Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Huh, I was sure it provided some numbers. Is that only for the even higher difficulty settings then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/longgameshort/status/1376919300083216394

Well that's just lovely.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Can FTL that takes 25 days to engage really be called "emergency?"

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Maybe there was an intense month long chase in the solar system and they got caught a day or two before the drive was done charging. I usually go with the timetables as is and headcannon it with "Space big" :v:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is the AI spiteful or just useless? We (another player and I) had a federation with a few of our vassals. As soon as the AI became president of the federation, they disbanded all the federation fleets, around 75k worth of fleet power, for no real reason.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

Is the AI spiteful or just useless? We (another player and I) had a federation with a few of our vassals. As soon as the AI became president of the federation, they disbanded all the federation fleets, around 75k worth of fleet power, for no real reason.

Unmodded, the AI will eventually crash its own economy unless they've blobbed enough to make it irrelevant. I'm guessing it decided it couldn't support the maintenance costs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Noir89 posted:

Maybe there was an intense month long chase in the solar system and they got caught a day or two before the drive was done charging. I usually go with the timetables as is and headcannon it with "Space big" :v:

I write the time dilation off to a lot of TNG style meetings.

"Captain, we're currently being impacted by an energy weapon and will continue to be for the next four hours."

"To the conference room!"

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
The next DLC's achievements have been added on Steam.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

fashionly snort posted:

As a spiritualist empire Is there a good reason to outlaw robot workers? Yeah you take a faction influence hit if you don’t, but the population-growth you’d lose out on by appeasing them seems so much worse

You're basically creating a slave race at that point, there are a ton of ethics who won't be okay with that so you're gimping your influence.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Duodecimal posted:

The next DLC's achievements have been added on Steam.

I love that Blorgs are the mascot race.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I really wish I had better options to manage unemployment in my late game empire. I have a Penal Colony, and Social Welfare and Chemical Bliss lifestyles for all the species under my control. They don't give a poo poo about being unemployed, and they won't turn to crime because I've got it nipped in the bud empire-wide. But I still get constant prompts to give them more consumer goods, which I would happily do just to stop getting pestered.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Icon for with thunderous applause is some quality av material

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There's always a chance that your ship just jumps out instead of getting destroyed. I had a lot of science ships taking that route over the years. With some exceptions (like the horror and that one space dragon), if enemy fire pelts down on your science ship hard enough, it may jump out on day 1, instead of having to wait the full time.

I don't know why though. Maybe it's related to disengagement chance?

Edit:

Of course you could also argue your ship "disengaging" like this means it breaks contact using its sublight engines and then goes dark, until FTL is ready. Since the entire thing is abstracted away, you can roleplay what ever you think should have happened

And obviously, if you want to manually trigger emergency FTL, you have to indeed wait the full timer before you're allowed to click that button :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I really wish there was a grace period to let your scientists bounce before they get killed asap by leviathans. I hate losing high lvl scientists for doing their job.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ChickenWing posted:

Icon for with thunderous applause is some quality av material

It's real good

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

And Tyler Too! posted:

I really wish there was a grace period to let your scientists bounce before they get killed asap by leviathans. I hate losing high lvl scientists for doing their job.

There is one. Some leviathans don't have the range to immediately attack you if you're lucky and enter the system too far away from them. And outside battle you can just teleport your scientists instantly across the galaxy, so hit that pause button and there you go! :v:

The horror will always kill your scientist, though. That fucker covers the entire system with its attack.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Infinite Karma posted:

I really wish I had better options to manage unemployment in my late game empire. I have a Penal Colony, and Social Welfare and Chemical Bliss lifestyles for all the species under my control. They don't give a poo poo about being unemployed, and they won't turn to crime because I've got it nipped in the bud empire-wide. But I still get constant prompts to give them more consumer goods, which I would happily do just to stop getting pestered.

Just go full Utopian Abundance at that point, you're not destroying anyone by mandating that an entire species be drugged into compliance and that way you'll get the happiness bonus for all your pops.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

And Tyler Too! posted:

High level scientists are for archeology and anomaly research. Eager level one expendables should be the ones doing exploration and really if you're sending a level five scientist into a blackhole system with no other connections that's on you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

High level scientists are for archeology and anomaly research. Eager level one expendables should be the ones doing exploration and really if you're sending a level five scientist into a blackhole system with no other connections that's on you.

I won't rest until everything has been surveyed. That lvl 5 scientist could be lvl 6, map the stars!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Relevant Tangent posted:

Just go full Utopian Abundance at that point, you're not destroying anyone by mandating that an entire species be drugged into compliance and that way you'll get the happiness bonus for all your pops.
That's not compatible with my authoritarian ethos, but I looked into it, and the Chemical Bliss lifestyle actually applies a happiness penalty if they're unemployed, for some stupid reason, so I painstakingly changed every species and subspecies in my empire to Social Welfare, and not only did the crime warnings go away, my overall productivity went up despite all the extra consumer goods that 120 worlds demanded.

There's something really satisfying about being an Imperial Authoritarian/Militarist, only letting your species be full citizens, and conquering the galaxy with World Breakers and overwhelming force, and then having awesome social welfare and happiness boosts, and everyone likes their benevolent, immortal ruler better than their original ethoses.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bobfly posted:

Huh, I was sure it provided some numbers. Is that only for the even higher difficulty settings then?

I checked upon starting a new game, it only tells you the number if you select them specifically. So if you just leave it as random, you don't know if they're going to show up. It might be a good idea for Gigastructures to not have them or the German Kitties automatically active.

During this i was thinking how the hell you could match against those. In that game i had near 6000 fleet command, and had 90% of that in fleets, and the fleets were at max 70k power, and i had about 12 fleets maxed out at 210 size. That's not even a million, and that's deep in the repeatable tech tree. Is there some tech i'm missing?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

twistedmentat posted:

I checked upon starting a new game, it only tells you the number if you select them specifically. So if you just leave it as random, you don't know if they're going to show up. It might be a good idea for Gigastructures to not have them or the German Kitties automatically active.

During this i was thinking how the hell you could match against those. In that game i had near 6000 fleet command, and had 90% of that in fleets, and the fleets were at max 70k power, and i had about 12 fleets maxed out at 210 size. That's not even a million, and that's deep in the repeatable tech tree. Is there some tech i'm missing?

Where are all of your Behemoth Planetcrafts?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i succesfully whacked them with about 25 behemoths and a fuckton of corvettes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

twistedmentat posted:

the gigastructure enemies are all dumb as hell
that said, you're supposed to weaponize a solar system or two and also you're supposed to build the weapons that can kill everything in a solar system
e: except for the katz imperium, the risk map minigame owns
also chasing the kaizer all the way into the hell future owns

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that's what I figured the planetcraft were for.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yami Fenrir posted:

It's actually somewhat jarring that one of the advertised features of Nemesis is quite obviously a reused dig site, honestly.
Which one? Reusing mechanics is cool and good assuming the base mechanic is solid and relevant.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Splicer posted:

Which one? Reusing mechanics is cool and good assuming the base mechanic is solid and relevant.

What I mean is, the first contact thing uses the same basic digsite UI.

They didn't like, even try to make it look different or anything.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I think that spying uses the same thing. It's a good system and the UI is easily understandable to anyone who's done archaeology before. It's just no longer the "dig site" UI and is now the "Event" UI

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

PSYCHIC HARMONIZER CURES CONTINGENCY

Also, I think I broke the Unbidden. I pushed into their home system and wiped out their fleet but before I could do anything about the tear sovereignty switched back to the Fallen Empire and kicked me out.

Their fleets are still reinforcing but aren't moving so there's currently 28 million and counting of broken hostiles.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think that spying uses the same thing. It's a good system and the UI is easily understandable to anyone who's done archaeology before. It's just no longer the "dig site" UI and is now the "Event" UI
Yeah, don't mess with what works.

Also, switch megastructures to archaeology mode thanks.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-207-challenging-origins.1465211/

New dev diary's up! All about the new origins coming in Nemesis. or not.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

I would totally play some of those.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The, “entire galaxy was wiped” could be outstanding if there were loads of new events to go with it, but well today’s the day I stay off the internet sooo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Would totally do a "This is fine" game

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well. There's an Infernoid race in modding. Uncertain whether it includes living in STARS, but it's certainly a next step, if it isn't there already.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2079074663&searchtext=fire

There were attempts during the old days of Tiles to push 'primitive players'(Think Master of Orion 'pre-warp':have to research Hyperdrive, so you're stuck at home. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2269373328 ) even further back, into primitives. It died, but clearly the thought remains. God knows I still sometimes think on it.

The biggest issue with that 'Surviving the Aftermath' is the lack of places to build new Habitats. The destroyed husks seem too small. Also it'd be a VERY slow game since there'd be a hard limit on how far you could grow.

The Prison Architect could be interesting if it interacts properly with other empires. Empires with high crime can enter a special migration treaty: Only Criminals are taken. You of course can declare war on Criminal Syndicates for Justice.

The thing is they COULD work.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 1, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Would unironically play the Surviving the Aftermath origin

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2442677128

Well, you can try.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

HopperUK posted:

I'm having such a nice time with this game, bumbling along on easy settings, no idea what I'm doing. It's all new to me. Galactic council? Sounds awesome! Just made buddies with a species that likes dry worlds so I can finally colonise these stupid deserts all over my space. Learning about psionics! I'm sure nothing bad can come of that!

Everything is lovely when you pick that adorable little big-eyed lizard species portrait. Even the species next door that keeps trying to hate me loves me because I bombard them with envoys.

Hello fellow nice-timer! I like just bumbling around in this game too. Just picked up the Lithoids to almost complete my collection.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Lithoids yet to be honest, but I also think their robot model that came with the pack is absolutely sick and that makes it worth it for me.

Edit:

Infinite Karma posted:

That's not compatible with my authoritarian ethos, but I looked into it, and the Chemical Bliss lifestyle actually applies a happiness penalty if they're unemployed, for some stupid reason, so I painstakingly changed every species and subspecies in my empire to Social Welfare, and not only did the crime warnings go away, my overall productivity went up despite all the extra consumer goods that 120 worlds demanded.

For doing this in the future, it'd probably be much easier to to change the Default setting via the button above the Species list and just mass-apply that, then go change back any exceptions like your primary species. Much less manipulating.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 3, 2021

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good lord I want all those joke origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
So how do you guys manage things when you get upwards of 40 planets/habitats? It’s almost a full time job, does auto work well?