Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Those Psychovultures (or warhawks?) were cool as hell. Nifty design and seeing them pluck people away made me think of explorers on skull island in classic kong movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Unless there are new contracts drawn up, this is it for the monsterverse. Who knows. I'd be ok if this was it and G films go back to Toho. Maybe more Kong movies will come of this I guess.

Violator
May 15, 2003

A lot of things in this movie (these specific hover vehicles, kidnapping Kong and taking him to one of the frozen poles to find an energy source, robo-villain, etc) are directly inspired by Toho’s Kong Kong Escapes. It was their first movie with a mech kaiju was like a practice run for MechaG. Recommend checking it out. I need to rewatch it and probably find more homages.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I mentioned it during the stream chat, but the escalation from Godzilla 2014 to Godzilla vs Kong really feels like the progression throughout the Fast and Furious movies, lmao.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

WEH posted:

Dumbing down the equation 2014 used to this level is not going to result in better monsterverse films. You'll see!

I would say that it just did. GvK is a much better film than G14.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

I mentioned it during in the stream chat, but the escalation from Godzilla 2014 to Godzilla vs Kong really feels like the progression throughout the Fast and Furious movies, lmao.

Yeah, now I want them to re-up the contract not because this wouldn't be a fine ending but because I want to see how much weirder they can go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sio posted:

I would say that it just did. GvK is a much better film than G14.

Yeah I actually want to watch this again cause I wasn't bored out of my mind for 2/3 of it, unlike '14.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

WEH posted:

I don't necessarily disagree that he as a director has taken that stance, however, I do think that if that was indeed his intent it was hamfisted to the detriment of his point

Disagree. Jai is capitalistic colonial commentary staring you in the face. They explicitly say they didn't know she could communicate with Kong. This means she wasn't brought along for that purpose and is instead just an adopted psuedo brown child for a white woman to dote over.

I feel the entire movie is about how lovely capitalism can be to the point that it corrupts the very center of the world by the end. All in the name of protecting it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I understand the urge to want to dismiss criticism of genre films as coming from outsiders who just don't get it, but I don't dislike this turd because it's a Godzilla movie, I dislike it because I think it's a bad Godzilla movie.

I didn't mean your opinion was invalid or whatever, just that people have been complaining about the ape changing sizes for a long time.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Unless there are new contracts drawn up, this is it for the monsterverse. Who knows. I'd be ok if this was it and G films go back to Toho. Maybe more Kong movies will come of this I guess.

Oh, well I guess that explains why they crammed in 2+ movies worth of plot/kaiju. Was wondering about that+no post credit scene. Good riddance

bushisms.txt posted:

Disagree. Jai is capitalistic colonial commentary staring you in the face. They explicitly say they didn't know she could communicate with Kong. This means she wasn't brought along for that purpose and is instead just an adopted psuedo brown child for a white woman to dote over.

I feel the entire movie is about how lovely capitalism can be to the point that it corrupts the very center of the world by the end. All in the name of protecting it.

Sure, still hamfisted

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mantis42 posted:

I didn't mean your opinion was invalid or whatever, just that people have been complaining about the ape changing sizes for a long time.

Sorry, I tend to assume a combative approach to discussing film opinions that is not always warranted.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really loved how they teased Mechagodzilla such that it ended up still being a twist to me. My skimming over news and stuff led me to believe 100% that the Godzilla we were seeing in the first half was actually Mechagodzilla, with the real one maybe being trapped somewhere. So it ended up putting me in a great spot of like "Okay it's fine that Godzilla is loving all this poo poo up, I'm sure he's fake......wait...... ok but drat..."

I actually loved the callback to G'14 with Godzilla just absolutely wrecking the bridge in Hong Kong as opposed to making an effort to protect the Golden Gate Bridge in G'14... it conveyed to me that in the first movie he was really just doing business as usual. His job is to protect the world from assholes, but he still likes to avoid slaughtering people when it's easy... but Mechagodzilla disgusts (and maybe scares) him so much that he just goes ham immediately and does not have time to worry about casualties.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

WEH posted:

Sure, still hamfisted
Hamfisted would be how they get out of hollow earth the first time, them specifically not exposition bombing their relationship to Jai is the opposite.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'll start with the things I didn't like. It does take a while to get going and you've got two major plot threads which don't really connect for a long time, and you can really tell it was subject to reshoots- there's a lot of connective tissue missing, like a lot of plot developments are just sorta blurted out and you just have to accept it. And I do think that overall, both this and KOTM overreacted to people hating on G2014's "bland" lead by making everyone ultra-quirky to a fault.

That said.

They go to the loving HOLLOW EARTH and Kong runs around in inverted gravity and finds a goddamn throne room and a sacred axe of Godzilla fire +3 and also, yes, there's Mechagodzilla, and he runs off King Ghidorah's brain, and Kong and Godzilla team up to fight him and Godzilla gets the idea to breathe fire on Kong's magic axe and that helps them win and...

I'm not sure a movie in which these things happen can really be criticized. Like, it does look good, the use of color is neat, some nifty camera angles going ultra-close on the kaiju and whipping around in weird ways, the fights are nice and visceral, and despite my above misgivings the human characters generally work a little better than in the last film. At a certain point it just sorta gets across that the Monsterverse no longer resembles anything like normal society.

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I have a question, so humans can't make it to the hollow earth because of the gravity inversion issue, who then built the kong cathedral, throne and the stairs that look very human sized? The kong family?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Hamfisted would be how they get out of hollow earth the first time, them specifically not exposition bombing their relationship to Jai is the opposite.

Hamfisted is

bushisms.txt posted:

All that being said, most people obviously like the movie here and that's fine so I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread and come back when shin ultraman gets an english language release

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
spoilers for the first minute or so of Godzilla vs. Kong

https://streamable.com/g66xwd

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Unless there are new contracts drawn up, this is it for the monsterverse

yeah, this is it

for Phase 1 :smug:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SuddenCactus posted:

I have a question, so humans can't make it to the hollow earth because of the gravity inversion issue, who then built the kong cathedral, throne and the stairs that look very human sized? The kong family?
I would say absolutely yes. Kong is just straight up sapient, intelligent, capable of language, whatever, but he just happens to be an orphan and last of his kind etc. so never got taught the Kong ways. I like how this also partly justifies Godzilla kicking his rear end 1v1. Kong is amazing, but he's making it up as he goes; Godzilla is afaik the same mythical dragon-beast from thousands of years ago.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

yeah, this is it

for Phase 1 :smug:

End of credits....

punch Punch PUNCH

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla, for a reminder, is literally millions of years old.

That ancient ancestral war the Kong lady was talking about? He was there. He was there when the meteors fell. He has been there through all of human civilization.

Kong is maybe over a century old, and he's still a baby to Godzilla.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

I would say absolutely yes. Kong is just straight up sapient, intelligent, capable of language, whatever, but he just happens to be an orphan and last of his kind etc. so never got taught the Kong ways. I like how this also partly justifies Godzilla kicking his rear end 1v1. Kong is amazing, but he's making it up as he goes; Godzilla is afaik the same mythical dragon-beast from thousands of years ago.

Yeah my takeaway from all that was Civilization of Kongs, which is quite possibly the best idea anyone has ever had.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It does say something when the most likeable human character is literally incapable of speaking, lol

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why did Mechagodzilla go apeshit

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

To get to the other side? of the hollow earth

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

Because they're using King Ghidorah's brain.

Well, Kevin's.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

Anime

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alec Eiffel posted:

Because.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Alec Eiffel posted:

that's what happens when you build an artificial god from the corpse of space satan

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
One thing that was pleasantly surprising was that the kid talking to Kong worked way better than it had any right to work

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The MechaGodzilla stuff felt at once like a nod to Eva and also a better take on the twist from the awful second Pacific Rim movie. Dumb bad guy hooks his brain into "dead" monster from previous movie, bad things happen. Only this felt better put together, and MechaGodzilla is dope as gently caress

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

One thing that was pleasantly surprising was that the kid talking to Kong worked way better than it had any right to work
To me what really made her character work was that she wasn't completely naive. She wasn't lied to, so she understood her role as the Kong liaison. This let her be honest with him in way that was actually really refreshing. The scene where they struggle to decide what to tell him to get him to go in the Antarctica tunnel was awesome, because they just end up telling him the truth: We want you to go there, and there is some chance there will be some family poo poo there for you. We dunno really. I loved that.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Really love Wingard’s direction here. The Hong Kong scene is seriously one of the coolest things I’ve seen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I'm glad they managed to keep the entire Hollow Earth angle a secret, on the other, I feel they missed an opportunity for the tagline:

You Will Believe An Ape Can Fly

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

I'll take two adult and two kids tickets for "Alien Erection" please
My favorite thing they made homage too was the Eva fight scene on the aircraft carriers. That was some silly poo poo.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

On the one hand I'm glad they managed to keep the entire Hollow Earth angle a secret, on the other, I feel they missed an opportunity for the tagline:

You Will Believe An Ape Can Fly

Lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Why’d it require a trippy 2001 portal that inverted gravity and a specialized vehicle for the first trip if they were able to just fly straight up Godzilla’s yell-hole the second time?

Everything in this movie operates solely on the “because it looks cool” principle and it’s maddening. I don’t mean to poo poo on an otherwise entertaining film this much, but I’d have vastly preferred for them to just go the old Showa “aliens did it” route for introducing new crazy elements than this dumb loving hollow earth bullshit. And that includes the equally dumb not-Atlantis from KOTM.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I dunno man Godzilla movies have always been dumb as hell and fun, why should it be any different now?

Meanwhile, Godzilla Singular Point continues to be a new and interesting take on a Godzilla storyline with episode 2. Ep. 1 is fansubbed and out there in the usual places. I'm really enjoying it for being different.

Also, Jet Jaguar fukkin' owns.

Guttlesswonder
Mar 17, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why’d it require a trippy 2001 portal that inverted gravity and a specialized vehicle for the first trip if they were able to just fly straight up Godzilla’s yell-hole the second time?

Everything in this movie operates solely on the “because it looks cool” principle and it’s maddening. I don’t mean to poo poo on an otherwise entertaining film this much, but I’d have vastly preferred for them to just go the old Showa “aliens did it” route for introducing new crazy elements than this dumb loving hollow earth bullshit. And that includes the equally dumb not-Atlantis from KOTM.

Haha...the loving yell-hole is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

As for where future films might go, Roswell was mentioned multiple times and things are definitely weird enough now to escalate to Space Godzilla or the Xiliens.

If they wanted to bring Charles Dance back, his character Jonah was collecting dna from every titan, which he should definitely use to create a better civilization killing abomination. He was also the one that first introduced Emma to the idea of culling humanity, who are now a bigger threat to the natural order via kaiju slaying robots. The plot could rationalize him laying low during GvK to perfect the ultimate monster: Bagan. I think it'd be cool as hell if it was Legendary who finally brought him to the big screen. This time Bagan could have Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Kong genetics in the mix.