Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

well why not posted:

a race that cannot / won't gently caress being reduced to the high-tech version of drawing dicks everywhere makes sense.

It's very funny that Zod's people travel the stars and terraform worlds rather than just have sex.

Yes. Everything on Krypton looking like Giger genitals is flawless. A fascist dystopia that is simultaneously asexual and obsessed with domination really couldn't look any other way. "My homeworld was pretty hosed up. You can tell from this techno-organic dick ship where the hallways are totally empty, but the walls are lined with labia."

I'm not a comics person, so "Anti-Life" sounds like some dumb garbage to me. The idea is that it's...a mathematical proof that demonstrates Life is bad? And it helps the grey monster man because...his enemies are convinced to kill themselves? What I'm imagining it is pretty much just sounds like capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

I'm not a comics person, so "Anti-Life" sounds like some dumb garbage to me. The idea is that it's...a mathematical proof that demonstrates Life is bad? And it helps the grey monster man because...his enemies are convinced to kill themselves? What I'm imagining it is pretty much just sounds like capitalism.
Kinda sounds like you hate the dumb garbage because it's too realistic...

Which like, yeah; I think part of Snyder's thing is tying the epic comic sensibilities to the current world

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xealot posted:

It's ScienceMagic that allows the wielder to dominate the spirits of anyone exposed to it. Those affected lose the will to live, and live only for the desires of the wielder.

Basically the total loss of free will, creativity, via soul fascism.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, you know

Capitalism

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

well why not posted:

a race that cannot / won't gently caress being reduced to the high-tech version of drawing dicks everywhere makes sense.

It's very funny that Zod's people travel the stars and terraform worlds rather than just have sex.

It's a neat character beat because not only is the idea of natural procreation heretical, but when he's presented with a garden world that gives him honest to god superpowers his response is to chuck that away because it's not Krypton. They're so far gone even superpowers are gross in their eyes

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

well why not posted:

I believe the common joke is that Zod spends the movie ranting about how they need the codex to repopulate his species when he's got a beautiful woman dedicated to his cause standing right there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Xealot posted:

The idea is that the opposite of life isn't death, but the absence of free will. The anti-life is this idea manifest, it's been depicted as a mathematical formula or as a sentient energy at times, but the jist of it is that anyone who controls it can subjugate entire worlds by making them mindless drones. Your comparison to capitalism is certainly apt, but also Kirby served in WW2, which probably inspired the idea of of this embodiment of evil that enslaves peoples wills and uses them to commit unspeakable atrocities.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Burkion posted:

So, you know

Capitalism

Ares was right

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xealot posted:

It's more mathematical fact that life is hopeless, and this benefits Darkseid because while he lords over an enslaved volcanic mess of a planet, he is a universal constant that perseveres in spite of knowing that life is hopeless, which is inspirational in a hosed up way to the despondent who have been inflicted with the Anti-Life Equation; Darkseid Is.

It's obviously a Hitler & Weimar Republic metaphor, but it works with basically any strongman in a failing state. Life is hosed, everything is falling apart, but this insane rear end in a top hat still rises to the top, why not be on his side instead of the obviously defunct statquo?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 1, 2021

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The kryptonian codex is the Anti-Life formula

You just blew my mind.A complete codification of every posible genetical template, making sure life is meaningless because every important detail has been set up before your birth rendering you into a biological slave that cant see its chains.

Less comic booky than a mathematical equation that gives you depression tho.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McCloud posted:

It's a neat character beat because not only is the idea of natural procreation heretical, but when he's presented with a garden world that gives him honest to god superpowers his response is to chuck that away because it's not Krypton. They're so far gone even superpowers are gross in their eyes

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I believe the common joke is that Zod spends the movie ranting about how they need the codex to repopulate his species when he's got a beautiful woman dedicated to his cause standing right there.

it's so much funnier that it's not mentioned

hump day bitches! posted:

You just blew my mind.A complete codification of every posible genetical template, making sure life is meaningless because every important detail has been set up before your birth rendering you into a biological slave that cant see its chains.

Less comic booky than a mathematical equation that gives you depression tho.

Neat. They can probably get Russel Crowe back in to narrate some bullshit about this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

still makes me laugh to think kryptonians p much all died as virgins

russel crowe was their only chad, rip

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You don’t repopulate a species with a single breeding pair though. The fascist being so rooted in reaction that he rejects his people being elevated to the status of a demigod-like master race, as mentioned earlier, seems like a bigger joke to me.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xealot posted:

It is

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

it's depressing that the hellish dystopia of ten years ago is basically just boring old regular life now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Dragon Ball comparisons and contrasts are still interesting, especially since Super had gotten explicit about Vegeta accepting his new life and making peace with himself and exploring his capacity to care.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Xealot posted:

They're not convinced to kill themselves, they're convinced to give up their autonomy. It's conquest primarily through apathy rather than violence.

And yeah the capitalism comparison ain't a new one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McCloud posted:

The idea is that the opposite of life isn't death, but the absence of free will.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 1, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

It's more mathematical fact that life is hopeless, and this benefits Darkseid because while he lords over an enslaved volcanic mess of a planet, he is a universal constant that perseveres in spite of knowing that life is hopeless, which is inspirational in a hosed up way to the despondent who have been inflicted with the Anti-Life Equation; Darkseid Is.

It's obviously a Hitler & Weimar Republic metaphor, but it works with basically any strongman in a failing state. Life is hosed, everything is falling apart, but this insane rear end in a top hat still rises to the top, why not be on his side instead of the obviously defunct statquo?
I think one thing I really like about Kirby's Anti-Life formula is that it's not something that is thrusted upon mankind. Anti-Life is in us, all of us. It's just a matter of do you let it be exploited by something like Darkseid or do you fight?

With that said, I don't really admonish people who find the concept of Anti-Life to be corny in JL. It's not very explained and I don't really really feel like Snyder was really indulging in the overt grotesque fasco-capitalist nightmares that you find in Kirby and Morrison's depiction of Fourth World stuff. I think Cyborg's temptation at the end gets the closest there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's the beauty of ANTI-LIFE, it's not explained, even by Kirby it was never explained, only interpreted in various ways. Its obviously not a real equation but something more like the Fountain of Youth.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's the beauty of ANTI-LIFE, it's not explained, even by Kirby it was never explained, only interpreted in various ways. Its obviously not a real equation but something more like the Fountain of Youth.
I agree the actual formula is kind of in of itself unexplainable. Even the Formula that Morrison provides is more explaining the concept of Anti-Life than how it works. But I think Kirby and later Morrison definitely elaborated on what they meant by Anti-Life and what it means for someone to lose their will or how something so cartoonishly evil like Darkseid can win without ever really doing all that much. It's what elevates the formula from being some MacGuffin to actually being scary because it's real.

EDIT: I'll actually argue against myself. I think there is stuff in Snyder's work that connects to the ideas of Anti-Life like that woman Cyborg helps who is being crushed by the indifference of the world. I don't feel like the film really makes the connections between that and the Fourth World business.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 1, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I mean, if we want a view into a perverted DCEU that's been sapped of all joy and creativity Josstice League is right there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

God Yes! That panel is one of my all time favorite panels, it just shows what a terrifying force Darkseid is. I get chills everytime I see it.

Morrison really gets what the spectacle of comic books is all about. In some ways I feel Zack is the Grant Morrison of comic book films

Timeless Appeal posted:

I agree the actual formula is kind of in of itself unexplainable. Even the Formula that Morrison provides is more explaining the concept of Anti-Life than how it works. But I think Kirby and later Morrison definitely elaborated on what they meant by Anti-Life and what it means for someone to lose their will or how something so cartoonishly evil like Darkseid can win without ever really doing all that much. It's what elevates the formula from being some MacGuffin to actually being scary because it's real.

EDIT: I'll actually argue against myself. I think there is stuff in Snyder's work that connects to the ideas of Anti-Life like that woman Cyborg helps who is being crushed by the indifference of the world. I don't feel like the film really makes the connections between that and the Fourth World business.

I feel like the connection to ALE and Apokalyps was made all the way back in MoS. This has been my pet theory for a while

Krypton is kinda similar to Apokalyps.
The people are culturally brainwashed and are unable to exercise free will and escape the dogma of their culture. A lot of the designs of Krypton are inspired from insects, their homes kind of look like insects hives etc, basically Kryptonians bad become drones sapped of free will and humanity. Er, kryptonianity?

This ties into the Parademons, former sentient beings deprived of free will. They look like giant bugs.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I mean, if we want a view into a perverted DCEU that's been sapped of all joy and creativity Josstice League is right there.

Josstice League being the ALE makes sense

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The parademons are a perfect example of how to do the Fourth World stuff. Their introduction in BVS requires practically no explanation - they are a potential terminus of the whole "Batman" thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The ALE is great because it's a real thing, we just dont usually call it something goofy like that. The soup of emotions and situation, of impotence in the face of crushing despair & apathy that inspires people to support eccentric powerful figures because they might have the power to change things, for better or worse. The equation is just a great stroke of brevity by an artist whos work is famous for being forward and punctual.

I don't really care for Morrison's attempt at defining these feelings that go into the equation, because there's always going to be unique unaccountable factors into the equation that leads to someone supporting a Darkseid, and excising them makes it lose that magic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

McCloud posted:

I feel like the connection to ALE and Apokalyps was made all the way back in MoS. This has been my pet theory for a while

Krypton is kinda similar to Apokalyps.
The people are culturally brainwashed and are unable to exercise free will and escape the dogma of their culture. A lot of the designs of Krypton are inspired from insects, their homes kind of look like insects hives etc, basically Kryptonians bad become drones sapped of free will and humanity. Er, kryptonianity?

This ties into the Parademons, former sentient beings deprived of free will. They look like giant bugs.
Krypton honestly looks a lot like traditional depictions of Apokolips when it's being destroyed. A crazy nonsensical twist in which Krypton was not fully destroyed somehow and literally is Apokolips would be dope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

The ALE is great because it's a real thing, we just dont usually call it something goofy like that. The soup of emotions and situation, of impotence in the face of crushing despair & apathy that inspires people to support eccentric powerful figures because they might have the power to change things, for better or worse. The equation is just a great stroke of brevity by an artist whos work is famous for being forward and punctual.

I don't really care for Morrison's attempt at defining these feelings that go into the equation, because there's always going to be unique unaccountable factors into the equation that leads to someone supporting a Darkseid, and excising them makes it lose that magic.

I get where you're coming from but that's never been Morrison's M.O.: "all of it happened" is more the key to reading their work.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Krypton honestly looks a lot like traditional depictions of Apokolips when it's being destroyed. A crazy nonsensical twist in which Krypton was not fully destroyed somehow and literally is Apokolips would be dope.

This could be cool but I don't know if I'd want it in a hypothetical next few justice league movies since we already had two movies in a row where Superman has to kill the last remnant of his people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

With that said, I don't really admonish people who find the concept of Anti-Life to be corny in JL. It's not very explained and I don't really really feel like Snyder was really indulging in the overt grotesque fasco-capitalist nightmares that you find in Kirby and Morrison's depiction of Fourth World stuff. I think Cyborg's temptation at the end gets the closest there.

It's kind-of poorly explained because it's over-explained, but the key point is that the boxes aren't actually "destroying" the world. There is of course the enormous blue shockwave, but the boxes are breaking things down in order to rebuild and reshape them. So, as with Superman, nobody's really dying. The Unity is a form of Singularity, where the individuals are united with the boxes and the boxes with them, and the solid ground of the earth evaporates into a "utility fog".

This is why Cyborg is "the heart of the film". It's not because he's most cuddly, but precisely because he's already closest to that danger. See the bit where the computer in his brain takes over control of his limbs.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao which one of these movies was being called "monochrome" again

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 1, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Augus posted:

Looks garish to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Augus posted:

This does remind me of how insanely bad Steppenwolf's forcefield/everything looked in the Whedon version, like crazy disjointed and the forcefield thing itself was visibly going at like 20FPS and really jarring and ugly to me. It always felt especially bad to me because even as a rushed re-shoot, they consciously chose to go for that like pulsing hexagon pattern to it and it looked horrible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Augus posted:

The bottom one is pretty grey, whichever version it's from

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Necrothatcher posted:

it's depressing that the hellish dystopia of ten years ago is basically just boring old regular life now

Branding is way off.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Augus posted:

Ah yeah, the quip-preserving fog. Had to be added across the entire sequence, because Joss didn't realize Flash asking "did you guys see what's going on outside" doesn't work when he's essentially standing in front of giant windows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Ah yeah, the quip-preserving fog. Had to be added across the entire sequence, because Joss didn't realize Flash asking "did you guys see what's going on outside" doesn't work when he's essentially standing in front of giant windows.

Lmao

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Robot Style posted:

Robot Style you are a blessing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Xealot posted:

Branding is way off.

Lol

Robot Style posted:

Double lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh is the monochrome one the Whedon version? I thought it looked better despite the lack of color lol so I assumed it was Snyder's