Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Loved the film, even if the humans parts were a little too stupid the monster fights were excellent.

Did anyone else think that the Hollow Earth is probably the closest the MonsterVerse will get to having a Monster Island?

Hoping thats the case so we can have a future film feature Minilla shenangians with a even grumpier Godzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What doesn't make sense about it?

The ancient Kong society used dead godzillas as a power source. This is definitely a brilliant idea that could never go wrong, has no parallels to what humanity is doing in the present, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with Kong civilization being wiped out. :v:

does this make kong some kind of tarzan or feral child?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Xguard86 posted:

does this make kong some kind of tarzan or feral child?

It makes him a 104-foot tall version of Jia.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What doesn't make sense about it?

The ancient Kong society used dead godzillas as a power source. This is definitely a brilliant idea that could never go wrong, has no parallels to what humanity is doing in the present, and couldn't possibly have anything to do with Kong civilization being wiped out. :v:

Just the part about using your enemy’s image to surround your throne. Like if the Oval Office was the Swastika Office.

But maybe the Kongs were not interior designers and it was just an effect of using the power?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Definitely a 9/10. This movie owned, just a non-stop ride. The MBB plot should've been dropped entirely but we were mercifully given only like five lines of dialogue from Weird Dad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zero One posted:

Just the part about using your enemy’s image to surround your throne. Like if the Oval Office was the Swastika Office.

But maybe the Kongs were not interior designers and it was just an effect of using the power?

You mean kind of like building a giant mechanical godzilla to prove your superiority over titankind?

Also, honestly, the bird-of-prey iconography that the United States and Germany both lean(ed) on pretty hard comes from the same place. And literally building your throne atop the bones of your defeated enemies is pretty metal.

The only problem is, of course -- "Godzilla is not your enemy."

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

bondster posted:

Loved the film, even if the humans parts were a little too stupid the monster fights were excellent.

Did anyone else think that the Hollow Earth is probably the closest the MonsterVerse will get to having a Monster Island?

Hoping thats the case so we can have a future film feature Minilla shenangians with a even grumpier Godzilla

I think I saw an angurius looking monster in the Hollow Earth. Anyone else catch that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

anyways my favorite thing about this film is how much of it is a low-key Evangelion remake lol

like APEX HQ is literally just NERV HQ, complete with a traumatized Japanese guy piloting a giant bio-mecha through a psychic link in order to prove himself to his father

i wish they'd spent a little more time on that character and less on the KotM carry-overs

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Started out reasonable, then took a wonderful dive to bonkersville. The last third felt pretty rushed though, I think maybe I like KotM more. I'll have to see it again to be sure.

Getting pretty sick of "The conspiracy theory character has been right all along!!" tropes though. The human stuff here is whatever but that part is lazy and unhelpful at best, I'm pretty sick of conspiracies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i liked Bernie's characterization. he's introduced as this goofy annoying idiot but the very first scene he's in establishes that it's just an act and he's taking advantage of other people's contempt for him in order to have greater freedom / autonomy. it also mirrors Kong hiding his intelligence from Monarch and Jia and Ilene hiding what she's actually saying from Nathan

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

anyways my favorite thing about this film is how much of it is a low-key Evangelion remake lol

like APEX HQ is literally just NERV HQ, complete with a traumatized Japanese guy piloting a giant bio-mecha through a psychic link in order to prove himself to his father

i wish they'd spent a little more time on that character and less on the KotM carry-overs
I thought there was a sly Eva reference when Ren expresses doubt about activating Mechagodzilla with the energy source and Bossman says, "Get in the drat chair."

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

When Kong lands on the boat and shifts the weight, planes start sliding, then he shifts it back I was deeeeeeelighted

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That was a tedious, poorly edited, visually disorienting mess. Kong's size seemed to change constantly throughout the film depending on what he had to interact with, as well. I know complaining about the plot of a movie like this is missing the point but everything anyone ever said was some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. I cannot recommend against this movie enough.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Repeating that the human plot line is dumb, but goddamn are the fight scenes fun.

Kong getting airlifted the rest of the way to Antartica as a nod to KKvG put a big smile on my face.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also Adam Wingard taking a bunch of cues from Evangelion (which has some minor but cutting commentary about how America tries to dictate policy to Japan) in his movie about the relationship between the military-industrial complex and colonialism makes perfect sense as a follow-up to Death Note, which took a cartoon/comic about class and status signifiers in Japan and made it into a movie about race relations in the U.S.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also Adam Wingard taking a bunch of cues from Evangelion (which has some minor but cutting commentary about how America tries to dictate policy to Japan) in his movie about the relationship between the military-industrial complex and colonialism makes perfect sense as a follow-up to Death Note, which took a cartoon/comic about class and status signifiers in Japan and made it into a movie about race relations in the U.S.

while I will agree that he's superficially aping (:haw:) some set pieces from evangelion I think you're giving him far too much credit overall

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Goddamn that was rad. Really wish I could've seen this in a theatre because the sound and the fight choreography seemed like it shook walls. The neon Hong Kong fight and the Hollow Earth stuff probably looked great on a big screen as well. I think it was to this movie's benefit that it was mostly about Kong because he's inherently likeable and the relationship with Jia was sweet. Overall the human stuff was far less annoying than what KOTM offered and that's a win in itself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

WEH posted:

while I will agree that he's superficially aping (:haw:) some set pieces from evangelion I think you're giving him far too much credit overall

the man has made four movies that are all incredibly politically charged (You're Next, The Guest, Death Note, and now GvK) and are blatantly about how capitalism and privilege are the real monsters, with two of them borrowing liberally from anime and another one that's basically a riff on Captain America.

i don't think it's much of a stretch either to assume that the politics are deliberate or that he knows his nerd poo poo; they clearly are, and he clearly does

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 1, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I deeply enjoyed King Kong's characterization of "Old Man Who Is Too Old For This poo poo."

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ImpAtom posted:

I deeply enjoyed King Kong's characterization of "Old Man Who Is Too Old For This poo poo."

The shot of him begrudgingly putting his shoulder socket back into place :allears:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Another thing...

Was Apex working with Monarch? It didn't seem like it but they were able to just borrow Kong from his Monarch cage and take him on a Navy fleet to a Monarch station.

Also they very quickly jumped between Hollow Earth is crackpot nonsense to oh it's easily proven by Apex satellites but Monarch still doesn't believe. Dr. Hollow Earth was ex-Monarch after the stuff with his brother and people not beliving his theories so he left. But Monarch built that huge facility over the hole in Antarctica and they had previously been aware of the portals in KOTM. So they did know but just stopped trying to figure it out?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I expected some BvS similarities; the title, the way the film focuses on the weaker of the pair, the third act baddie who the title fight teams up against, sure. But I love that Mechagodzilla really was basically Doomsday. I didn't expect it to be an unholy union of man's hubris and the corpse of the villain from the last one.

And the Hollow Earth is a little bit like Krypton, too; a powerful civilization destroyed by meddling with easy power sources.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 1, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That was a tedious, poorly edited, visually disorienting mess. Kong's size seemed to change constantly throughout the film depending on what he had to interact with, as well. I know complaining about the plot of a movie like this is missing the point but everything anyone ever said was some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. I cannot recommend against this movie enough.

The one thing about kaiju films is that bad reviews basically read the same no matter the decade. Well, maybe not the 'disorienting' part but the rest could have been written in the 60s.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The first 20 minutes of this had me worried, a bit of a shock how dumb it was, "wanna hold Kong hostage and take him to the center of the Earth?" , "ok sure why not" but it no doubt launched like a missile for the rest of it. Thought the Hollow Earth plot and the future technology was groovy and made it a unique entry.

The girl's bond with Kong was touching, and I did not find "team Godzilla" to be as bad as some say.

And yeah, the fights were brutal and awesome.

Skull Island > GvsKong > G'14 > KotM (imo)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:viggo:

Umm I think you will find that Godzilla would be too large to stand on the deck of an aircraft carrier without sinking it.

What’s that?

It did sink?

Complaint withdrawn.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mariooncrack posted:

I think I saw an angurius looking monster in the Hollow Earth. Anyone else catch that?

My husband disagrees but I believe. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mantis42 posted:

The one thing about kaiju films is that bad reviews basically read the same no matter the decade. Well, maybe not the 'disorienting' part but the rest could have been written in the 60s.

But I love those old kaiju films. They're not edited like someone tried to condense an entire season's worth of a show into a single film, for one thing. And they're actually really good with the fake perspective tricks, even if it's really, really obvious when you're looking at a miniature most of the time. Also, Godzilla 1954, for example is 98 minutes long. That is not bloated at all. It's a film that takes its time building things up and paying them off, but doesn't have a single wasted scene, either. The entire hollow earth/titan lore is a huge yawn-fest in this movie (and KOTM), and leads to a ton of exposition the audience and film absolutely don't need.

I understand the urge to want to dismiss criticism of genre films as coming from outsiders who just don't get it, but I don't dislike this turd because it's a Godzilla movie, I dislike it because I think it's a bad Godzilla movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Maybe (although I disagree), but it's a great Kong movie.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the man has made four movies that are all incredibly politically charged (You're Next, The Guest, Death Note, and now GvK) and are blatantly about how capitalism and privilege are the real monsters, with two of them borrowing liberally from anime and another one that's basically a riff on Captain America.

i don't think it's much of a stretch either to assume that the politics are deliberate or that he knows his nerd poo poo; they clearly are, and he clearly does

I don't necessarily disagree that he as a director has taken that stance, however, I do think that if that was indeed his intent it was hamfisted to the detriment of his point

Mantis42 posted:

I adore the films outside of a few from millenium. I defended the hell out of 2014 and KotM. I'm not going to bat for this one because it's insulting and bad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

WEH posted:

I don't necessarily disagree that he as a director has taken that stance, however, I do think that if that was indeed his intent it was hamfisted to the detriment of his point

subtlety is overrated

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I thought it was pretty entertaining.

Since Kong is relatable it meant we got to skip a lot of the annoying human parts that have plagued the Legendary series since G14.

Although if they get to do another one I want something real dumb like the Xillians.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

For context on my high rating, I thought KotM was really, really bad.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think this is enjoyable enough, but more than anything else this film's editing was absolutely loving terrible. there were so many cuts to reaction shots that were both disruptive and unnecessary, some really godawful ADR, and just about all the human scenes were shot in the most perfunctory, uncaring way possible

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well, GvK is loving great. Almost all of it didn't make any sense, but the movie doesn't give a gently caress because it knows you just want to see monke punch lizard and lol at how weird it gets. It's like they just kept saying "we don't give a gently caress" and just kept on ramping up the weird.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I found the human parts of this movie better than KOTM because they were really silly and none of the primary characters turned out to be responsible for millions of deaths except for the mustache-twirling bad guy.

I was a bit dissapointed at Serazawa's son buying into his roll.

If anyone wants 'realistic' Godzilla films with believable human characters you have 2 choices: Godzilla 1954 and Shin Godzilla.

I have a feeling this movie will be a big hit with G fans in Japan, just like KOTM was.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i liked Bernie's characterization. he's introduced as this goofy annoying idiot but the very first scene he's in establishes that it's just an act and he's taking advantage of other people's contempt for him in order to have greater freedom / autonomy. it also mirrors Kong hiding his intelligence from Monarch and Jia and Ilene hiding what she's actually saying from Nathan
Agree 100%, I am kinda surprised by how many "all the human stuff is dumb" reactions are happening.

With Kong's legacy being so strongly tied to racist ideas of "noble savagery" etc., Bernie was wonderful to me. This movie completely sidelined the stupid patriarchal white guy (no offense to Kyle Chandler, it's just what the character was) in favor of a genuinely interesting goofy Black man. And I've never seen a better use of the "comedically paranoid conspiracy theorist" character than one who has ingrained obnoxiousness into his personality for five years specifically so that he won't be noticed in his investigations. Maybe I'm biased because I love him in Atlanta.

The human stories are goofy, absurd, and funny, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. This movie was awesome.

e: and yeah same as teagone etc., I really ended up hating KotM but loved this.

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 1, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Beamed posted:

For context on my high rating, I thought KotM was really, really bad.

This is me too. I hated KotM. I loving love GvK.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

teagone posted:

This is me too. I hated KotM. I loving love GvK.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I enjoyed parts of KoTM (and I still contend it has the best Rodan committed to film) but yeah GvK is a much much better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Dumbing down the equation 2014 used to this level is not going to result in better monsterverse films. You'll see!