Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Andos El Pantos posted:

It does get a little creepy sometimes when he's tired but still barely awake and lays on his back staring directly into the camera with the ultra bright eyes that nightvision gives people.

It’s amityville level poo poo for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Having 3 kids under 2 years old has been pretty crazy. I wonder how 4 kids would be since the jump from 2 to 3 seemed like a big jump.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Andos El Pantos posted:

It does get a little creepy sometimes when he's tired but still barely awake and lays on his back staring directly into the camera with the ultra bright eyes that nightvision gives people.

I have a collection of screenshots from my baby monitor app of my kid twisted into weird contortions, staring directly up at the camera with piercingly bright demon eyes.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
We only have an audio monitor and while I’ve never felt like I needed a video feed for actual parenting reasons I do kinda wish I could watch him do silly slug moves in his sleep.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

After my kid has been doing somersaults in the crib for about 15 min I figure I should get her up for the day. Video monitor helps me figure out where that line is to maximize my own in-bed time :coffeepal:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Yeah my kid just screams bloody murder immediately upon waking up so nothing to be gained there for me. :(

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I like to peek in and see her lil sleep butt in the air because it's extremely cute

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

External Organs posted:

I like to peek in and see her lil sleep butt in the air because it's extremely cute

No idea how kids sleep like that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

life is killing me posted:

No idea how kids sleep like that

I tried to get into the position a few weeks ago and laughed and laughed.

They're made of rubber, op

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wizzardstaff posted:

Spring is here and it's great! Our yard is big and beautiful and the kid loves to run around in the warm weather. She's getting tons of exercise and fresh air and she's so happy.

Spring is here and it stinks! The big, beautiful yard is much more appealing than naps, dinner, or anything else in the house...but not more appealing than a tantrum at the suggestion she come inside.

Well, to be fair, all of that can be done in the yard, technically. Snacks and meals are just the beginning. I draw the line at showers, though. And at ca 14 months, she stopped being able to nap in her stroller so that's out, too.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

External Organs posted:

We'll get the air butt every now and then but most nights he's sprawled out on his back so hard it looks like he was blasted back by an explosion.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
With her 3rd birthday around the corner, I figured that this would be a good time to introduce her to computers.

Full screen Notepad and pressing keys to make letters appear on the screen was fun at first, but then I had the less than brilliant idea to search for some typing edutainment games. I didn't realize at the time that the ones she likes only run a limited amount of times and then require a subscription to education.com or similar.

Are there any age appropriate, keyboard only games that can be bought once, like on Steam? Mouse input could work as well, but she cannot figure out a touchpad yet. We'd rather not go down the phone game rabbit hole just yet either.

edit: it's massively easier to search for these things when there isn't a toddler on your knee. who knew. but i'm finding some decent free ones online at least.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 1, 2021

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our 5-year-old is starting to get on my nerves. She wears pull-ups for bed, and we've been making her try to pee every night before we turn off the light. Most of the time nothing happens. Same thing tonight, except 45 minutes after I left, she had an accident. So she definitely had to pee, and she may have even still been awake. How can we encourage her to pee when she ought to? She hasn't had accidents during the day in well over a year.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

hooah posted:

Our 5-year-old is starting to get on my nerves. She wears pull-ups for bed, and we've been making her try to pee every night before we turn off the light. Most of the time nothing happens. Same thing tonight, except 45 minutes after I left, she had an accident. So she definitely had to pee, and she may have even still been awake. How can we encourage her to pee when she ought to? She hasn't had accidents during the day in well over a year.

Stop with the pull-ups, and have her help with the laundry cleanup for the inevitable peed beds. If she’s truly developmentally not ready, then it’ll be clear after a week or two and you can try again after a few months.

Prepare for a lot of laundry. Get a couple good waterproof covers. We just went through this with my six year old - there was some habit and laziness there to break, for sure, and also a definite aspect of developmental readiness.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

a podcast for cats posted:

With her 3rd birthday around the corner, I figured that this would be a good time to introduce her to computers.

Full screen Notepad and pressing keys to make letters appear on the screen was fun at first, but then I had the less than brilliant idea to search for some typing edutainment games. I didn't realize at the time that the ones she likes only run a limited amount of times and then require a subscription to education.com or similar.

Are there any age appropriate, keyboard only games that can be bought once, like on Steam? Mouse input could work as well, but she cannot figure out a touchpad yet. We'd rather not go down the phone game rabbit hole just yet either.

edit: it's massively easier to search for these things when there isn't a toddler on your knee. who knew. but i'm finding some decent free ones online at least.

The old humongous entertainment games are in steam. My little girl loves the Putt Putt games.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Before I had kids, I had this sexist assumption that girls were all sugar and spice and that having daughters would be "easier" than sons. This was mainly sexism and conformation bias on my part I think-as a kid I didn't recall a lot of times girls were getting in trouble or fighting with their sisters.

Boy was I wrong about that one! Turns out my wife and several of my friends had plenty of anecdotes of having royal rumbles with their sisters over all sorts of issues. My wife was one of four girls, and describes forming fickle little coalitions to gang up on their oldest sister when she refused to return a hairbrush she borrowed or tried to lock them out of the bathroom and stuff. I discovered firsthand that girls are just as capable of being little hellions to each other as boys are.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

My sisters would go crazy and start roughhousing every Sunday afternoon like clockwork until at least one of them was in tears.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So, Ferber sleep training works for sleeping 7-8 hours at night at a stretch. Does anyone let the kid fuss for a few minutes if they wake up after 15-20 minutes into their nap? I'm thinking about trying it, since a full REM cycle is like 45ish, and he could just sleep for that long at a go, he might be a little better by the end of the day.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Panfilo posted:

Before I had kids, I had this sexist assumption that girls were all sugar and spice and that having daughters would be "easier" than sons. This was mainly sexism and conformation bias on my part I think-as a kid I didn't recall a lot of times girls were getting in trouble or fighting with their sisters.

Boy was I wrong about that one! Turns out my wife and several of my friends had plenty of anecdotes of having royal rumbles with their sisters over all sorts of issues. My wife was one of four girls, and describes forming fickle little coalitions to gang up on their oldest sister when she refused to return a hairbrush she borrowed or tried to lock them out of the bathroom and stuff. I discovered firsthand that girls are just as capable of being little hellions to each other as boys are.

Saw it on Reddit or Twitter a little while ago that parents of daughters stand a higher chance of divorce if the father didn't have sisters growing up.

Probably related.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Joey Steel posted:

So, Ferber sleep training works for sleeping 7-8 hours at night at a stretch. Does anyone let the kid fuss for a few minutes if they wake up after 15-20 minutes into their nap? I'm thinking about trying it, since a full REM cycle is like 45ish, and he could just sleep for that long at a go, he might be a little better by the end of the day.

I can only provide my personal experience which is that at night our kid will reliably go back to sleep after at most 10 minutes of fussing, but “cry it out” has never once worked for a ruined nap.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Joey Steel posted:

Yes. I have no idea what happens at daycare because I'm not there, but on the weekends daughter usually wakes up a half hour into her nap. We ignore her unless she sounds distressed. After she realizes we are not coming for her, she gets back in bed and goes back to sleep. Ideally, we aim for 2 hours since she dropped to 1 nap a day.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I just kind of thought everyone mounted theirs on the wall. It’s a necessity when the kiddos become mobile because it will get messed with

I had convenient shelves so it wasn't necessary, but you need a high vantage point for sure.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

My son just threw an absolute fit about being offered chili for dinner, screaming in our faces for minutes while we tried to remind him he liked it before. We broke down and gave him his favorite, a banana. Now he’s happily dipping pieces of banana in the chili. :confused:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joey Steel posted:

Worked a treat for us. We didn't try and push it too hard, if he woke up mid-nap we'd do the progressive waiting but not more than the nap would have been if it went a full sleep cycle. So a wake up at 20mins meant at most two ten minute waits since after that you're at 40 minutes and the nap would be done anyway.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I taught my daughter to say “rooty-toot” instead of fart or just plain toot, and I highly recommend it. “Did you poop?” “No, just a rooty-toot.” But said in an adorable two year old voice.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Koivunen posted:

I taught my daughter to say “rooty-toot” instead of fart or just plain toot, and I highly recommend it. “Did you poop?” “No, just a rooty-toot.” But said in an adorable two year old voice.

See now this is the kind of parenting advice that I need and want

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Today my awful, for the first time ever my baby just screamed bloody murder and could not be consoled. It sounded like he was in pain, and we couldn’t figure out what it was until we checked his diaper. He had a tiny bit of diaper rash, I can only assume that is what was bothering him. But good lord that was terrifying.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I investigate cries sociopathicly. Like I just stare at him real blank faced and ask questions as to what this cry is about and poke at a couple of things, easily extending the cry until I can describe it. Checklist brain takes over.

For food cries I very much insist that lil dude has to wait for the bottle to warm up. It is a 5 minute cycle, he's a newborn who doesn't have tastebuds yet. The kabuki of warming up a bottle in a machine steamer is largely performative for my sake. That consistency won't be remembered by him, but it'll be remembered by me in a few months when he gets more verbs.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My husband and I were talking about the Matt Gaetz thing in front of my 10-year old and he started asking questions, what he did that was so bad, etc. We didn't go into details, but it spiraled into a basic talk about ages of consent and the birds and the bees. We've never been shy about using the proper names for their genitals, which is great when your toddler screams PENIS! because she knows it will get a reaction. But I'm just not prepared for their teenage years! My 8-year old is already asking for a phone and I shudder to think what she'll eventually find in her beloved Google searches.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BadSamaritan posted:

See now this is the kind of parenting advice that I need and want

We've been using "tootsie poot" from the start. Ever since he started talking though he used that knowledge to call out mine. I mean who cares if you fart in front of a baby I'm alone with all day on weekdays, but if now he's gonna put me on blast I gotta act like I'm in polite company.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

remigious posted:

Today my awful, for the first time ever my baby just screamed bloody murder and could not be consoled. It sounded like he was in pain, and we couldn’t figure out what it was until we checked his diaper. He had a tiny bit of diaper rash, I can only assume that is what was bothering him. But good lord that was terrifying.

I remember one evening when our first was a few months old and was absolutely screaming the house down red faced totally inconsolable, we're both fretting and we're pondering going to the hospital. I can't remember how long it took but I think we had him laid out on the coffee table & baby mat trying to think what the gently caress else to do, then I tried rubbing his stomach in a swirly motion and gently stroking his head and he eeeeeventually calmed down... so it was quite possibly a case of bad gas or constipation.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yesterday at Easter dinner with my wife’s family, my son, who is potty-trained, had four poop accidents. We actually had to wash clothes at my brother-in-law’s house because we didn’t bring enough clean clothes because we planned for basically a pee accident, which he’s been having more of. He hasn’t had a poop accident in months.

Could it be antibiotics? He’s on them for tonsillitis.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

a podcast for cats posted:

My 5yo has only seen "real" kid games at the library. At home she's mostly content to play Notepad, Paint and Scratch Jr. (Windows port).

Occasionally we play games together on the office computer like Planet Zoo, Farming Simulator, etc. Or Pokemon Red.

I did buy a small mouse for her. For a while she was using a compact travel mouse.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Yesterday at Easter dinner with my wife’s family, my son, who is potty-trained, had four poop accidents. We actually had to wash clothes at my brother-in-law’s house because we didn’t bring enough clean clothes because we planned for basically a pee accident, which he’s been having more of. He hasn’t had a poop accident in months.

Antibiotics is basically 'you're gonna poop and it's gonna suck' the drug

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Yes, it’s almost certainly the antibiotics. You could try giving him yogurt or some other kind of probiotic food/drink a couple times a day, but antibiotics can definitely cause pooptastrophies. Unfortunately you (both) may just have to suffer until the antibiotics are gone.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of poop our daughter has taken to telling us she has a cupcake in her diaper when she poops. No idea where she learned it from but it is funny when we open her diaper and she yells it's a cupcake. Or one time it was chocolate.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
This morning I was lying in bed snuggled up with husband, eyes closed, indulging in some pretty putrid dirty talk.

From next to me ‘Mummy?’

I shrieked.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

femcastra posted:

This morning I was lying in bed snuggled up with husband, eyes closed, indulging in some pretty putrid dirty talk.

From next to me ‘Mummy?’

I shrieked.

My worst nightmare is being walked in on by our kid. But your scenario is almost as bad

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

femcastra posted:

From next to me ‘Mummy?’

I shrieked.

...putrid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

My worst nightmare is being walked in on by our kid. But your scenario is almost as bad

That's why we finally got a lock for our bedroom door. Before that, it was blocking the door with boxes and praying the kids weren't strong enough to force it open before we noticed their presence.