Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

oral arguments mean gently caress all but it seems pretty clear that the supreme court took this case to take a sledgehammer to the ncaa’s definition of amateurism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

It’s an absolute massacre, Barrett is going in too: https://twitter.com/mccannsportslaw/status/1377269603571802118?s=21

And even Thomas! (Not just being a monstrous conservative, he never asks questions)

https://twitter.com/sportslawguy/status/1377261541087674375?s=21

said this in the football thread but he's asked more since scalia died and actually has talked quite a bit since they started doing remote hearings for covid so maybe he was just very shy

he's also a big nebraska football fan so this is one of the two things he cares about along with eliminating anything that could ever possibly be construed as affirmative action

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Meanwhile...
https://twitter.com/lsltweets/status/1377266795674005508?s=20
Lubbock area businesses are getting desperate for Beard to stay. This isn’t the first or only tweet of it’s kind that I’ve seen.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 31, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Strong "demands of a lone gunman holed up in a daycare" energy in that one

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/IowaHoops/status/1377019538190008320?s=19

He would have started and been pretty good if he'd been healthy I think but his dad died this year so can't blame him for wanting to be closer to home. Had a really nice year for Iowa off the bench and I think has some upside as a shooter maybe, so should be a nice pickup for someone

Closest to home would be Evansville, he'd be a monster in the MVC.

P5 close to home could mean Indiana which is going to have plenty of minutes available, especially if TJD and Race Thompson leave, or Louisville. Both are about the same distance from his family.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

shirts and skins posted:

Strong "demands of a lone gunman holed up in a daycare" energy in that one

University of Texas, etc

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoshuaParrott/status/1377350797973807104

Well that certainly would have helped against USC. That three point percentage tho

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Closest to home would be Evansville, he'd be a monster in the MVC.

P5 close to home could mean Indiana which is going to have plenty of minutes available, especially if TJD and Race Thompson leave, or Louisville. Both are about the same distance from his family.

I was thinking Evansville or Indiana State and yeah he'd kill it in the MVC if he's healthy. Evansville is definitely the closest, they're like 10 minutes away so that'd be nice for him. I don't know if he'd want to go to another Big Ten team since he's leaving on good terms but he'd definitely play at Indiana, not sure on Louisville but probably.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 31, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Well that certainly would have helped against USC. That three point percentage tho

Ah, discovered I still recoil at even the sight of Jeff Boschee's name. Which announcer was it that refused to pronounce his name correctly?

Feel like no matter how good that guy is this is kind of slumming it for Kansas? But that might just be me having Kim Anderson memories when I think D2 and basketball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Schools seem more willing to give a shot to lower division guys, especially if they can really shoot. iowa is maybe bringing in some D3 kid from Washington who made a billion threes to replace Bohannon unless the NIL thing goes through and he decides to do the Jess Settles plan.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't know about slumming it considering what recruits KU has been getting while under threat from the NCAA but I do know that a 6'9 240 pound guy absolutely draining threes is how KU gets knocked out of the tournament like every year so it would be nice to have one on our team for a change.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently he was going to sign with Texas but Shaka left.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Just like Tamar Bates

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If Texas manages to land Chris Beard I might actually consider rejoining the pep band when I get back there

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also Kansas is probably going to have 5 or 6 people leave so I'm cool with taking a chance on this dude. Will be a whole new team next year pretty much.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kelvin Sampson being a pariah for however long because he couldn't stop texting is really funny in retrospect given all the non-punished sex crimes that happened in the 2010s

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Not consequential really, but Torrence Watson is also transferring from Mizzou. This allows Martin to correct his recruiting whiffs, I guess, but it also means he has 2 years at most to right the ship or he has no excuses left, even from the biggest cheerleaders.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm sorry i can't believe a person is named "jack nunge"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm sorry i can't believe a person is named "jack nunge"

you cheer for a team with boo bouie and miller kopp

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i thank you for not including Ty Berry

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

boo buie is objectively a cool basketball name, imagine people coming across a Boo Buie lighting someone up in the first round of March Madness, unfortunately he goes to Northwestern so that will never happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah boo bouie is very good in hindsight should have just focused on miller kopp which sounds like a beer ad campaign staring david caruso

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

When howard stern gets really frustrated watching a northwestern game, do you think he says Bah, boo buie

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

MourningView posted:

I was thinking Evansville or Indiana State and yeah he'd kill it in the MVC if he's healthy. Evansville is definitely the closest, they're like 10 minutes away so that'd be nice for him. I don't know if he'd want to go to another Big Ten team since he's leaving on good terms but he'd definitely play at Indiana, not sure on Louisville but probably.

he's from newburgh which is an evansville suburb, just across the county line (its like saying someone is from "long island, near new york"). U Evansville is also going through a budgetary crisis right now and is imploding on an academic level so idk if the Aces would be able to recruit the coach's own kids

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 1, 2021

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I know these are just odds, and I'm very ignorant of college MBBall, but looking up Turgeon, that seems like it'd be a pretty underwhelming hire? A little success at Maryland, but kinda underperforming relative to their successes right before him.

Altman on the other hand seems like he'd be a solid hire. He has 40% of Oregon's all-time tournament appearances, all of which in the last 11 years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/status/1377627270068760577?s=19

happy that one and dones can potentially once again sign with unc without getting ruined by deputy dog's 1995 rear end offense

TipTow posted:

I know these are just odds, and I'm very ignorant of college MBBall, but looking up Turgeon, that seems like it'd be a pretty underwhelming hire? A little success at Maryland, but kinda underperforming relative to their successes right before him.

Altman on the other hand seems like he'd be a solid hire. He has 40% of Oregon's all-time tournament appearances, all of which in the last 11 years.

Turgeon would be a really bad hire, although he did an okay job this year given the roster issues I guess?

Altman is a great coach but also a huge piece of poo poo who has played multiple players who he knew were actively being investigated for sexual assault.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 1, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/BrendanRMarks/status/1377627270068760577?s=19

happy that one and dones can potentially once again sign with unc without getting ruined by deputy dog's 1995 rear end offense

it’s the worst day of the year so i’d wait for a second confirmation

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s the worst day of the year so i’d wait for a second confirmation

I mean like 10 reporters have tweeted it including Adam Schefter of all people so if it's a dumb April fool's thing it got a lot of people. The official UNC account just tweeted it too.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/UNC_Basketball/status/1377626749903761426

No I think it's for real...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i’m gonna need roy to hold up a newspaper and tell me he’s retiring on camera

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MourningView posted:

Turgeon would be a really bad hire, although he did an okay job this year given the roster issues I guess?

Altman is a great coach but also a huge piece of poo poo who has played multiple players who he knew were actively being investigated for sexual assault.

Well gently caress, those both suck. I won't pretend that OU is super squeaky clean but we've managed to avoid rape, etc. scandals over the last long while. I would hope Joe Castiglione knows to not hire someone who would jeopardize that, especially for the bastard stepchild basketball program.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
god i hope UNC fucks up this search

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1377638930175172609?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1377638930175172609?s=19

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

nobody ever thinks of the children

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

god i hope UNC fucks up this search

I mean they once hired Matt Doherty so

But honestly it has a good case for best job in the country and even if they just stick to Carolina Guys there are some decent options. Wes Miller has done a good job at UNC- Greensboro, I think Jerod Haase is good even if Stanford underachieved this year, and I even still think Stack is a good X and Os coach even if Vandy has been bad

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 1, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

I mean they once hired Matt Doherty so

But honestly it has a good case for best job in the country and even if they just stick to Carolina Guys there are some decent options. Wes Miller has done a good job and UNC- Greensboro, I think Jerod Haase is good even if Stanford underachieved this year, and I even still think Stack is a good X and Os coach even if Vandy has been bad

Any of those names would be extremely underwhelming to a fanbase that thinks it's their god-given right to win a championship at least every four to five years, every single one of those would be regarded as Doherty 2.0.

Thank goodness Beard got grabbed before UNC came calling. (Though he probably wouldn't be considered exciting enough, they have a fixation on stylish basketball as well.)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah they can chase big names and probably get someone interested I'm just saying even if they go the lazy route there are actual options in that coaching tree unlike, say, Duke where the best one is like Mike Brey

E: the best balance between big name and the playstyle they want is probably Nate Oats who seems very gettable for them and would probably be my first call for any big job

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 1, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

the other big Triangle basketball news: Cameron is done

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1377621677987790848?s=20

MourningView posted:

E: the best balance between big name and the playstyle they want is probably Nate Oats who seems very gettable for them and would probably be my first call for any big job

yeah that's the nightmare option for the rest of the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

elentar posted:

the other big Triangle basketball news: Cameron is done

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1377621677987790848?s=20

Indoor/outdoor basketball stadium? Is this april fools