Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure if this counts as an "iOS Apps Megathread" topic but not sure where else to put it.

Am I crazy or does folder sharing on iCloud Drive not work if the other person doesn't have an Apple account? If I open the share link in a separate browser I get this poo poo:

Since I'm paying for extra storage for the backups and photos anyway I wanted to use iCloud Drive as my main cloud storage, but not being able to share a proper folder structure with someone who isn't in the Apple ecosystem is... kinda pathetic. Pretty sure literally every other cloud storage service lets you have publicly viewable folder structures without the receiver needing an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The Deliveries thing is just the same as if ever was unless you used whatever the hell Junecloud sync was/is. Completely transparent unless you needed stuff across multiple devices.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Warbird posted:

The Deliveries thing is just the same as if ever was unless you used whatever the hell Junecloud sync was/is. Completely transparent unless you needed stuff across multiple devices.

Deliveries has been around for a long time and Junecloud is a cloud syncing service that was developed before iCloud sync was a thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure if this counts as an "iOS Apps Megathread" topic but not sure where else to put it.

Am I crazy or does folder sharing on iCloud Drive not work if the other person doesn't have an Apple account? If I open the share link in a separate browser I get this poo poo:

Since I'm paying for extra storage for the backups and photos anyway I wanted to use iCloud Drive as my main cloud storage, but not being able to share a proper folder structure with someone who isn't in the Apple ecosystem is... kinda pathetic. Pretty sure literally every other cloud storage service lets you have publicly viewable folder structures without the receiver needing an account.

Yeah I think that’s just iCloud. Maybe eventually it’ll come up to parity with 2008 Dropbox but who knows.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

Yeah I think that’s just iCloud. Maybe eventually it’ll come up to parity with 2008 Dropbox but who knows.
Yeesh! I’ve been using iPhones since the iPhone 4 but over the past year I’ve been looking over cheaper android phones with better cameras and vastly better first party services and I’m starting to wonder why I still go for iPhones sometimes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeesh! I’ve been using iPhones since the iPhone 4 but over the past year I’ve been looking over cheaper android phones with better cameras and vastly better first party services and I’m starting to wonder why I still go for iPhones sometimes.

Try actually using a cheaper android phone for a while and you will figure out why.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In all honesty, pretty much every sane file hoster requires you to have an account to access shared files, it’s just more common to have a Google or Microsoft account than to have a apple one.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

In all honesty, pretty much every sane file hoster requires you to have an account to access shared files, it’s just more common to have a Google or Microsoft account than to have a apple one.

google drive, onedrive, and dropbox all allow you to create shareable links to files or folders that can be used without authentication

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

google drive, onedrive, and dropbox all allow you to create shareable links to files or folders that can be used without authentication

And Nextcloud, Box, jumpshare, hightail, etc...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever been asked to log in to access a shared folder on another service where I can browse the folder structure and pick and choose which files I wanna download.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weedle posted:

The defaults on my personal OneDrive and Google drive are to require a user on shareable links, did they change it recently? I know that you can skip the requirement but the stock behaviour there is to require a user even if you share to everyone.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

The defaults on my personal OneDrive and Google drive are to require a user on shareable links, did they change it recently? I know that you can skip the requirement but the stock behaviour there is to require a user even if you share to everyone.

nothing has changed re: gdrive or onedrive behavior. the issue here is that icloud drive doesn't allow you to share a folder without requiring authentication, while other cloud storage services do

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Weedle posted:

nothing has changed re: gdrive or onedrive behavior. the issue here is that icloud drive doesn't allow you to share a folder without requiring authentication, while other cloud storage services do

iCloud works exactly the same, stock behaviour is "people i share this link with" AKA ask for user identity and you can change it to "whoever has the link" AKA open to everyone. Just tested on a rando file using incognito mode, no login required if i shared the file with no restrictions.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

SlowBloke posted:

iCloud works exactly the same, stock behaviour is "people i share this link with" AKA ask for user identity and you can change it to "whoever has the link" AKA open to everyone. Just tested on a rando file using incognito mode, no login required if i shared the file with no restrictions.
Your can share files without a login, but not folders.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Any suggestions for a parcel tracking app? I purchased Deliveries but they switched to a subscription based service last year and didn't grandfather anyone who previously purchased it. I don't mind paying for one, I just don't want a subscription based one.

I'd like to be able to track Amazon deliveries and eBay deliveries through their Pitney-Bowes shipping service.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mr. Apollo posted:

Any suggestions for a parcel tracking app? I purchased Deliveries but they switched to a subscription based service last year and didn't grandfather anyone who previously purchased it. I don't mind paying for one, I just don't want a subscription based one.

I'd like to be able to track Amazon deliveries and eBay deliveries through their Pitney-Bowes shipping service.

There's an app called Parcel that's worked great for me. It's free to track only 3 deliveries at a time, or you can pay something trivial like 1.99 or something to track more.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

OldSenileGuy posted:

There's an app called Parcel that's worked great for me. It's free to track only 3 deliveries at a time, or you can pay something trivial like 1.99 or something to track more.
Yeah, I have Parcel and I like it. It has a great native iOS feel to it. It is a subscription model, but only $3/year (not month). I think it can handle Pitney Bowes stuff but I’m not sure.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since I got my first iPhone, I've always used the stock mail app and it's always been fine for me. I never understood why people used/liked third-party mail apps.

Now I just started a new job that uses Exchange email, and I'm seeing the problems with the iOS stock mail app. For some reason, emails I get from certain people put the entire mail thread in every email, with no option to auto-hide or auto-collapse. And emails from certain other people come in with tiny tiny text that needs to be pinched way in on and scrolled to read.

I checked the OP, but it only has suggestions for the best iOS8 apps. :lol:

What are the best Mail apps that will be compatible with an Exchange server, a Gmail account, and a Yahoo mail account? I've done some searching and heard about Spark, Edison, and (ugh)Outlook. I'm open to paying for an app if it's good, but I don't really want a subscription service. I actually already downloaded Outlook and it's surprisingly not bad for a Microsoft app, but I'm wondering if something better is out there, or a goon-consensus "best mail app."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve gone through pretty much every iOS mail app and outlook is still the best despite it’s minor irritations (just one irritation really - sometimes you see a badge on the app and you go in to check the mail and you need to manually refresh the app and wait a few seconds for the new emails to actually show up)

It’s weird because on windows Microsoft can’t make a decent email app to save their lives, but their iOS app is the best. Nothing else displays conversations as well as outlook does.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Deliveries grandfathered everyone who purchased it into most of their features, exception being sync with their Junecloud service and any new features added. Even though, for those features they gave everyone 18 months of complimentary subscription.

https://junecloud.com/support/deliveries-ios/subscriptions.html

I ended up just subscribing to their app, it's only $5/yr :shrug:

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve gone through pretty much every iOS mail app and outlook is still the best despite it’s minor irritations (just one irritation really - sometimes you see a badge on the app and you go in to check the mail and you need to manually refresh the app and wait a few seconds for the new emails to actually show up)

It’s weird because on windows Microsoft can’t make a decent email app to save their lives, but their iOS app is the best. Nothing else displays conversations as well as outlook does.

Microsoft purchased a popular email app and renamed it Outlook, that's why it doesn't suck :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

FCKGW posted:

Deliveries grandfathered everyone who purchased it into most of their features, exception being sync with their Junecloud service and any new features added. Even though, for those features they gave everyone 18 months of complimentary subscription.

https://junecloud.com/support/deliveries-ios/subscriptions.html

I ended up just subscribing to their app, it's only $5/yr :shrug:

Microsoft purchased a popular email app and renamed it Outlook, that's why it doesn't suck :v:

I knew that, but it doesn't explain why they couldn't apply what they learned to their desktop product. They've had years now. I use mailspring on the desktop.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I'll try Outlook for a week or so and see how it goes.

I just....I hate the app icon so much. And to give such a hated icon a spot in my dock....it annoys me more than it should. I hate it so much that I might still give Spark Mail a try.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I'll try Outlook for a week or so and see how it goes.

I just....I hate the app icon so much. And to give such a hated icon a spot in my dock....it annoys me more than it should. I hate it so much that I might still give Spark Mail a try.

Just make a shortcut with the "Open app" action to open Outlook. Add that to your dock instead.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Arcsech posted:

Just make a shortcut with the "Open app" action to open Outlook. Add that to your dock instead.

That's....a great idea. Only two issues.

1) That means I won't get badges on the app icon, right? This actually isn't the end of the world, since I compulsively check emails just to get rid of that badge, so hopefully this leads to me checking my email less frequently.

2) Every time I launch the shortcut, there's a little slide down notification from the top of the screen with a check mark to tell me that the shortcut has run. Again, this is a small thing but irrationally annoying. Any way to turn that off?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 26, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use Airmail on the phone and desktop, suites my needs.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

I checked the OP, but it only has suggestions for the best iOS8 apps. :lol:

:sweatdrop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I still use Deliveries. As far as I can tell, all the subscription does is let you sync via their cloud and edit deliveries via the web, so I just do it via iCloud and don't use the web (which I didn't even know was an option!).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I use Shop for parcel tracking.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Deliveries doesn’t seem to track Amazon packages anymore without a subscription. I just keep getting “Not found” errors when I try.

I don’t mind paying for an app, I’d gladly pay $20 for it. I just don’t like how everything is becoming a subscription service now.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I use Shop for parcel tracking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One-time app purchases with unlimited updates for 10 years was a mistake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Deliveries doesn’t seem to track Amazon packages anymore without a subscription. I just keep getting “Not found” errors when I try.

I don’t mind paying for an app, I’d gladly pay $20 for it. I just don’t like how everything is becoming a subscription service now.

I don’t have a sub but I paid for it a while ago. I track Amazon just find. At worse, can’t you just copy paste the code.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mr. Apollo posted:

What? I just tried now and it tracked just fine. You can even hook it into Amazon to it pulls in stuff. I bought it years ago and don’t pay for a sub.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Are any of the iOS SMS spam filters worthwhile?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t have a sub but I paid for it a while ago. I track Amazon just find. At worse, can’t you just copy paste the code.

I can copy paste it just fine and it tracks and I don't have a sub. Like I said, for my usage, the only thing that's changed is I can't use their cloud service, but if it changes such that I can't track Amazon purchases, I'll have to find a new app.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Warbird posted:

What? I just tried now and it tracked just fine. You can even hook it into Amazon to it pulls in stuff. I bought it years ago and don’t pay for a sub.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know. Ever since my complimentary subscription ran out it won’t track Amazon deliveries anymore. I’ve tried cut and pasting the tracking link and Amazon’s tracking code and neither work.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've done some searching and heard about Spark, Edison, and (ugh)Outlook. I'm open to paying for an app if it's good, but I don't really want a subscription service. I actually already downloaded Outlook and it's surprisingly not bad for a Microsoft app, but I'm wondering if something better is out there, or a goon-consensus "best mail app."

Outlook is probably the best (it's what I use) if you're using Exchange. It started out life as a third-party mail app (Acompli) that Microsoft bought, branded, and made minor changes to.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I knew that, but it doesn't explain why they couldn't apply what they learned to their desktop product.

Because enterprise users are boring as hell and terrified of change, even when it's good.

A lot of what they learned from Acompli/Outlook Mobile has been rolled back into their desktop apps, but it requires that you have New Outlook available to you. (Most corporate users do not, because their admin has locked it out.) And all the exciting stuff hits the Mac version much earlier than the Windows version because the Mac users actually use it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have an iPhone 6+.

iPhone 6+es only go up to iOS 12.

Mail is making GBS threads itself, crashing when opening, regardless of reboots.

I tried getting Outlook, but it requires iOS 13.

Please recommend me an email app for an iPhone 6+ that isn't Mail/Outlook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I have an iPhone 6+.

iPhone 6+es only go up to iOS 12.

Mail is making GBS threads itself, crashing when opening, regardless of reboots.

I tried getting Outlook, but it requires iOS 13.

Please recommend me an email app for an iPhone 6+ that isn't Mail/Outlook.

Spark, Edison, and Newton are usual recommendations from people (and work on iOS 12), but if I had to guess, your problem is with one of your Mail accounts. I’d start there, try disabling/deleting one by one until you find the culprit. I had a similar problem with a school email years ago, but judging by my age now, it was well before iOS 12.