Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I need to get my butt in to drawing gear again, so I'm in for rainforests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Since it is past the deadline to throw your hat into the ring - just wanted to post a quick reminder to everyone that we have the following participants who have thrown their hat into the rings for The Rainforest:

Doll House Ghost
bobthenameless
Spectral Elvis
thrashingteeth
void_serfer
Tree Bucket
Sitting Here
Krispy Wafer

Let me know if I missed anyone! Looking forward for the entries due 11:59pm on 3/31/21.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Okay, this is super gimmicky, but I wanted to give it a shot: a stereoscopic/magic eye thingy! If you don't get it at first, let your eyes unfocus so that you can see four rainforest froggies, then slowly bring them back into focus until two of the frogs overlap.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's so neat!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's both neat and extremely adorable.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Teach me your art magic Tree Bucket

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

readingatwork posted:

Teach me your art magic Tree Bucket

They're really easy to make! The picture's made of half a dozen layers (vines & ferns/ big leaves/ leaf litter etc), with each layer shifted a bit to the right in the left image, and a bit to the left in the right image. As they layers get "closer" to the viewer they need to get shifted more and more, like a 1 2 4 8 16 kind of pattern.
Turns out if you get the left and right images mixed up, then it creates a really migraine-inducing reverse depth-of-field thing. Also the green water kind of breaks the illusion, because I wasn't prepared to minutely shift individual lines of pixels.
I got the idea from Australian kid's illustrator Rolf Heimann, who did lots of fun mazes and illusions for the kiddies, peppered with references to the trauma of surviving the firebombing of Dresden at the age of four.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Tree Bucket posted:

Okay, this is super gimmicky, but I wanted to give it a shot: a stereoscopic/magic eye thingy! If you don't get it at first, let your eyes unfocus so that you can see four rainforest froggies, then slowly bring them back into focus until two of the frogs overlap.

Can't make this work but then again I was born completely blind in my left eye so... maybe that's why. Could never get any of the magic eye illusions things to work either. :(

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 29, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

Can't make this work but then again I was born completely blind in my left eye so... maybe that's why. Could never get any of the magic eye illusions things to work either. :(

Don’t worry, it’s just a sailboat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

They're really easy to make! The picture's made of half a dozen layers (vines & ferns/ big leaves/ leaf litter etc), with each layer shifted a bit to the right in the left image, and a bit to the left in the right image. As they layers get "closer" to the viewer they need to get shifted more and more, like a 1 2 4 8 16 kind of pattern.
Turns out if you get the left and right images mixed up, then it creates a really migraine-inducing reverse depth-of-field thing. Also the green water kind of breaks the illusion, because I wasn't prepared to minutely shift individual lines of pixels.

Thanks! Definitely trying this later.

quote:

I got the idea from Australian kid's illustrator Rolf Heimann, who did lots of fun mazes and illusions for the kiddies, peppered with references to the trauma of surviving the firebombing of Dresden at the age of four.

Wait wat?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Tree Bucket posted:

Finally got it to work. So cool.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

aaah i did it! This is delightful. Thank you!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sigma 6 posted:

Really sorry, if you're blind in one eye, then it won't work for you. If it’s any consolation, the Happy Forest Frog begins inducing headaches after about thirty seconds!

I’ll have to post some of his stuff later...

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

The Long Rain.

Affinity Designer (recommended, if you want to gently caress around with vector and pixel at the same time).

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just a reminder that it's the 31st!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Doll House Ghost posted:

The Long Rain.

Affinity Designer (recommended, if you want to gently caress around with vector and pixel at the same time).

That's just beautiful. Are you from a part of the world with rainforests?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had a tougher time than I expected with this one.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I plan on posting but it'll probably be a little after the deadline due to work! I don't really care if that takes me out of consideration, I'm just happy to be farting out an entry, even if it's not the elaborate idea i started out with in my head.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Went with color this time!

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

That's just beautiful. Are you from a part of the world with rainforests?

Thank you. And no, I live pretty far from rainforests.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Ah god I love all these entries, im gonna have to not enter. There was a lot of stuff happeningthis month and I completely hosed up my timing!

Do I have to do a have to do a forefit? Sorry guys!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Previously abject apologies have been accepted. (Speaking as the occasional no-show myself)

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

I too am a non-completer at this point in time. This month has been more than a little intense.

I'll do what I can to get something next week, albeit too late for consideration.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
yeah I tried my rear end off but things didn't line up for me to have the time/means to complete my entry. Which sucks because I don't think I'll finish this without the incentive of getting in nominally on time :negative:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Thanks to everyone who was able to participate this month!

Tree Bucket posted:

I absolutely love this, the image is really cute and I dig the neat textures and variety of colors. The gimmick is fun too and it's cool you were able to include it. Funny enough it's really easy for me to see on the phone but not as much on desktop.

Doll House Ghost posted:

The Long Rain.

This is absolutely gorgeous, from the meandering patterns which remind me a bit of rivers and water to the ghostly figures in the background. It's a really incredibly atmospheric piece. The colors are just lovely.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had a tougher time than I expected with this one.

Is this all digital? I feel like you have a real knack for capturing the feel of something hand drawn in a digital media which I envy. Love the expression and the little details like the ant on the branch etc.

void_serfer posted:

Went with color this time!

This is really dynamic and fun to look at. It gives a feel for the rushing of the water and the various plants in the underbrush, for things lurking there. I also like how you captured the light coming through the canopy as well.

To those who weren't able to make it this month, no worries! There is always next month.

With that said - choosing a winner is really hard but I think I am going to choose Doll House Ghost as I really love the feeling and atmosphere they captured in their piece this time. Seeing it on desktop added a lot for me as well.
Once again, thanks so much for everyone who participated!

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Thank you spacedog! :tipshat: And everyone's work was really lovely, I hope you all are in for the next round as well!

Speaking of next round, our theme is....

Gods! *

*includes gods, goddesses, spirits, demons and all kinds of deities you can imagine. Were not being picky here. Basically, if it's a supernatural being it counts!

The Sorceress by Jan van de Velde II (1626)

I want you to draw a god. You can either draw a god that already exists, or invent your own. For inspiration, here's a list of cultural deities around the world. Did you know that there's several gods of toilet? Truly, these guys are everywhere. When submitting your piece, please tell us what your god is a god of!

Date to announce participation: April 15th
Date to submit your piece: April 30th

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hell yes, I am so in for gods etc! Have been on a shin megami tensei kick so this should be really fun.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Congratulations, Doll House Ghost!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
In for Gods, and congrats to DHG for a well-earned win!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
dammit i'm going to enter until i produce something! In.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I am down for this. Count me in.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the review Spacedog and congrats Dollhouse.

It’s all digital but I’m trying to play with more realistic brushes. Watercolors seem harder than most to replicate digitally.

As for the prompt I’m down with some demigod action.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im new here. Ill draw a thing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ButtWolf posted:

Im new here. Ill draw a thing.

Awww, you missed the "draw your username" challenge by a month or two.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tree Bucket posted:

Awww, you missed the "draw your username" challenge by a month or two.

No one wanted to see what I'd draw for that.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

No one wanted to see what I'd draw for that.

three wolf moon

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

Aw heck, I'm in.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hey! You have approximately 24 hours to sign in ! You can do it!

Also, I don't know if any mods follow this thread regularly, but can I have my tag? :blush:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Doll House Ghost posted:

Hey! You have approximately 24 hours to sign in ! You can do it!

Also, I don't know if any mods follow this thread regularly, but can I have my tag? :blush:

I do and that is completely my bad! It is in the queue now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Thanks Sitting Here! I really like how the tag looks, so I'm glad I can now admire it anywhere I shitpost.

Sign-in is closed! Our contestants are:

hallo spacedog
Tree Bucket
Sitting Here
sigma 6
Krispy Wafer
ButtWolf
The Halogens

You have time until the end of month!