Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a new month, so here's a new thread. Looks like things might be kicking off yet again in Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzLtF_PxbYw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

quoted from previous thread

orange juche posted:

He may be eyeing things west of the Dnieper.
This is Logishin, Belarus, 28 miles from the northern border of Ukraine, well west of the Dnieper.

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1377414549901484035?s=20

I spent a couple minutes in paint circling the locations where Russian troop movements have been noted in the last couple of days.

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.

ManMythLegend posted:

DoD just dumped the Trump Administration changes to its transgender policy.

Official policy is rolled back to what it was in 2016 when the ban was repealed.

Started off as a reply in March but didn't want it to get lost -

I really wish they had improved it. There is so much of trans healthcare that the Tricare/mil doesn't cover and you're either forced to do without or pay out of pocket. Specific surgeries, voice therapy, hair removal - those are things I know because my wife has had to pay out of pocket for those, and will for the next several years. And why? Because its "cosmetic". It both is and isn't - because "passing" is such a toxic concept but for some folks, they need to for their safety.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Putin wouldn't dare invade Ukraine when drumpf was in charge

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Putin wouldn't dare invade Ukraine when drumpf was in charge

Nah, there's a water crisis in Crimea, when Russia invaded Crimea in 2014, Ukraine cut off their main water supply, as you do when a country invades and annexes a major portion of your country. Crimea's out of water, and Russia isn't happy. This would have probably happened under drumpf too, except he would have been fellating Putin on how strong and authoritative he is.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ah poo poo man I forgot it was wwiii but VVG thank you for linking the new thread.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
It's either all-out war or preparations for the regular bilateral exercises between Russia and Belarus scheduled to take place later this year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I’m going to quote this on the first page because it’s easy to miss.

McNally posted:

Those of you who pay attention may have noticed that I've expressed some level of frustration with the toxicity running amok in the Current Events thread. To that end I've put together a brute squad to help me clear out the Thieves' Forest keep the CE thread a place where we can talk about current events without coming away with heavy internet toxicity.

I'd like to thank Sarah, Hekk, and FrozenVent for volunteering to help me make their lives demonstrably worse.

A special guest star will be joining them later when their schedule clears up.

Thanks to the new GIP IKs for agreeing to help make subforum 218 the okayest place on the internet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Softface posted:

It's either all-out war or preparations for the regular bilateral exercises between Russia and Belarus scheduled to take place later this year.

yeah it's both out of schedule, out of place, and why the gently caress do you need a shitload of bridging equipment on the eastern border of Ukraine unless you're planning on using it?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

quoted from previous thread

I spent a couple minutes in paint circling the locations where Russian troop movements have been noted in the last couple of days.

those look like pretty significant locations?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

those look like pretty significant locations?

The big one is the northwest spot, because that means that potentially if those troops aren't in Belarus for wargames, and are there for actual war, then the whole strategy's different and it's not just a play for the eastern half of Ukraine, but a play for the whole smack. I'm spitballing but if it's right that's real bad.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

orange juche posted:

The big one is the northwest spot, because that means that potentially if those troops aren't in Belarus for wargames, and are there for actual war, then the whole strategy's different and it's not just a play for the eastern half of Ukraine, but a play for the whole smack. I'm spitballing but if it's right that's real bad.

Need to distract from unrest at home with foreign adventurism.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lightpole posted:

The parallels are uncanny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

orange juche posted:

As you know, the premier loves surprises.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean really they've got enough bridging equipment staged on the border in the east that the troops in Belarus don't even matter and may just be there for wargames, or a reserve force, but that's the fun of trying to figure out what's going on from fragmented info moving quickly. At a minimum letting Ukraine know you have troops in the northwest keeps them from throwing everything against an assault from the east.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

there's also option 3, where Putin stands down the troops and says "haha made you look", unlikely, but possible.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1377432142867664899?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Because it's there?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
West/Nato has already proven that we won't go to war over the current situation in Ukraine. It's also a bit too far logistically for anything much more than air strikes. Which won't happen.

Belarus I haven't followed in a while.

But if Putin starts new poo poo up in Ukraine then the Nordstream project defenders will have an even harder time so I guess if that anything happens that is already in the calculation.

This might also be another part of the "new normal".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

RFC2324 posted:

does infrastructure only mean roads in their world, because in my world it includes things like pipes and wires and structures

Yes. The Republicans explicitly said that building green power capability should not be in the bill only "roads and bridges."

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

lightpole posted:

Huh I've seen this movie before

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

InAndOutBrennan posted:

West/Nato has already proven that we won't go to war over the current situation in Ukraine. It's also a bit too far logistically for anything much more than air strikes. Which won't happen.

Belarus I haven't followed in a while.

But if Putin starts new poo poo up in Ukraine then the Nordstream project defenders will have an even harder time so I guess if that anything happens that is already in the calculation.

This might also be another part of the "new normal".

I'm remembering another country the West abandoned in eastern Europe, figuring "How bad can it get?"

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
How long till Trump gets invited to call in to Fox News to talk about how he could have bargained peace with Russia, negotiated a perfect, incredible deal for the Russians, but only if the election wasn't stolen because we'd get a great price be winning right now?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/status/1377278373316136962

The Newsmax journalist who claimed smoking weed once caused him to black out for four days and wake up in Nairobi is also a Biden Dogs truther.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The Newsmax journalist who claimed smoking weed once caused him to black out for four days and wake up in Nairobi is also a Biden Dogs truther.

Oh, he was being serious?

:lol:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Morbidly looking forward to a certain brand of self-labeled anti-imperialist on Twitter decrying as imperialism any Western protestations at a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Expect a lot of comparisons to Mexico and assertions of spheres of interest.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, he was being serious?

:lol:

I can't get a read on Greg Kelly. He's a loving idiot one way or another, but I can't figure out if he's a loving idiot like a fox (for money). Either way, it's a situation where Popehat's Rule of Goats applies:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/858722120620265473?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1377636684188299266?s=19

Aaaaaaand here's the part that made my teeth itch:

quote:

It was not surprising to some observers that the wagons didn’t circle around Gaetz in the explosive 24 hours after the scandal, even as the congressman produced documents that lent some weight to his extortion claims. “I don’t think a lot of people are going to go out of their way to defend him, especially with this outlandish-sounding defense,” one GOP staffer said. “I don’t think you’ll find a lot of people who are desperate to keep him involved in Republican politics.”

The cartoonishly scandalous perception of Gaetz is so commonplace that sometimes it’s visible, literally, in the halls of Congress. A Hill source sent The Daily Beast a photo of a trash bin outside Gaetz's office as lawmakers cleared out their offices at the end of a recent session. At the top of the heap was an empty Costco-size box of “Bareskin” Trojan condoms.

Usually Congress is loving people, not people loving in Congress.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What was the scandal where some creeplord politician/celebrity (?) pretty much exposed themselves by breaking the scandal on Twitter, and some investigative journalist crack-pinged because they had been developing the story on that person for years and then went "AND YOU'RE GONNA JUST ADMIT TO IT ON TWITTER?!?"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What was the scandal where some creeplord politician/celebrity (?) pretty much exposed themselves by breaking the scandal on Twitter, and some investigative journalist crack-pinged because they had been developing the story on that person for years and then went "AND YOU'RE GONNA JUST ADMIT TO IT ON TWITTER?!?"

It was Don Jr. A reporter had spent a year tracking down all of the info relating to the trump tower meeting with russians, and right before he dropped his story, Jr. went on twitter and spilled all the beans.

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/884798748152483840

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1377636684188299266?s=19

Aaaaaaand here's the part that made my teeth itch:

Usually Congress is loving people, not people loving in Congress.

One of the characters in Alpha House is a sex obsessed Florida GOP Congressman so this is life imitating art.

Everyone should watch Alpha House, John Goodman rules.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The Water Wars are starting a few decades earlier than I thought they would. Just lump them in as part of the GWOT (global war on thirst).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1377471225845460992?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Skip to 0:13.

Just trust me.

https://twitter.com/mtgreenee/status/1377614474862006279?s=19

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Is this about kipping pull ups or the fact that crossfit is a stupid cult?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You've never seen crossfitters do "kipping pullups" I take it? It's a whole thing.

My wife is a crossfit competitor / coach (was really). It's bananas.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
So, uh, what do kipping pull-ups do long term to your shoulders and spine?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Nothing nearly as bad as what push presses with that kind of form will do.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
What the gently caress did I just watch, other than some moron throwing weights and swinging herself around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch, other than some moron throwing weights and swinging herself around.

That's all it was.