Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

'Nobody Mookie likes dies' should be circled, since Ink Witch and Arudak disappeared for a year and then we found out they're perfectly fine and didn't even get hurt by Redactrix and Master Palms.

maltesh posted:

Who is the nameless best character? Ship? The Blood Horror? The Skori Tree? Potion Vendor? Redactor?

The tree, for trying to save us from this trainwreck by killing Snout and then flipping him off.

Edit: gently caress, what a terrible page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kavak posted:

It reminds me less of white people or liberalism and more evangelical Christianity. Repentance is everything, there's no need to make amends because forgiveness is God's purview. Bob is repenting for his sin of molesting all those boys on the track team, they and their families should forgive them already.

it's not even so much repentance but the idea that good intentions are followed by good actions and bad intentions are followed by bad actions. it's an extremely reductive model of morality that doesn't allow for nuances like exploring systemic injustices, which is also extremely convenient when your protagonists are supposed to be morally upright, but also hold positions of nobility and prestige within a political system that constantly and openly endorses genocide

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zereth posted:

Were there ones that could talk? I thought they were just animals but :airquote: vegetables :airquote:

As others have pointed out you're right, I was just being pedantic about sentient/sapient. :v:

But it's still pretty hosed up because even with that distinction they're essentially saying "Sorry we didn't give a poo poo about your pain until you could talk."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Finally got round to reading Trixie Slaughteraxe. I do wonder if someone would be willing to redesign it the way that one Japanese writer who couldn't draw got his story re-done with an effective artist that then became really famous.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Samovar posted:

Finally got round to reading Trixie Slaughteraxe. I do wonder if someone would be willing to redesign it the way that one Japanese writer who couldn't draw got his story re-done with an effective artist that then became really famous.

One-Punch Man?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Of all the interesting things I've learned about in this thread, Thorsby's work is probably the top of the list.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

One-Punch Man?

Yes!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I sort of feel like the crudeness of Thorsby's work is what gives it its charm, especially with the odd English. The characters saying those same things with actually detailed art would be a bit off-putting I think, not to mention I don't think Thorsby's monster designs (which are absolutely amazing) would translate well to better art.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mordja posted:

Lmao I may be misremembering, but isn't "sentient plant people who suddenly appeared after a huge, magical reckoning" straight out of Guild Wars 2?

Yeah

maltesh posted:

Who is the nameless best character? Ship? The Blood Horror? The Skori Tree? Potion Vendor? Redactor?

Gotta be the Tree. It hates Snout almost as much as we do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

Oh yeah, sorry to go back about TSFP, but was there earlier hints re. the stars disappearing before the reveal that I missed?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The biggest hint and the one I think that led to people on this site theorizing about it was the very first time Lyndon touched the scepter, he said it must not be working and then was killed, ending the vision. When he touched it in the embassy he once again said that it wasn't working, which clued people in "This is a vision" and they started theorizing why the stars might start disappearing in a vision. The fact the stars disappeared at a consistent number of days (I think 512?) as the date moved forward served to further support it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well, everyone's probably seen it at this point, but...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Snout bumped into something so hard it evaporated between panels.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
No dialogue will at least spare us from Mookie's pure, unfiltered thoughts as to what's going on with this spats wearing character.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What does this orc supremacist/plant-people racism poo poo have to do with Dominic's legacy again? Why isn't he just reading Dominic's autobiography or something? You can't tell me Dominic's family wouldn't pay to make a book singing his praises to all these peasants.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's just Mookie seizing another opportunity to show off how profoundly terrible a person he is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

amigolupus posted:

What does this orc supremacist/plant-people racism poo poo have to do with Dominic's legacy again? Why isn't he just reading Dominic's autobiography or something? You can't tell me Dominic's family wouldn't pay to make a book singing his praises to all these peasants.

A reminder that Snout's whole reason for coming to the "Maltak Union Library" was to get Lucid Dreaming for Dummies by Dominic Deegan.

He has so far failed to do so despite it being his reason for setting off on the journey in the first place.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This isn’t the Maltak public library, is it? I’m pretty sure this is Arudak’s library.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Mors Rattus posted:

This isn’t the Maltak public library, is it? I’m pretty sure this is Arudak’s library.

I mean, who can tell, but the narrative seems to communicate that the library he's going to "tomorrow" is the Maltak Union Library.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear Lord I did not need to see that last panel again

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Beelzebufo posted:

I mean, who can tell, but the narrative seems to communicate that the library he's going to "tomorrow" is the Maltak Union Library.

But then when he gets up Arudak and IWP were both exhausted and Arudak tells him that he's free to explore the tower and use "the library". Then the two of them leave snout alone, followed by a smash cut to snout in front of books. So presumably this must be a library within the tower given that Snout doesn't know where anything is and can't read the language to follow signs.

But then again, we now have these two entirely unexplained people inside what is presumably Arudak's home. Also, it's more than a little weird that Arudak would keep a book on how to learn his native language in his own personal library.

Once again, Arudak's tower seems to be this strange cross between private residence and random facilities.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oriongates posted:

Once again, Arudak's tower seems to be this strange cross between private residence and random facilities.

Wait, doesn't EVERYONE have a sign in their dining room that says "Please wait to be served"? Mine is in Esperanto instead of English.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, doesn't EVERYONE have a sign in their dining room that says "Please wait to be served"? Mine is in Esperanto instead of English.

It's an important enough cultural taboo that Arudak's maid (arguably) assaulted Snout for breaking it, but not important enough to, y'know, actually mention to his dinner guests.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Beelzebufo posted:

A reminder that Snout's whole reason for coming to the "Maltak Union Library" was to get Lucid Dreaming for Dummies by Dominic Deegan.

He has so far failed to do so despite it being his reason for setting off on the journey in the first place.

I know there's an IRL "[X] For Dummies" book series, but it would be completely in-character for Dominic's smug rear end to think anyone who doesn't know how to already do lucid dreaming is an idiot.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Oh poo poo!! His current outfit doesn't have a "deaf" patch on it! Everything is about to fall apart!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Riot Bus posted:

Oh poo poo!! His current outfit doesn't have a "deaf" patch on it! Everything is about to fall apart!

We're definitely going to get a week of them trying to talk to Snout

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's no possible way a deaf person could ever convey their disability without a label sewn into their clothes

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There's no possible way a deaf person could ever convey their disability without a label sewn into their clothes

Funny how Snout doesn't really use hand gestures that could communicate these things. It's pausing to write a letter or nothing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie thinks the audience are stupid so reminds us of information we learned mere pages ago, Snout hands Jack Skellington his library card (?!?), and the other guy turns his card into... Another card?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
:Final Countdown starts playing:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Why does Snout's library card list that he's deaf and mute?

Why would that be a thing that goes on a library card?

Where does the library get photographs? Actually, generally, where does this setting get photographs?

Why would Snout think in specifically things he's already seen written down, rather than having his own train of thought?

Why do I even bother posing these questions, however rhetorically?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Wait...wait...! Snout can form thought bubbles?!

Is this literally the first thought he's had?

What do you want to bet that they never establish that snout ever gets his card back from this guy?

oriongates fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 5, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way Mookie handles Snout's disability is so upsetting (which isn't a surprise, considering Greg was the butt of ableist poo poo in DD). Mookie is so lazy that he can't even do the bare minimum research on how to write people with hearing disabilities despite using them as a pretext to write a dialogue-less (:lol:) comic. Now every time a new character gets introduced, Snout will just whip out his DEAF tag so they instantly know to communicate with him via writing. Sign language? What's that?

Also, Thelonius introducing himself as a handsome man already feels like a huge red flag that Mookie will use the 'POC character is a sensual lover' stereotype. Really hoping this isn't leading up to him and Corpsemomwife being paired together.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

amigolupus posted:

Also, Thelonius introducing himself as a handsome man already feels like a huge red flag that Mookie will use the 'POC character is a sensual lover' stereotype. Really hoping this isn't leading up to him and Corpsemomwife being paired together.

Nope.

You see, the plant dude is being subservient to the other guy hence the other guy snatching the card away from it, because you don't address servants, nor do you allow them to speak. And we already know that the plant people are oppressed.

Mookie's Forrest-Gump-esque 'charming' idiot who has already taught a black-coded character how to do her hair is going to explain to a POC that servitude is wrong.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

This is extremely petty, but I don't like the way sunflower has what is clearly a stalk, but it's translated as a ponytail and doesn't connect to the body. Especially since the petals are also serving as a hair stand-in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hate the plant guy's design in general. There's so many things off about it that's it's almost pointless to list them all. It's an ugly and off putting design, and not ugly in a creative or interesting way.

And now if he's a regular character we're going to have to look at him more, at least for a while. Ick.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I will say, the library card and business card trade is maybe the only time Mookie’s effectively written a dialogue less scene. Yeah it’s a cliche bit but it’s at least close to an action you’d expect from real people.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Plant guy is, as was said earlier, just El Seed from the Tick but terrible. So the design is doubly infuriating since it's both terrible on its own, and also terrible because it reminds you of when the exact same idea was executed better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like the 2nd and 3rd page for the week are up yet like normal. Does this mean A) Mookie is taking more time on those pages instead of knocking them all out on Sunday? or B) he's going to rush them even more than usual because he usually doesn't have to work on the comic during the week?