of Cards, The Witcher, that show where Drew Barrymore is a zombie, Kim's Convience.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, haven't seen it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kim's Convenience is great. I think CBC makes it, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i’m thinking of ending things was made for Netflix, right? Not just sold to them at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

porfiria posted:

Sense8 was fantastic, and there's a decent amount of great stuff that's been acquired by them that they've slapped their name on despite having no actual input on the original production, like Space Sweepers, which makes it harder to fish out the stuff that they actually have their hands on for this question.