Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Nuclear War posted:

Im an idiot and cant make spoilers work properly

Im probably in the extreme minority here but i didn't much care for penitent. Pariah was ok, but Beta feels... i don't wanna say mary sue cause thats not it, but she sure has a lot of skills and events happen just when they need to. The atmosphere of queen mab is perfect, good Abnetting as always, but the inquisitors and retinue aren't acting logically at all. Ravenor just hanging around without recruiting or bringing in more resources for the nth time when he ALWAYS gets outnumbered and outmanoeuvred is getting old. he could if he needs to, he's a goddamn inquisitor and no matter his status he has access to resources. Even Eisenhorn when he was first going rogue called in dozens of operatives from a wide network that felt real. Ravenor just feels like a mechanism to move the story forward by blunders to me now. Also, holy poo poo is Beta unlikeable .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

VanSandman posted:

Given (Pariah, Penitent, other Abnett works) that one of his Gaunt's Ghosts books remarks that Eisenhorn meets a horrible end
The only such reference I can think of concerns a different character, actually.

Meritous Felyx Chass had taken a seat in the corner of Gaunt’s quarters and was reading a data-slate. He got up when Gaunt walked in. Gaunt gestured to him to sit again.
   ‘Ravenor,’ said Chass, indicating the book. ‘I’ve never been particularly taken with his work.’
   ‘Really?’ said Gaunt.
   ‘He died badly, didn’t he?’
   Gaunt shrugged. ‘What matters is what he did first,’ he said.

(From Salvation's Reach, I think.)

Then again, maybe there are references to the character you mentioned as well somewhere in all those books, but the above is the only one I remember.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Lol, the Carcharodons are Jesuits.

They literally do the Spiritual Exercise/Examen.

Silent Hunters is really good.

E: hahahahaha the Drukhari baddie has a few really bad days. This is definitely worth a read.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 29, 2021

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

MMAgCh posted:

The only such reference I can think of concerns a different character, actually.

Meritous Felyx Chass had taken a seat in the corner of Gaunt’s quarters and was reading a data-slate. He got up when Gaunt walked in. Gaunt gestured to him to sit again.
   ‘Ravenor,’ said Chass, indicating the book. ‘I’ve never been particularly taken with his work.’
   ‘Really?’ said Gaunt.
   ‘He died badly, didn’t he?’
   Gaunt shrugged. ‘What matters is what he did first,’ he said.

(From Salvation's Reach, I think.)

Then again, maybe there are references to the character you mentioned as well somewhere in all those books, but the above is the only one I remember.

It's possible that the "offiical" story is that Ravenor died at the Kell Massif. The Eisenhorn books mention that Nayl died in 450 which we know isn't true. Eisenhorn himself has been reported dead a bunch of times.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

A Charcarodon Scout Sergeant leads his squad on a recon mission, circa M41:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The original Surfin' Dreads chapter.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Those Charcharodons granted the honour of wearing the Crux Terminatus, are given a Tactical Rocket Surfboard to ride into battle. Only 20 of these holy relics remain in service.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I have a critical Penitent question. I read Comus' first appearance as being totally nude. I can't remember what the book said now, but that's how I read it. Did he ever put clothes on? Or is he flying around saving the day dong out?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

abrosheen posted:

I have a critical Penitent question. I read Comus' first appearance as being totally nude. I can't remember what the book said now, but that's how I read it. Did he ever put clothes on? Or is he flying around saving the day dong out?

astartes are like ken dolls, like the angels in dogma

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

abrosheen posted:

CONSTANT, AGGRESSIVE ALBINO NUDITY

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
At no point does he ever put on clothes.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

abrosheen posted:

His wings weren't the only things flapping in the wind.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

e; the Charcaradons are the shark.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 30, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

e; the Charcaradons are the shark.

Not even joking. This author fleshed em out so well into ultra assholes. They Break a dark eldar lord with torture by exposing him to the pure horror of true oblivion.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

Im probably in the extreme minority here but i didn't much care for penitent. Pariah was ok, but Beta feels... i don't wanna say mary sue cause thats not it, but she sure has a lot of skills and events happen just when they need to. The atmosphere of queen mab is perfect, good Abnetting as always, but the inquisitors and retinue aren't acting logically at all. Ravenor just hanging around without recruiting or bringing in more resources for the nth time when he ALWAYS gets outnumbered and outmanoeuvred is getting old. he could if he needs to, he's a goddamn inquisitor and no matter his status he has access to resources. Even Eisenhorn when he was first going rogue called in dozens of operatives from a wide network that felt real. Ravenor just feels like a mechanism to move the story forward by blunders to me now. Also, holy poo poo is Beta unlikeable .

I'm kinda with you. I was getting new Star Wars/Rey vibes from her character, which is not a good thing...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Paddyo posted:

I'm kinda with you. I was getting new Star Wars/Rey vibes from her character, which is not a good thing...

So, so many alarm bells on this post. Nowhere this goes is good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shockeh posted:

So, so many alarm bells on this post. Nowhere this goes is good.

It's like an alarm clock made of alarms.

Also did you miss the fact that she spent the better part of the book running for her life?

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

astartes are like ken dolls, like the angels in dogma

I am not super lore savvy, and I've heard this before, but a section I vaguely remember from ADB's Grey Knights book made me think they were flaccidly endowed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

abrosheen posted:

I am not super lore savvy, and I've heard this before, but a section I vaguely remember from ADB's Grey Knights book made me think they were flaccidly endowed.

Piss gotta come out of somewhere.

And it is also stored in the balls after the full spacemarine transformation process.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Biplane posted:

Google says Mortis will be available for us plebs april 13. Is this bullshit? Amazon doesn't show it at all for me.

Barnes and Noble is also showing it as April 13th, so I think it's fairly reliable.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nuclear War posted:

Ravenor just hanging around without recruiting or bringing in more resources for the nth time when he ALWAYS gets outnumbered and outmanoeuvred is getting old. he could if he needs to, he's a goddamn inquisitor and no matter his status he has access to resources. Even Eisenhorn when he was first going rogue called in dozens of operatives from a wide network that felt real. Ravenor just feels like a mechanism to move the story forward by blunders to me now.[/spoiler] .

I think Ravenor has this whole thing going where he doesn't really want to kill Eisenhorn, and so he's avoiding calling in resources that might force his hand. The feeling I get from him is sort of a cross between "man aggressively half-assing a job he doesn't want to do in the hopes that the situation will change so that he doesn't have to do it at all" and "If anybody's going to put him down, it's going to be me." He's got a lot of personal reasons to want to avoid pulling a Commodus Voke and dropping the hammer in this particular situation.

abrosheen posted:

One of the inquistor's warband is in a gym locker room type thing with him and says something like "drat, that's a waste" when she sees Hyperion in the shower.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MariusLecter posted:

Piss gotta come out of somewhere.

And it is also stored in the balls after the full spacemarine transformation process.

Actually probably gets pumped out of a port in their hip or something and recycled by their armor.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

VanSandman posted:

It's like an alarm clock made of alarms.

Also did you miss the fact that she spent the better part of the book running for her life?

I specifically said in my post that I didn't want to use the term mary sue cause it's not right, but she does get an invincibleish super astartes to call in out of nowhere by cutting her hand, has all the cognitae skills like fighting and reasoning superpowers and she's snarky, uncontrollable and still wrong about tons of stuff to actual inquisitors but still gets given a prominent leadership position in the joint warband and i don't understand why? she basically calls herself an inquisitor by the end and my prediction is she'll ens up with one of our two inquisitors rosette and working for the ordos. i think Abnett can and has done better with his characters before, and Penitent felt like a lot of good ideas moving towards something too fast.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, Pariah Bequin was a fantastic character and I enjoyed watching her basically figure out the setting from scratch with nothing but raw guts and wiles. Penitent Bequin feels like she skipped 3-4 books of character growth and instantly became a confident, competent leader and we already have a bunch of those around.

The underworld adventure is where it started to go a bit sour IMO. It felt like a perfect 'first initiative' for an enthusiastic but reckless would-be hero who gets in over their head and does get some results but either (a) loses something/someone important in the process, or (b) has to learn some humility when the elder inquisitor has to bail them out (or both, as for Eisenhorn in Glaw House in Xenos). Instead she survives entirely unscathed, successfully completes her objective, and gains a literal guardian angel in the process.

Oh, and she also has a far too perfect grasp of the very complex characters surrounding her, she hangs out a little bit with Eisenhorn and even less with Ravenor but seems to know them as intimately as us readers do. Like I said, I loved how she spent the first book figuring out the setting, I was hoping she'd spend the second book digging further into the inquisitors and the Cognitae, giving us a look at the two institutions and their people through fresh eyes. Instead nope, she already knows virtually everything from page one.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Finished Master of Mankind last night.

It was rad.

Although I am beginning to turn on the boys in gold.

The Silent Sisters continue to be loving awesome in all ways.

notaspy fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm about halfway through Fallen Angels and I'm SHOCKED how much I'm enjoying the Dark Angels HH books. Like, Descent of Angels hit SO hard with me, it was awesome. And now I'm just eager to see exactly how Luther falls and where things go from there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Khizan posted:

One of the inquistor's warband is in a gym locker room type thing with him and says something like "drat, that's a waste" when she sees Hyperion in the shower.

And Hyperion goes "uuuh, what?" in response and has to ask a friend about it and still doesn't get it afterwards.

Oh yeah, got my copy of Liber Xenology at last yesterday and it's a sheer delight to read. The only thing I don't agree with fully is the portrayal of Ogryns as massive childish idiots. Still very partial to how they were depicted in their 1st ed introduction and wished that had remained.
But cockney Ratlings I'm all for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Canonically all marines except white scars are chemically castrated IIRC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about salamanders

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Improbable Lobster posted:

Canonically all marines except white scars are chemically castrated IIRC

Why aren't the White Scars? Can you not ride a bike without balls?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about salamanders

All hammer, no anvil

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

VanSandman posted:

I've always wondered if a vast part of Chogoris can trace their ancestry back to Jaghatai Khan, since it's such a blatant Mongols rip off

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Blood of the Emperor disappeared from B&N's website :ohdear:

I was going to go by my physical location since I only learned about it recently and didn't want to bother with preorder. Anyone know if something's off with its availability?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

VanSandman posted:

"Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog, Kor'sarro," Jaghatai said. I nearly fell off the bike, aghast. "You got a pussy in that thing?" I coughed and gulped. "Hahahaha, nice one, Jaghatai," I said

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Somebody animated the entire Last Church short story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbqDF_Q_sk

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Khizan posted:

I think Ravenor has this whole thing going where he doesn't really want to kill Eisenhorn, and so he's avoiding calling in resources that might force his hand. The feeling I get from him is sort of a cross between "man aggressively half-assing a job he doesn't want to do in the hopes that the situation will change so that he doesn't have to do it at all" and "If anybody's going to put him down, it's going to be me." He's got a lot of personal reasons to want to avoid pulling a Commodus Voke and dropping the hammer in this particular situation.

So where sre his minders? he should definitely have Ordos minders watching him since as I understandit this is a last chance thing. And there's still no plausible reason not to have recruited or brought at least a team able to deal with normal inquisitorial stuff that comes up. it's not great

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apparently the Astartes short film has had a re-release by Games Workshop that is "official" and they color tinted it green and changed the music?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently the Astartes short film has had a re-release by Games Workshop that is "official" and they color tinted it green and changed the music?

Man the last scene is really lacking without the original music.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
I think the original creator used music from Mass Effect or something, so it was a copyright change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Silent Hunters was really loving good everyone