Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if you think about it, the mandalorian is kinda like a ninja

also there is an obi-wan show coming out with ewan mcgregor and hayden christensen, saving the latter from kinda crappy films mainly propped up by canadian film subsidies.

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1376534824219897862

also disney was planning some other tv stuff i can't remember but maybe someone else wants to post about. maybe people want to talk about those things! or not! i don't know! but the old mandalorian thread hasn't had any posts for like nine months so i figured maybe a broader thread would be good

edit: gently caress nine gear crow totally outdid my OP

nine-gear crow posted:

"Who are your people?"

"I... I don't have any people. I'm all alone."

"Alone, eh? So--"

"I mean I come from that dome over there, if that's what you're asking."

"Hmm."

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dude's covered in steel. Aint no ninja covered in steel.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

CainFortea posted:

Dude's covered in steel. Aint no ninja covered in steel.

Really?

:smugdog:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

See? They're all wearing lycra and plastic. No steel to be seen.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The steel is their swords! And they're mostly wearing their swords!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

josh04 posted:

Checkpoint guard looks up and sees a DOME, writes "Dome" in for thread surname.

"Who are your people?"

"I... I don't have any people. I'm all alone."

"Alone, eh? So--"

"I mean I come from that dome over there, if that's what you're asking."

"Hmm."

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
lmao

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Sorry Tv-Dome you're gonna have an uphill battle if you don't want to end up like original-trilogy dome. But we can't have two dome-domes!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

oh sex cult aunt beru is back

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

banned from Starbucks posted:

oh sex cult aunt beru is back

...what?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Star Wars Threadpisode III: Return of the Rising Revenge is off to the same quality start as most third-things in Star Wars trilogies I see.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"Piesse and her husband were members of the self-described American multi-level marketing company and cult NXIVM. The couple left the organization in 2017 and became NXIVM's most outspoken detractors.[3] Their departure from the cult is documented in The Vow, a documentary series for HBO"

Keith Raniere was convicted last year on charges stemming from his running of a cultlike group called Nxivm, in which a harem of sexual “slaves” were branded with his initials on their pelvises and coerced into having sex with him. These women were taught to revere him and were ordered to maintain near-starvation diets to achieve the physique he found desirable.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
so is obi-wan going to be good do you think, or just prequelmeme fanservice

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

so is obi-wan going to be good do you think, or just prequelmeme fanservice

I hope so. The lady who directed some of the best episodes of season 1 of mando is making it, and Ewan McGregor is great. I think prequelmeme fanservice is a probably given, hopefully it will be used sparingly.

I have no clue how they're gonna make a show about a space wizard sitting around in a hut being sad all his friends are dead, and occasionally looking over some blond farm kid from time to time compelling though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
My rule of thumb is the less Disney thinks a property is going to succeed the better chance it has at actually being good. This equation, when adjusted for Obi-Wan and the fact that as best I'm aware we don't have any new star wars movies currently in the pipeline.... seems bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm willing to guess based on the show runner's resume that it'll be entertaining.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

reignofevil posted:

My rule of thumb is the less Disney thinks a property is going to succeed the better chance it has at actually being good. This equation, when adjusted for Obi-Wan and the fact that as best I'm aware we don't have any new star wars movies currently in the pipeline.... seems bad.

Rian Johnson’s trilogy is still being developed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I'm willing to guess based on the show runner's resume that it'll be entertaining.

what makes you say this? I looked at her IMDb and she seems to be a tv director who rarely gets more than one episode of a series and hasn’t produced or written anything of note. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to be bad but I don’t see any compelling evidence for optimism

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

indigi posted:

Rian Johnson’s trilogy is still being developed

This is going to be the new live action Akira, lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

indigi posted:

what makes you say this? I looked at her IMDb and she seems to be a tv director who rarely gets more than one episode of a series and hasn’t produced or written anything of note. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to be bad but I don’t see any compelling evidence for optimism

Well, the episodes she did of Mando, which is the other star wars content she's worked on, were dope. So, given that I have no reason to assume she's going to be bad at making star wars tv shows, I think that trend will continue.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Well, the episodes she did of Mando, which is the other star wars content she's worked on, were dope. So, given that I have no reason to assume she's going to be bad at making star wars tv shows, I think that trend will continue.

The real question is how much influence will be expended on making the final product successful by the standards of some soulless, bloodless executive who doesn't know what makes good anything, let alone good tv.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

since Hayden Christensen is in this, it's going to turn out that Vader's "a presence I've not felt in a long time" was like a couple of weeks ago and he knew Kenobi was on Tatooine all along.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

but didn't ever get around to turning up there to kill him because

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cerv posted:

since Hayden Christensen is in this, it's going to turn out that Vader's "a presence I've not felt in a long time" was like a couple of weeks ago and he knew Kenobi was on Tatooine all along.

I mean Rogue One already ruined Leia’s attempt to lie to Vader when he comes aboard the Tantive IV at the start of A New Hope because he loving saw the drat thing haul rear end away from Scarif with the Death Star plans with his own robot eyes. So gently caress it, go hog wild with it.

Anything that pisses Star Wars fans off is a blast to watch.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerv posted:

I hope Hayden Christensen plays a frequent hallucination that taunts Obi-Wan the entire run of series as he succumbs to space madness.

nine-gear crow posted:

Scorched earth is a policy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Are you suuuure?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean Rogue One already ruined Leia’s attempt to lie to Vader when he comes aboard the Tantive IV at the start of A New Hope because he loving saw the drat thing haul rear end away from Scarif with the Death Star plans with his own robot eyes. So gently caress it, go hog wild with it.

Volunteering to watch the prequels, eh?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Volunteering to watch the prequels, eh?

Sure, why not? I've made my piece with them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they just establish an absolutely contradictory canon. Not like, "this new thing is incompatible with the original trilogy," but "this new thing makes episode 4 and 5 not make sense together any more." I want it to be at least as bad if not worse than the Zelda timeline.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tulip posted:

I hope they just establish an absolutely contradictory canon. Not like, "this new thing is incompatible with the original trilogy," but "this new thing makes episode 4 and 5 not make sense together any more." I want it to be at least as bad if not worse than the Zelda timeline.

I love the absolute bonkers and apparently Nintendo-endorsed idea that every time you die in Ocarina of Time, it creates a new divergent timeline where Ganon wins and they have gone on to base multiple games off of that idea.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the absolute bonkers and apparently Nintendo-endorsed idea that every time you die in Ocarina of Time, it creates a new divergent timeline where Ganon wins and they have gone on to base multiple games off of that idea.

:goonsay: OoT has 3 canonical time-outcomes, one where Ganon wins, one where you win go back in time to being a kid and prevent it from ever happening, and one where you win but stay an adult, all of which have had sequels (though most of the games in the you lose timeline came out before OoT). And then BotW said "Lmao, all the timelines end here. Don't ask how."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The legend of zelda is a story of the creator gods practicing a degree of negligence that is basically criminal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

:goonsay: OoT has 3 canonical time-outcomes, one where Ganon wins, one where you win go back in time to being a kid and prevent it from ever happening, and one where you win but stay an adult, all of which have had sequels (though most of the games in the you lose timeline came out before OoT). And then BotW said "Lmao, all the timelines end here. Don't ask how."

I just wish they'd make a Zelda game that didn't rehash the same plot over and over again no matter where it falls on the "timeline". BotW2 seems like it's on the cusp of maybe doing that, like Majora's Mask before it, but I fully expect it to turn into "Zelda's been captured or otherwise incapacitated again, you have to save her Link" with in like 10 minutes of firing up the game. Because Nintendo doesn't do ideas, they do gimmicks and window dressing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Plot?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Oh no, Princess Zelda has been captured by Ganon. You must save her, Link" x ∞

At this point I'd even settle of a lazyass "Oh no, Link has been captured by Ganon. You must save him, Zelda." swap. Hell, there's a really great mod for Breath of the Wild that does exactly that.

e: Or hell, give me a game where Link, Zelda, and Ganon have to work together for once again a non-Ganon big bad because it's called the loving TRIforce, why is it always 2-against-1 with this poo poo?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It was a rhetorical question. Go fight monsters.

(Or play Majora's Mask, I guess)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I just wish they'd make a Zelda game that didn't rehash the same plot over and over again no matter where it falls on the "timeline". BotW2 seems like it's on the cusp of maybe doing that, like Majora's Mask before it, but I fully expect it to turn into "Zelda's been captured or otherwise incapacitated again, you have to save her Link" with in like 10 minutes of firing up the game. Because Nintendo doesn't do ideas, they do gimmicks and window dressing.

people play Zelda games to be Link and kill Ganon. it sounds like you don’t enjoy Zelda games and shouldn’t play them

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

"Oh no, Princess Zelda has been captured by Ganon. You must save her, Link" x ∞

At this point I'd even settle of a lazyass "Oh no, Link has been captured by Ganon. You must save him, Zelda." swap. Hell, there's a really great mod for Breath of the Wild that does exactly that.

e: Or hell, give me a game where Link, Zelda, and Ganon have to work together for once again a non-Ganon big bad because it's called the loving TRIforce, why is it always 2-against-1 with this poo poo?

2vs1 but a different combination please. Zelda going, "All will love me, and despair." Link, the scientist with the courage to go Too Far(TM).

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Nintendo has never given any fucks in regards to a timeline, which is quite right and proper. They made the tri-split simply so that no fan guesses would have been correct. Same with BotW being in the "all of them" timeline, it's completely outside any fan's imagination to conceive of such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Star Wars Nintendo Wii-Vee Dome