Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You have ascended. The golden skates are yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://youtu.be/xJIS3KjinPc

This is the last day I’m technically scheduled to come in at all. Maybe, maybe I’ll have to throw on my type 3s to go into milpers but I doubt it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A hospital I spent a lot of time at had a senior radiologist who was a West Point alumnus, a crusty silver haired O-6. On the day he retired he took off his uniform in the radiology reading room and was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts underneath. He walked out into the sunset, never to be seen again. That's the way to do it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I spent about 90 minutes in our smoke pit with a cigar of questionable legality.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Godholio posted:

I spent about 90 minutes in our smoke pit with a cigar of questionable legality.

Someone was supposed to send me some but they fell through (boo), I’m going to pick some up when I drive through DC in a few days though

Susa
Apr 27, 2013

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I did make one IG complaint about the HM a school years ago making the students, who don’t get BAS, buy their breakfast and lunch while out in clinical and not providing compensation in cash or boxed lunches and yup they’re still doing it so I imagine the the IG is about as functional as the rest of the Navy when it comes to matters that impact junior enlisted sailors.

I got MRE's when I went through eight years ago, Might have worked?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Susa posted:

I got MRE's when I went through eight years ago, Might have worked?

Nah I went through right after you, when they stopped doing that. Me and a bunch of fleet returnees pointed out we should have gotten boxed nasties or MREs and they said since past classes didn’t eat them they stopped doing it. I said well cool well I still want the food I’m paying for and we all got blown off, saying some chief would handle it, lol.

But all of those doesn’t matter now, I have purchased the devils lettuce and have begun my first day as a civilian by throwing my camping gear in my trunk and hitting the road for a couple weeks. Trying get far west enough for skiing before I have to drive back since I haven’t been able to do that and I used to go every winter when I was in California.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1377029089006120963?s=19

:chiefsay: And the beatings will continue until morale improves

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Zwabu posted:

A hospital I spent a lot of time at had a senior radiologist who was a West Point alumnus, a crusty silver haired O-6. On the day he retired he took off his uniform in the radiology reading room and was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts underneath. He walked out into the sunset, never to be seen again. That's the way to do it.

I had a retiring O-6 CO (old Prowler pilot) at NAF El Centro around 2006. He did the ceremony in summer whites, and when he was piped off, he walked down the red carpet saluting. At the end, his secretary used scissors to cut his pants into shorts, he tossed his cover, untucked his shirt, and someone handed him a full mug of beer. Then they rolled up a pony keg for everyone at the ceremony.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

God drat brown shoes having fun :chiefsay:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Navy likes to get as close to The Point as possible, then avoid it by the thinnest margin.

Did three (3) field days on a whole 6 month deployment (1 before ERR, two before ORSE) got an EXCELLENT in C/S/P on ORSE.

Did we switch to only doing the focused cleanups that were massively popular with the crew, and resulted in a demonstrably cleaner ship after deployment?

gently caress no, climb in that bilge and sleep for three hours blueshirt.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

But all of those doesn’t matter now, I have purchased the devils lettuce and have begun my first day as a civilian by throwing my camping gear in my trunk and hitting the road for a couple weeks. Trying get far west enough for skiing before I have to drive back since I haven’t been able to do that and I used to go every winter when I was in California.

:toot: :2bong:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Hell yeah man! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Weed: Kinda overrated, but not bad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pro Publica goes hard on years of undermanning and underspending in the 7th Fleet.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

The Navy likes to get as close to The Point as possible, then avoid it by the thinnest margin.

Did three (3) field days on a whole 6 month deployment (1 before ERR, two before ORSE) got an EXCELLENT in C/S/P on ORSE.

Did we switch to only doing the focused cleanups that were massively popular with the crew, and resulted in a demonstrably cleaner ship after deployment?

gently caress no, climb in that bilge and sleep for three hours blueshirt.

:toot: :2bong:

If your crew didn't enjoy Junior vs Senior enlisted hide-and-seek then I'm not sure there is a moral building exercise you would have enjoyed

Weed edit: just listening to music while high and maybe a beer or two remains one of my favorite ways to waste away an afternoon

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is the Naval Institute, which is a think tank whose entire existence involves writing articles about how the Navy could do X better which are promptly ignored by the people in charge 99% of the time.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Welp, managed to once again successfully spend another 2 years not getting a DUI, committing frat or failing a UA, so now I get to be a full LT. :toot:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Welp, managed to once again successfully spend another 2 years not getting a DUI, committing frat or failing a UA, so now I get to be a full LT. :toot:

Congratudolences.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Disgusting

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Congrats! Welcome to the magical rank where nobody can tell from a distance whether you just got there or you're scheduled for spine removal surgery next week.

piL fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 2, 2021

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:HBD:chiefsay::chiefsay::chiefsay:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pro Publica goes hard on years of undermanning and underspending in the 7th Fleet.

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

This article is from feb. 2019, by the way.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Congrats on being able to afford nicer booze.

Condolences that people may actually expect you to know things now.

Apropos of that and :chiefsay: I just rediscovered this gem in my photos, taken at the San Diego Air and Space Museum:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

This article is from feb. 2019, by the way.

Always relevant.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

piL posted:

Congrats! Welcome to the magical rank where nobody can tell from a distance whether you just got there or you're scheduled for spine removal surgery next week.

Warfare qualified LTJG is the best rank to be hands down.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Warfare qualified LTJG PO2 is the best rank to be hands down.

Ftfy

My best part of Navy service was being an SW qualifed IS2

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
being a fully qualified sts2(ss) was full on skate mode

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PN2(SW) that knows all the fuckin things agrees. PO2 actually makes the Navy go, and it is obvious.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I almost feel bad for not getting SW. Almost. Not my fault the program collapsed when covid hosed over Manning and we didn’t have anyone to sign off on stuff or even board people.

Oh well.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

being a fully qualified sts2(ss) was full on skate mode

I wish I could say being ETN2(SS) was the best but my boat didn't believe in leaving anyone behind. So you were hot racking until you made 1st. In fact, it was only when the rack bill coordinator told the chiefs that 1st classes would have to hot rack that they would considering leaving anyone on shore.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Y’all submariners are a special breed. I work on one now for overhaul and I couldn’t imagine being stationed on that thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
E-5s are the O-2s of the enlisted fleet.

Except on submarines where everyone is 1 1/2 ranks higher than their surface counterpart.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

MonkeyFit posted:

I wish I could say being ETN2(SS) was the best but my boat didn't believe in leaving anyone behind. So you were hot racking until you made 1st. In fact, it was only when the rack bill coordinator told the chiefs that 1st classes would have to hot rack that they would considering leaving anyone on shore.

what in the holy loving christ?! i was able to not have to hotrack pretty much soon as i was a qualified e-3.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Depends if you're on a boomer or a fast attack. Most boomers have enough rack for the crew, and the crew size is consistent patrol to patrol. Now a days with cramming in full crew plus dedicated support teams Even as an E6 I almost had to hot rack once.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 18, 2022

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Depends if you're on a boomer or a fast attack. Most boomers have enough rack for the crew, and the crew size is consistent patrol to patrol. Now a days with cramming in full crew plus dedicated support teams Even as an E6 I almost had to hot rack once.

did they give the virgina boats even less rack space than the la boats? that is nutso

edit : make the boat 5 feet longer and you could add 30-60 racks. but hey gently caress the crew

ded fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 3, 2021

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Are we having a skate off??

DT was by far the most skate. So skate they had to banish it forever.

I still miss Friday afternoon nap time followed by dinner and margaritas with the work crew.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

ded posted:

what in the holy loving christ?! i was able to not have to hotrack pretty much soon as i was a qualified e-3.

My time on my boat was like reading Turn the Ship Around in reverse. That boat went to poo poo and before my last deployment, the EDMC and COB had to pull all of us topside and tell us to knock it off with the "jokes" about going 3 section with the Thresher and Scorpion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MonkeyFit posted:

Wat.

We didn't leave people on shore until Chiefs were looking at hot-racking.

I did get the fabled Good Deal once, junior 1st, my (eventual) relief as LPO (unqualified SPU 1st) had a complete mental breakdown because of the effect 5 days off the boat would have on his qualms. Woke up to my Chief shoving a leave chit in my rack, spent 5 days on shore.

Every 1st on board was hotracking though.

In fact, it was pretty rare for 2nds not to be hotracking and at least a couple junior/useless 1sts. That being said, I only had to like 3 times after taking over LPO and qualifying EWS. Nothing like watching an STS1 with twice your time in rate shove his poo poo into his pillowcase while you relax in your private rack.

E:

M_Gargantua posted:

the first time I rode a boomer on shore duty, and they were like "here's a 9 man bunk room for you and (my chief)" I was a little jealous NGL.

We made a fort out of laundry bags and binged GoT for 3 days.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 4, 2021