Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

axolotl farmer posted:

checked nexus and this came out yesterday. now there's Dwemer dynamite fishing too!

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/47618

That's awesome! I'm gonna install that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nut posted:

I’ve been playing it takes two with a friend and it’s very good thank you for reading I also appreciate that you only need one copy of the game thanks for reading that too

I enjoyed reading both those things tbqh

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
:siren: I HAVE OFFICIALLY WON ADOM :siren:

it took way more than 100 tries, and I'm already rolling another character

send help plz

e: since ive spent way too much time on a game that came out before i was even born, ive had time to think

the game can be divided into certain parts;

life is cheap part: before reaching lvl~10 and getting to dwarf town, just about any random factor can end the game outright. "gently caress you, have a boss generated in the first area you enter, deal w/ it" luckily this takes p much about 10 minutes, and characters dying from random bullshit at that point is more or less funny
become the flame part: killing the serpent in the water temple is NBD, but then you have to deal w/ the ancient wyrm of chaos. if you haven't found any fire-protective gear, say goodbye to your stuff. either way, good luck w/ the wyrm (it is p much harder than the stuff you'll face for a long time, even with your stuff intact) this is often a couple of hours lost
cat dude: after dealing w/ the wyrm, you basically have much of the tools to avoid death, and the game is actually not that arbitrary anymore. death is usually due to not paying attention. well, at a certain point the cat lord is spawned and he will wreck you. the best bet is to hope that you can sneak through the level, never meeting him. gently caress that guy. maybe four hours or more at this point
post cat dude: congratulations! the dungeon is pretty much your oyster now. hopefully you wont get corrupted by chaos too bad, and remember where the cat lord is (i backtraced into him w/ one dude and whelp). closing the gates of chaos can be done in a planned fashion (unlike running into the cat lord, wth)

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 31, 2021

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

biosterous

Nosfereefer posted:

cat dude: after dealing w/ the wyrm, you basically have much of the tools to avoid death, and the game is actually not that arbitrary anymore. death is usually due to not paying attention. well, at a certain point the cat lord is spawned and he will wreck you. the best bet is to hope that you can sneak through the level, never meeting him. gently caress that guy. maybe four hours or more at this point

have you tried: not killing any cats

seriously it makes the encounter Very Very Different

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

biosterous posted:

have you tried: not killing any cats

seriously it makes the encounter Very Very Different

that would be such a frustrating experience, i would have to cheese entire dungeon floors, and what if im not able to outrun them? or if i meet one in the arena? why, its so drat ridiculous im definitely gonna try it

biosterous

Nosfereefer posted:

that would be such a frustrating experience, i would have to cheese entire dungeon floors, and what if im not able to outrun them? or if i meet one in the arena? why, its so drat ridiculous im definitely gonna try it

teleportation, casting calm monster, casting stun ray or slow monster and running, luring them into a room and then closing the door (cats don't have hands!!), giving them raw meat, playing music to calm them down

arena is a tricky one to be fair. if you've got a potion of exchange you can chuck it at them (and hope they fail to dodge) to turn them into something else. wands of trap creation might work too, although now that created traps are actually random (it used to be a nice predictable pattern!) it's harder to get a good trap. i think potions of raw chaos might transform them too?

e: also if any other monster/companion gets the kill you're okay, even if you tell your companion to attack the vicious cave tiger. not your fault that he listened to you!!

gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

Narita Boy on Ps4 looks so cool, but I don't know if it just has a good hype real and I'm not sure I want to pay $30 to find out.

nut

finished It Takes Two last night with a friend and am blown away. it took us over 10 hours and the variety and quality of gameplay is really really enjoyable!

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

finished It Takes Two last night with a friend and am blown away. it took us over 10 hours and the variety and quality of gameplay is really really enjoyable!

i'm afraid to play this game with anyone because i think we may end up married

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

Narita Boy on Ps4 looks so cool, but I don't know if it just has a good hype real and I'm not sure I want to pay $30 to find out.

If you've got a PC or Xbox it's on the Game Pass service. It looks pretty cool!

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Nosfereefer

biosterous posted:

not harming the kittens

I tried this, but at some point I got the confused status and a cave lion ran next to me. Instead of retreating, I insta-killed it. Otoh, I earlier lucked into a VERY good artefact weapon and therefore decided to persist in this doomed world I'd created. Also I realized that by a combination of Magic Mapping and Detect Creature, I could simply tunnel my way past the Cat Lord.

Also I've realized that teleportation control REALLY trivialises the final part of the game. With the first guy I got that far, I just assumed I couldn't teleport and just brute forced it all. The second got caught between four princes of hell, with one hp left (does the game actually save you from killing blows this way?) and just figuring, gently caress it, I have the spell, the intrinsic, this character is dead anyway. Turns out you can just zap to the exit, heal up, and return at will.

biosterous

yeah i think if you have lucky and/or fate smiles, there's a chance that a killing blow leaves you at 1hp instead

e: probably it's actually something like "on a killing blow make a roll with all your luck modifiers" but i usually forget about all except those two

gallery of sigs

he/him

Nosfereefer

figured it had to be something like that. ive ended up on 1 hp so many times

e: jesus, steam tells me ive spent almost 300 hours on this game already. i need to kick this addiction. i wonder if i can beat zangband tk...

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 3, 2021

Nosfereefer

this is a cry for help, but also one of the deepest carnal pleasures known to man

FutonForensic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-E6ynKM7Lo

biosterous

elba scrolls

gallery of sigs

he/him

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I truly will never tire of morrowind memes

StupidSexyMothman

finally started to dig into the backlog & fired up Collection of Mana yesterday

i'm using my nintendo switch as a game boy emulator at the moment. idk how much further into this game i'm going to go, i started riding the chocobo and hosed myself over when i got to the next dungeon and everything was two-shotting me while i had to hit it a dozen times to kill it because i apparently was supposed to grind for levels before this dungeon, whoops

Bobby Deluxe

i am very much enjoying pillars of eternity on ps4 and that is my review

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

monster hunter rise is great to have on switch so i can feel extra bad about being terrible at it while playing on a tv or on the go!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rockman Reserve posted:

monster hunter rise is great to have on switch so i can feel extra bad about being terrible at it while playing on a tv or on the go!

update: i messed around in the expedition mission mode and killed the big bear thing after a huge long drawn-out fight that would have killed me if i screwed it up even a little bit more, used its stuff to craft a bunch of gear and a new weapon, did the same expedition and kicked its butt much more thoroughly and soundly and got most of the rest of the set complete

The Grind Begins

sb hermit

oldskool posted:

finally started to dig into the backlog & fired up Collection of Mana yesterday

i'm using my nintendo switch as a game boy emulator at the moment. idk how much further into this game i'm going to go, i started riding the chocobo and hosed myself over when i got to the next dungeon and everything was two-shotting me while i had to hit it a dozen times to kill it because i apparently was supposed to grind for levels before this dungeon, whoops

Hmm. I would have just went straight to SoM.

I don't hold any nostalgia for GB games

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Persona 5 Strikers is a good and short Persona/Warriors hybrid. Loved it to bits but the new game + being locked behind the Reaper fight was kinda silly game design

Finger Prince

I picked up Narita Boy. It's very slick and cool, but the boss fights are bullshit and really not my bag. Just die over and over until you work out the exact sequence and timing of attacks required to beat it. A bit like old school mega man. Is it worth the $30 on the playstation store? To me, probably not, but I think other people (maybe dark souls players) might get more satisfaction out of it.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Finger Prince posted:

I picked up Narita Boy. It's very slick and cool, but the boss fights are bullshit and really not my bag. Just die over and over until you work out the exact sequence and timing of attacks required to beat it. A bit like old school mega man. Is it worth the $30 on the playstation store? To me, probably not, but I think other people (maybe dark souls players) might get more satisfaction out of it.

If you are still up for a retro platformer I really really liked Cyber Shadow. The controls feel perfect and every new move you acquire throughout the game feel great and make for interesting new options. It's kinda like NES Ninja Gaiden with lots of old vg references to things like Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario 1 and I'm sure many others I missed. It's hard but ultimately very fair. The bosses are pretty tricky but aside from the very last boss I was able to find a way to avoid all of their attacks so they're not unfair hard like some old NES bosses.

It's another I played on Game Pass but I believe there are ps4/ps5 versions also.

Joey McChrist

i picked up persona 5 royal a couple of days ago its a lot of fun. i played through the original but i'm liking a lot of the QoL updates, and the updated portraits and music.

biosterous

halo: master chief collection was (might still be?) on sale on steam and fuuuuuuuck i have been playing a lot of halo this weekend. i already loved these games on console and they're even better when i can just click on the bad guys to make them fall down instead of wrestling with thumbsticks! i am like 50x better at aiming with a mouse it seems

gallery of sigs

he/him

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've also been doing that there halo mcc but i use an xbox controller for nostalgia purposes

FutonForensic

I have rediscovered my copy of elite beat agents

Finger Prince

I got Everspace on steam on sale. At first I was not a fan of the roguelike die over and over, but once I got used to it I'm kind of enjoying it. I like how they made it part of the story. It also helps that the systems are randomized each restart, and you keep the perks you've earned. I'd love a cheat that gave you infinite time before the aliens chase you to the next system. The game is gorgeous and scratches that fly around in space, mine some asteroids, explore some wrecks, blast some outlaws itch that Elite Dangerous absolutely did not.

Prof. Crocodile

I think I may give up on final fantasy 9. I feel like I should be enjoying it, but there are so many cutscenes--the whole game so far has been like going from one cutscene to the next. I just can't get into the game the way it's structured for whatever reason.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
FF9 was my least fav of the psone era for same reasons. i feel ya. it doesnt change much from my recollection

more falafel please

forums poster

Finger Prince posted:

I got Everspace on steam on sale. At first I was not a fan of the roguelike die over and over, but once I got used to it I'm kind of enjoying it. I like how they made it part of the story. It also helps that the systems are randomized each restart, and you keep the perks you've earned. I'd love a cheat that gave you infinite time before the aliens chase you to the next system. The game is gorgeous and scratches that fly around in space, mine some asteroids, explore some wrecks, blast some outlaws itch that Elite Dangerous absolutely did not.

if you haven't played hades you should try it. it does a really good job making the rogue like part feel like the actual progression of the game instead of an arbitrary punishment system

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Rarity

~*4 LIFE*~

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think I may give up on final fantasy 9. I feel like I should be enjoying it, but there are so many cutscenes--the whole game so far has been like going from one cutscene to the next. I just can't get into the game the way it's structured for whatever reason.

It's a story-heavy start for sure. It settles into more of a rhythm once you get to the Evil Forest a few hours in so if you're close to that I'd suggest pushing through. FF9 is my fave game of all time, I love the characters and the soundtrack in particular. However if you''re not interested in JRPG stories it may not be for you. I'm not sure why you'd want to play it in the first place when that's the main selling point.

I'm a pretty pony! Sig credits: How Wonderful!, Heather Papps, MAP20 Gotcha, Plant MONSTER.

itry

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Sally posted:

FF9 was my least fav of the psone era for same reasons. i feel ya. it doesnt change much from my recollection

This stuff is what makes me think there's a negative correlation between the quality/fun-factor of Square's FF games and their fixation on pre-rendered cutscenes. Someone in there desperately wants to live in a world where the FF movies were a commercial and critical success.

Finger Prince posted:

I really really want Everspace 2 to be good because I too have that itch

sb hermit

itry posted:

This stuff is what makes me think there's a negative correlation between the quality/fun-factor of Square's FF games and their fixation on pre-rendered cutscenes. Someone in there desperately wants to live in a world where the FF movies were a commercial and critical success.

I actually liked The Spirits Within.... but for its groundbreaking visuals, mostly.

After watching it a few times, I began to appreciate the complex story as well.

The amazing worldbuilding would have been perfect for a 40 hr game, but absolutely confusing when compressed into two hours.

itry

I watched it once because of the brand, and I guess I was interested in the graphics. All I remember from it is a scene in a... soul cave? Lots of orange.

Now that I'm looking at the imdb page I see that they also had a bunch of A-listers doing VA work.

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
i quite enjoyed the Spirits Within! i've always been a sucker for when FF leans into sci-fi over fantasy, though. it really was a shame it didn't do well... i would've been interested in seeing more done with that particular Final Fantasy, but I guess Square just wants to pretend it never happened.

Finger Prince

Everspace made me think of that Tom Cruise movie End of Tomorrow, where he dies over and over and keeps restarting, each time with a better idea of what's going on. I suddenly realized holy poo poo, that movie is a roguelike, if you told it with a story!

more falafel please posted:

if you haven't played hades you should try it. it does a really good job making the rogue like part feel like the actual progression of the game instead of an arbitrary punishment system

Just checked it out, that looks pretty fun! I'll see if it goes on sale.

Has anyone had any experience with non 8bitdo arcade sticks? I want to get one, but 8bitdo ones aren't sold in Canada. I can get a Mayflash one, but it's not wireless and I kind of need that (or like a 15' USB extension cord for people to trip over). I thought about getting a kit, but I haven't really got the means to build or 3d print and enclosure at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that's literally the conceit of the manga that Edge of Tomorrow is based on right?

Also I really wanted to like everspace but it never really grabbed me