Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Woo, i captured a Pheonix from SCA! Took a few reloads to not have my marines at nearly triple boarding strength and "very low" risk not mysteriously die at like 4 enemy crew left, but I've got one! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Just found out your stations can be hacked. Was wondering why there were all these wares floating around my station (it was large quantities of goods, too much for a single M trader to carry). They were not from ships that got shot down, and I looked into my station supply and turns out I was loosing supply. In the property tab it shows up with orange letters saying hacked and there was a disguised pirate ship loitering around my station.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... do NPCs ever mine nividium to sell you, or if I want that for research do I need to get it myself? (or, well, order a ship I own to do it.)

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

ughhhh posted:

Just found out your stations can be hacked. Was wondering why there were all these wares floating around my station (it was large quantities of goods, too much for a single M trader to carry). They were not from ships that got shot down, and I looked into my station supply and turns out I was loosing supply. In the property tab it shows up with orange letters saying hacked and there was a disguised pirate ship loitering around my station.
You know what to do.

Zereth posted:

... do NPCs ever mine nividium to sell you, or if I want that for research do I need to get it myself? (or, well, order a ship I own to do it.)
Not that I'm aware of - Because Nvidium isn't a ware used in any form of production I don't beleive there are NPC miners for it. Put a Solid S container on your PHQ and send a miner out for Nvidium - you only need 50 Nvidium for a couple of the researches and then like 2000 for the Universe wide teleportation.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Alternative option: Do an L miner war mission for 2500 free nividium

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BMan posted:

Alternative option: Do an L miner war mission for 2500 free nividium
:thunk: Well, let's see if I can pull the one currently on offer off.

EDIT: Wait, I don't have an L dock on it. Can Itransfer it between ships to get the nividium to the HQ?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 1, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Wait, I don't have an L dock on it. Can Itransfer it between ships to get the nividium to the HQ?
Testing with the ship assigned to it already says... no. Upside, i fiddled around enough to figure out what I needed to do to get it to let me build an L ship dock. (I needed to push it farther out form the station)

EDIT: :thunk: wait, I should get a smaller, fast ship for the factory to fill small orders. What's a good ship for that, focusing on speed over cargo space?
double edit: I mean, still a cargo ship, not something with a tiny hold. Just a fast one.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 1, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

Zereth posted:

Testing with the ship assigned to it already says... no. Upside, i fiddled around enough to figure out what I needed to do to get it to let me build an L ship dock. (I needed to push it farther out form the station)

EDIT: :thunk: wait, I should get a smaller, fast ship for the factory to fill small orders. What's a good ship for that, focusing on speed over cargo space?
double edit: I mean, still a cargo ship, not something with a tiny hold. Just a fast one.

https://roguey.co.uk/x4/ships/
Filter to your hearts content

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Did they change how crystal hunting works? I last played right after release when you'd just fly through asteroid fields looking for glinting effects to track down crystals, and I don't seem to be getting those anymore (either that or crystals are now stupidly rare).

I know they did some dumb stuff where if you pick the most expensive crystals you can't get anymore of the rare ones for some time, but I've pretty much not seen anything other than 2 asteroids with the lowest grade crystals so far.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Falcorum posted:

Did they change how crystal hunting works? I last played right after release when you'd just fly through asteroid fields looking for glinting effects to track down crystals, and I don't seem to be getting those anymore (either that or crystals are now stupidly rare).

I know they did some dumb stuff where if you pick the most expensive crystals you can't get anymore of the rare ones for some time, but I've pretty much not seen anything other than 2 asteroids with the lowest grade crystals so far.

Pretty sure they reduced the spawn rate of them even further, and increased the time between when you can even see the 2nd+ tier ones also. They're pretty rare outside of generally hostile systems though. Faulty Logic remains one of the most accessible/functional areas to go hunting in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RBA Starblade posted:

Not a huge fan of the paranid plot fighters that just shot my mk 3 shields off in one pass

Those ones all have shard batteries which I think most AI ships never bother with.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Pretty sure they reduced the spawn rate of them even further, and increased the time between when you can even see the 2nd+ tier ones also. They're pretty rare outside of generally hostile systems though. Faulty Logic remains one of the most accessible/functional areas to go hunting in.

:egosoft:

Thanks, it's a bit disappointing since I mostly treated them as a nice scavenger hunt while waiting for patrol missions.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I've installed two mods for Crystals, one that reverts their spawning to near release, and one that makes asteroids with crystals on them glow rather obviously.

Just the glow mod made it obvious that there are a lot more crystals than you think. Just nearly all of them are cheap purple ones.

I can endure the grind but I don't got all day anymore.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Sky Shadowing posted:

I've installed two mods for Crystals, one that reverts their spawning to near release, and one that makes asteroids with crystals on them glow rather obviously.

Just the glow mod made it obvious that there are a lot more crystals than you think. Just nearly all of them are cheap purple ones.

Oh I'm using the glow mod that follows RPG rules, white for cheap, followed by green then blue the purple then finally gold for the high value crystals. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2069554360 Works fine in commonwealth space, I don't spend much time in Terran space and it hasn't been updated for the CoH sectors.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 1, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

Those ones all have shard batteries which I think most AI ships never bother with.

Think I'm going to have to grab some for myself, I had to reload a few times since they just chewed through the shields and hull in seconds

Even with my frigate support the one was banged up. Also I learned my salvaged Osprey is the slowest piece of poo poo in the universe lmao

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
By the way, has anyone found the new, 29th, data vault? I am annoyed to no end that I have the mission open at 28/29.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

I just installed the glow-only one and :stare: yes, that's quite a lot of them. They must have messed with the sparkle effect somehow because even in direct line of sight to some of them (based on the mod's glow) I still wasn't seeing any sparkling.

Ah well, problem solved, I can make spacesuit bombs now :v:

edit: Took my newly built Katana for a spin, got cocky near a Xenon station and died in a single volley. You win some you lose some

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 1, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Yeah, those red plasma-like projectiles? They hurt. A lot.

I am currently sitting in my Raptor slowly letting my plasma turrets dismantle a few Xenon stations while I manage my growing empire. Plasma turrets outrange Xenon turrets.

I do wish the Xenon were more of a threat. They are a complete non-issue in my game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're welcome to tell that to the western ZYA in my game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah the ZYA are very bad at keeping Xenon Defense Station Creep under control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really think having all their resourcing separate from the production just murders them, also trying to send all their ships through loving tharka's cascade.

I dunno why NPCs are so desperate to drive through xenon space when they could just go through two grand.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I've not seen ZYA have any issues at all. With zero assistance from my goofing around supercharging HOP, they've actually taken both Tharka systems in this run.

Meanwhile, Teladi have lost their shipyard/wharf yet again, and all their systems that run out of Trinity Sanctum.

And HOP, with basically limitless resources from me, has only managed to punch through their local Xenon sectors and up to The Void, but haven't taken anything besides that for 2 game days now despite having something like 25 battlegroups

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

On the other hand terran are just a ridiculous powerhouse. They are murdering ANT and ARG while shooing away xenon invasions with a huge fleet of nearly 20 destroyers and an asgard.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Hotfix 3

notes posted:

Improved collision detection, especially at high speeds.

Fixed re-tasked NPC traders sometimes holding on to reservations for trades they are not going to complete.
Fixed not seeing assigned trainees on HQ after relocating it to sector without training capabilities.
Fixed player being able to easily board ships they've just sold.
Fixed missile launchers not being available to Terran and Pioneer factions.
Fixed license requirements for missile launchers and turrets.
Fixed automatic buy/sell threshold calculation for intermediate wares with manual storage allocation.

Fixed incorrect Torus airlock state if players teleports unexpectedly.
Fixed cases of mission ship being stuck in hazardous region during Second Assistant mission.
Fixed target ship in Mutually Assured Destruction mission stopping for no apparent reason.
Fixed Advanced Satellite deployment not registering in The Meeting story mission.
Fixed From the Ashes mission not accepting Terran ship fabrication modules.
Fixed Save Them From Themselves mission not ending if important character is no longer available when objective is completed.
Fixed Hatikvah mission getting stuck when interrupting Dal during Teladi meeting.
Fixed Operation Hyena Station construction failing to complete.
Fixed Falx asking for impossible equipment loadout in Terran Deliver Fleet missions.
Fixed Oberth not accepting antimatter cells in specific circumstances.
Fixed Final Debrief not continuing when defending Saman from Pirates under specific circumstances.
Fixed issues with Undercover Trader in Zyarth's Coffin story mission.
Fixed NPC in Treacherous Shallows mission getting killed if station is destroyed before player starts conversation.
Fixed Moreya gained in Astronauts, Champions, Truth Seekers mission remaining locked from pilot assignment after end of plot.
Fixed missing reputation reward for A Heart for Pirates mission.

Fixed encyclopedia entry selection when opening sector entries.
Fixed targeting capital ships not unlocking weapon and thruster information in Encyclopedia.
Fixed missing option to resume production if production module is marked for recycling or is hacked.
Fixed Yaki station sometimes having no icon.
Fixed several causes of crashes.

RIP my favorite money scheme of selling the Argons the same ship a dozen times. Also, the Moreya fix is interesting, curious how that one will work.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I've got Kha'ak constantly harassing my miners in Eighteen Billion right now. Like every few minutes a big group of like 5 Queens Guard with fighter support just appears and start causing trouble, and since the 'patrol sector' order seems to do nothing I have to just be constantly manually dealing with them. Any was to stop them? Is there a station nearby that they're coming from that I can destroy?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't seen the Khaak in a dozen hours lol

Xenon barely matter too, and I just united the paranid. Hooray for peace!

E: they want how many ships? Lol. Lmao.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 1, 2021

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
The late-game economy really needs a rebalance. Maybe a fleet upkeep cost of some kind, you could tie in skill level progression where wages affect skill gain. Or a wealth tax on all factories in faction sectors, 0% on the first 5mil per hour and scale up from there. There's just no money sink once you have all the blueprints you want. Is there maybe a mod which attempts something like this?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I've got Kha'ak constantly harassing my miners in Eighteen Billion right now. Like every few minutes a big group of like 5 Queens Guard with fighter support just appears and start causing trouble, and since the 'patrol sector' order seems to do nothing I have to just be constantly manually dealing with them. Any was to stop them? Is there a station nearby that they're coming from that I can destroy?

There's definitely a station nearby, it can be hard to find sometimes and you might have to go beyond the sector borders to find it. You can also try the "new plot" trick, when creating a plot unrevealed stations in previously revealed space will show up as question marks. This is a bit cheat-y but there's just no proper in-game way to find these stations other than cruising around yourself and long-range scanning all over. If you don't see it like that it's probably beyond the normal borders somewhere.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

I can't figure it out either, they seem attracted to where your miners clump and allegedly they come from a hive but in my current save they appear every 20 minutes or so in Tharka's Ravine and I cannot for the life of me find the stupid hive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My Katana is now modded to move at the speed of my Rapier; I declined to put on the purple and black bumblebee paint job I got from the Paranid

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kha'ak make stations way outside the regular sector area and will constantly send raids into miner clumps. Miners also tend to clump up around specific areas (for example all of your miners from a station will all go to the same area in a sector, or all your sector miners will clump up in the same area). The best solution I found was to use the defend position behaviour around the area your miners go to. You have to change it every so often when the miners change spots. It's either that or go and destroy the station. If you can find the station and the sector ownership is with another faction, they will very quickly go and get rid of it for you as long as the faction isn't getting steamrolled somewhere else.

I have got this mass of destroyers I captured ( 11 in total) that I used to use for miner defence. I haven't lost a miner in hours and most of my mining zones are relatively safe. Who should I go to war with/can I go to war like this? If I were to make a defence platform in neopolis to claim it, do I have to around blowing up all the scale plat and HAT stations?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 1, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You dont have to blow up stations to claim sectors unless those stations are also claiming the sector with an admin module. If you claim NF you don't have to do anything with the stations already in there if you don't want to.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

The AI has absolutely no chill if you give them the resources to just pump out ships. :stare:

This is in one system

But they seem to get stuck in blinders with priority of systems to go after. Also there seems to be a bug where a system in contested status will not change until only one faction has a defense station. So Getsu Fune is staying in Antigone hands because TER and HOP are there, despite ANT being completely destroyed there. And Getsu has a higher priority than either Second contact or Pious Mists, so this angry ball of death I helped creat is just loving off not really doing much of anything useful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

X4 CPU core utilization on 32 threads:

The highlighted line is the MHz utilization according to vSphere 7, which I think tops out at CPU frequency*number of threads.

Antigravitas posted:

Oof, that's rough. Sounds like something you should report to egosoft though, they actually do dissect save games. (That's one of the reasons why it's gzipped XML instead of something binary)

I've been thinking of just mounting a ZFS dataset via NFS. Saving should be sped up a little bit by using filesystem level compression instead of gzip, and :techno:
The NFS client in Windows 10 (in every version except the Home edition) doesn't support NFSv4, so it's a mystery how they test the NFSv4 server that's in their Server products.

What Egosoft should do is drop zlib for gzip compression and switch to zstandard or lz4. Both are BSD-licensed, so they can be in commercial products, and both manage very good compression ratios while still getting better compression and decompression speeds than gzip, and they only lose out a bit on the compression ratio, but since it's just flatfile XML databases, it should compress well.

I ended up deleting the savegame in frustration when I recreated a new game and completed the quest that was reliably crashing it, so it looks like it might've been one of the mods.
I've gone back to a very few QoL mods instead of VRO et al.
Incidentally, my FPS is now considerably better, too.

Speaking of not that at all, how in the absolute gently caress am I supposed to find Hydrogen of the required amount in Grand Exchange I? I've put resource beacons everywhere.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 1, 2021

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

I don't use the Patrol behaviour, I use Protect Area and park a couple M Fighters in the belts where there's mining ( I only have the PHQ and a combination Ore & Silicon refinery in Pious Mists IV right next to the belt and have a line of 3 corvettes on picket duty and it works fine ). The Protect Area behaviour only covers a 40km bubble so if your miners are spread out you'll need more pickets. The other known fix is to use L Miners, Kha'ak fighters struggle to scratch L Shields.
The understanding is that Kha'ak Installations could be up to 3 sectors away - Kha'ak Installations are massive and you'll eyeball them faster than an ai explorer will run into one, so you'll be flying recon on this one - I have destroyed exactly 1 Installation, took my Syn armed with Argon Plasma L Turrets aaaaaaaages and I had lucked out as there was a patrol Odysseus who got to the installation before me and who was getting swarmed by the Kha'ak fighters while I only had to contend with a couple station guns.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 1, 2021

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Speaking of not that at all, how in the absolute gently caress am I supposed to find Hydrogen of the required amount in Grand Exchange I? I've put resource beacons everywhere.

I struggled with the prospecting missiongs so I did some googling. There is absolutely no visual indication in the asteroid fields or anywhere else what resources are available. You could stare and 30 ice rocks and get 0.0001% ice from resource probe. This has been confirmed by devs so any prospecting mission is exceptionally frustrating. Just keep spamming resource probes randomly and hope to hit it. I would suggest to avoid ALL those types of missions if possible.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The NFS client in Windows 10 (in every version except the Home edition) doesn't support NFSv4, so it's a mystery how they test the NFSv4 server that's in their Server products.

Windows NFS support is pure garbage anyway. But I don't run X4 on Windows, so I can just mount a dataset over my save folder.

I'll try it out. I'm not certain that it'll speed up saving by much. I suspect most of the time is going to be spend with the grueling work of deserialising all those world objects…

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

So if you want to speed up saving and loading times is it better to turn compression off? And if you do what are the downsides? Huge saves and increased write wear on your ssd?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I turned off indexing and security scanning on the folder and it helped, still takes a long time to save but it's better than it was.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rhjamiz posted:

After playing with VRO for about 20 hours I can safely say I don’t recommend it. Some of the new ships are cool, some very much aren’t, and I don’t think their attitude toward combat is a good one.

Out of curiosity what is the issue that you have with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Out of curiosity what is the issue that you have with it?

Some of the ships it adds are pretty seamless, like the Argon Frigate or some of the Teladi ones, but some of them are very obviously ripped and adapted from X3 and they're glaringly out of place. Additionally, VRO takes the approach that X4 combat is too "arcadey", whatever that means, and adjusts this by having everything have an internal shield generator so that targeting shield modules is now pointless since you have to be able to beat the regen. I kind of feel like X4's combat is fine as is.

It also doubles the cruise speed of pretty much every ship. Which is whatever, really.