Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Whedon is (was?) his good friend. People defend their friends. More has come out by this point in that there is evidence of people’s claims.

He’s not defending Whedon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fwiw she and other cast speaks well of alan tudyk on this red carpet video i just found, which tbf is practically meaningless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-UP_6qZqzI

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Whedon is (was?) his good friend. People defend their friends. More has come out by this point in that there is evidence of people’s claims.

He’s not defending Whedon now.

Yeah, I said that earlier. I have no problem with Tudyk. But also, immediately going "it didn't happen to me so I can't imagine it happening" is an attitude I don't like.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
It's definitely bad to say "in my experience he was fine" (even though the experience isn't comparable, Tudyk is a man after all), because people use such statements as evidence that bad people are in fact OK. Especially now more has come out it's probably not good to keep silent on the matter either, at least say you believe the people who are accusing him rather than leave your statement of deflection on the record. If your friend turns out to be an awful piece of poo poo that abused women you shouldn't defend them at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

He was asked and presumably gave an honest answer.

He wasn’t asked at all, he went out of his way to make the statement on his own. He’s since deleted the tweet but here’s an article with a copy of it: https://sciencefiction.com/2020/07/...-shouldnt-have/

It was a stupid and lovely thing for him to do. If he “wasn’t there,” then end of statement, no need to say anything else. He jumped in front of his friend and immediately believed him over his accusers. gently caress Alan Tudyk.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Pirate Jet posted:

He wasn’t asked at all, he went out of his way to make the statement on his own. He’s since deleted the tweet but here’s an article with a copy of it: https://sciencefiction.com/2020/07/...-shouldnt-have/

It was a stupid and lovely thing for him to do. If he “wasn’t there,” then end of statement, no need to say anything else. He jumped in front of his friend and immediately believed him over his accusers. gently caress Alan Tudyk.

quote:

Twitter users quickly unleashed a slew of comments pointing out Whedon’s past indiscretions, some of which he has admitted. Since Tudyk’s tweet flat out states that he “wasn’t there,” others argue that he has no business trying to invalidate another person’s perception and experience. Others have simply urged him to stay out of it and delete the tone-deaf tweet.

I guess he was smart enough to realize that people were right and he hosed up big time. Although it's sad there's no more comments from him about it. But who knows! Guy probably doesn't want to torpedo his career a la Gina Carano.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

I guess he was smart enough to realize that people were right and he hosed up big time. Although it's sad there's no more comments from him about it. But who knows! Guy probably doesn't want to torpedo his career a la Gina Carano.

Tudyk isn't the chud out of the Firefly group so far as I know, that'd be Adam Baldwin.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's also entirely possible that FIREFLY was a happy set where everyone got along, so when you hear these other stories of course there's a natural inclination to jump in and offer another perspective. He's still wrong to do it because yeah he wasn't there, but I get the need to be defensive on a friend's behalf as well. Sadly you make these mistakes on Twitter and people aren't likely to forget.

Funnily enough, none of the stories about Whedon came from that period right? It was the Buffy years and then most recently on JL. But it's weird that no one from those years inbetween have had anything to say.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DrVenkman posted:

It's also entirely possible that FIREFLY was a happy set where everyone got along, so when you hear these other stories of course there's a natural inclination to jump in and offer another perspective. He's still wrong to do it because yeah he wasn't there, but I get the need to be defensive on a friend's behalf as well. Sadly you make these mistakes on Twitter and people aren't likely to forget.

Funnily enough, none of the stories about Whedon came from that period right? It was the Buffy years and then most recently on JL. But it's weird that no one from those years inbetween have had anything to say.

Firefly also only had 14 episodes in 1 season. It sounds weird to say, but he may not have had enough time to throw his weight around, as he was still trying to establish the show, and then it was gone.

This is, of course, purely speculation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other than Dollhouse Whedon didn't really have any shows or film casts to harass.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
We also, as far as I know, haven't heard anything from the Avengers cast and crew.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also for whatever stock you put into this sort of thing, Hollywood scuttlebutt is that Whedon is being de-listed and his name is too poisonous to work with. Warner Bros execs have “been heard” to side with Ray Fisher, not because of of Fisher or Carpenter, but specifically Trachtenberg. Hopefully it takes this time.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

He’ll probably still get work punching up scripts and throwing some jokes in.

That’s where his strengths are anyway

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
WB would be dumb to work with him again anyway, at least public. I don't think they gave a poo poo about Fisher and I think they were fine with what Whedon did on JL because as they saw it he was working with a bad foundation to begin with. I don't buy, as seen in the Vanity Fair piece on Snyder, that WB were 'embarrassed' by his work on JL because he gave them exactly what they hired him for. I don't even buy he was that he was there for the editing.

In reality he's probably doing script work on someone's next blockbuster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't The Nevers his deal?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't The Nevers his deal?

They literally already fired his from it as soon as it was finished getting written and honestly, thank god, I think we’ve all had enough of Joss Whedon’s “a strong woman is a woman who is, like, physically very strong, or has magic powers” style of storytelling

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lmao. Incredible.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

sponges posted:

Debatable.

https://twitter.com/geeklawgrad/status/1376045535476527105?s=21

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

I think I remember someone accusing him of tormenting the female writers on the show, but he seems to be the kind of guy to only target people he thinks he can get away with abusing and tried to keep it quiet. Firefly was a cast full of established actors and really jacked dudes who, by all accounts, were close friends with one another and would have probably stood up for any girls he went after (Whedon was also much less famous and highly paid when he did that show compared to a few years ago). Anthony Stewart Head apparently had no idea what was going on with Buffy, which suggests Whedon tempered his behavior in front of him and made sure the girls were too scared to speak out. Likewise, The Avengers movies had a bunch of extremely famous actors present much of the time whose careers he couldn't threaten, including folks like Robert Downey Jr. who were powerful enough to make requests/demands of the execs and could have likely had Whedon thrown off the movie if he was being a jackass.

From what Ray Fisher said about how Whedon behaved with Justice League, like mixing up Marvel and DC character names and intentionally repeating poo poo from Age of Ultron, it seems like Whedon's a narcissist who had lingering resentment over that movie getting a less wildly positive reception than The Avengers and was feeling like he was rich and powerful enough that he could do whatever he wanted even on the set of the year's most anticipated blockbuster. Ray Fisher is also a stage actor who had nothing but background credits in film before getting picked to play Cyborg and Gal Gadot's a woman who had extremely limited fame before being cast as Wonder Woman, so he probably felt that they were acceptable targets for him to threaten to blackball if he needed to throw his weight around. You can't exactly do that to Ben Affleck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nobody acts like an abusive gently caress in the presence of Sam Jackson.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

sponges posted:

Surely it's gotta be cheaper and easier to get someone else to insert poo poo like "so that just happened" into scripts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is nothing Joss Whedon can do to a script that Patton Oswalt or John Mulaney or Ben Schwartz can’t also do to that script, it’s all the same style of humor and they’ve all done punch up for basically just as long

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea from what I read about the Buffy situation it seemed like Whedon was smart enough not to do anything around Sarah Michelle Gellar, because he knew she was integral to the show. So his harassment and intimidation tactics were always in private meetings and such.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

sponges posted:

Is it really?

I can't think of a script he's worked on that I would call "good" since I don't know, Toy Story 1.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Bust Rodd posted:

There is nothing Joss Whedon can do to a script that Patton Oswalt or John Mulaney or Ben Schwartz can’t also do to that script, it’s all the same style of humor and they’ve all done punch up for basically just as long

I was gonna make the point about Oswalt, as it's been mentioned that he's like a go-to for a ton of blockbusters.

Also, some days I really do think he killed his wife. Out of maybe wanting to be out of the relationship, and maybe of out jealousy of Michelle's inevitable climb to true-crime fame after she inevitably solved it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think there's definitely a pattern of Joss not targeting the big names - Eliza Dushku's statement was generically supportive as well, not really saying anything about her interactions with Joss personally. The ones you tend to hear about - Fisher, Charisma Carpenter, Nicholas Brendon and Tractenburg were all less big names.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

Likewise, The Avengers movies had a bunch of extremely famous actors present much of the time whose careers he couldn't threaten, including folks like Robert Downey Jr. who were powerful enough to make requests/demands of the execs and could have likely had Whedon thrown off the movie if he was being a jackass.

I'm trying to imagine what would have happened if he'd tried to pull the poo poo he did to Charisma Carpenter with Scarlett Johansson.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enki42 posted:

I think there's definitely a pattern of Joss not targeting the big names - Eliza Dushku's statement was generically supportive as well, not really saying anything about her interactions with Joss personally. The ones you tend to hear about - Fisher, Charisma Carpenter, Nicholas Brendon and Tractenburg were all less big names.

Tractenberg was also a literal child when she started working on Buffy, I think really needs to be pointed out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I was a predator trying to lay low, I would definitely avoid Dushku, because there’s basically no way he hadn’t heard about all the horrible poo poo she’d already been through as a child with that hosed up stunt coordinator

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If I was a predator trying to lay low, I would definitely avoid Dushku, because there’s basically no way he hadn’t heard about all the horrible poo poo she’d already been through as a child with that hosed up stunt coordinator

Sexual predators aren't usually completely rational. Part of it is knowing you can get away with it.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Boywhiz88 posted:

I was gonna make the point about Oswalt, as it's been mentioned that he's like a go-to for a ton of blockbusters.

Also, some days I really do think he killed his wife. Out of maybe wanting to be out of the relationship, and maybe of out jealousy of Michelle's inevitable climb to true-crime fame after she inevitably solved it.

What the gently caress dude! They had a daughter together why the gently caress would you think that? That's a pretty huge accusation to make even in a dead forum.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Um, what the gently caress? I wouldn't toss that around without having even a little bit of a reason to.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Sexual predators aren't usually completely rational. Part of it is knowing you can get away with it.

Well more to that, abusers and predators are looking out for former victims in particular.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boywhiz88 posted:

What the gently caress? This certainly came out of nowhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a lovely hot take I've seen elsewhere, usually posted by people with nothing to base it on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also, LAPD sucks, but there's no way in hell they didn't at least consider the wife of a celebrity dying in her home might be a homicide, and then check to make sure it wasn't.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Boywhiz88 posted:

whatthefuck :staredog:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it was a freak accident caused by her meds interacting with an unknown heart disorder, there’s no way he could have murdered her unless he somehow knew about a medical condition that she had but was somehow unaware of.

I looked all this poo poo up because I thought he got remarried like super quickly and was like “hey that’s weird” but yeah I really really don’t think there’s anything to suggest it, it’s just a mean meme, I think.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People seem to think that since he got remarried so fast that he's clearly a murderer.

People grieve and heal in their own ways but assholes don't want to accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love the "jealousy of her inevitable rise to true crime fame." Name a true crime author off the top of your head without looking it up, you can't.

Truman Capote doesn't count.