Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

When I was a young kid I found what I thought was a butterfly cocoon, and put it into this wire mesh sided bug cage I had. Stashed that sucker in the guest bedroom and forgot about it until weeks later when my mom found hundreds of teeny tiny bright green praying mantises all over every surface of the room. Luckily she was chill and we just caught as many as we could and took them out to the garden, but we were finding adult mantises in the house for months and months afterwards.

A+ do recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

priznat posted:

Ordered a mantis egg case from costco.ca so I'm pretty excited to let my swarm start feasting on whatever bugs are in my backyard

I really want to see somebody try to eat one of these

Inspector 34 posted:

This mantis thing is intriguing to me. What kind of stuff do they normally feed on? Like would our humming bird friends be at risk? Or do the mantises just hang out in the grass and gobble up things down there? We don't have a shitload of bugs around here but every year I do find one or two in our warehouse at work so I guess they do have a reason for existing in this area (Portland, Or).

hahaha omg I’m picturing a mantis capable of taking down a hummingbird

and now I’m picturing it for sale at Costco

(no they’re way too small to eat hummingbirds)

Inspector 34 posted:

40-400!?! I mean I think our yard could accommodate 40ish pretty well, but 400 would be overwhelming. I know that scarcity of food will take care of them somewhat but I don't want to inflict them involuntarily upon our neighbors. Maybe one of them will inflict them on us.

However, we have a few planters filled with bamboo and grass in a u-shape around most of the house and man I can just imagine how well they'd hide up in the bamboo. My friend's daughter comes to mow the grass about once a month in the Summer and this could be a great way to surprise her into learning about carnivorous insects.

Yeah, even without accounting for cannibalism, most of the nymphs are gonna die before they reach maturity, or soon after. A lot will become prey to other species, including birds and rodents and probably even a cat or two. Many will die just from being out in nature, they’ll die of heat stress or dehydration or wind exposure, or physical injury. They’ll smash into poo poo.

And a bunch more will just leave your yard and go elsewhere. The adults can fly, after all, and they’re native to North America.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
The US Amazon has the Praying Mantis Egg Cases too..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=praying+mantis+egg+cases&ref=nb_sb_noss

You can even get them with 1500 lady bugs included.

https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Mant...7198548&sr=8-10

Are the lady bugs food for the Mantises?

Trastion fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 31, 2021

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

I really want to see somebody try to eat one of these

hahaha omg I’m picturing a mantis capable of taking down a hummingbird

and now I’m picturing it for sale at Costco

(no they’re way too small to eat hummingbirds)

Yeah, even without accounting for cannibalism, most of the nymphs are gonna die before they reach maturity, or soon after. A lot will become prey to other species, including birds and rodents and probably even a cat or two. Many will die just from being out in nature, they’ll die of heat stress or dehydration or wind exposure, or physical injury. They’ll smash into poo poo.

And a bunch more will just leave your yard and go elsewhere. The adults can fly, after all, and they’re native to North America.

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a praying mantis that was chilling on a screen door take flight across the deck, not knowing they could fly, and getting snatched out of midair by an owl.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Trastion posted:

The US Amazon has the Praying Mantis Egg Cases too..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=praying+mantis+egg+cases&ref=nb_sb_noss

You can even get them with 1500 lady bugs included.

https://www.amazon.com/Praying-Mant...7198548&sr=8-10

Are the lady bugs food for the Mantises?

Mantises would probably eat a ladybug but ladybugs are also stone cold killers of any bugs smaller than them and extremely effective at dealing with large quantities of aphids. Bugs are pretty cool!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Midniter posted:

One of the coolest things I ever saw was a praying mantis that was chilling on a screen door take flight across the deck, not knowing they could fly, and getting snatched out of midair by an owl.

I loving love owls!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hoping for a costco 3 owl family pack

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I did the ladybug thing for an aphid infestation on my roses and those dudes cleared it right up

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had an idea for my high school graduation to get 5000 ladybugs from Costco, label them 1-4999, and release all of them around the school. When they finally wrangled them all they'd freak out when they realized they couldn't find the last one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Hoping for a costco 3 owl family pack

BRB, gonna write a kids’ book

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

buy the dip retards

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol that ham was on sale for $60 last time I was there, I just couldn't bring myself to buy it. My wife won't eat pork so it would be a solo adventure and I don't need a years supply of Jamón.

Edit: $59.97 technically.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 31, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Every single time I see someone post that thing on sale in this thread it's still full price at my costco :argh:

give me the ham!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ll give you the ham

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got these from Costco on my last trip and they are fuckin' delicious. Ajinomoto Vegetable Yakisoba.

https://sameday.costco.com/store/items/item_80011233

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bagmonkey posted:

I got these from Costco on my last trip and they are fuckin' delicious. Ajinomoto Vegetable Yakisoba.

https://sameday.costco.com/store/items/item_80011233

I get those, too. I like to add kimchi and a slice or two of some grilled spam.

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

Every single time I see someone post that thing on sale in this thread it's still full price at my costco :argh:

give me the ham!

Same at my store, I stopped by this afternoon and it was still 99.99.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

El Jebus posted:

I get those, too. I like to add kimchi and a slice or two of some grilled spam.

That sounds pretty drat awesome, I may try that. Any other suggestions from the frozen section? I think I'm gonna be finally getting a chest freezer because I'm realizing the frozen goods at the 'Co are kinda dope

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
I WANT ALL THE HAM

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Come to my Costco where the hams are $59.97 and not moving at all. There was a small mountain of them today.

They also always give me 5 little mustard cups with my two hot dogs when I ask. Last time the lady had them ready to go because she saw me coming.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

"aw geeze here comes that weird mustard guy again. Better get the mustard ready before he tries and ask me about the onion machine. What a creep. I wish my shift was over so I could smoke a bowl"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I actually don't trust the onion dispenser. I saw a guy clean off the part where the onions come out with his gross filthy fingers. I mean he was really rooting around in there. It damaged me.

I'm fine with being the weird mustard guy though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
In what sounds like an otherwise perfect Costco they went and hosed up the single most important thing? Shameful.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

fizzymercury posted:

I actually don't trust the onion dispenser. I saw a guy clean off the part where the onions come out with his gross filthy fingers. I mean he was really rooting around in there. It damaged me.
:piss:

I am experiencing second hand trauma

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fingering the ol' onion hole.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

bagmonkey posted:

That sounds pretty drat awesome, I may try that. Any other suggestions from the frozen section? I think I'm gonna be finally getting a chest freezer because I'm realizing the frozen goods at the 'Co are kinda dope

All the Ajinomoto stuff is great. The chicken fried rice and shoyu ramen in the frozen section are some of my favorites.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Made carnitas for dinner. The two pack in the refrigerated aisle is really good imo

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Bloodplay it again posted:

All the Ajinomoto stuff is great. The chicken fried rice and shoyu ramen in the frozen section are some of my favorites.

Every time I buy the chicken fried rice, it gets recalled.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Lazyhound posted:

Every time I buy the chicken fried rice, it gets recalled.

Unless someone ganked them from the shelves, I probably bought and ate plastic then. I only see the one recall from when I would've been eating it. That's what I get for trusting Mississippi.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Inspector 34 posted:

This mantis thing is intriguing to me. What kind of stuff do they normally feed on? Like would our humming bird friends be at risk? Or do the mantises just hang out in the grass and gobble up things down there? We don't have a shitload of bugs around here but every year I do find one or two in our warehouse at work so I guess they do have a reason for existing in this area (Portland, Or).

They'll kill a little bit of everything, so buying them for no reason is probably a bad idea. They will try to kill hummingbirds and mostly not succeed, but they'll get native pollinators like moths, butterflies, and bees.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Fartington Butts posted:

Fingering the ol' onion hole.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

No Pants posted:

They'll kill a little bit of everything, so buying them for no reason is probably a bad idea. They will try to kill hummingbirds and mostly not succeed, but they'll get native pollinators like moths, butterflies, and bees.

I mean, can anyone give me a good reason why you'd need to bring a new species into your garden to get rid of another species? It just becomes that episodes of the Simpsons where eventually you'll end up with garden apes to control the garden snakes to control the garden rodents to control the garden mantises that get rid of your Japanese fake-lady bugs

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Releasing praying mantises which are native to the area seems a better form of pest control than dousing my garden in chemicals, but you do you.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

I'm fine with being the weird mustard guy though.

it would take much much much worse to keep me away from that onion dispenser

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Enos Cabell posted:

Releasing praying mantises which are native to the area seems a better form of pest control than dousing my garden in chemicals, but you do you.

Exactly this. It is natural pest control and most of them will die or move on to other territory.

I had an adult mantis that hung out by my deck a lot during the summer last year. One day he hitched a ride on my pantleg into the car. I noticed him when I was almost to work. He got released (removed from my car) there. I saw him for a few days then he was gone. I hope to go eat bugs around the area.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Enos Cabell posted:

Problem is, they're probably not the species of mantis that's actually native to your area. In CA at least, the mail order mantises have naturalized themselves alongside native species.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I see mantises all summer long on my property in nw ohio, and the egg cases cover the rose bushes in the winter. Good for mantii, here.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I got mantises last year to combat my june bug infestation and instead of killing the june bugs I just added mantises to the loving formation of assault bugs. You ever had a mantis slam into your glasses while holding a june bug in it's mandibles? Because that's my every day.

It was worth it because my victory garden is pest free. Just learn how to duck and dive.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can’t wait to meet my new mantis friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bagmonkey posted:

I mean, can anyone give me a good reason why you'd need to bring a new species into your garden to get rid of another species? It just becomes that episodes of the Simpsons where eventually you'll end up with garden apes to control the garden snakes to control the garden rodents to control the garden mantises that get rid of your Japanese fake-lady bugs

I am a god.