Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is the remaster of 3 going to be the og or the extended edition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is the remaster of 3 going to be the og or the extended edition?

Extended Cut. All the DLC from every game except for Pinacle Station from ME1 is in Legendary Edition, and the only reason it's not there is because BioWare farmed it out to Demiurge Studios to make while they were gearing up to go into production on ME2, and when they asked Demiurge for the source code to it for LE they discovered it was completely corrupted.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i may be recalling incorrectly but didnt they remove jokers magic biohat in the extended synthesis ending because everyone made fun of it too much

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Okay not even sure if this is mass effect or not, but I keep thinking of a fantasy space race that mostly discusses emotions by referencing events and major characters to each other. Like a collective understanding that there was a major event, and a major emotion behind that event, which the entire race knows about. They talk about it in the form of "For XXX at XXX" or "XXX at XXX".

I keep thinking it's the Salarians and the phrase "For Kirrahe at Virmire" is said at some point when talking about impossible odds. Or they'll just say something like "Odareon at Guan Li", and people all understand that reference and the exact emotion the speaker is conveying. But goddamn I can't remember if that's in Mass Effect 3 or not, or if it's a completely different game. And there's no way to google an abstract concept like that. Is that in ME3? It's been bothering me for a week.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Star Trek, Darmok

e: smugly, the link to Mass Effect would be the elcor who preface every sentence with an emotion

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 1, 2021

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I haven't even seen Star Trek, but somehow you're right. Thanks and what the gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Zaeed isn't being paid to care.

Besides, if she kills everybody else on the ship he'll make out like a guddamn bandit :zaeed:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lt. Danger posted:

Star Trek, Darmok

Shepard, her fish dead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Having let it sink in, Mass Effect 3 is a wonderful game with a bunch of bullshit. Ignore the bullshit, biotic explode everything, and enjoy life.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Shepard, his favorite store.

Conrad with his face punched.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Garrus, his calibrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Shepherd and Mordin at Tuchanka.
Shepherd on the ocean.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Tali, her sweat analyzed

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zaeed, his god damned

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kasumi posted:

Jacob, his abs glistening

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Okay not even sure if this is mass effect or not, but I keep thinking of a fantasy space race that mostly discusses emotions by referencing events and major characters to each other. Like a collective understanding that there was a major event, and a major emotion behind that event, which the entire race knows about. They talk about it in the form of "For XXX at XXX" or "XXX at XXX".

I keep thinking it's the Salarians and the phrase "For Kirrahe at Virmire" is said at some point when talking about impossible odds. Or they'll just say something like "Odareon at Guan Li", and people all understand that reference and the exact emotion the speaker is conveying. But goddamn I can't remember if that's in Mass Effect 3 or not, or if it's a completely different game. And there's no way to google an abstract concept like that. Is that in ME3? It's been bothering me for a week.

Are you thinking of Aiur in Starcraft?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I haven't even seen Star Trek, but somehow you're right. Thanks and what the gently caress.

You should see a Star Trek or two (series).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Tali, her sweat analyzed

Miranda, when her rear end was erased

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
Synthesis is my canon ending because the games actually kind of harp on the cycle of Control and Destroy between synthetics and organics from the very first game and Synthesis seems to be the only way to break that cycle instead of kicking the can down the road however many millennia until the next conflict arises.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nobody likes a centrist.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Willatron posted:

Synthesis is my canon ending because the games actually kind of harp on the cycle of Control and Destroy between synthetics and organics from the very first game and Synthesis seems to be the only way to break that cycle instead of kicking the can down the road however many millennia until the next conflict arises.

How does it break the cycle though? What's stopping the humans-with-circuitboards from saying "Man this 'work' thing sucks, I want to make a machine that can do it for me" just like every other time people made synthetics?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Honestly a better take on the Synthesis ending would have been like, "okay, you say synthetics are always destined to predominate over organics? Fine, let's just go with that. Turn everyone into immortal humanoid sapient robots without pulping them into mincemeat and terrorising them first, problem solved. We can use the magic green beam to androidise them."

Like, it would no longer be the intentionally "best" ending but it would make a lot more sense and would engage better with the problem the Starchild is trying to pose to you.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah even with Destroy it's not like someone further down the line can't create a whole new galaxy threatening machine threat. With how galactic civilization works in Mass Effect, there could be entire civilizations/councils out there that no one ever meets and who know nothing about the Reapers. But that's life and it's still better than having the Reapers out there like in every other ending.

With Synthesis, new species will evolve and become space faring and encounter these weird mecha-biological constructions whose way of thinking is completely indecipherable and uh, that seems even more like it'd inevitably cause mass war. I guess that'd make all the species living in the galaxy at the time of Synthesis basically the Borg?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i may be recalling incorrectly but didnt they remove jokers magic biohat in the extended synthesis ending because everyone made fun of it too much

Yeah, Joker's hat is no longer sentient.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Soylent Pudding posted:

Garrus, his calibrations.

Shepard and Mordin at Tuchanka :smith:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I say just install that Happy Ending mod that removes the Star Child altogether and goes the Destroy route without killing the Geth & EDI.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Kaidan, his forehead glistening.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
in the synthesis ending are Praetorians 30 people because they've got a bunch of husks inside them

does a cannibal count as two people because of its human gun arm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So what you're saying is that there wasn't really a lot of thought put into it?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Shepard and Grunt at Tuchanka, when the thresher maw fell.

Shepard and Wrex at Tuchanka, when Kalros arrived.

Liara on Illium, her biotics flaring

(This is fun)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Maybe they should have put some thought into the implication of synthesis after getting some fairly talented artists to create increasingly hosed up chimeric grotesqueries as an enemy faction across three games, starting with the basic humanoid husks and ending with yeah, a Batarian that's been pumped up four sizes too big and given a human arm cannon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

BlazetheInferno posted:

Destroy route without killing the Geth & EDI.
this is how the story should've ended. you did it, the reapers are gone, galaxy's pretty hosed up but at least we're not all dead. happily-ish ever after. no twist, no synthetic-organic inevitable conflict, no brobots dying for no reason. just, you win.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Radio Free Kobold posted:

this is how the story should've ended. you did it, the reapers are gone, galaxy's pretty hosed up but at least we're not all dead. happily-ish ever after. no twist, no synthetic-organic inevitable conflict, no brobots dying for no reason. just, you win.

unironically if this happened we would have been on Mass Effect 7 by now and the Netflix series would be on Season 2

whether or not this would be a good thing is open to debate

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Writers need to stop being so averse to straightforward happy endings.

Hell, you can even kill Shepard, just don't undo the three games of bullshit I did to keep the quarians from blowing themselves up.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I desperately want a glimpse into another universe where ME3 is entirely the same except each of the three endings has Shepard meet back up with their squad on Earth afterward with a "And they all lived happily ever after, The End", just to see how the internet would've reacted to that instead.

There are a million problems with ME3 (big and small) but I fundamentally believe the reaction to the ending was only the scale it was is due to the lack of Happy Ending. But that's just my 2 credits.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The game does allow you to keep playing after you win, so the true ending is actually Shepard and Garrus dominating the scoreboard at the arena forever and running up an enormous bartab in between rounds

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DourCricket posted:

I desperately want a glimpse into another universe where ME3 is entirely the same except each of the three endings has Shepard meet back up with their squad on Earth afterward with a "And they all lived happily ever after, The End", just to see how the internet would've reacted to that instead.

There are a million problems with ME3 (big and small) but I fundamentally believe the reaction to the ending was only the scale it was is due to the lack of Happy Ending. But that's just my 2 credits.

The ending is deeply flawed and Synthesis is vague nonsense and the whole "inevitable extinction of organics at the hands of synthetics" isn't particularly resonant with the themes of the story, but yeah, I do think a lot of the dismay was in part a reaction just to "Shepard dies at the end and it's not really a clean-cut happy ending" - which isn't actually a problem storytelling-wise.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The ending is deeply flawed and Synthesis is vague nonsense and the whole "inevitable extinction of organics at the hands of synthetics" isn't particularly resonant with the themes of the story, but yeah, I do think a lot of the dismay was in part a reaction just to "Shepard dies at the end and it's not really a clean-cut happy ending" - which isn't actually a problem storytelling-wise.

Eh, I think it is a problem though. The whole conceit of the games is that Your Choices Matter, and ME2 had a whole gamut ranging from everyone dies to everyone lives and it was a gut punch if you hosed up and lost a favorite character. ME3 needed to have a range of endings including a happy ending if you did everything well.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kirrahe, when the line was held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OctaMurk posted:

Eh, I think it is a problem though. The whole conceit of the games is that Your Choices Matter, and ME2 had a whole gamut ranging from everyone dies to everyone lives and it was a gut punch if you hosed up and lost a favorite character. ME3 needed to have a range of endings including a happy ending if you did everything well.

the more accurate conceit of the game is that you can have your ideals, or you can have your results, but you can't have both. Bioware admits themselves they messed up when they made the Suicide Mission too easy