Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You're supposed to put your feet on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gotta bonk the pedals into position whenever I stop at a light. I might do that a hundred times on a 15 mile ride around Manhattan.

Coredump posted:

Those are RaceFace Chesters on there. I'll ask her if the spikes scratch her. But yeah any recommendations for other platform pedals I'm all ears. But I'm stuck with they gotta be purple now.

I'm using RaceFace Ride pedals now. I'm pretty sure they come in the same purple.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

I'm using RaceFace Ride pedals now. I'm pretty sure they come in the same purple.

They do! Thanks for that and I'll pass that along.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Safety Dance posted:

Gotta bonk the pedals into position whenever I stop at a light. I might do that a hundred times on a 15 mile ride around Manhattan.

Are you wearing sandals?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

frogbs posted:

Are you wearing sandals?

This might surprise you, but no

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I don't love dirt pedals with the little studs. The way ride around town, they wind up scratching the hell out of my shins. If she also has that problem, RaceFace (and I assume other manufacturers) make plastic platform pedals without the metal studs that work almost as well, and won't scratch her up.
I ride downhill pedals in my cargo bike and I've never, ever hurt myself on them.

Safety Dance posted:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You're supposed to put your feet on them
Either lift with your toes or kick down and catch with your sole. Why are you purposefully catching your pedal with your goddamn shin what the gently caress

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Either lift with your toes or kick down and catch with your sole. Why are you purposefully catching your pedal with your goddamn shin what the gently caress

I thought it was easier to spend 20 bucks on new pedals than retrain my muscle memory. It turns out there are a bunch of different ways to do the same thing

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I thought it was easier to spend 20 bucks on new pedals than retrain my muscle memory. It turns out there are a bunch of different ways to do the same thing
Now you'll be doing it wrong FOREVER

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wait you’re using your shins to move the pedals to where you want them when stopped? What?

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Serious lack of pics of bikeees on this page...

My brother in law wants me to sell these wheels so I figured I would test ride them for a bit first...they are nice but I prefer something a bit less deep

Feels great to finally ride something fast, winter commuting on my CrossCheck is great but my SuperProdigy is just fun

The photo is a bit whited out, the red is actually quite bright, I will take a better one later this week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
muscle

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Apparently I cause derails wherever I goooo lol. Also friend reported back on her first ride on the bike. She's able to smoke her SO and feels much more confident on the street. The three of us are gonna go on even more silly riding adventures now.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

I ride downhill pedals in my cargo bike and I've never, ever hurt myself on them.

Right, I run Shimano DH pedals on my commuter. Had medium priced plastic ones on there before, but they felt a little flexy out of the saddle. Very annoying.

You need better flat pedals! :argh:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Coredump posted:

Apparently I cause derails wherever I goooo lol. Also friend reported back on her first ride on the bike. She's able to smoke her SO and feels much more confident on the street. The three of us are gonna go on even more silly riding adventures now.

:3: one of ussss

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Got my mountain bike back from the shop and had an awesome ride. I haven't ridden much over the last one and a half months due to lovely weather and not having my bike so I was expecting to feel like a donkey but I rode strong and managed to crush a steep hill that normally forces me to walk. I wound up riding my full loop plus another few meandering miles. The weather is so nice right now and I'm thankful to be able to ride.

Also found a new section of trail I've never been on and stumbled upon a well-visited geocache in a tree.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 21, 2021

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Is Manitou the only company that does reverse arches? Because that poo poo looks slick af. I miss mine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
going through some old pics

and the only time my bike was ever really clean

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Track bike? 🆖
Trash bike? 🆗!

This is Ramona (the pest). Buying a single speed was the best bike decision I've ever made, it's just pure joy to ride.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Track bike? 🆖
Trash bike? 🆗!

This is Ramona (the pest). Buying a single speed was the best bike decision I've ever made, it's just pure joy to ride.

Nice. And the Hotline sticker too! (itt you've developed covid parasocial fixations, but it's cool cos it's Terry Barentsen.)

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Al2001 posted:

Nice. And the Hotline sticker too! (itt you've developed covid parasocial fixations, but it's cool cos it's Terry Barentsen.)

Wasn't honestly sure what the general opinion of him was, but I feel called out! I found his videos right around when covid hit and they are great to have on in the background while I'm working.

I love the script, and the color was perfect for a purple bike. I don't harbor any illusions of being a badass rider (yet), only running 48x18.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I've never been on a single speed, why is it such a joy?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Simple is good

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

Hard to explain! It's simple, it's light and responsive. Feels like a more direct relationship with the bike. When I bought it, I never thought that my crux would sit at the back of the garage unridden in favor of ancient technology.

It's not just me though, I let a coworker ride and they immediately went out and bought one.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I like how you don't have think about anything other than mashing pedals. When you get back to shifting your cadence might be higher as well

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally got my SKs back on.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Finishing tweaks done on the gravel bike including finally sourcing a period-correct color-matched front fork.

And put a full Force-22 groupset on the road bike (previously Campagnolo Veloce; found out I LOVE DoubleTap after putting Apex brifters on the Rockhopper).

7.9kg as shown

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How different-feeling are those two bikes to ride? It looks like your posture and overall body position would be similar, but the gear ratios are clearly quite different, and obviously the tires/wheels are going to make a difference. I'm just curious, at first glance those two bikes as pictured look remarkably similar but I expect the road bike is like twice as fast and four times as painful on a bump.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

You're right that posture is basically the same (fit is within a half inch in every measure), it's really about how over the front you feel. The Rockhopper feels like you're sitting way back (despite the BB setback being identical between the two; probably the longer chainstays/wheelbase?) The CAAD position feels much more "on top of" the front axle.

The Rockhopper is super smooth and in some ways almost feels more effortless to move forward. I'm sure the CAAD is faster by some not insignificant margin, but it feels like you're doing work to make it happen. Suppleness of the Rene Herse tires sure helps a lot. The 25c Michelins measure to 28 and do feel plush, but plush by road bike standards. Yeah, you feel more for sure!

And no surprise the Rockhopper on the big ring feels more like the CAAD on the small ring. I honestly wish I could fit a compact crank on the Rockhopper but the chainstays are too wide. 42t is pretty close to the max.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 29, 2021

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Unsinkabear posted:

Fast, light, durable, and it kicks rear end not having to think about gears at all. Nothing but pedalling

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
They're really good for commuting too in terms of locking up to a big public rack, which I used to do a lot. You don't have to worry about your derailleurs getting knocked out of place or your hanger being bent by other people slamming their bikes in and out of the rack. Just grab it and go. Plus if it gets left outside at said racks in wet weather there's less maintenance of things like shifters and cables etc.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you like riding a single speed you should really try a fixed gear (I'd recommend brakes tho), it's the simplicity and connection to the bike on 11 - really pleasant for cruising around.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

really pleasant for cruising around.

You have to pay more attention with a fixed gear. It's not as casual, especially with stuff like pedaling from a stop.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
And never forget you can't coast or you'll get bucked off

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live in a place called “the Peak District” I am going to take a wild guess that a fixie for me would be neither simple or pleasant lol.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No, but for flat-ish errands and commutes single speed owns.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I dream of being able to bomb along a flat beach on a single speed wearing shorts and sandals with not a care in the world.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

learnincurve posted:

I dream of being able to bomb along a flat beach on a single speed wearing shorts and sandals with not a care in the world.

and we dream of being where you are.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, Florida gets pretty boring to ride :v:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Unsinkabear posted:

I found the segment for the start of the road I had to ride up home as a kid on a mountain bike with 6 gears, hewn from iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got an old SS cross bike that I use for bumming around. Think the gearing is 34x18, so hills aren't a big deal.

I've since replaced those pedals with some Shimano DH pedals. Nice and stiff.