Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I believe that there is also absolutely no limit whatsoever to passworded matching - if you and a buddy share a password, you can co-op, no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's correct.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Simply Simon posted:

Check your key items
oh, well that answers one question and raises like three others lol

:darksouls:

codo27 posted:

Reminding me of my old character Mr. Skeltal

I love this :skeltal:

Saul Kain posted:

That lady sells the dark hand btw.
Yeah, I picked it up but haven't quite figured it out yet. It seems unimpressive in my right hand, but interesting in my left. Caestus in the right means I can dual-wield, then switch to dark hand to switch things up or pop a surprise strong left punch. I haven't used it much yet, I think I just need to get used to it.

Logan 5 posted:

Oh yeah, they were probably making a twink and wanted a meat puppet to draw aggro. Either that or just the hilarity of summoning low level people that don't know about that boss.
lmao that makes sense. And thanks for the matchmaking info!

I went back and explored through the earlier areas for things I'd forgotten or missed, and I just wanna say Greirat is cool as hell

also, jesus loving christ Siegward, you clown

e: almost forgot I took this lol

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 28, 2021

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SpaceDrake posted:

I believe that there is also absolutely no limit whatsoever to passworded matching - if you and a buddy share a password, you can co-op, no matter what.

Oh yes, how could I forget overleveled password summons. Their HP and damage is scaled/nerfed, theoretically, but they retain all the stats, can wield everything they could before, and there is no nerf to FP or stamina. Nothing more fun than a Havel monster at SL40 that can wield a Ledo's and spam both CMVs and CSS.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah, I picked it up but haven't quite figured it out yet. It seems unimpressive in my right hand, but interesting in my left. Caestus in the right means I can dual-wield, then switch to dark hand to switch things up or pop a surprise strong left punch. I haven't used it much yet, I think I just need to get used to it.

Dark Hand is actually massive weapon early game, since it can't be upgraded it just has a huge amount of flat dark damage, and it requires no stats to use and weighs nothing. Once you get past mid-level, like SL40-50 +5/6, it can quickly fall off compared to other upgraded & infused weapons though, depending on your stat allocation/build.

Actually always have it in your right hand if you are using it, you just have to get real close up on most enemies to punch them aggressively, but for the most part you can stunlock them to death real quick. Don't bother with the Dark Hand in the left hand - the shield is basically useless, and L2 suck ability is fun but only really works on specific human-types and NPCs.

FYI: You can 2-hand the weapon equipped in your left hand, just hold down Y/triangle/KB-equivalent-button for like 2 seconds instead of hitting it once. So you could easily do Dark Hand in your right, Caestus in your left without giving up the ability to 2-hand the Caestus at any time and use that sweet, sweet Perseverance.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

whenever I see this message I remember this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8gO-jesXUw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Logan 5 posted:

Dark Hand tips
Thanks! I played around with your suggestions and have successfully worked Dark Hand into my repertoire. I also now have the demon bone fist, which owns. It's pretty nice to have a bunch of punching options to switch between, still working on mastering them all. Perseverence works wonders in PVP though; I've been having a blast pounding invaders to dust in Farron area as a bluecop.

Moola posted:

whenever I see this message I remember this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8gO-jesXUw
lmfao

oh man so someone in the stream chat the other day was giving me some tips and he was like "if you befriended the giant archer, he'll kill this crab for you if you stand by the white tree" and I stopped playing for a minute because I was like gently caress, gently caress, you can befriend him?? I started punching the poo poo out of his ankles the second I saw him :(

I also accidentally killed some dude who dropped Chameleon, who was apparently needed for the dark ending I was hoping for :argh: and I did it because of a soapstone message that said "attack here" :saddumb:

e:
heh

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oh man so someone in the stream chat the other day was giving me some tips and he was like "if you befriended the giant archer, he'll kill this crab for you if you stand by the white tree" and I stopped playing for a minute because I was like gently caress, gently caress, you can befriend him?? I started punching the poo poo out of his ankles the second I saw him :(

The giant archer is great. He can see any area where there are white branches and will happily bombard enemies in them with arrows for you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Functionally that's just the area just beyond the dilapidated bridge and the balcony outside the Cathedral of the Deep, right? Or is there another one later in the game?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Functionally that's just the area just beyond the dilapidated bridge and the balcony outside the Cathedral of the Deep, right? Or is there another one later in the game?

There is another one in the Farron swamp

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Huh I never reached that bit. Can they be used to kill any particularly annoying enemies??

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Huh I never reached that bit. Can they be used to kill any particularly annoying enemies??

Giant crabs. IIRC you can kite a couple of the giant caster grues over there too

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I just wanted to say, this is the first DS I really give a chance to, it's a masterpiece.
I was trying to get what the whole soulsborne hype was, and I couldn't really get that from screenshots and reviews. Now I've been drawn in, drat, DS3 is one of the best games I ever played.

Let's greet the inhabitants of this beautiful snow-covered town...

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Char posted:

oh they're gonna gently caress you up don't think otherwise

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Char posted:

If you haven't given any tongues to Rosaria, or have no idea what's that about, go back to the bridge where you fought the rat monster but be embered this time.

Someone needs your help.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Char posted:

If you found the golden scroll in the swamp and are smart enough to cast Hidden Body, I suggest you try it here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I loving hate those weird rear end foetus crows

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I helped the lady at the bridge! And I killed someone who was disguised as a statue. I didn't want to, tho :(
A friend told me, "oh, nice, tell me what you think of the next boss you'll fight". What's going to happen there?

Oh, btw the dude I killed with the lady tried to ambush me later. I wonder how much of the game I didn't experience by playing un-embered most of the time.

edit: sorry, the Greatsword requires me to be dumb and strong, no spells for me.
I saw so many weapons that couldn't fit my build, I'm really tempted to play NG+ once I'm done with the first playthrough. I feel like I chose the vanillaest of the vanilla weapons, and I didn't trade a single boss soul because "what if I need it later???" or "what if this weapon sucks!!!". Perhaps I could've gone in less blindly, I discovered I could upgrade my Estus Flask only after the Deacons fight.

Char fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 1, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, I'm gonna need a bit of tech support here: my game's started crashing on deaths. Not on every death, but after two or three, it conks out. Sometimes it hits the loading screen to the bonfire and crashes there, sometimes it crashes before even hitting that. It's crashed on trying to warp between bonfires once, just now (Cathedral of the Deep to Abyss Watchers, if it matters).

This only seemed to kick in as a problem after killing the Abyss Watchers a couple days ago. Mostly been an issue at play in the Cathedral of the Deep, but I have dealt with it in the Catacombs of Carthus too.

I've updated drivers; no luck. I've tinkered with settings to no success so far, but it's possible I just haven't hit the right setting. When I tried to turn it to maximum all the character models started flickering weirdly and not animating right, though, so I haven't really had the chance to mess with the high end of the options to see if it fixes anything.

No issues whatsoever with any other games.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 1, 2021

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Char posted:

I discovered I could upgrade my Estus Flask only after the Deacons fight.

The flask has 2 types of upgrades. Use estus shards with the blacksmith for more uses. Burn undead bone shards at the shrine bonfire for more powerful estus. There is no reason not to do these things.

Boss soul weapons often aren't as good as just infusing a claymore, but they're usually more flashy and fun. If you're a stronk build the mace/hammer you get from the second boss isn't half bad.

Also now that you beat Crieghton in your world, head back to the bridge to claim your prize.

Also Also the boss is a jerk, but there can be up to 3 NPC phantoms available for summon to help you out. He's the first fight where you're clearly meant to summon help.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Boss soul weapons often aren't as good as just infusing a claymore, but they're usually more flashy and fun. If you're a stronk build the mace/hammer you get from the second boss isn't half bad.

Often is the key word here. Some boss weapons are amazingly good and last well into endgame content. Vordt's Great Hammer hits like a truck and is practically an I WIN button against NPC invaders/PvP thanks to the frostbite proc. The Hollowslayer Greatsword is also extremely good not just for the damage bonus vs hollows but it also has a guard break which is good for shield-toting enemies.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Often is the key word here. Some boss weapons are amazingly good and last well into endgame content. Vordt's Great Hammer hits like a truck and is practically an I WIN button against NPC invaders/PvP thanks to the frostbite proc. The Hollowslayer Greatsword is also extremely good not just for the damage bonus vs hollows but it also has a guard break which is good for shield-toting enemies.

I finally got to use the moonlight greatsword with my most recent build. Fun, Flashy, and the pretty much the only way a caster can engage in PvP. Still got retired once I got the onyx blade. But I did forget how much I loved the Hollow Slayer greatsword, but alot of that was residual love from DS2 where it was the Mirrah GS.

Also I forgot to mention in my previous post to the person going through the Snow City, there's alot of NPC quests that have key moments here. If you sent the thief to pillage here, he's going to need backup from another NPC before you beat the area boss. And if you go too far past the "distant manor" bonfire, then he's going to have a bad time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need a bit of tech support here: my game's started crashing on deaths. Not on every death, but after two or three, it conks out. Sometimes it hits the loading screen to the bonfire and crashes there, sometimes it crashes before even hitting that. It's crashed on trying to warp between bonfires once, just now (Cathedral of the Deep to Abyss Watchers, if it matters).

This only seemed to kick in as a problem after killing the Abyss Watchers a couple days ago. Mostly been an issue at play in the Cathedral of the Deep, but I have dealt with it in the Catacombs of Carthus too.

I've updated drivers; no luck. I've tinkered with settings to no success so far, but it's possible I just haven't hit the right setting. When I tried to turn it to maximum all the character models started flickering weirdly and not animating right, though, so I haven't really had the chance to mess with the high end of the options to see if it fixes anything.

No issues whatsoever with any other games.

Anyone have any ideas?

I could REALLY use some help here, because that save is now crashing on load. I literally cannot even start playing it.

I booted up an old save from my initial playthrough near launch and didn't have any problems, so the crash is caused by something about the save itself. If I had to guess, it might be related to the fact that I'm partway through going Hollow with Yoel's help--even though I'm currently wearing fully concealing armor, maybe it's trying to load some corrupt textures or something like that. Not like I can do a lot of experimenting with that, though.

I tried to verify the integrity of the game files, but it didn't pick anything up.

Anyone have any idea what I might be able to do here? I'd prefer not to have to restart the whole game, because frankly the first few areas were REALLY rough for me on a melee build.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I have no idea how to help, Cleretic, sorry! Hopefully someone else does, or at least knows where to point you for help with your issue. That sucks :(

Man I'm still salty about accidentally killing that dude in the church of yorshka because of that stupid "attack!" soapstone message. I figured I'd get over it because it's dark souls and it's my first time but man. That sucks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I could REALLY use some help here, because that save is now crashing on load. I literally cannot even start playing it.

I booted up an old save from my initial playthrough near launch and didn't have any problems, so the crash is caused by something about the save itself. If I had to guess, it might be related to the fact that I'm partway through going Hollow with Yoel's help--even though I'm currently wearing fully concealing armor, maybe it's trying to load some corrupt textures or something like that. Not like I can do a lot of experimenting with that, though.

I tried to verify the integrity of the game files, but it didn't pick anything up.

Anyone have any idea what I might be able to do here? I'd prefer not to have to restart the whole game, because frankly the first few areas were REALLY rough for me on a melee build.

You could try reinstalling. If you're synced to cloud saves you definitely won't lose your save file, if that still doesn't work you might have to make peace with resolving your character

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Reinstalling the game doesn't get rid of your saves, Cloud or not. In fact, the game does NOT Cloudsave by default, which cost me my DS2 and 3 characters after I my old laptop broke and I wiped the C drive to try and fix it. It didn't work, and I painfully discovered that DS2 and 3 store your save data in a quite hidden folder on said C drive (my games are installed on the HDD, C is my SSD).

Therefore, just reinstall, it's gonna be fine. If you really want to make sure you don't lose your characters, google for where the saves actually are (I forgot) and back them up manually.

Seriously though, I gently caress around with mods for all three DS games and keep uninstalling and reinstalling them to un-apply the mod, it's no issue whatsoever.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Iirc wasn't there a bunch of posts buried in this thread somewhere about someone having a similar problem? I think it had something to do with USB/bluetooth headphones just magically loving with the game.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

I have no idea how to help, Cleretic, sorry! Hopefully someone else does, or at least knows where to point you for help with your issue. That sucks :(

Man I'm still salty about accidentally killing that dude in the church of yorshka because of that stupid "attack!" soapstone message. I figured I'd get over it because it's dark souls and it's my first time but man. That sucks.

If you want to get all the endings, you need to clear the game at least four times, so you can just chalk it up to going for 100% completion. :v: You need to kill that dude to complete Anri's questline normally, anyway.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

this is my favorite mimic warning ever

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
A quick update: Reinstalling seemed to barely work, but 'barely work' might be enough if my suspicions are correct.

I got back from 'crash on startup' to 'crash after a few loading screens', but that was enough to take a sprint towards removing what I think was the problem. Specifically, I finished the Hollowing with Yoel, triggering Yuria of Londor, and then got a Purging Stone from her.

I'll find out after dinner if that worked, but I was able to warp from Firelink to the Abyss Watchers without crashing afterwards, which is a good first sign.

EDIT: Okay, I'm out of ideas.

It crashed again when I tried to keep playing, so something was still wrong. So I decided to do a full bug test, see what might be causing it. It has to be something about the character itself, because I decided to do a full gauntlet of suicide runs on my old character to make sure she wasn't crashing on death.

So I took off all the equipment they had, swapped out my previous weapon for a new one (Arstor's Spear swapped out for the Farron Great Sword), and started committing suicide. Every death without a crash, putting on another piece of equipment. Surely one of them is causing this. Five effectively-naked suicides, no crash. So on goes the shield (Wooden Shield). No crash. On go the rings, one by one (Bloodbite, Blue Tearstone, Carthus Milkring, Flynn's Ring), no crash. On goes the armor (Fallen Knight set), no crash.

So I just keep playing, because somehow that's been fixed. An hour of gameplay, no problems except for a painful lack of progress because the Catacombs are a perfect storm of the poo poo I'm bad at handling in melee...

And then it crashes. Booting it up again, I go for about another fifteen minutes before another crash.

I have no idea what's wrong. I really don't want to start another character, because frankly the experience so far has been unpleasant but spurred me on with moments of 'at least that's over'. If there's no fix for this, I'm throwing in the towel; the DLCs that weren't out last time I played aren't worth this.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 3, 2021

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Can I get a build recommendation? I usually do dex and the last super fun build I did was a dual bleed. I understand bleed has been nerfed a bit. What's fast and fun? I don't mind going without shield and I've been through the game already so I'd like to get whatever weapon a little early so I can have fun with it for a while. Maybe a halbard type weapon.

I've also never done a Pyro or magic build. Are those any good?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bleed is still really good against most bosses, mostly carthus rouge was nerfed

pyro is strong in general, magic doesn't do great damage early but pops off later

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyro is stupid good. Anything strong vs fire is weak to dark and vice versa, you can't lose.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wouldn't call it stupid strong, but my baseline is always the DS1 magic builds.
Pyromancy is nice to throw poo poo from range to single out enemies or when the boss has a bit of downtime between animations, but most of the time you'll do more damage with a dex build.
That's not to say it's bad, it just doesn't break the game wide open. Remember to always have dark and fire sorceries equipped and you'll be golden.
And yeah of course it's nice to demolish some very annoying enemies who happen to be weak to fire, like Pus of Men or dogs or those balls of leeches in the swamps.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Decided to roll a couple new characters to play around with in the early game while I continue advancing my punchman. I made a pyro, who I plan to probably do strength/pyro stuff with, probably quality weapons but I haven't decided for sure. The other one is an assassin so I can play with dex weapons and sorceries. Any suggestions for either? The assassin is my very first caster in this game too, not counting the few hours I played with pyromancies in 1, so general tips on caster builds would be helpful. e.g. is 40 still the softcap for most stats? I'm guessing I wanna focus on raising dex/int to 40, as well as my attunement.

e: my assassin already has the uchigatana. First thing I did when I got to Firelink was parry the poo poo out of the sword master and take his stuff. But looking at the upgrade chart it only gets up to C scaling in dex at +10, so I'll probably upgrade this for now, at least to +3, but I'm guessing I'll wanna switch weapons once I start getting more large shards and up

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 4, 2021

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Decided to roll a couple new characters to play around with in the early game while I continue advancing my punchman. I made a pyro, who I plan to probably do strength/pyro stuff with, probably quality weapons but I haven't decided for sure. The other one is an assassin so I can play with dex weapons and sorceries. Any suggestions for either? The assassin is my very first caster in this game too, not counting the few hours I played with pyromancies in 1.

e: my assassin already has the uchigatana. First thing I did when I got to Firelink was parry the poo poo out of the sword master and take his stuff. But looking at the upgrade chart it only gets up to C scaling in dex at +10, so I'll probably upgrade this for now, at least to +3, but I'm guessing I'll wanna switch weapons once I start getting more large shards and up

you could try doing orbeck's quest asap to get pestilent mercury for your sorcerer. it's a great boss killing spell

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"

Decided to roll a couple new characters to play around with in the early game while I continue advancing my punchman. I made a pyro, who I plan to probably do strength/pyro stuff with, probably quality weapons but I haven't decided for sure. The other one is an assassin so I can play with dex weapons and sorceries. Any suggestions for either? The assassin is my very first caster in this game too, not counting the few hours I played with pyromancies in 1, so general tips on caster builds would be helpful. e.g. is 40 still the softcap for most stats? I'm guessing I wanna focus on raising dex/int to 40, as well as my attunement.

40 is a softcap in several stats, yes.

Generally I think pyro is awesome, fire and dark spells trivialize several encounters and bosses(sans two that are practically immune) and you have lots and lots of spells you can try out. it's good. Really good.

With pyromancy, there's a catch: unlike in DS1, pyro uses stats. Your flame scales with int and faith both meaning that you must keep leveling those two if you want to keep up. It checks the lower value among those two so they ought to be kept balanced. This of course means that you have less stats to play around with elsewhere. The good news is, nothing stops you from mixing in miracles and sorceries.

I suggest starting with raw infusions. Pick a weapon that feel good, and don't worry too much. Raw carries well into middle game where it becomes obsolete. When they become available, switch to chaos/deep infusions. Chaos and deep scale with faith/int and are pretty much meant for pyromancers There are some special weapons that are pyro-friendly but they are pretty niche. Some are dlc only. Level dex and str only to get a weapon you prefer.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Might finally give Cinders a try. Looks pretty neat. I don't even remember the last time I played dark souls, i'm going to prepare to die quite a bit

i usually play meme builds, i think my first full playthrough was only fists and one of my favorite ones ever was bow only. cinders seems like it adds SO much stuff, i feel like it's a bad idea to focus on a specific thing and not just go with a general build. or just do it anyway and enjoy the new content while i fist things forever

what's your favorite cinders weapon setup?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
did they restrict parrying to a small set of weapons in this game from ds2? in ds2 i could parry with a lot of stuff 2h but in this i dont seem to be able to

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dark souls 2 is the only souls game that features 2H parrying, minus I guess farron greatsword(but that's because it's a paired weapon with a dagger instead of actually being 2H)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can you not parry with ultra greatswords anymore? I thought a few of them had absurdly long parries that were basically impossible to land but theoretically doable