Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I recently saw this movie for the first time as a double feature with my first time watching Ready or Not.

That was a good combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SirSamVimes posted:

I recently saw this movie for the first time as a double feature with my first time watching Ready or Not.

That was a good combo.

They are excellent companion films. :hmmyes:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

They are excellent companion films. :hmmyes:

Maybe try a triple feature including You're Next.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Netflix have made a deal with Rian Johnson for two Knives Out sequels. :toot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Rian Johnson fans eatin GOOD. Two more Benoit Blanc mysteries and three more Stars War

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

jivjov posted:

Rian Johnson fans eatin GOOD. Two more Benoit Blanc mysteries and three more Stars War

I'm not convinced the latter is going to happen. I suspect Disney is letting its D+ series marinate for a bit before they decide where to go with features, so I'm guessing a quiet cancellation will happen when everyone's distracted.

But more Benoit Blanc, for sure. The "different accent for every movie" thing is probably asking too much, but I still want it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xealot posted:

I'm not convinced the latter is going to happen. I suspect Disney is letting its D+ series marinate for a bit before they decide where to go with features, so I'm guessing a quiet cancellation will happen when everyone's distracted.

But more Benoit Blanc, for sure. The "different accent for every movie" thing is probably asking too much, but I still want it.

He was interviewed like....3 weeks ago and confirmed his Star Wars trilogy is still happening.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Always assume any movie that doesn't have firm dates for filming and release isn't going to happen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's no way Disney's just gonna let the writer/director of their best made, well-received, zero production drama Star Wars feature NOT make three more movies for them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It’s not gonna happen.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I still don't know if I like the idea that each movie has Craig using a different outrageous accent, or he keeps the same one from the first film.

Just make him say his lines in both a new ridiculous accent and the current Blanc one.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Shoot all Daniel Craig's scenes twice, with two accents, then intercut either performance together completely randomly. Never address it in the text.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s not gonna happen.

Yeah, I've said this before, but Disney seems insanely nervous about Star Wars. They want all their poo poo to be Marvel, and the mixed reactions / diminishing returns for Solo and the sequel trilogy probably scared the poo poo out of them.

I'm fully expecting that if their spinoffs to Mandalorian continue to eclipse the JJ trilogy in popular esteem, they'll jettison every single connection they have to 7/8/9, and do all they can to capitalize on the Favreau/Filoni material instead. Regardless of your feelings about Last Jedi, it's Disney. They go where the money is, and I'd bet you there's way more demand for Grogu merch than Porgs. More people want to buy Full Beskar Mando and Ahsoka figures than Hermit Luke or Admiral Holdo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Xealot posted:

Shoot all Daniel Craig's scenes twice, with two accents, then intercut either performance together completely randomly. Never address it in the text.

Do it like Clue and have different theaters use different accents.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

There's no way Disney's just gonna let the writer/director of their best made, well-received, zero production drama Star Wars feature NOT make three more movies for them.

Lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A movie so well received they spent the next movie undoing it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On RT Last Jedi has a 90% critical reception, Rise of Skywalker has a 50% score.

TLJ's user reviews are worse, because it features a lady with purple hair.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I want to again point out the "no production drama" thing. Of all the disney Star Wars theatrical features, TLJ is the ONLY one of them to not eat a mid-production delay, need major re-writes or re-shoots, get a last minute change of director or major role recast.

A Rian Johnson film production is a well run ship that turns in a finished product on time and on budget

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
If Rian Johnson gets his Star Wars it will be a low budget, side story type thing and will not be marketed as the new mainline Star Wars. Disney will not give him the keys to that because they are so risk averse and scared of the fans. I say this as a huge Johnson fan and a lover of episode 8.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think, in the next few years, most film companies, but Disney especially, are going to get even more risk averse. Covid was an unexpected demonstration of how fragile their revenue streams actually are. On the other hand, we might see the return of the mid budget movie.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

On the other hand, we might see the return of the mid budget movie.

This would be great, and I hope you’re right. They seem to be gambling on the streaming shows as the new version of the mid budget movie though. I don’t seem them doing a small scale Star Wars story as a feature film, but I also don’t see them giving Rian Johnson $200 million for a movie again.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

jivjov posted:

I want to again point out the "no production drama" thing. Of all the disney Star Wars theatrical features, TLJ is the ONLY one of them to not eat a mid-production delay, need major re-writes or re-shoots, get a last minute change of director or major role recast.

A Rian Johnson film production is a well run ship that turns in a finished product on time and on budget

Too bad he's untalented though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

porfiria posted:

Too bad he's untalented though.

5 excellent feature films show that he's got a goodly bit of talent

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Brick is his only good movie imo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I get Last Jedi not being folks' cup of tea, sorta, but what's wrong with Knives Out?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jivjov posted:

Be that as it may, Johnson's trilogy was announced back in 2017 and is no closer to being a reality now then it was back then, no scripts, no casting, no shooting dates, and he keeps adding on other projects, like these Knives Out sequels, that mystery show for Hulu, and his new production company. So as of this moment, I'd have to say the project is mostly dead, but that's right now, I don't have a crystal ball, and they very well might announce something.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He should just combine both franchises and have murder mysteries that are inexplicably set in the Star Wars universe and Benoit Blanc is a detective pretending to be a Jedi or a Jedi pretending to be a detective or something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

YggiDee posted:

He should just combine both franchises and have murder mysteries that are inexplicably set in the Star Wars universe and Benoit Blanc is a detective pretending to be a Jedi or a Jedi pretending to be a detective or something.

He should just be Benoit Blanc from the hit film Knives Out, dropped into the Star Wars universe with no explanation

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m intrigued by the little snippet buried in that article that the next Knives Out film starts shooting in June, in Greece. Benoit going international!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Colonel Whitey posted:

He should just be Benoit Blanc from the hit film Knives Out, dropped into the Star Wars universe with no explanation

:hmmyes:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The_Doctor posted:

I’m intrigued by the little snippet buried in that article that the next Knives Out film starts shooting in June, in Greece. Benoit going international!

Today, the world, tomorrow, the stars!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

jivjov posted:

I mean, you could literally say the same of television where the show-runner is Scott Buck. That's faint praise.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rian Johnson fine. Knives Out is a great movie, and I think he's a talented director. But his Star Wars was kind of an anti-Star Wars...you can't be surprised that a giant corporation might see that as an unnecessary risk going forward vs. the sure-thing fan service they're currently making. Rian Johnson made a movie where Luke's heroism is undermined to make a point, and Jon Favreau made a show where Luke slices through killbots like wet paper and YouTube filled up with reaction videos of people crying over how awesome it was. They're probably gonna give the people what they want.

The_Doctor posted:

It'll be an even bigger pivot. He's a treasure hunter now!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I mean I disagree strongly that episode 8 was an anti Star Wars and that Luke’s heroism was undermined (he did the most heroic thing possible in the end but whatever this isn’t the Star Wars thread) but otherwise yes your point is correct that they’re going to stick with the fan service side of things. I guess the issue is that episode 8 is seen that way so whether it’s actually anti Star Wars or not is of no consequence if the fans have decided it is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Episode 8 desperately wanted to be a trilogy on it's own.

But more to the point, 2 more Knives out movies for Netflix?! There was much rejoicing.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

jivjov posted:

He was interviewed like....3 weeks ago and confirmed his Star Wars trilogy is still happening.

That "interview" was with a Reylo nutcase who won a charity auction. I don't think you know how much of Hollywood vernacular is blowing smoke about projects that will never, ever happen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

I think, in the next few years, most film companies, but Disney especially, are going to get even more risk averse. Covid was an unexpected demonstration of how fragile their revenue streams actually are. On the other hand, we might see the return of the mid budget movie.

This is ironic on the heels of news that the Knives Out sequels were sold for five times the first films budget.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

live with fruit posted:

This is ironic on the heels of news that the Knives Out sequels were sold for five times the first films budget.

Netflix makes more sense if you imagine that nobody on the board knows how much anything is supposed to cost.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

drat, Knives Out was so fun on the big screen :(

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Given the pushback from filmmakers after their movies get pushed to streaming, I wonder if this is a case of Netflix looking for anybody interested in taking their money and Johnson just being the one to raise his hand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

If Rian Johnson gets his Star Wars it will be a low budget, side story type thing and will not be marketed as the new mainline Star Wars. Disney will not give him the keys to that because they are so risk averse and scared of the fans. I say this as a huge Johnson fan and a lover of episode 8.

Low budget would still be like 150 mill per movie which is enough to make another good sw movie imho.

I’m glad he’s getting paid for KO. 400 mill for two movies means (to me) he’s getting at least 100 mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Filming in Greece gives the next film a distinctly Agatha Christie’s Poirot kind of feel. So I hope they get the same sort of thing where every actor under the sun is clamouring to be in it.