Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Professor Spatula posted:

Thinkin' bout RoW and is that '16' dude in Lasting Integrity going to end up being Szeth's father? He's described as Shin, right?

My buddy just read that chapter the other day and he texted me asking if it was Kelsier; then he got to the paragraph where he was in fact described as Shin, yea :v: Your guess seems as good as any, but I have no idea who it might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Professor Spatula posted:

Thinkin' bout RoW and is that '16' dude in Lasting Integrity going to end up being Szeth's father? He's described as Shin, right?

I forget the exact description -- was that guy actually Shin or was it just "Alethi character sees an offworlder and assumes they're Shin"?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

eke out posted:

I forget the exact description -- was that guy actually Shin or was it just "Alethi character sees an offworlder and assumes they're Shin"?

Chapter 75 posted:

She got right up behind Sixteen as he hunched over, fiddling with some notes. She grabbed him by the shoulder, then spun him around. His hood fell, revealing his face.

He was Shin; there was no mistaking that pale, almost sickly skin and those childlike eyes. ... This man was short, yes, but completely bald, and was not Alethi. ... He shouted and said something to her in a language she didn't recognize.

The "sickly skin" makes me think it might not actually be Shin. And I would think Shallan would be able to at least identify what, uh, Shinese would sound like so this is probably a worldhopper? Like you can recognize a language even if you can't speak it, y'know? Maybe someone from Elantris? Coppermind describes Sixteen as "Shin" in quotes but little else.

Edit - It's been too long since I read Elantris so I checked Coppermind's description of them:

Their silvery skin turns grey and is covered in dark splotches and their white hair falls out, along with other less readily apparent changes, such as their hearts ceasing to beat, breathing and eating are no longer needed, bleeding no longer happens, and their wounds refusing to heal.[17] Some functions of the body like muscles and blood flow continue,[18] and sleep and brain functions continues to work very similarly to the way it did before.[19] Although unable to heal, a Reod Elantrian can only be killed by decapitation or burning, while hunger will fail to kill them since the Dor will keep their bodies functioning. Other attempts to kill them will build up pain that never decreases, and can finally result in making them a Hoed, leaving them filled with pain and unable to do anything other than moaning.

Seems like a viable candidate as he was also mentioned having never been seen bringing food back to his pad or removing waste. He just hermits in his little shack to prevent ever getting hurt, doesn't eat and therefore doesn't poop :v:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 1, 2021

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

What should I read now that I've drained the Sanderson well (of ascension)? My kobo clara recommended the Kingkiller Chronicles but I've heard that series/author are pretty suspect. Before I started Way of Kings, I read all the Joe Abercrombie books, Malazan series, and Discworld, so I guess I enjoy large scale worldbuilding stuff. Wheel of Time?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tokelau All Star posted:

What should I read now that I've drained the Sanderson well (of ascension)? My kobo clara recommended the Kingkiller Chronicles but I've heard that series/author are pretty suspect. Before I started Way of Kings, I read all the Joe Abercrombie books, Malazan series, and Discworld, so I guess I enjoy large scale worldbuilding stuff. Wheel of Time?

I really enjoyed Kingkiller #1, and #2 was also pretty good but there was an extremely long section that I strongly disliked. Also the third book is going to come out the same time as GRRM releases Winds of Winter, which is it say it's never going to happen. So... bearing that in mind I find it hard to recommend to anyone.

There's quite a few WoT fans ITT but a lot of it just didn't jive with me. Probably worth reading the first book and if you like it a lot you'll probably enjoy the whole series. If you're not sold on it but think it shows promise then decide from there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tokelau All Star posted:

Kingkiller is probably the most disappointing series I hear people recommend often, so definitely avoid it unless you adore Mary Sue Best At Everything characters as the lead. edit: More like Bad669. The books are bad, op.

The Cradle series is Sanderson-esque in that they're both animes put to text for a western audience. If you just want a good book The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was good, though less fantasy-based. Scott Lynch's the Lie of Loch Lamora were decent, The Fifth Season by Jemisin if you haven't read it is REALLY good. Ken Liu's The Grace of Kings was really good. Katherin Addison's The Goblin Emperor was great if you wanted a bit more plotty/courty stuff. If you wanted a series, His Majesty's Dragons by Naomi Novick is a pretty good and the theme is 'old wooden ships books, except they're dragons'.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I honestly don't even get the Mary Sue complaint and I've heard it from multiple people. The protagonist's competence at things is the source of like half of his loving problems lol. He's not just like, "Oh no, a problem! Good thing I'm a loving pro at X! <problem solved>"

I just like "It's a book about a story, and also within that story are some characters who also tell more stories" approach he takes to world building.

e; ^ Lies of Loch Lamora / Gentleman Bastards definitely owned. I should re-read those.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 1, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I honestly don't even get the Mary Sue complaint and I've heard it from multiple people. The protagonist's competence at things is the source of like half of his loving problems lol. He's not just like, "Oh no, a problem! Good thing I'm a loving pro at X! <problem solved>"

I just like "It's a book about a story, and also within that story are some characters who also tell more stories" approach he takes to world building.

e; ^ Lies of Loch Lamora / Gentleman Bastards definitely owned. I should re-read those.

The guy was a world class acrobat at age 8 who was SO SPECIAL AND GOOD AT MAGIC that he nearly killed himself the first time he tried it, and everyone is super impressed with him at all times, and one time he was in his bar and like everyone thought he was a regular guy, and this megademon dude who everyone was scared of was lipping off and then he totally grabbed the bar hard enough to leave indents in the wood and even the megademon dude was really scared and nobody messed with him! Also one time when he was a virgin, he met some special sex fairies and he was SO SPECIAL AND SO GOOD AT SEX that they were like 'wow you're the best at sex in the world here's some special blessings and also we think you're super dreamy'. Also, one time...

That's the whole series.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 1, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I definitely loathed the part of Book #2 where it was nothing but him going on about how good he was at doing the sex. Rothfuss definitely wrote that third of the book one handed without a doubt :(

But I mean like, if you grow up in a family of travelling performers... Yes you're going to actually be good at it from a very young age. Have you seen how good any 10 year old child prodigy athlete who started doing X since they were 3 years old is?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I adore Naomi Novik's book Uprooted. It does have the opposite kind of magic system to the Cosmere but I found that when the main character did that sort of soft magic the author did really fun stuff with her prose that made it really pop.

Same author, newer book, A Deadly Education is extremely hilarious and very good. It's book one of a trilogy. More hard magic, play with the "magic school" trope in a good way.

Along the same lines, Lev Grossman's The Magicians is like if you mixed Harry Potter with Kaladin level depression and twirled in a weirdly mirror universe version of Chronicles of Narnia. I liked them a lot, and the series is complete and imo ends well.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tokelau All Star posted:

Read Gideon the Ninth

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I'll third the Novik appreciation and say that Spinning Silver is good too. I heartily recommend N. K. Jemisin's books as well.

Good news about the Goblin Emperor is that a sequel is coming out soon.

I'd like to recommend the Wayward Children series of novellas by Seanan McGuire. They're about what happens when the children who go to fairylands, like Oz or Wonderland, come back to Earth and also their adventures in said fairy lands.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tokelau All Star posted:

You can read kingkiller, it's ok, it's just that the public adoration it gets is almost delusional, they're flawed books and the author is a hack. That's why there's a stream of goons making GBS threads on it.

The powder mage books are good, written by a protege of Sanderson.

I enjoyed the Greatcoats series quite a bit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So do different magic systems work on different planets? Humans used surgebinding on their old world as well as Roshar, right?

I'm just reading Mistborn Secret History and Wit took that metal that makes you a mistborn and wondering if he can just pop that into anyone's mouth in the Cosmere and they become a mistborn?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 1, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Stay away from Kingkiller, the series is overhyped garbage and Rothfuss is extremely up his own rear end while having less desire to write than GRRM. What little potential the first book has is undone (and more) by the 2nd book. That's without getting into the fact he's creepy as gently caress or runs a dubious charity.

Read the Powder Mage books if you haven't yet.

Sab669 posted:

That is exactly what he is like. That he doesn't always claim it directly doesn't change that he acts it non-stop.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Is Brent Weeks lightbringer series any good? I rented it from the library last summer after a Sanderson blog post recommending it but bounced off after a few chapters. Does it git gud?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lightweaver gets too bloated and implodes in upon itself rather than wrapping things up neatly

EDIT: whoops, that was a typo for lightbringer but I stand by it anyway :colbert:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 1, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Captain Monkey posted:

The Cradle series is Sanderson-esque in that they're both animes put to text for a western audience.
Cradle is Sanderson except with less deep/technical world building and magic systems, but way more fighting and much better dialogue.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So do different magic systems work on different planets? Humans used surgebinding on their old world as well as Roshar, right?

I'm just reading Mistborn Secret History and Wit took that metal that makes you a mistborn and wondering if he can just pop that into anyone's mouth in the Cosmere and they become a mistborn?

yes but ALSO rosharians would call allomancy surgebinding and not really be wrong because it's an umbrella term. presumably the way humans surgebound before coming to Roshar was different from how they do now because Honor and cultivation weren't there

Larasium will have the same impact on anyone who eats it, because it's literally part of preservation. it also might not exist anymore because Laras doesn't exist anymore! sazeium might do something completely different

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tokelau All Star posted:

I quite liked Melissa McPhail's Pattern of Shadows and Light series, though it's not finished yet. I also enjoyed the Lightbringer series, but the later books are definitely weaker than the earlier ones. It does have an acceptable ending imho.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Taffer posted:

I'm far from being done with the cosmere but I'm with that poster on Shallan. Her arc this book was extremely tedious and uninteresting. I have no idea how true to life the depiction of multiple personalities was, but I suspect it's something almost no readers can truly connect with due to how extreme it was. Her separate identities were all immensely boring, and their internal conflicts were tedious and never really drove the plot anywhere. She spent essentially the entire book in stagnation - she never made any important decisions, she made no progress as a character, and every time we read about her all she's doing is brooding and being an rear end in a top hat to Adolin and Pattern, probably the two most genuine and nice characters in the whole cosmere.

Which is the other problem. Their relationship is really really bad. It's probably the worst written relationship I've ever read in any book. The characters do not mesh at all, and any connection they have is always through extremely awkward banter, even after 4 books. And being as how Adolin is Mr Perfect there is no room for interesting conflict - he is never going to leave her because he's way too caring and nice, and so she just continually abuses and mistreats him and lies to him without consequence. This book would have ended WAY better if he had left her after she lied to him and planned a murder, like wtf. Them just being all chill and five at the end after that was super weird.

And getting to the murder... The "twist" that she was the imposter was the least surprising thing in the universe. Like was there a single person who didn't see that coming a mile away? The plot device of her having suppressed personalities due to suppressed memories has been done already - like we get how it works and how it's going to end, it is not interesting or surprising anymore. The final twist of Pattern not being her first spren was more interesting, but it was also telegraphed pretty hard near the end, and at that point you're so disconnected from her story due to not caring what the hell happens to her that it's not very impactful.

Honestly she's always been the weakest point of the series, but she did have a really genuine and interesting arc in book 2, but sadly ever since then it's just been a nosedive, ending in a total splat in this book. It would have been better if she died.

I agree with you on Shallan. I'd also like to add that her chapters barely worked for me when reading through the series for the first time when there was a "mystery" to be "solved" in them. And now on re-reads with the mystery already solved she's pure tedium to read. It really exposes how poorly done she is.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Just read WOT. It's a completed series and almost everyone was satisfied with it's conclusion. Sure it has some faults, but what massive fantasy series doesn't? Also, you're running out of time to read WOT before the show starts.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The answer is: it depends. The magic of Sel (Elantris, The Emperor's Soul) doesn't work off-world without various "hacks" (and gets weaker outside of the homeland of the user) because it is strongly tied to a Connection to the land, or something. Awakening appears to work outside of Nalthis, just like Allomancy works outside of Scadriel (or at least it's implied that Wit can use allomancy on Roshar). And yes, that metal Wit takes (Lerasium) appears to work exactly the way you think it does, if I remember word of brandon about it. And I think Hemalurgy might be able to be used by anyone, anywhere, regardless of where they were born, just so long as they understand what it is and have the proper Intent--you don't need to have been born on Scadriel, or possess the right lineage. The Shades of Threnody have been weaponized off-world. But there's something keeping the Surgebinders (and Voidbinders?) from leaving the Rosharran system for the moment (either they need a magic hack of their own, or they need to sort out the Connection-related consequences of trapping Ba-Ado-Mishram. However we know from the reading Brandon did from the Sixth of Dusk sequel that at least some of the radiants will be able to leave their system in the future

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 1, 2021

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

The guy was a world class acrobat at age 8 who was SO SPECIAL AND GOOD AT MAGIC that he nearly killed himself the first time he tried it, and everyone is super impressed with him at all times, and one time he was in his bar and like everyone thought he was a regular guy, and this megademon dude who everyone was scared of was lipping off and then he totally grabbed the bar hard enough to leave indents in the wood and even the megademon dude was really scared and nobody messed with him! Also one time when he was a virgin, he met some special sex fairies and he was SO SPECIAL AND SO GOOD AT SEX that they were like 'wow you're the best at sex in the world here's some special blessings and also we think you're super dreamy'. Also, one time...

That's the whole series.

sounds like jack reacher but for nerds and theres not 30 books

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

egg tats posted:

yes but ALSO rosharians would call allomancy surgebinding and not really be wrong because it's an umbrella term. presumably the way humans surgebound before coming to Roshar was different from how they do now because Honor and cultivation weren't there

Larasium will have the same impact on anyone who eats it, because it's literally part of preservation. it also might not exist anymore because Laras doesn't exist anymore! sazeium might do something completely different

Sazedium has already been seen in Bands of Mourning as the "ettmetal" the Southern Scadrians use. I'm too lazy to dig it up right now, but I believe Brandon has said that Harmony could create more lerasium and atium if he wanted to, but that ettmetal is its own unique thing, rather than a compound of the two.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Reaverbot posted:

I am getting towards the latter parts of The Hero of Ages and while I'm getting increasingly worried about the ability to satisfyingly wrap up a story like this in the amount of pages remaining, I am enjoying it a whole lot more than the second Mistborn book. Some things are not resonating with me, especially the habit of multiple characters going back and trying to act like the Lord Ruler was ultimately not evil or was ultimately well-meaning despite everything the character has ever displayed or had spoken about him but other subplots I didn't believe I cared all that much about are being resolved in interesting and satisfying ways so I have some hope it'll course correct on that before the end.

This is spoiler free. I don’t like Mistborn series 1 all that much. I really don’t like the middle book. But the ending is good and satisfying. And sets up Mistborn Series 2 which I do really like.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Read Gideon the Ninth

Yes. And also The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Slanderer posted:

But there's something keeping the Surgebinders (and Voidbinders?) from leaving the Rosharran system for the moment (either they need a magic hack of their own, or they need to sort out the Connection-related consequences of trapping Ba-Ado-Mishram. However we know from the reading Brandon did from the Sixth of Dusk sequel that at least some of the radiants will be able to leave their system in the future

The surgebinders can easily leave the system, the people who can't leave are people who are heavily invested enough to be Splinters or whatever they were called. They're connected to the system as basically living Investiture, and in RoW a big subplot is trying to be able to move Stormlight off Roshar. The proper metals from anywhere will work for allomancy and feruchemy, but Stormlight is infinitely renewable and super easy to get and impossible to get off Roshar.

The reason stuff like Awakening works on Roshar is that Zahel and Azure figured out how to use Stormlight to power it, same way Nightblood can feed off of it. There was a WoB about how Zahel doesn't need to burn a breath to stay Returned because he figured out how to convert Stormlight. If a surgebinder could figure out how to tap into metals or Breaths, they could go to those planets and use all their powers same as they would on Roshar. I think that's why they want to be able to transport Stormlight off world, it's easy to move and infinitely renewable/easy to get and can get transferred to other magic systems easily. Allomancy is probably the hardest to transfer the Investiture as you have to actually eat the metals. Might be a good question to ask next time someone gets a chance, are some systems easier to transfer Investiture from than others?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Read Gideon the Ninth

I got about 60 pages in and just couldn’t get into it. I really wanted to because I’ve heard a lot of folks say it is great.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Tokelau All Star posted:

The Bobiverse series or exforce are both pretty good. Exforce isn’t done yet and the bobiverse trilogy is a good solid story.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Bobiverse books are great (there are 4 now) but they are nothing at all like any of Sanderson's work. They're a first-person sci-fi action/adventure story. Tons of fun but they aren't deep and have a lot of nerd fan service - definitely read it but don't go in with warped expectations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

seaborgium posted:

The surgebinders can easily leave the system, the people who can't leave are people who are heavily invested enough to be Splinters or whatever they were called. They're connected to the system as basically living Investiture, and in RoW a big subplot is trying to be able to move Stormlight off Roshar. The proper metals from anywhere will work for allomancy and feruchemy, but Stormlight is infinitely renewable and super easy to get and impossible to get off Roshar.

There are a few WoBs about this, and I think the topic more recently came up in Rhythm of War. The spren of Roshar are Connected to it, and cannot leave the system without {other stuff} happening first to sever that Connection. I don't think Surgebinders could leave the system without their Spren with that connection intact, unless their bond was broken (making them no longer surgebinders). Similarly, the Fused are trapped because they are also Connected to Roshar, being sorta-Spren themselves. We know that this is something that will happen in the future, but at present I don't think it's possible (which is why a certain character from RoW was trying to figure out how to escape the system, despite being sorta-Spren himself)

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 1, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Another good book series, if you like crunchy mechanics for magic systems, is the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka

In a world where regular mages can blow you up with a thought, Alex can... see a few seconds to minutes into the future. You wouldn't think that's much of an advantage, but he's learned to squire that little bit for everything it's worth

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

The Bobiverse books are great (there are 4 now) but they are nothing at all like any of Sanderson's work. They're a first-person sci-fi action/adventure story. Tons of fun but they aren't deep and have a lot of nerd fan service - definitely read it but don't go in with warped expectations.

The fan service is a loving nightmare. I bought the audio book and wanted to throw away my phone. A character the talks like Homer Simpson? A character that acts like Garfield? loving kill me. I doubt I got 10% through it.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I like the Locke Lamora series a lot. Really well written and well crafted story and world.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So like a couple weeks ago I looked up a random list of the richest authors in the world. Naturally folks like Rowling nd King were at or near the top but Sanderson is quite successful himself, right?

Just thinking he has a all these plans and ideas, I hope he is making enough money and none of his ideas will ever be declined or not given a go ahead.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Cradle is Sanderson except with less deep/technical world building and magic systems, but way more fighting and much better dialogue.

Read Cradle, book 9 is coming out in 4 days :woop:

External Organs posted:

Is Brent Weeks lightbringer series any good? I rented it from the library last summer after a Sanderson blog post recommending it but bounced off after a few chapters. Does it git gud?

Tunicate posted:

lightweaver gets too bloated and implodes in upon itself rather than wrapping things up neatly

EDIT: whoops, that was a typo for lightbringer but I stand by it anyway :colbert:

The Black Prism was tightly written enough that I overlooked all of the women written as boobing boobily everywhere and had a interesting premise and magic system. The Blinding Knife got more bloated and the female characters didn't get any better but was still intriguing enough that I went on to The Broken Eye, from which point the quality just kept dropping. The Blood Mirror had a massive sex plot focused on a rare medical condition that he got so much backlash for during his beta reads or whatever that he included a freaking PSA about it in the published book and then by the time I got to The Burning White I eyerolled hard and got real pissed at the ending because it undid everything good about the earlier books.

And Weeks is terrible at writing women. TERRIBLE.

NikkolasKing posted:

Just thinking he has a all these plans and ideas, I hope he is making enough money and none of his ideas will ever be declined or not given a go ahead.

In his newsletter he talked about building a huge underground secret lair for gaming, etc in his house, so he is doing just fine, don't you worry:

https://mailchi.mp/brandonsanderson/legion-the-many-lives-of-stephen-leeds-is-out-today?e=ce39f19095

But also he does other cool things like write things he wants to do for free (see his novella contribution to Magic the Gathering) and get people to donate money to charity instead of paying him.

Leng fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 2, 2021

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
He can afford to have a team to help him with all of the extra stuff that has to get done. I would imagine he's getting enough to have a pretty great life and also look after the people who work closely with him. He's no Rowling or King in terms of scale, but he's doing well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stramit posted:

He can afford to have a team to help him with all of the extra stuff that has to get done. I would imagine he's getting enough to have a pretty great life and also look after the people who work closely with him. He's no Rowling or King in terms of scale, but he's doing well.

At least from what I can tell his panels have the longest lines I've ever seen at Dragon Con so he has plenty of popularity. The only line I've personally seen that gets longer was David Tenant.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So like a couple weeks ago I looked up a random list of the richest authors in the world. Naturally folks like Rowling nd King were at or near the top but Sanderson is quite successful himself, right?

I'm sure he's at least successful enough that his publisher will basically let him do whatever he wants at this point.

He had 30,000 people pay nearly $7,000,000 for just a fancy version of a book they presumably already owned (and said fancy version is beautiful, by the way :v:). In fact, it's one of Kickstarter's most funded projects. So yea, he isn't on Rowling's level but he's definitely one of the bigger fish in the genre fiction pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure he's at least successful enough that his publisher will basically let him do whatever he wants at this point.

He had 30,000 people pay nearly $7,000,000 for just a fancy version of a book they presumably already owned (and said fancy version is beautiful, by the way :v:). In fact, it's one of Kickstarter's most funded projects. So yea, he isn't on Rowling's level but he's definitely one of the bigger fish in the genre fiction pool.

Yeah the kickstarter proves Sanderson can basically print money if he so desires. He has a lot of very devoted fans with a lot of disposable income.