Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Tekne posted:

I enjoyed that the one responsible for all the mayhem is an unscrupulous tech CEO, who builds a false god, because he feels mankind (he) should be in charge from his own pride and hubris. Corporate billionaires are the literal personification of the mistaken alpha/gorilla (lol) mindset, and they're also responsible for maintaining the system that spreads this garbage when they aren't doing it personally through social media and tv interviews.

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I loved and hated the movie. By itself, it was fantastic start to finish. Very Millenium era plot, good action, amazing fights. I was actually surprised at how simple mecha G was? Like I had all these crazy ideas they straight up had a fake Godzilla but nah G was just trying to stop Mecha from coming online. I dig that. The human plot only existed to move across locations and that’s ok for the film this was trying to be.

That said, it’s such an insane and bullshit departure from G’14 I can’t help but to be somewhat disappointed. I knew once KOTM opened that box we’d never go back to anywhere near realism but hot loving drat they went all out on this one. Hollow Earth was cool and the most believable part of this movie compare led to the bullshit cyber tech anyone can use and is also broken by the front facing computer. I thought it was dumb in KOTM and it’s even worse here. But it’s only worse when directly comparing it G’14.

KOTM and GvK are great and fit right in with the rest of the Godzilla movies. Right amount of camp, magic tech, and monster fights. But G’14 and Shin stand alone as the real greats.

I really like how G14 did things too, prob still my fav of the recent ones but I love the wild stuff too and I hope this is popular enough that they do more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
All the stuff in GvK left over from KotM left a bad taste in my mouth but I think this might be a movie that I like more the more I think about it. They definitely did their due diligence thinking out the fights.

I'll still like the 2014 film the best of this series, though.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The prologue is some real Adam wingard poo poo. Disappointed "looking for the magic" didn't get used

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wish there was less dumb bullshit. Flouride jokes were old fifty years ago

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jenny Agutter posted:

But then they wouldn’t be able to call the NZ kid “Tap Water” for the entire movie and that’s the only characterization he had.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I reckon if you didn’t like this movie you just aren’t ever going to like a movie where the premise is Godzilla and King Kong fighting each other. Some have claimed to enjoy kaiju but not this film, and the science tells me they are liars.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Is it a joke? They end the scene labeling the non conspiracy nut a loser.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The best remnant from King of the Monsters is dumb Ghidorah, um, Kevin beating the absolute poo poo out of Godzilla and Kong with his new mechanical turbomurder body. Ghidorah's sadistic playfulness was definitely on display with him just teeing off on Godzilla, smashing his head into multiple buildings, and slamming him into the ground to stomp on his head. He could've delivered the Kiss of Death at any point during that beating, but Kevin just wanted to use Big G as his personal punching bag instead of kill him outright.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Movie was dumb as gently caress but holy poo poo the Tron Fight was great

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Best part of the big fight is that Kong was really good at getting Godzilla to just ram his head into buildings.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Best part of the big fight is that Kong was really good at getting Godzilla to just ram his head into buildings.

Also the subtle nod to the original Kong/T-Rex battle when Kong had Godzilla in a headlock. They had him doing more grappling and wrestling-ish moves while Godzilla was more animalistic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I reckon if you didn’t like this movie you just aren’t ever going to like a movie where the premise is Godzilla and King Kong fighting each other. Some have claimed to enjoy kaiju but not this film, and the science tells me they are liars.

Now that I’ve had a day to ruminate on it I think I hated this movie, but the original King Kong vs Godzilla is probably in my Top 3 for the Showa era.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also the subtle nod to the original Kong/T-Rex battle when Kong had Godzilla in a headlock. They had him doing more grappling and wrestling-ish moves while Godzilla was more animalistic.

Speaking of nods there was a nice one to the original 70’s Godzilla vs Kong where Kong shoved a giant tree down Godzilla’s throat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now that I’ve had a day to ruminate on it I think I hated this movie, but the original King Kong vs Godzilla is probably in my Top 3 for the Showa era.

It ends pretty lamely and abruptly but it's a fun enough ride to get to the two actually fighting, even though giving Kong lightning powers was about as weird a call as the plot device axe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Glad I watched it drunk, is basically Rampage scaled up, dumb fun.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't really been crazy about any of the Legendary kaiju movies but I'd say this is pretty easily the worst one, the one that feels the most completely stripped of any kind of personality. At least Godzilla '14 and King of the Monsters had the occasional weighty image.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I like how comfortable G was with using his breath now after his power-up. Just non-stop press A for atomic blast gameplay. The start of the fight being a close brawl where Kong KNOWS what’s coming and keeps interrupting until he has no choice but to make some distance once the breathing begins was loving awesome.

Godzilla is a Cable main in MvC2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed this movie and for me going over the top with the hollow Earth stuff really works because I like having something like that to get me from one monster scene to the next. Another ridiculous element to entertain me so that when the monsters aren't on screen it's not just scientists sitting in a stuffy lab having conversations. I like that.

It definitely would be hard to just sit down and watch this in a vacuum though, having not at least seen KOTM, there's a lot of stuff that would just seem completely out of the blue.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Monarch specializes only in Titans correct? then why would there be a Monarch site in Roswell

I know

Gigan

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

teagone posted:

This is me too. I hated KotM. I loving love GvK.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If they can't make more Godzilla films after this couldn't Legendary still make Kong films for the Monsterverse? I'm not sure how his rights work (or if he is public domain now?).

It did fee like they were setting him up to lead the franchise in this movie.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I like how comfortable G was with using his breath now after his power-up.

Ah, good point. I thought that was weird (and how sections of his body glowed blue constantly) but now that you say that it makes sense. That’s the reason I thought he was MechaG in the trailers.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I was expecting the blue glow Godzilla to turn into Mecha G via the original reveal from the Showa movie. A bit sad that it didn't happen but oh well.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of the modern Mecha G's design but it really does work better in motion than static. It was a lot of fun seeing him come in and bum rush Godzilla. What a great heel.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Violator posted:

Ah, good point. I thought that was weird (and how sections of his body glowed blue constantly) but now that you say that it makes sense. That’s the reason I thought he was MechaG in the trailers.

It seemed like some of Godzilla's scales crumbled away when he tore a whole to the center of the earth, which may explain the additional glowy spots?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Pyswagoras posted:

It seemed like some of Godzilla's scales crumbled away when he tore a whole to the center of the earth, which may explain the additional glowy spots?

Ah, that's true too. Need to rewatch and pay more attention to the little details.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Real glad I watched this yesterday as now my YouTube recommendations are just full of clips of the finale :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed this stupid-rear end movie. Far better than the rest of this franchise so far.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I really enjoyed the solid 25 minutes of kaiju fights, but the surrounding 90 minutes of bad human stuff was almost unbearable. I think it weighs the movie down a lot. If I were to rewatch it, I'd only skip to the action scenes (and even then they have too many badly-edited cutaways to the annoying humans). I think MBB's whole team should have been removed from the film and you wouldn't lose anything, just have the villain scenes happen without them constantly needing to be observed by the heroes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I confess I have yet to get a chance to sit down and watch this movie yet, but from the snippets of plot details I keep hearing...it almost sounds like this borrowed ideas from Bride of Godzilla of all things, which is just wild to me

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm sad the Monsterverse is done. I liked every movie for different reasons and GvK is no exception. I found the shots in GvK to be a bit flat but the fights were choreographed extremely well and every Kaiju had their own personality. I did love that apparently the biggest move you can do on another Kaiju is put their rear end through a skyscraper. I got the usual thrills from the genre, as well as the usual weaknesses. Good stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I would say that of the four movies, this one had the best choreography for the monster fights. There were a lot of cool moments, and the fights were high energy without sacrificing the sense of scale.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I would say that of the four movies, this one had the best choreography for the monster fights. There were a lot of cool moments, and the fights were high energy without sacrificing the sense of scale.

They made Godzilla faster and introduced some human elements to the Kaiju fights. These felt much more like Man in Suit movies in terms of fight construction. The buildings are basically turnbuckles in this, which I found very amusing. Got some big time Lucha vibes from some of Kong's moves. It was very fresh and the only thing I would have liked to have seen is Godzilla Judo-flip a bitch.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They made Godzilla faster and introduced some human elements to the Kaiju fights. These felt much more like Man in Suit movies in terms of fight construction. The buildings are basically turnbuckles in this, which I found very amusing. Got some big time Lucha vibes from some of Kong's moves. It was very fresh and the only thing I would have liked to have seen is Godzilla Judo-flip a bitch.
It's minor and a thing you always have to forget about in these movies, but I wish in Hong Kong when they went "Evacuation begun!" and showed everyone in the bunkers that they tossed in an unrealistic "Okay, everyone's safe underground, no life forms detected" or something.

I want to be able to cheer when King Kong smashes Godzilla through a building, not go "ew... like hundreds of innocent people just died there because of our 'hero.'"

For the most part you can imagine that, but they do have cutaways from the ground where people are still running away throughout the battle.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

He did yank Kong over his shoulder when Kong had the headlock on, probably as close as you're going to get.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like they tweaked both Godzilla and Kong to make the fights work. Godzilla moves a bit faster so that he can compete with Kong's agility, and Kong is bigger and stronger so that he can believably stand toe-to-toe with Godzilla. I thought they struck a really good balance there.

Violator
May 15, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I really enjoyed the solid 25 minutes of kaiju fights, but the surrounding 90 minutes of bad human stuff was almost unbearable. I think it weighs the movie down a lot. If I were to rewatch it, I'd only skip to the action scenes (and even then they have too many badly-edited cutaways to the annoying humans). I think MBB's whole team should have been removed from the film and you wouldn't lose anything, just have the villain scenes happen without them constantly needing to be observed by the heroes.

Yeah, my first impression is this has the weakest human element of the Legendary series. Teenagers just walking into secure facilities and stumbling into hyper loops was bizarre. MBB should have been better connected than needing an Alex Jones podcast host to lead her around.

And the “my evil dad needs his power source” character was weird and unneeded too. Why even have APEX if they weren’t in previous movies and could have been a rogue arm of Monarch?

I like KOTM human story better because at least that was cohesive, if generic.

Edit: But the fights were the best of the series. And the little girl and her guardian were terrific. Remove the MBB story and focus on her and how she lost her family and bonded with Kong. Heck, pull MBB into that since she lost her mom and brother to monsters!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Seems pretty obvious with Lance Reddick's tiny role and high billing that they massively chopped and screwed the plot at one point. Wingard is very proud of it. But there are some very odd artifacts in the movie, some stuff that didn't seem quite right. Luckily I'm just here for the delicious Kaiju desserts and have always been willing to eat my "human plot" vegetables to get there.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

JazzFlight posted:

I want to be able to cheer when King Kong smashes Godzilla through a building, not go "ew... like hundreds of innocent people just died there because of our 'hero.'"

This was the best part. They're not our heroes, they're our gods. They can do what they want and we have to take it. Main reason i haven't jelled with this version is how they treat them as pets. They still do that here, but it ends up costing a bunch of lives because of it. Good.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

For my money, the Monsterverse has produced two great movies (G14 and Skull Island) and two pretty good ones (KOTM and GvK), which is a batting average higher than just about any major blockbuster franchise ever.

The only thing that turned me off about GvK was how pointless most of the human-level stuff was. Surely there was a better way to reveal the sinister plot without two kids and a podcaster Scooby Doo-ing their way right into the heart of EvilCorp. I also didn't need the movie to keep reminding me Kyle Chandler existed if he wasn't going to do anything. Alexander Skarsgard could have been dropped without impacting a thing, either.

But the monster side of the movie was a lot of fun. I appreciated that they were willing to get weird in this series in a completely different way than the Japanese Godzilla movies got weird. It seemed to be taking cues from Jules Verne and Edgar Rice Burroughs, with all the anti-gravity ships and hidden ecosystems and whatnot.

Also, thank God someone still knows how to make a blockbuster movie that isn't two-and-a-half-loving-hours long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splint Chesthair posted:

Also, thank God someone still knows how to make a blockbuster movie that isn't two-and-a-half-loving-hours long.

Yea at first because I've been looking forward to this movie so much I was like "awww, it's under 2 hours? I want more!", but then after watching it I realized it's paced extremely well and feels packed with action. The extra 20 minutes of padding that comes with the standard blockbuster these days only drags movies down.