Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season two of Solar Opposites was better than the last season of R&M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

rick and morty babies

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slightly Absurd posted:

rick and morty babies

The Aqua Teen episode where they changed more of the dialogue worked much better

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The catchphrase montage was cute, if only for “Kiss, kiss KISS MY BUTT! :haw:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Will this be a full, uninterrupted season or are they going to pull this half-season crap again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The half second Arrested Development gag in Solar Opposites S2 was right out of left field, and made me cackle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The_Doctor posted:

The half second Arrested Development gag in Solar Opposites S2 was right out of left field, and made me cackle.

What was it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

What was it?

It’s in ep 5 and literally just a narrator contradicting what was just said and then an AD-esque ukulele sting. It’s just completely out of left field and never happens again.

Oh hey, someone put it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNUM-8WS-E

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 6, 2021

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I love the holiday ray gag. I love the premise, I love that it's a blackpowder cannon complete with a scifi linstock, and I love that the scene ends with Korvo using it to light a cigar and taunt his neighbor.

poo poo's funny.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Finished season 2 earlier today. Really good. I wonder what they’re going to do about Middleditch.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Season two of Solar Opposites was better than the last season of R&M

Inclined to agree with this. They could just drop Middleditch, he's the weakest of the 4 main characters anyway.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It was surprisingly good, especially after the first season was entirely forgettable other than the wall.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could make a whole series about the wall. The main stuff is funny and all, but the wall stuff is really interesting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They could make a whole series about the wall. The main stuff is funny and all, but the wall stuff is really interesting.

I still have my pet theory that the wall was the original focus of the show in the planning stages, and as the story built up around how the humans were in there, the aliens stuck on earth side of it grew more, rapidly overtaking the wall part.

Don't touch my penis.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

I loved the Wall and I tell myself this, but its probably only so good because its only 60-90 minutes of the season. Its tight and polished. Any more and it'd be bad.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The_Doctor posted:

I still have my pet theory that the wall was the original focus of the show in the planning stages, and as the story built up around how the humans were in there, the aliens stuck on earth side of it grew more, rapidly overtaking the wall part.

Don't touch my penis.

Roiland says in an interview that the genesis of the wall idea was that he was playing the mobile Fallout game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh that explains why the ant farm crosssection of the Wall looks exactly like that games layout

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cloks posted:

Roiland says in an interview that the genesis of the wall idea was that he was playing the mobile Fallout game.

God, you loving hack.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Roiland's approach to writing seems to be "get drunk and get in front of a mic" so I dunno, I tend to think hacks at least put some effort into it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
He would only be a hack if the end result wasn’t funny or interesting. Like the people currently writing for the Simpsons, for example, are hacks.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Y'all are going to be pissed if you start reading about the origin of lots and lots of things on TV, then. A writer's room is usually just a bunch of internet nerds pitching random poo poo they thought about when they were high or that they saw on the internet at each other. Futurama is the exception. They were a bunch of math nerds.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

God, you loving hack.

Is this post sincere?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It might have a dumb origin, but it did become a good part of the show, so it's no that bad.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Every post is sincere unless it is accompanied by a SarcMark

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The origin of Rick & Morty is just Roiland going “what if the Doc from back to the future molests the kid?” and here we are 7-8 years later.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You guys are in here getting mad at inspiritation? Wild.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You guys are in here getting mad at inspiritation? Wild.

One person might have been? Not exactly a consensus there

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And I'm not actually mad at him. I'm a writer and will happily acknowledge inspiration comes from anywhere. It's actually funny that the moment I learnt that it was based on Fallout Shelter, I could instantly see it, and all my plot theorising was miles off the mark.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bust Rodd posted:

The origin of Rick & Morty is just Roiland going “what if the Doc from back to the future molests the kid?” and here we are 7-8 years later.

That's not fair, it's an artistic experiment in getting sued.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ikanreed posted:

That's not fair, it's an artistic experiment in getting sued.

Yeah. It’s art made out of spite which is the funniest art imo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Y'all are going to be pissed if you start reading about the origin of lots and lots of things on TV, then. A writer's room is usually just a bunch of internet nerds pitching random poo poo they thought about when they were high or that they saw on the internet at each other. Futurama is the exception. They were a bunch of math nerds.

That's what editing, storyboarding, and the general idea of sorting pitches and gags into a coherent narrative are for. It's pretty rare for a story to emerge fully-formed right away.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh yeah, the good parts of the wall stuff wasn’t because Roiland had a lightbulb moment and stayed up all night writing a screen playz Not to draw a parallel between Justin Roiland and Galileo because lol, but the apocryphal apple story is stupid as poo poo compared to the resultant theory and proofing of gravity. It’s more impressive taking the dumb innocuous thing and weaving an arguably very impressive thing out of that spark.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, 'I got a weird dumb idea, let's figure out a story to support it' is probably as old as storytelling.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jokes posted:

Oh yeah, the good parts of the wall stuff wasn’t because Roiland had a lightbulb moment and stayed up all night writing a screen playz Not to draw a parallel between Justin Roiland and Galileo because lol, but the apocryphal apple story is stupid as poo poo compared to the resultant theory and proofing of gravity. It’s more impressive taking the dumb innocuous thing and weaving an arguably very impressive thing out of that spark.

Newton, not Galileo*. Your general point stands, stories of sudden "ah ha!" moments (or Eureka moments if you will) where an entire idea arrives fully formed, complete and correct are a) almost always bullshit, and b) actively harmful as they encourage a mindset of "this is a thing you understand and can do, or it is not.". This hides the fact that countless hours of work and getting stuff wrong go into eventually getting it right in the end, which means that people try once, dont immediately understand it, and throw up their hands and say "I just cant do this!", whether that thing is writing, or art, or physics or whatever.

*The Galileo gravity story I know is him dropping a wooden cannonball and a lead cannonball the same size off the leaning tower of pisa to show they hit the ground at the same time. This is probably also complete horseshit, but at least shows the idea of testing a hypothesis by actually doing something instead of just proclaiming from nowhere that something is now understood.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

jokes posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but lightbulbs were not a thing in Galileo's day. Maybe an oil lamp, though there may have been drippage.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, 'I got a weird dumb idea, let's figure out a story to support it' is probably as old as storytelling.

My favorite version of this is the guy who wrote Tremors. He was sitting on a big rock one day and thought "what if something was keeping me from getting off of here?"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress of course it was Newton, that’s the unit for measuring force. God I’m stupid

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My favorite version of this is the guy who wrote Tremors. He was sitting on a big rock one day and thought "what if something was keeping me from getting off of here?"

Frank Herbert was inspired to write Dune because he was looking at sand dunes on shrooms.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Auteur Theory is dumb. Unfiltered Roiland gets you Channel 101.

The reason Rick & Morty is good is the writer's room...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Listening to commentary tracks, it seems the best ideas come from trying to get around the censors.