Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

VinylonUnderground posted:

I haven't seen the director's cut of the Gathering. Is it worth revisiting? Because the original one was really bad.

There are a couple of small additions and they replace the original Stewart Copeland soundtrack with a Christopher Franke score.

The costuming and makeup are ROUGH. G’Kar and Londo are mostly OK, but I’m glad they took another pass at the Minbari for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
When I introduced my girlfriend to the series we skipped The Gathering and jumped straight to Season 1 - I think the only time it was an issue was when they referenced the attack on Kosh in one episode and how Lyta was the only person to see him aside from the doctor.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doctor Zero posted:

Aha. Yes, mostly. I watched The Gathering but at the time it didn't grab me enough to religiously watch it. I figured it was going to be yet another low budget episodic sci-fi show. I would watch episodes here and there with my dad, but didn't pay a ton of attention. Then when discussing it with a friend he mentioned the Shadow ship and how freaky it was. He told me that there was a cool continuing story and described it and it sounded awesome. Apparently I had managed to only see the (sort of terrible) stand-alone episodes. So S2, E1 I sat down and started paying attention and following. When Interludes and Examinations aired I declared it to be the greatest TV Show of all Time.

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember watching The Gathering with my dad when it aired on the tiny kitchen TV with a car battery because the power had been knocked out by a major storm.

I didn't really watch again until about season 3 because B5 came on at the same time I went to youth group because I was a giant dork in my early years :negative:

I also missed most of the first season and started watching at some point in season 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The first ep I watched was the next to last one. One of my friends was ground floor on B5 and I had ignored it, but he was going to have a watch party for Sleeping in Light when we were all home from college for Thanksgiving so I decided to force march through the Lurker's Guide synopses so I'd know what was going on. I watched the whole thing on the SciFi Channel rebroadcast a few years later.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if a jokey reference to a mass extinction event for a sentient species is "light".

Yeah my bad here but it's certainly lighter than what is implied in current title or the main reason for this thread to pump out hundreds of posts from time to time...
At least it's a great insider joke.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if a jokey reference to a mass extinction event for a sentient species is "light".

During a pandemic IRL.

I’ll console myself by listening to Boxleitner’s response to the “Minibar War” blooper a few times. His amused tone always cheers me up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ultrafilter posted:

I was responding to the same post that you were. Did you watch the rest of the series in the original broadcast? I thought I was the only one.

I watched the original broadcast, and was also one of the few people in the UK to watch The Gathering before BTTP. It got a VHS rental release but wasn't aired on UK TV until partway through S1.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Do fish hold significance to Minbari culture? Delenn mentions that their words for 'fish' and 'prayer,' sound alike. Their spacecraft are fishy too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I just found my copy of Amazing Stories Winter 2000, which has JMS's G'Kar and Lyta short story in.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
You can tell you're watching the original version of The Gathering by the bananas music. Part of me wishes they had kept that style for the series, although I like what we got too.

Seemlar posted:

Kosh greets Sinclair as "Entil'zha Valen" is the other one

I had forgotten about that. Why would Kosh even do that? Dude doesn't give a straight answer about anything, but then he's all like "What up, Valen, my man?" the second he arrives?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Dirty posted:

You can tell you're watching the original version of The Gathering by the bananas music. Part of me wishes they had kept that style for the series, although I like what we got too.

I had forgotten about that. Why would Kosh even do that? Dude doesn't give a straight answer about anything, but then he's all like "What up, Valen, my man?" the second he arrives?

He's probably being a dick, knowing that Sinclair will have no idea what the gently caress that means and probably think it's some kind of Vorlons greeting.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Seemlar posted:

Kosh greets Sinclair as "Entil'zha Valen" is the other one

In my headcanon, Kosh spent the past 10 minutes telling himself to be cool and just fanboyed the moment he saw Sinclair.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is that definitely something Kosh said, or is Lyta just picking up his thoughts? Sinclair might not know what Entil'Zha means, but he would definitely recognize Valen.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ultrafilter posted:

Is that definitely something Kosh said, or is Lyta just picking up his thoughts? Sinclair might not know what Entil'Zha means, but he would definitely recognize Valen.

Not knowing any context he may think it's just a polite greeting like "praise god."

just my head cannon. I should look up what JMS says about it, but :effort:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I looked it up. From the guide page:

quote:

Why would Kosh tell Sinclair he was Valen?

Internal dialogue...what he was thinking, his reaction.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kosh doing that greeting is one of those things that, on re-watch, is like "OH poo poo THAT IS SUPER OBVIOUS"

For a first-time viewer, it's like "oh look some alien language babble."

Then later you start hearing the Minbari use the same phrase. And you learn that Valen is an important Minbari religious figure. And you learn that the Minbari are the closest (but still really distant) to the Vorlons, so it's not THAT weird that a Vorlon used a Minbari phrase.

It's not until the business with Minbari souls in human bodies AND the stuff with B4 doing time travel that you really have all the pieces to make it all out.

It's a well-done reveal because all the pieces were there, but they didn't slap you in the face.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Doctor Zero posted:

Not knowing any context he may think it's just a polite greeting like "praise god."

just my head cannon. I should look up what JMS says about it, but :effort:

But also, Kosh never greets the actual Sinclair that way. He greets fake Sinclair that way; which explains why there's zero reaction to it, even if Sinclair ought to.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CaptainPsyko posted:

But also, Kosh never greets the actual Sinclair that way. He greets fake Sinclair that way; which explains why there's zero reaction to it, even if Sinclair ought to.

He's actually greeting a Minbari in a changeling net who ABSOLUTELY understood what was being said. So, was Kosh actually aware of what was happening and trying to warn the guy off?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

RIP Senator Elise Voudreau

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bartolimu posted:

He's actually greeting a Minbari in a changeling net who ABSOLUTELY understood what was being said. So, was Kosh actually aware of what was happening and trying to warn the guy off?

It's Kosh. He knew exactly who he was speaking to and what was going on. Every single word Kosh says is deliberately chosen and has meaning behind it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1376029585309978627

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Remasters, finally???? :pray:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Doctor Zero posted:

Maybe the HD upgrade did a better job than expected, sales-wise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Zero posted:

There's still the issue of all the composite shots blending film and CG elements...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I want to believe, but I'm not sure I want to hope.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The HBO release has apparently done well, would be amazing if it's pushed them to do a proper remaster.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not counting on anything until I see the actual release, but yeah, this does look good.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
LOL, I just bought the recently-released remastered version not long ago (and am still waiting for certain aspects of it to be fixed, hopefully). How many times will I have to buy this series?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Number_6 posted:

LOL, I just bought the recently-released remastered version not long ago (and am still waiting for certain aspects of it to be fixed, hopefully). How many times will I have to buy this series?

Until the time you say "no".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Number_6 posted:

I don't think there's going to be another version despite that JMS tweet. It could be anything, like related to Blu-ray extras or a video game thing or even a new series or whatever. I would not assume it's about another remaster of the show, or even if it is, that it actually ever gets made.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't think I'd complain if B5:IFH finally got released.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I don't think I'd complain if B5:IFH finally got released.

Was that the old sierra game that never made it out of trailer town?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iymarra posted:

Was that the old sierra game that never made it out of trailer town?

Into the Fire was the Sierra game. I've Found Her was the fan game on a custom engine that released a four-mission prologue aaaaages ago before going tits-up (I think its most recent update was 2006?), as most fan projects do.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Maybe a re-release will fix the spelling errors in the season 1 Babylon 5 DVD set. Or maybe not.

Picked up my readthrough of SFL Archives 1994 and Babylon 5 chat has been relentless. It got much worse when JMS started posting directly to the SFL Archives mailing list. Content wise Babylon 5 chat took up 60% of Vol 19a, which covers discussion of everything scifi & fantasy related through January-June 1994 . Vol 19b has been even more Babylon 5 focused to the point where the mailing list said they were getting 5000 messages a week about Babylon 5, which is insane numbers given it was 1994 and almost nobody was online yet.

B5 fans of 1994 have been: overhyping Kosh/expecting that Kosh will be getting more screentime than the other alien ambassadors (combined), fixated on the lack of dental prosthetics for alien races, wanting non-standard human hands for alien, predicting and speculating on Ivanova being a traitor, latched onto the historical names JMS used for his characters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You'd think they would've been happy enough that virtually all B5 aliens are more complex than TNG-style rubber foreheads, but noooooooooooo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grognards. Grognards never change.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

You'd think they would've been happy enough that virtually all B5 aliens are more complex than TNG-style rubber foreheads, but noooooooooooo

I was. I was always impressed that they considered that there were aliens out there that didn't breathe oxygen, and had aliens that required space encounter suits to interact in the oxygen rich environment of Babylon 5, that's something you never saw in Sci Fi back then, and sadly,y you really don't see it today either.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I was. I was always impressed that they considered that there were aliens out there that didn't breathe oxygen, and had aliens that required space encounter suits to interact in the oxygen rich environment of Babylon 5, that's something you never saw in Sci Fi back then, and sadly,y you really don't see it today either.

Hard to make an encounter suit that doesn't interfere with showing expressions. I doubt it's a coincidence that B5 only used it for the mysterious aliens with unknowable thoughts, and for the black market insect that's basically a just vending machine for illegal stuff.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Qwertycoatl posted:

Hard to make an encounter suit that doesn't interfere with showing expressions. I doubt it's a coincidence that B5 only used it for the mysterious aliens with unknowable thoughts, and for the black market insect that's basically a just vending machine for illegal stuff.

You know, I wonder how much of the inspiration to make N'Grath an insectoid came from the idea that he was the black market guy. Then you don't have to worry about giving him motivations and body language or facial expressions, he's a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

You know, I wonder how much of the inspiration to make N'Grath an insectoid came from the idea that he was the black market guy. Then you don't have to worry about giving him motivations and body language or facial expressions, he's a bug.

I'm fairly sure that it was cheaply available from a costumier. It was reused five years later in Buffy.