Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Valeyard posted:

what about the figgy concerns though, is that looking good?

it's reasonable for the UK I guess

no security clearance either, though they do want an experian background check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

just do it, its great

the company im interviewing with just now (for a full time role) also have contract positions available, between 500 and 650 a day, they claim that people they have hired recently have been classified as outside IR35 so theres a good chance any new hires would be too, but no guarentee, it just seems so messy

if it was 12 month instead of 6 month that would be less scary

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

it's reasonable for the UK I guess

no security clearance either, though they do want an experian background check

it wasnt experian, but both banks ive worked at here in the UK have also used third party companies to do background checcks, i guess its not that uncommon

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

lots of the finance industry has contracts with clients that obligate them to run background checks on employees.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I spoke with a buddy who works at a place that passed on me and I found to my complete shock the brain teaser problem that I was told by the panel of developers watching and back seating me that it didn't matter if I came to the answer in the time limit actually mattered if I came to the answer in the time limit. This is my shocked face. loving hate interviewing.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I had a interview that was described as Systems Design for distributed high volume systems but it was just the classic design a multistory car park system question. How would you make this scalable? I dunno build a bigger loving car park I guess but until 12,000 cars are trying to park every second I don't think we need to worry too much.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Imagine a futuristic car park with flying cars, design a priority queue with emphasis on scaling, speed, and lack of mid air collisions.

goddamn I kinda want to ask that now

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Corla Plankun posted:

if the loss of one person meaningfully impacts the business of the company, that person's boss hosed up really badly and it doesn't reflect on the person leaving at all

It's gonna be so funny if I leave my current job (as the sole developer in the company) before rewriting all the lovely web applications and they have to find a replacement who has to get up to speed on both Groovy/Grails and Kotlin/Spring with nobody to help show them the ropes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Valeyard posted:

the company im interviewing with just now (for a full time role) also have contract positions available, between 500 and 650 a day, they claim that people they have hired recently have been classified as outside IR35 so theres a good chance any new hires would be too, but no guarentee, it just seems so messy

if it was 12 month instead of 6 month that would be less scary

Not sure how the UK system is set up but in Denmark it's basically a cheat code to double your income.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

Not sure how the UK system is set up but in Denmark it's basically a cheat code to double your income.

yeah, it kind of works like that here too. the jist of it is that in ideal circumstances you end up paying corporation tax (20%) rather than most of your income being hit with higher rate tax (40%)

but UK government for the last 2 years has been delaying changes to tax law to try and have these kind of contractors be classified as fulltime employees instead (for tax reasons), in 5 days time the new changes come into effect and it pushes the liability to each company to determine whether the contractor is truly an indepedent contractgor (outside scope of IR35 rule changes) or if they are actually closer to a fulltime employee masquarading as a contractgor (inside IR35, and get taxed like a fulltime employee)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Valeyard posted:

yeah, it kind of works like that here too. the jist of it is that in ideal circumstances you end up paying corporation tax (20%) rather than most of your income being hit with higher rate tax (40%)

but UK government for the last 2 years has been delaying changes to tax law to try and have these kind of contractors be classified as fulltime employees instead (for tax reasons), in 5 days time the new changes come into effect and it pushes the liability to each company to determine whether the contractor is truly an indepedent contractgor (outside scope of IR35 rule changes) or if they are actually closer to a fulltime employee masquarading as a contractgor (inside IR35, and get taxed like a fulltime employee)

doesn't sound like anyone will actually be re-classified unless the tory government (lol) puts the thumbscrews on them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/dreams_of_sloth/status/1377051721655066629
king

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

doesn't sound like anyone will actually be re-classified unless the tory government (lol) puts the thumbscrews on them

this is most likely the case, the problem is that companies will be on the hook if they decide the wrong classification, so its in their interest to do it properly

will be very interesting to see in the next 6 months what happens, our company already cut loose most of our contractors (or offered them perm roles)

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
What's the max lead time you've seen sometime needing before they start a new role? I have some commitments in the first week of July that prevent me from leaving my current role, but I don't want to wait until then to start looking. I don't want to cause myself headaches if it's too early to start.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Apply now and negotiate start date once you get to the offier stage. Everything has a price, including your price to break your commitments.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
in my last job, we hired a guy from another company that was making a bunch of redundancies, i think he signed his contract about 3/4 months before he was actually let go, that was an odd situation though

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
three months is nothing. plenty of hires take longer than that when a visa is involved. don't spring "oh i can't start until july" on people as a surprise when they make an offer but otherwise it's not going to be an issue for many companies. it will be an issue for some but it's not like it hurts you to start looking now. at worst they tell you that they want someone who can start sooner and then if june rolls around and you still don't have a job lined up and the position is still open you can re-apply.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

Apply now and negotiate start date once you get to the offier stage. Everything has a price, including your price to break your commitments.

but yeah i would start looking now too

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
in my experience it depends on seniority, juniors are expected to start asap but the more senior you are the more you can gently caress around between signing an offer and starting

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
my experience has been the opposite. new grads and interns are routinely hired 6 months to a year in advance and no one ever desperately needs a new junior employee.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
if i get to leave my current job anytime soon, i fully intent on asking for a 2 - 4 week break before starting new job (in addition to 1 month notice period)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got the 100% remote offer ive been searching for :toot:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

:yotj:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

TerminalRaptor posted:

What's the max lead time you've seen sometime needing before they start a new role? I have some commitments in the first week of July that prevent me from leaving my current role, but I don't want to wait until then to start looking. I don't want to cause myself headaches if it's too early to start.

fwiw, in large parts of europe a three month notice period is common for white collar workers (goes both ways, of course). the law usually allows for agreeing on something else with your employer but more seniority usually means longer notice periods (the logic is that it's harder to replace a more senior employee when they quit). on the flip side though many managers don't like notice periods being excessively long either since motivation and productivity usually drops towards the end.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yep, when hiring we assumed 4-5 months. 3 calendar months of notice + whatever was eaten up by the interviewing process itself.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I've been notified that I am no longer under consideration for a role I applied to for failure to complete the coding assessment in time. I applied to the job Saturday, got the assessment link Wednesday afternoon, and the rejection this morning. I had not even spoken to a recruiter yet. lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Jorbs posted:

I've been notified that I am no longer under consideration for a role I applied to for failure to complete the coding assessment in time. I applied to the job Saturday, got the assessment link Wednesday afternoon, and the rejection this morning. I had not even spoken to a recruiter yet. lol

love when the terrible places filter themselves out without you even having to lift a finger

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

barkbell posted:

Grats

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

PIZZA.BAT posted:

love when the terrible places filter themselves out without you even having to lift a finger

how do places like this ever hire people

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Steve Jorbs posted:

we use a platform where i work that does this. the timeout is not configurable (or if it is, our recruiters don't know how to change it). you can probably just email them and ask for a new link

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

the talent deficit posted:

we use a platform where i work that does this. the timeout is not configurable (or if it is, our recruiters don't know how to change it). you can probably just email them and ask for a new link

why would he do that

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PIZZA.BAT posted:

why would he do that

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the talent deficit posted:

As a person who has reviewed >600 resumes in the past 2 years and hired ~11 people (4 computer touchers). One who gives a simple, practical, similar to our real work coding test after a phone interview. gently caress any place that makes you do a coding test before speaking to you. gently caress them so hard. Don't work for them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

As a person who has reviewed >600 resumes in the past 2 years and hired ~11 people (4 computer touchers). One who gives a simple, practical, similar to our real work coding test after a phone interview. gently caress any place that makes you do a coding test before speaking to you. gently caress them so hard. Don't work for them.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cheque_some posted:

how do places like this ever hire people

i've always assumed that the candidates are as desperate as the company

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

raminasi posted:

i've always assumed that the candidates are as desperate as the company
Ya, they're self selecting for desperate people or people who happened to have no other obligations in their life in the next 24 hours.

Also, got another request to take a coding assessment through Codility before speaking to a human:

quote:

1. There are 4 tasks in the test. You can solve them in any order.
2. There's no option to pause. Make sure you will not be interrupted for 150 minutes.
Sure let me just set aside 2.5 hours only to be told to gently caress off by a robot.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Valeyard posted:

this is most likely the case, the problem is that companies will be on the hook if they decide the wrong classification, so its in their interest to do it properly

will be very interesting to see in the next 6 months what happens, our company already cut loose most of our contractors (or offered them perm roles)
A lot of places that hired contractors have been put in a difficult position, because of course they were all outside IR35 before, so if they suddenly designate everyone as inside-IR35 now, it looks dodgy as gently caress. That said, for contractors, the worst is probably over. The contractor market was predictably dead most of last year and a ton of places panic terminated a lot of their workforce, but things are way better now.

Deffo go for the contract role if you can, as well as earning more it's just more fun being a contractor. Even if you get designated as being inside IR35, £650 inside is still £143k/year, and a lot of places will bump your rate higher to cover the extra tax (you'd need about ~£720/day to match £650/day outside IR35, fwiw)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

this company im dealing with just now, i done the IKM online horrible multiple choice python test for them without ever speaking to anyone from the company (only external recruiters)

and then they flaked out so far TWICE on the interview thqt we had scheduled, and cancelled short notice, one of the times was cancelled 5 minutes into when it was supposed to start, not impressed at all

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Valeyard posted:

this company im dealing with just now, i done the IKM online horrible multiple choice python test for them without ever speaking to anyone from the company (only external recruiters)

and then they flaked out so far TWICE on the interview thqt we had scheduled, and cancelled short notice, one of the times was cancelled 5 minutes into when it was supposed to start, not impressed at all

I am sure working at this company will be great and they consider their employees valuable and deserving of respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Not really interviewing cause I just started a new job last month, but an internal recruiter cold contacted me at my personal email. I agreed to take an exploratory call because always be interviewing, and the idiot sends the calendar invite to my work email. How do these people even get jobs?

On a related note, I've noticed that my work email addresses have somehow made it into some sort of profile on me. The above idiot cced me at my unlisted current work email, former work email, and unlisted Gmail. I haven't used any of those 3 emails in any public profile so I'm not sure how they all got connected to me.