Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any tips on dealing with the poison satyrs and rats in the final area? They make me want to tear my loving hair out. For as good as this game is overall it's plagued by some astonishingly irritating design decisions and enemy encounters that definitely get overshadowed by how good the presentation is. Just had a 10 win streak ruined, wiped out all my death defiances, all because these stupid loving poison dudes. So incredibly unfun to fight. :mad:

Don't be afraid to hit pause and figure out where the healing pool is on any given room in Styx. Poseidon abilities do generally wreck that zone as well (dash and cast, and all the supporting boons on knockback and such)

Patroclus' keepsake is good in Styx - poison will immediately trigger the shield before it even hits you once, giving you a second and a half to dash to the fountain. It's pretty good for the boss fight imo, if you get tagged by one hit of a combo you won't get hit by the next, and the lasers won't tick rapidly on you. Acorn or Lucky Tooth might be obvious picks, but I really think the Broken Spearpoint has better value overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I generally hate specific enemies moreso than specific regions, though Elysium does seem to have the gamut of enemies that seem particularly bullshit. Every time I see the shield soldiers pop up I just let out an involuntary sigh.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any tips on dealing with the poison satyrs and rats in the final area? They make me want to tear my loving hair out. For as good as this game is overall it's plagued by some astonishingly irritating design decisions and enemy encounters that definitely get overshadowed by how good the presentation is. Just had a 10 win streak ruined, wiped out all my death defiances, all because these stupid loving poison dudes. So incredibly unfun to fight. :mad:

They always take exactly the same amount of time to charge up and fire their shot. Next time you find yourself in a room with just one of the satyrs, practice listening to the sound cue and dodging right as they fire. Once you get used to the timing, you can start dodging their shots while you deal with the more pressing enemies.

As soon as you enter a room, take note of where the poison cure pools are. Always keep in mind where the nearest one is, and as soon as you get poisoned, beeline over to it.

The satyr’s charge-up can be interrupted by any knockback. The general strategy for dealing with them is to fire on them until they’re about to shoot, dodge the shot, go back to firing, repeat until they run out of armor, then just attack them until they die. Once their armor is gone it’s trivial to keep them from getting a shot out. Unless of course you’re using the rail, in which case you have to keep dancing around them.

Satyr shots can’t go through obstacles like pillars, corners, and so on, so if you keep a satyr on the other side of one of those you don’t have to worry about it and can deal with whatever else is in the room.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I'm not a fan of Styx. I hate that I finally achieve my most powerful state and I only get to use it on a few small rooms that are cleared in literal seconds and one boss.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Dunno I just brute force it with god mode. So I guess that's my suggestion

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

BrianWilly posted:

I generally hate specific enemies moreso than specific regions, though Elysium does seem to have the gamut of enemies that seem particularly bullshit. Every time I see the shield soldiers pop up I just let out an involuntary sigh.

The universal truth of every video game ever made is that shield enemies are bullshit.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

The universal truth of every video game ever made is that shield enemies are bullshit.

Forced overtime 2 Elysium archers are the worst mob in the game.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Ugh, just completely botched a run because I kept burning my rolling stones to try and get athena dash, completely forgetting that I had taken the Artemis dash-strike (I was doing the other dash mirror upgrade for damage + dodge). Wasted so much time and boon choices lol.

My least favorite area is asphodel by far. I hate having to dodge the lava, the lava shots and chase down all the enemies that jump around or the Gorgon heads and witches flying over the lava at the edge of the room.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got my second clear, with Nemesis sword, Artemis/Dionysus duo, Dionysus attacks, and dad hammer and Chaos giving 300% backstab damage between them for a build that visually was just whacking away with the sword but had some impolite DPS.

I want to know about boon math now. Do all % damage boons simply plop into the same multiplier? For example, when Aphrodite gives me 40% attack damage and Chaos gives me 110% backstab attack damage, do they lump together for 150%?

Edit oh yeah and I've been hoarding coins every run for the diamond or blood at the end so when my other dad hammer was 5% of coins add to damage :getin:

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 30, 2021

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

JamMasterJim posted:

Forced overtime 2 Elysium archers are the worst mob in the game.
Yeah, it doesn't seem like Elysium archers would be a huge deal compared to all the other bullshit going 40% faster, but they just turn into murder machines.

SuperKlaus posted:

I want to know about boon math now. Do all % damage boons simply plop into the same multiplier? For example, when Aphrodite gives me 40% attack damage and Chaos gives me 110% backstab attack damage, do they lump together for 150%?
I believe all +% damage modifiers are additive except crit. This includes Urge to Kill, which is why Urge to Kill is kinda poop.

Crit modifiers are a separate multiplier, so if you get a big chunky Chaos bonus to an ability, the corresponding Artemis boon is significantly more valuable.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Got my first 32 heat! Went for the trusty combination of Zag fists and Lambent Plume, and ultimately the run went rather well except the final fight (I went in with almost full health and 3DD, ended with some 20 health and no DD), I really need to get better at that fight.

Still, got all the statues, 49/49 achievements, so I guess now it's time to grind up the darkness and do 32 heat runs with the other weapons/aspects :v:

Also the game is great and Cerberus is the best boy. :3:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's kind of too bad if say Distant Memory for +damage against far foes is lumped in and diluted with my backstab damage and Athena special bonus or whatever.

I saw like three new duos last run, but only got fun olympian banter for the first one. Will I get the fun banter next time the opportunity arises?

Also wow titan blood from fish!

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I was having a bastard of a time clearing the game with the shield to get that sweet, sweet bounty of titan bloods, but Aspect of Chaos absolutely wrecked poo poo. I'm old and bad at games, so even the bare minimum is an accomplishment, but that might be the only time I've beat the game yet without using a death defiance.

This game is extremely fun and I'm sad I'm almost done with the epilogue. For once, I want DLC.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This build was going great until Hades went "u fool this isn't even my final form" and I didn't realize you aren't supposed to punch the green urns.

Just an absolutely stupid amount of DPS and debuff that got me out of Elysium for the first time.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

This build was going great until Hades went "u fool this isn't even my final form" and I didn't realize you aren't supposed to punch the green urns.

Just an absolutely stupid amount of DPS and debuff that got me out of Elysium for the first time.

You're only kinda not supposed to break them. You should probably get rid of them from a safe distance if possible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I was having a bastard of a time clearing the game with the shield to get that sweet, sweet bounty of titan bloods, but Aspect of Chaos absolutely wrecked poo poo. I'm old and bad at games, so even the bare minimum is an accomplishment, but that might be the only time I've beat the game yet without using a death defiance.

This game is extremely fun and I'm sad I'm almost done with the epilogue. For once, I want DLC.

Hell yeah bud, Chaos Shield rules. I haven't even bothered with the other Shield Aspects, that one might be my favorite weapon in the whole game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SuperKlaus posted:

That's kind of too bad if say Distant Memory for +damage against far foes is lumped in and diluted with my backstab damage and Athena special bonus or whatever.

I saw like three new duos last run, but only got fun olympian banter for the first one. Will I get the fun banter next time the opportunity arises?

Also wow titan blood from fish!

You get banter the first time you see a duo, ever. I think maybe buying it in a shop might bypass it? But Aphrodite isn't going to keep telling Athena she needs a glow up.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

C-Euro posted:

Hell yeah bud, Chaos Shield rules. I haven't even bothered with the other Shield Aspects, that one might be my favorite weapon in the whole game.

Beowulf is pretty fun too. The charge is super wide and bonking someone with your beefy shield is really satisfying.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Glazius posted:

You get banter the first time you see a duo, ever. I think maybe buying it in a shop might bypass it? But Aphrodite isn't going to keep telling Athena she needs a glow up.
I absolutely got duo banter at a shop.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mendrian posted:

You're only kinda not supposed to break them. You should probably get rid of them from a safe distance if possible.
"Safe distance" was not on the menu for that build :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Slowpoke! posted:

Beowulf is pretty fun too. The charge is super wide and bonking someone with your beefy shield is really satisfying.

I haven't unlocked Beowulf yet :negative: I did get Chaos commenting on my Shield last run though, so hopefully I'll unlock it soon. I need that and the Hidden Rail and I'll have all weapons unlocked.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am pleased to report that I encountered one of the duos for which I did not receive dialogue the first time, and received the dialogue. It appears there is some sort of one duo banter per run limit, but it won't tag a banter as heard until you actually hear it, so all the fun dialogue is waiting for me.

I'm also on a seven game win streak :cool:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

"Safe distance" was not on the menu for that build :v:
This one, on the other hand:

The regen synergized very well with a build based on chilling things and running away, but nailing the Epic Demeter DoT boon in Styx really sealed it.

Is run 18 good for a first clear? I think FTL took me more tries on Normal but it's far stingier with carried progress.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 1, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Run 19 is pretty speedy, although over an hour is not :v:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Run 19 is pretty speedy, although over an hour is not :v:
Haha yeah that was a lot of kiting.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't start winning until like number 28 so good on you. Try and do the same Demeter special + Chiron bow again, but fish for the thing that makes ten stacks of chill explode to really ice the cake. That's how I won my fourth time.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I wonder if they have any plans for DLC?

There are a couple of major Olympian gods who aren't in the game outside of short mentions, like Hephaestus, Hera, and Apollo. Apollo is especially an odd exception since he's Artemis's twin brother.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I was thinking they should cover the biggest clusterfuck of divine infighting: Eris and the golden apple. But that one definitely occurred before Achilles died, since he participated in the resulting war. It could be a prequel, I guess.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

A new DLC area like would be cool... The Mourning Fields?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has Supergiant put out DLC for their games before? I don't remember hearing about any, and as much as I'd enjoy more content for this game what we have right now is so well-tuned that I'd worry about adding something that would upset that tuning.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Honestly, my biggest disappointment is that after you complete the main story you stop being able to visit the cottage. I really wanted a stardew valley esque minigame where you care for the plants while you wait out your death or something. Maybe bring back some nice flowers for the others. Give me that dlc

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think an infinite mode would be cool. I always want to keep playing when I get an absurd build that easily kills the final boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
An infinite loop option where you just keep getting more and more darkness (or gemstones I guess) and the game just randomly imposes more Pact conditions on you for those last few rewards would be pretty neat.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
In real Greek culture did Ares's domain include strategy and tactics in war? I feel like he should have more boons like "take less damage from the front," "deal more from behind," "stack Doom on enemies not near other enemies," and the like to represent maneuvering and morale.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SuperKlaus posted:

In real Greek culture did Ares's domain include strategy and tactics in war? I feel like he should have more boons like "take less damage from the front," "deal more from behind," "stack Doom on enemies not near other enemies," and the like to represent maneuvering and morale.

Not sure about actual Greek myth, but I always enjoyed Marvel's take on Ares and how he's depicted as a God of War:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly I'm semi-tempted to start a fresh file just so I can hear all the dialogue again.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Not even a little bit. That was Athena's bag.

Thanks Wikipedia! posted:

In Greek literature, he often represents the physical or violent and untamed aspect of war and is the personification of sheer brutality and bloodlust, in contrast to his sister, the armored Athena, whose functions as a goddess of intelligence include military strategy and generalship.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Man, Guan Yu can guet hosed. I don't know who thought a good trade off for massively reduced health was slightly better DPS but I think this is one prophecy I'm not gonna bother with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Just go all in on the Special tbh, yeah Guan Yu is the only bad weapon in the game but you can just do coward strats since you’re not obligated to beat Hades once you hit the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Has Supergiant put out DLC for their games before? I don't remember hearing about any, and as much as I'd enjoy more content for this game what we have right now is so well-tuned that I'd worry about adding something that would upset that tuning.

They did a single $2 pack for Bastion that was another one of those “dream” combat arenas, focused around Rucks’ background.

Other than that they’ve said DLC isn’t really their bag. I think Kasavin said in a Reddit AMA that they didn’t design Hades with expansions in mind, and making one would require rethinking the game on both a design and engineering level - but the massive success of the game is making the team think, never say never.