Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GlyphGryph posted:

Wasn't he excited to use favoured enemy against the giants? Or rather the giant vampire? So that's probably one of them.

Edit: Oh wait no maybe you're right and it was the undead bit.

That was Durkon and his racial dodge bonus against giants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rumda posted:

That was Durkon and his racial dodge bonus against giants

It was definitely Belkar, it was after he got thrown off the mountain and had to climb all the way back up. And then Roy cut the dude in half before he could kill it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GlyphGryph posted:

It was definitely Belkar, it was after he got thrown off the mountain and had to climb all the way back up. And then Roy cut the dude in half before he could kill it.

Three different things (at least) are being mixed up here; there's Durkon becoming super nimble when fighting ogres when the party was captured by Miko, Belkar threatening "Durkon" on the airship with how he's gotten really good at killing undead, and Belkar taunting the giant vampire and mentioning his halfling racial bonus with thrown weapons.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You also forgot this strip: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html

Durkon hates orcs and goblins so much, that he gets +1 (when he is reminded about it)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah I was definitely just remembering stuff in that page that wasn't in that page.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

You also forgot this strip: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0034.html

Durkon hates orcs and goblins so much, that he gets +1 (when he is reminded about it)

That feels pretty odd in retrospect, since Durkon doesn't seem to have any particular prejudice against Redcloak later on. In context, of course, it's a game-mechanics joke; the only point being made about Durkon's characterization is that his poor memory/math skills make him less effective.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anything from the first book is only canon to the extent that it doesn't conflict with anything later on. That goes double for anything from before the Linear Guild showed up.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ultrafilter posted:

Anything from the first book is only canon to the extent that it doesn't conflict with anything later on. That goes double for anything from before the Linear Guild showed up.

Except for the OOTS Orthodox followers, there are some extremists on the GitP forums who even refuse to accept as canon anything past the first “reader letters are answered” strip

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

That feels pretty odd in retrospect, since Durkon doesn't seem to have any particular prejudice against Redcloak later on. In context, of course, it's a game-mechanics joke; the only point being made about Durkon's characterization is that his poor memory/math skills make him less effective.

I think its pretty easy to explain/reconcile it is less that he "hates" orcs and goblins as Roy put it (and remember its Roy who said it, while Durkon never particularly "acts" angry as a result of being reminded about it), but the racial bonus is just more that Dwarves have been at war with Orcs/goblins for long enough and used to fighting them that they have a keener insight into their fighting style and tactics.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
drat I can't wait for a new strip or 20. There's gotta be some real good stuff coming up.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Except for the OOTS Orthodox followers, there are some extremists on the GitP forums who even refuse to accept as canon anything past the first “reader letters are answered” strip

Seriously? I want to read some of those posts...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sfwarlock posted:

Seriously? I want to read some of those posts...

The Sede Vacante faction think that the Anti-Burlew has been writing since the end of trial arc, leading readers away from the One True Arc where Miko joined the party.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is this one of those things where they immediately decided she was their fantasy paladin waifu as soon as she was introduced and refused to accept when it turned out it wasn't what they'd made up in their heads?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
These posts are just satirizing real religions and I don't get how that's not obvious.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm forming a schismatic group that doesn't accept Godclave II.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

These posts are just satirizing real religions and I don't get how that's not obvious.

When you spend your time focusing on getting the most minute details of stick figure comics it doesn't leave you much room to learn about actual history.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ikanreed posted:

Because you've been to the OotS forums, presumably, and know that anything could happen

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
The obviously true conclusion is the party is still trapped in the illusion in the desert!

It shows people their ideal "happy ever after", right? But what they accepted as what the illusion was showing them was so easy to get out of it didn't count at all! The proper "happy ever after" for not only a bunch of adventurers but the protagonists of an epic is much more hard-fought, fraught with failure and sacrifice, and doesn't have them win until the last possible opportunity. Like... What's happening now! That's a properly epic illusion!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ugly John posted:

The obviously true conclusion is the party is still trapped in the illusion in the desert!

It shows people their ideal "happy ever after", right? But what they accepted as what the illusion was showing them was so easy to get out of it didn't count at all! The proper "happy ever after" for not only a bunch of adventurers but the protagonists of an epic is much more hard-fought, fraught with failure and sacrifice, and doesn't have them win until the last possible opportunity. Like... What's happening now! That's a properly epic illusion!

My God-- you're right. For a bard like Elan, the real happy ever after would be a story that follows proper narrative conventions and leads to a satisfying, well-earned, climactic ending. Not stumbling into the big bad and effortlessly murdering him moments later.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MikeJF posted:

Is this one of those things where they immediately decided she was their fantasy paladin waifu as soon as she was introduced and refused to accept when it turned out it wasn't what they'd made up in their heads?

I was making a joke, but yes, this did happen too.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

MikeJF posted:

Lol if your fantasy paladin waifu isn't O-Chul.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Verus posted:

Lol if your fantasy paladin waifu isn't O-Chul.

For real. O'Chul will put up with an infinite amount of your poo poo, because his entire build is based around endurance. This makes him the perfect goon spouse.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I hole that people saying that we are about to get character (even just momentarily) erased are dead wrong because that sounds like hell to endure, especially for multiple strips. Does anyone REALLY miss rear end in a top hat Roy or LOL So Randumb Elan?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Given how much Rich loves to beat himself up about weaknesses in the writing of the earlier strips I think it’s safe to assume that’s not happening

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

I hole that people saying that we are about to get character (even just momentarily) erased are dead wrong because that sounds like hell to endure, especially for multiple strips. Does anyone REALLY miss rear end in a top hat Roy or LOL So Randumb Elan?

Considering how predictions on this comic tend to go (and how nonsensical this specific prediction is), I suspect the memory potion to backfire and somehow cause a time skip to where they have worked out even more of their issues.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If anything I'm expecting a huge anticlimax where the Order very swiftly deals with Serini and the amnesia potion goes unused.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Redcloak will get the amnesia potion but with the dosage meant for the entire Order. Without his memory of how much he's sacrificed to get to that point, he agrees to good faith negotiations and seals the snarl.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Arzaac posted:

If anything I'm expecting a huge anticlimax where the Order very swiftly deals with Serini and the amnesia potion goes unused.

Turns out that she’s been sneakily observing them, and just as she’s about to move in to subdue them, they reveal that everyone (except Belkar) beat their detection checks on her a while ago.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm still going with this:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They'd already been hit by the amnesia potion and this is their second time through.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm still going with this:

In fairness, there is no actual indication that the two plot threads are playing out at the same time

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The Order will be defeated and on the verge of being amnesia potioned and Belkar will deliberately kill himself and refuse raising to create an inconsistency big enough to completely torpedo Serini’s plan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This strip is establishing what's at stake: if the amnesia potion is used, all this character development will go away.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

This strip is establishing what's at stake: if the amnesia potion is used, all this character development will go away.

Eh, there's only losing a few weeks. So maybe back to the start of the desert arc.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Bongo Bill posted:

Would it? When Serini described the effects of the amnesia potion, it sounded more like the memory charm on the Oracle's valley: confusing people's memories about a particular place or person or incident, rather than scrambling weeks or months of their lives.

Personally, I think this strip is aiming for something different: it's establishing that, like Belkar, Elan was never really as incompetent as he pretended to be. He just thought normal adventurers were buzzkill jerks, and made a point to defy that stereotype - even if it meant being treated as a useless annoyance that everyone looked down on.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

This is my assessment. The order is going to be captured and Serini will be actually pouring the potion into a member's mouth and it's just about to pass the lips and take effect when someone interjects some kind of last second deal or un-considered argument and Serini has no choice but to put it on hold long enough to let the order try it their way, but with some kind of limiting condition they all have to grit their teeth and try to hold to. Alternatively just as V is about to get nailed by the potion the fiends take their part of the bargain and poo poo gets all crazy.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Redcloak will get the amnesia potion but with the dosage meant for the entire Order. Without his memory of how much he's sacrificed to get to that point, he agrees to good faith negotiations and seals the snarl.

I realize the odds are against this theory, but it would be so nice. True freedom for Redcloak!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheAceOfLungs posted:

I realize the odds are against this theory, but it would be so nice. True freedom for Redcloak!

I don't think having your mind altered to be obedient is "freedom," exactly.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
or the opposite: they'll think they're in Dorukan's dungeon for the first time, but their personalities haven't changed, so they're much more effective as a team. And then they stumble into Xykon and very nearly wallop him except for some critical thing they've forgotten - say, that V can't be left alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think having your mind altered to be obedient is "freedom," exactly.

I dunno, what if Serini's invisible partner is Darkseid? It would explain why she's so accepting about the world literally being dominated by anti-life.