Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time to update my gamelog for a new month:

Finished
Hades (saw credits December 2020, epilogue/wrapup January 20, 2021)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Jan 21)
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Jan 31) (current frontrunner for Old Game of the Year 2021)
Soulcalibur VI (finished Libra of Soul mode Feb 19)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Coteries of New York (Feb 20)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Shadows of New York (Feb 20)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Night Road (Feb 20) (I think I might like Vampire: The Masquerade?)
Yakuza: Like a Dragon (March 6)
Persona 5 Strikers (March 27)
Astro's Playroom (March 29)
Butterfly Soup (March 30)

In Progress
The Council (in the middle of Episode 1)
PC Building Simulator ("building the ultimate PC is my vision")
Loop Hero (on world 3, went from "meh" to getting into the groove to "meh" again)
Doom 64 (I am on like level 4 I think)
Werewolf: Heart of the Forest (this is the VN not the Eurojank action game)

Danger Zone...
Paper Mario: The Origami King (did like half a world since last month lol)
Sakura Wars (I did one mission, might take this off if I don't get back to it)
Wonderful 101 (bought it, played the tutorial)
Spelunky 2 (got to "Olmec" but hit a roadblock)
Red Dead Redemption 2 (played the first hour)

In the Queue
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Persona 5 Royal (starting my real-time playthrough on April 9)
Spiritfarer
Disco Elysium: Final Cut
OUTRIDERS
Mortal Kombat 11
Nier Replicant: square root of 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

Hmm, I think I'll aim for the third column from the left. That one seems friendly.

Everybody gets their own bingo sheet to work on. Check the link in Metis' post.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Rip warch

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

cheetah7071 posted:

Everybody gets their own bingo sheet to work on. Check the link in Metis' post.
Oh, thanks. I didn't notice that.

Hmm, alright, let's get a good start on this! One of my earliest gaming memories is playing Pong, but not just any Pong! No, I played the version of Pong that comes as a semi-secret hidden minigame in the options menu of Commander Keen 4! It somehow kept my attention for hours, which is kind of funny because I remember that part more vividly than anything about the actual Commander Keen game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L74TtrkJakI

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo they're doing a Diddy Kong Racing remake

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo they're doing a Diddy Kong Racing remake

Holy poo poo please don't be a joke

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1377509818014044163/photo/1

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ah it’s tell lies on the internet day. Always fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How many "cringe" gamer april fools are there going to be?

Kotaku getting blasted by one and retracting an article immediately has already set things off

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What did they do?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Little Nightmares 2 is v scary friends

:ohdear:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Effortposting, for bingo

I've been playing a lot of Shadowverse recently, and as I said in last month's thread, I basically only play one deck. Probably over 2k games and definitely hundreds of hours with that deck. Yes, this is insane, but I thought I'd try to effortpost a bit about what I like so much about it.

So, the mechanic is called "spellboost". Spellboost is an ability that applies to cards in your hand. While a card with spellboost is in your hand, if you play a spell (i.e., the kind of card that you play, has its effect, and goes away--sorcery for mtg players), the card with spellboost improves in some way. The way varies from card to card, so I'll post some examples. Unfortunately, since Shadowverse is a digital card game, they don't bother putting the text of the cards on the card icons themselves, so I'll just be posting art and copy/pasting the text.

Wind Blast

Deal 1 damage to an enemy follower.
Spellboost: Deal 1 more.

So, this card is a removal spell. It does damage to an enemy, and every time you play a spell while its in your hand, it does more and more damage, letting it be better and better at clearing enemies. At this point, you might already be able to guess the usual playstyle of spellboost decks: put lots of spells in your deck, ideally cheap ones that draw cards so you can keep the gravy train rolling. Then win the game using cards that reward you for spellboosting a lot. Here's an example of that kind of wincon:

Giant Chimera

Fanfare: Deal a pool of 3 damage divided between all enemies. First deal damage to enemy followers equal to their defense in the order they came into play. Then, if any damage is left in the pool afterward, deal it to the enemy leader.
Spellboost: Deal 1 more damage.

That's kind of a lot of text, but the upshot is that it's a card that spellboosts to deal more damage, but unlike wind blast, it can hit the enemy leader and actually win the game. The kind of games, where I do a whole lot of nothing--just playing minor, low-impact cards, which draw me new minor, low-impact cards, on and on until I suddenly win the game, are very appealing to me. And spellboost decks include some real low-impact cards to move through the mid game. This card is an all-time staple of the archetype:

Magic Missile

Deal 1 damage to an enemy.
Draw a card.

Still, if that was all spellboost did, I wouldn't have hundreds of hours in it. The real spicy stuff is cards like this, my all-time favorite card in the game:

Fate's Hand

Spellboost: Subtract 1 from the cost of this card.
----------
Draw 2 cards.

Now that's the good stuff. Every spell you play makes it cheaper. And this is far from unique. Fill your deck with cards like these and after a few turns spent getting starting, you're just blasting through your deck, reducing the cost of half the cards in your hand. Fate's hand is the absolute epitome of this. It draws cards, and is itself a spell to spellboost your other cards. Absolute perfection. And it isn't just spells that get in on reducing costs like that. You can put followers on the board too:

Zealot of Truth

----------
Storm.

Storm is the keyword meaning it can attack the turn you play it. The current deck I'm playing relies on cards like this one to present lethal boards very rapidly. Ironically, in the busted environment which is Shadowverse's non-rotating format, this passes for a midrange deck, because I'm not playing followers early on like aggro and I don't try to win in one turn like combo. This deck is basically a ship of theseus from a deck from the very early days of the game, which centered around this card (who is definitely a sassy witch, for bingo):

Daria, Dimensional Witch

----------
Fanfare: Banish all cards in your hand. Then draw 5 cards and Spellboost them 5 times.

The idea back then was to spellboost for the first four or so turns of the game, then drop a board, play Daria, and draw a new hand and threaten to flood the board again. Eventually the deck got good enough draw that throwing away your hand to draw five cards was never a good trade, and it got cut, but it has a very warm place in my heart. And I think I'll end with one more example. If this card doesn't make your eyes sparkle with the sheer possibilities, then I can conclude that spellboost is firmly not for you:

Dimension Shift

----------
Take an extra turn after this one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hate video games

April fools

Got em

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think chilli is the Dark Souls of food. No wait, here me out. It's got a super high difficulty level, chefs are now trying to put it in everything and if you fail you lose all your progress and have to start over. It totally fits

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Where do the bean poots come in?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

I've been thinking about this for a long time and I think chilli is the Dark Souls of food. No wait, here me out. It's got a super high difficulty level, chefs are now trying to put it in everything and if you fail you lose all your progress and have to start over. It totally fits

Two for the price of one folks, and that's how it's done :smug:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

The game and watch mario thing looks like a neat thing to have on a shelf but lol not for 80 bucks nintendo are you taking the piss

You can sucker me into paying that for 3 good mario games (even if SMG2 really shouldve been there you cheapskates) but not fickin mario bros.

Y-yeah you’d have to... be a real goddamn sucker to buy one of those.

*sweating and tugging collar nervously*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Cardiovorax! :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mode 7! :argh:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

chili is not hard to make imo

clearly making poorly thought out posts just to fill a bingo square. shameful

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

chili is not hard to make imo

I was talking about eating it not cooking it

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

The PS5's reactive triggers could allow for incredibly immersive farting controls

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Getting in on the ground floor of sassy witches

Finding this picture taught me that sexy Gruntilda from the game over sequence was VERY important to a lot of people

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So for the 'be quoted 5 times' square does it count if I quote myself? :thunkher:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
metis is gonna send you to bingo jail for bingo crimes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

So for the 'be quoted 5 times' square does it count if I quote myself? :thunkher:

No Rarity, stop being a dick

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

violate the sacred laws of bingo and you will be punished

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

New Super Metis posted:

violate the sacred laws of bingo and you will be punished

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
left to rot in the bingaol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Might try this bingo thing this time around

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is reminding me of how much it was the last time we played chat bingo. I wasn't even posting in the thread at the time but I heard about it and I had to drop in to take part. I managed to pull off a line in just a few posts which I was very proud of but I didn't realise we were meant to do the whole square. If I'd known I definitely would have come first but this time I am here and I'm in it to win it :unsmith:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rarity posted:

This is reminding me of how much it was the last time we played chat bingo. I wasn't even posting in the thread at the time but I heard about it and I had to drop in to take part. I managed to pull off a line in just a few posts which I was very proud of but I didn't realise we were meant to do the whole square. If I'd known I definitely would have come first but this time I am here and I'm in it to win it :unsmith:

oh? are you challenging me?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Rarity posted:

What you have to do the entire board??

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Last time it was one line for a bronze tag, whole board for the silver, first to do a whole board for gold

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

fridge corn posted:

What you have to do the entire board??

there are three gangtags available, the best of which (see mine) is for completing the whole board first. but you can just do a line! it's all about the community participation!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

New Super Metis posted:

It's april where I am, and that's what counts.

Gamers!!! It's time for BINGO!!

Click on this link: https://bingobaker.com/#41e510b342027170

It will generate a bingo card. Bookmark it! Keep track! Post the result at the end of the month, for a... oh poo poo I haven't thought of a prize. I guess it's the gangtags???

I am going to attempt this this month! The only ones that are currently stumping me are sassy witches, food posting and the X is the Dark Souls of XXX because until recently I did not play Souls or Soulsikes!!

At least I can cross off :justpost: and vote in the poll. Two down!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

New Super Metis posted:

there are three gangtags available, the best of which (see mine) is for completing the whole board first. but you can just do a line! it's all about the community participation!

Thank you for quoting me. Only 4 more quotes to go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

New Super Metis posted:

oh? are you challenging me?

here's a free quote, please take this bingo criminal down