Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CloFan posted:

Hm. I guess I didn't realize you could SLI without a bridge like the olden days. Thanks!

Might be worth checking it's not supposed to have an SLI bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to resurrect an old Lenovo X230 tonight. I never expected it to boot up, but it did, against all odds.

Problem is that its hard drive is PGP encrypted and I've forgotten the password.

If I remove the drive and slap in a blank/empty SSD, and then put my Windows 10 installer into the USB drive, should I be able to reinstall Windows and reuse the laptop even if I write off the old drive? Or does PGP encryption persist at the hardware/BIOS level or something?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You should be good to go unless you're locked out of the bios or something

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Do you even need to replace the disk? If its a 5400RPM itd make sense, but Id think the Windows install media would be able to erase it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's still a spinny platter HDD so I wanted to replace it with an SSD

I actually wasn't expecting any of this to work and I only got it to boot up for 5 minutes last night so I don't know if it's even stable enough to use long-term

I will report back with results

EDIT: It worked!

I did some quick research and it turns out the X230 only supports Windows 7, with lots of people reporting that they've never been able to get Windows 10 working on these things ever, so I had to create a Windows 7 bootable USB, but everything else went off without a hitch. I got to install the OS, installed drivers with Snappy Driver, and so on. CPU-Z reports that it's an i3-3110M (Ivy Bridge, 2c4t), and I did a stress test to verify that the fan was working and the laptop wasn't overheating (it wasn't).

The only problems are that the battery is more than half dead (this laptop dates back to 2013, so no surprise) and that I didn't have any replacement thermal pads for the GPU die so it's actually slathered in thermal paste - it runs a little warmer than the CPU at 50ish C but I don't think it'll overheat, but given that this was my first ever experience opening up a laptop, breaking it down right to the motherboard, repasting the bare dies, and building back up something that hadn't powered on for at least three years, it's a miracle that I've gotten as far as I have.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 28, 2021

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I think the following is more of a hardware question than a tech support or monitor/display question. Im also feeling like the answer should be simply, so Ive decided to post here.

In the following setup-

-Two monitors
-Two dedicated GPUs (same model)
-One internal GPU (i7 k series)

Is it better to:

A) Connect both monitors to one dedicated GPU
B) Connect one monitor to each dedicated GPU
C) Connect one monitor to a dedicated GPU, and the other monitor to the internal GPU

Intuitively, B seemed like the best option. But what research Ive scraped together (often conflicting) suggests Windows 10 renders the full desktop on one GPU before output. So B ends up being the unambiguously worst option. But its unclear if A or C is better because apparently internal, on chip GPUs wont be subject to this issue? And there may be benefit to offloading less intensive second monitor duties to it?

Secondarily, is it actually better to disable the onboard video and audio if they arent being used?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PoizenJam posted:

So I think the following is more of a hardware question than a tech support or monitor/display question. Im also feeling like the answer should be simply, so Ive decided to post here.

In the following setup-

-Two monitors
-Two dedicated GPUs (same model)
-One internal GPU (i7 k series)

Is it better to:

A) Connect both monitors to one dedicated GPU
B) Connect one monitor to each dedicated GPU
C) Connect one monitor to a dedicated GPU, and the other monitor to the internal GPU

Intuitively, B seemed like the best option. But what research Ive scraped together (often conflicting) suggests Windows 10 renders the full desktop on one GPU before output. So B ends up being the unambiguously worst option. But its unclear if A or C is better because apparently internal, on chip GPUs wont be subject to this issue? And there may be benefit to offloading less intensive second monitor duties to it?

Secondarily, is it actually better to disable the onboard video and audio if they arent being used?

You just plug them into one GPU and disable the i-gpu.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

PoizenJam posted:

Video yes, especially if you're overclocking. Audio less so, there's no harm in disabling it if you're not using it but it also probably won't really do anything meaningful for system performance.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Can I get a recommendation for a 2 TB external drive? Also can I get away with a HDD for an external, or do SSDs make more sense? Speed is not a huge concern atm.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If speed doesnt matter you can just get this.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...T&skuId=6406513

$59.99

The 5TB is only $40 though more

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Personally I only use metal enclosures. USB 3 switching can interfere with 5 GHz WiFi, as well as other types of consumer wireless stuff that works in the 5 GHz range. A well designed controller helps, and so do cables with ferrites on them (the cylinders near the plugs) and a metal case. You'll likely be fine with most unshielded enclosures as well - but in case you lose connection to your USB harddrive when you turn on your WiFi, or you can't use your wireless mouse when you plug in the harddrive, you know where the cause likely lies.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Edit: Wrong thread.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 30, 2021

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Just got an iPhone 12 mini with 5G. I get 200mbit/s at my workshop which makes me want to cancel my landline since I have an unlimited data plan with extra sim card.

Anyone got a recommendation for a sub-300$ 5G modem that has at least one ethernet port?

All I can find online is 400$+ stuff and it just feels weird that my iPhone, which has an OLED display, 3 cameras, an extremely powerful ARM SoC, and a loving LiDar, and is "only" twice as expensive.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You might try asking in the Home Networking Megathread

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not a hardware question but, in this 1978 Sci-Fi novel I am reading, it mentions the person has "a billion words of storage".
I do recall, from the olden times, that a "word" is X amount of bytes, but I don't remember exactly. Anyone have that knowledge on hand?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Depends on the architecture.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
In x86 land, a "word" is still defined as 16 bits with 32 being a "double word" (dword) and 64 being a "quadruple word" (qword).

With this definition, we're talking 2 GB (base 10) for a billion 16-bit words.

x86 was introduced in 1978 so perhaps that's the best contextual answer :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Something I found myself wondering after being reminded of it in a different thread:

I have not been a Windows/PC guy much in years, but when I last was, it seemed like the great deals on certain CPUs, motherboards, and CPU/mobo combos that used to be fairly common had mostly dried up. Taking a peek at Micro Center's site suggests this is still the case. What happened? For a time, it was fairly easy to find certain mid-level (but still good) CPUs and entry level boards on sale in the $100 range for the combo, but now you can't get a board and CPU together for much less than double that. Where'd the killer BYOPC deals go?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

davidbix posted:

Something I found myself wondering after being reminded of it in a different thread:

I have not been a Windows/PC guy much in years, but when I last was, it seemed like the great deals on certain CPUs, motherboards, and CPU/mobo combos that used to be fairly common had mostly dried up. Taking a peek at Micro Center's site suggests this is still the case. What happened? For a time, it was fairly easy to find certain mid-level (but still good) CPUs and entry level boards on sale in the $100 range for the combo, but now you can't get a board and CPU together for much less than double that. Where'd the killer BYOPC deals go?

People being stuck at home / working from home all of a sudden severely increased the amount of computers wanted / needed.
Along with global chip shortages, all the deals have basically been bought up and stores have little incentive to offer a deal for what little stock they do get. Because anything will sell, even at inflated prices.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Said CPUs were a generation behind and on a different process than the then newest one. Since they weren't topping any charts they had to be priced very competitively to move. Now current gen and current gen-1 CPUs are on the same process so they're directly competing for fab capacity, which is AMD's limiting factor right now. Therefore, the N-1 CPUs aren't being made like they were before (if at all), and they're more performant than the N-2 CPUs that were the dirt cheap ones, so they don't need as much of a price cut to sell. For a brief while there were things being sold as N-3 CPUs that were actually N-2 CPUs but for whatever reason they still had to put out "first-gen" parts, and you could get them for like half the price of the identical but differently branded version.

Plus all the shortages 'n' poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting some great advice in the GPU thread on more case fans for my PC and I wanna pull the trigger, but my question is, do the fans come with their own screws or will I have to look for screws that came with the case?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been getting some great advice in the GPU thread on more case fans for my PC and I wanna pull the trigger, but my question is, do the fans come with their own screws or will I have to look for screws that came with the case?

Noctuas do, and IMO, theyre worth the money. Im not sure that the Arctics the folks in the GPU thread have also recommended. Ill bet your temps will be better with even just one exhaust fan in addition to your existing intake one. Which case do you have anyway?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nitsuga posted:

Noctuas do, and IMO, they’re worth the money. I’m not sure that the Arctic’s the folks in the GPU thread have also recommended. I’ll bet your temps will be better with even just one exhaust fan in addition to your existing intake one. Which case do you have anyway?

I'm pretty sure it's this one

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=528

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Every single fan I've ever bought have come with screws since the cases generally don't come with them.

I had both Nocturas and cheap Artic fans in my server case and can't really tell the difference in airflow. I ended up switching over to only cheap Artic fans when I redid the layout.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool. Yeah, so if you wanted to get as much airflow as possible, I'd put two 140mm fans up front and move the 120mm to the back. You could also replace the included 120mm, but I don't see the harm in trying out this setup and seeing if noise levels and temperatures meet your needs first. If FCKGW's experience hold true, you shouldn't need to worry about screws.

As far as fans go, I'd recommend these:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-PWM-PST-Pressure-optimised-dp-B07GZJY4TM/dp/B07GZJY4TM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
https://smile.amazon.com/JBtek-Blac...ctronics&sr=1-3 (Splitters for the Arctics if needed)

or

https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+a14&qid=1617307736&sr=8-3 (Which include a splitter)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

admiraldennis posted:

In x86 land, a "word" is still defined as 16 bits with 32 being a "double word" (dword) and 64 being a "quadruple word" (qword).

With this definition, we're talking 2 GB (base 10) for a billion 16-bit words.

x86 was introduced in 1978 so perhaps that's the best contextual answer :)

hey sorry, I never came back in here and thanked you.

Thank you for the information, Admiral Dennis!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

nitsuga posted:

Cool. Yeah, so if you wanted to get as much airflow as possible, I'd put two 140mm fans up front and move the 120mm to the back. You could also replace the included 120mm, but I don't see the harm in trying out this setup and seeing if noise levels and temperatures meet your needs first. If FCKGW's experience hold true, you shouldn't need to worry about screws.

As far as fans go, I'd recommend these:

https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P14-PWM-PST-Pressure-optimised-dp-B07GZJY4TM/dp/B07GZJY4TM/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
https://smile.amazon.com/JBtek-Blac...ctronics&sr=1-3 (Splitters for the Arctics if needed)

or

https://smile.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-Premium-Cooling/dp/B00CP6QLY6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=noctua+a14&qid=1617307736&sr=8-3 (Which include a splitter)

Thank you for the advice. I've just ordered a pair of the Arctic fans and a splitter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can actually daisy chain those fans, they dont even need a splitter (I use the 90mm version in my server case)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

You can actually daisy chain those fans, they dont even need a splitter (I use the 90mm version in my server case)

right but don't I need a splitter so that I can still use the fan that came with the case? so it'd be like:

* CPU fan goes into the CPU header
* Arctic fan 1 is daisy-chained into Arctic fan 2
* Arctic fan 2 goes into the splitter
* the included case fan also goes into the splitter
* the splitter goes into the case fan header

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ah, not sure. I assumed your motherboard came with more than one case fan header.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

gradenko_2000 posted:

right but don't I need a splitter so that I can still use the fan that came with the case? so it'd be like:

* CPU fan goes into the CPU header
* Arctic fan 1 is daisy-chained into Arctic fan 2
* Arctic fan 2 goes into the splitter
* the included case fan also goes into the splitter
* the splitter goes into the case fan header

Note that lots of case fans are simple 3 pin DC fans, where most noctua/etc fans you buy online are fancier PWM fans. You can't mix the two types on a single splitter (well, technically you can, but the DC fans will run at 100% speed the whole time).

The difference is DC fans vary their RPM by adjusting the DC voltage, PWM fans keep the DC voltage fixed and instead vary the RPM by shutting it entirely on and off at varying frequencies in electronics right on the fan motor. Both types have their pros and cons but are ultimately roughly equivalent. The main advantage PWM has is it allows the usage of a fan hub with an auxiliary power source to control many more fans than can be powered by a typical motherboard fan header. The limit on a motherboard header is usually 3 fans of either type, but if you have a PWM hub with a SATA power plug as its power source it can control dozens of fans from a single header.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Not a new issue but something I've just gotten round to thinking about - my PC case is an old Coolermaster Silencio that has a front USB 3.0 port. The connector for it is a standard male usb cable and because I don't have a matching header on my motherboard I've just run it out of the back of the case and into one of the back USB ports, which works fine although it ties up one of those ports which isn't ideal.

The relevant USB 3.0 front panel header on my mobo (MSI B450 Tomahawk) is a 19 pin one. Is there an adapter I could use to connect these directly? I've tried searching but all I'm finding are 19 pin to 20 pin adapters for USB headers.

Edit: and of course as soon as I post I find something that looks better - I think this should work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005Y81RW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_KQQPJTQM8V4HTXR3GJR3

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 3, 2021

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I have a Lenovo P53 that is experiencing very strong thermal throttling in games.

Outside games it can happily hover at 90-100C temperature on high performance power plan, at 4 GHz. In games, it rapidly throttles to <1 GHz and stays around 50C in temperature. If I set the power plan to balanced, it hangs around at 3GHz and 50-70C at consistent (lower) FPS. What do I do to reduce the thermal throttling at high performance power plan? It just seems far too aggressive and twitchy at throttling.

Edit: Oh, Intel has some Xtreme Tuning Utility - turning thresholds down so that it current throttles before thermal throttling fixed it! Now I have nice consistent perfornance.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 4, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I just had a weird crash on my 3+ year old desktop, followed by being unable to boot. Is there some sort of "download to USB" diagnostic tool I could get to try and figure out what's wrong with it? Not sure if I can get it to the shop.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Artelier posted:

So I just had a weird crash on my 3+ year old desktop, followed by being unable to boot. Is there some sort of "download to USB" diagnostic tool I could get to try and figure out what's wrong with it? Not sure if I can get it to the shop.

If you have access to another PC, Id try making a Windows 10 USB installer and then using WinRE to try fixing the startup issue.

Windows 10 Installation Media: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d
WinRE: https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/w/windows-recovery-environment.htm or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/performance/use-winre-to-troubleshoot-startup-issue

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My boomer parents need a new desktop PC to replace a very, very old Dell. The plan is to get them another Dell and a 27" screen to go with it. Use case is basically general web surfing and spreadsheets, plus some light photo/video archiving.

I could possibly kill two birds with one stone here by getting them a Dell "All-in-one" PC. For example,
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-27-7000-black-all-in-one-with-bipod-stand/spd/inspiron-27-7700-aio/na7700ejxlh
(not picking this particular model, but just linking for those who don't know what they are)

But, I've never bought/used an all-in-one PC before. I'm somewhat skeptical about having the screen be part of the PC, for repairability reasons. But I guess with the cost savings, they could get an extended warranty (heh).

Has anyone here bought or serviced a Dell All-in-one, and if so, what are your opinions on them?

edit: hmm apparently even the 27" AIO screens are only FHD (1080p), so, forget it

pmchem fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 11, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

pmchem posted:

My boomer parents need a new desktop PC to replace a very, very old Dell. The plan is to get them another Dell and a 27" screen to go with it. Use case is basically general web surfing and spreadsheets, plus some light photo/video archiving.

I could possibly kill two birds with one stone here by getting them a Dell "All-in-one" PC. For example,
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/inspiron-27-7000-black-all-in-one-with-bipod-stand/spd/inspiron-27-7700-aio/na7700ejxlh
(not picking this particular model, but just linking for those who don't know what they are)

But, I've never bought/used an all-in-one PC before. I'm somewhat skeptical about having the screen be part of the PC, for repairability reasons. But I guess with the cost savings, they could get an extended warranty (heh).

Has anyone here bought or serviced a Dell All-in-one, and if so, what are your opinions on them?

edit: hmm apparently even the 27" AIO screens are only FHD (1080p), so, forget it

All-in-ones are okay for the footprint but at upgrade time, yeah you're right; you basically have to toss the whole unit since the interior is essentially a laptop motherboard (designed to fit the AIO) strapped to the back of a monitor. I'd discourage anyone from buying them unless they're okay with spending more at every upgrade.

I'd keep an eye on https://www.techbargains.com/ for Dell sales. Right now it looks like it's mostly laptops and alienware with RTX cards but a couple of times a week they'll have dell and/or dell outlet deals listed. I actually did get my dad a 27" 1080p screen and he's happy with it because his vision isn't great but you'd be a better judge of what your parents would like. He's also on an old Dell i7-4790 optiplex that got replaced at an office I do work at. I'd say the only thing you HAVE to get your parents is a computer with a SSD. With that it will barely matter what the hardware is, it will always feel fast (although I usually spec out an i5 with 8GB of RAM at minimum beyond that).

edit: woot has some refurbished lenovo SFF units right now with haswell. Not sure if that would fit the bill and how you feel about refurbs, but might be worth a look (they're now owned by amazon so if you have prime it ships free): https://sellout.woot.com/offers/lenovo-m93-sff-intel-i7-desktop

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Almost 3 years ago I bought my parents a matching pair of Dell Optiplex 9020 AIOs. A bit on the old side but seems to suit their needs just fine. I got them refurbed from the Dell Outlet and they were like $340 each. I manually replaced the HDDs with SSDs and added 4GB RAM modules to up the total to 8 apiece. So it's worth your while to check the outlet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I got 50% off via Brad's Deals.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

Maybe easier to just get them a Chromebook and a monitor, add mouse and keyboard if wanted. Depends on how much you want to help them run windows. Google photos, docs (and other online alternatives) basically cover all the bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LRADIKAL posted:

Maybe easier to just get them a Chromebook and a monitor, add mouse and keyboard if wanted. Depends on how much you want to help them run windows. Google photos, docs (and other online alternatives) basically cover all the bases.

I assume the parents are fairly accustomed to windows. You can always strap a thin client to the back of a monitor as well, kind of a homebrew AIO without some of the inherent issues.