Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Is it about a crab that fights, or is it about someone that fights crabs? Or both??

This is very important.

A dude kills 9 crabs and gets a title related to killing crabs.

Though it is kinda slowly turning him into a human-crab hybrid, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
litcarcinisation

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

90s Cringe Rock posted:

litcarcinisation

The twist, the author is a crabperson isekai'd to earth.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Narmi posted:

Though it is kinda slowly turning him into a human-crab hybrid, so there's that.

This is definitely going to turn out to be the author's fetish.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
TWI really pulled off an awesome chapter with Niers. It was drat good.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Affi posted:

TWI really pulled off an awesome chapter with Niers. It was drat good.

TWI waffles between drat good and punching you in the gut.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Kalas posted:

TWI waffles between drat good and punching you in the gut.

Too bad TWI is going on hiatus while pirateaba deals with their OTV contract.

https://wanderinginn.com/deer-ryan-the-novel/

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

.Z. posted:

Too bad TWI is going on hiatus while pirateaba deals with their OTV contract.

https://wanderinginn.com/deer-ryan-the-novel/

Not gonna lie, this annoyed me but also I don't blame them.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Not gonna lie, this annoyed me but also I don't blame them.

You do know it's April 1st right?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Uh, right. Whoops.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Worst day of the year on the Internet.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Only Pirateaba would write that many words just for a gag.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MadHat posted:

Worst day of the year on the Internet.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I mean it's one book, Michael. How much time could it take pirateaba to write, ten hours?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
PiNoWriDa

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cinara posted:

Only Pirateaba would write that many words just for a gag.

This is honestly where I was at, though I enjoyed/was terrified that in the future everyone apparently speaks like Twitch chat.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Holy hell pirateaba. Latest chapter was almost 41k words when it was finished on stream.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I guess I should have seen that coming after they finished last week's 31k chapter a whole day earlier than usual.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Quote from pirate "I have accidentally written enough for two chapters." Ended up being split into the next 2 chapters for patreon readers.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What a series of chapters.

Zelkyr's a right bastard.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“Meow,” said Praem.

The Lesbian Cult Goes Shopping. Also, the true secret to rescuing Heather's sister is revealed and it's not a surprise at all.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 4, 2021

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Only pirateaba can accidentally write most of a Nanowrimo in three loving days. Great chapter(s) though.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Meow,” said Praem.

The Lesbian Cult Goes Shopping. Also, the true secret to rescuing Heather's sister is revealed and it's not a surprise at all.

Harnessing the power of lesbian polycule to punch out cosmic horrors.

I mean that could just be a tagline for the serial actually.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wandering Inn: as I consider getting into it, does it have any ebook releases? Or any release that isn't white font on a black background? Please say yes. I'd like to put it on my kindle.

e: wait poo poo it's there on amazon, now I look like an idiot

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's on Amazon. You can also just use WebtoEpub:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/webtoepub/akiljllkbielkidmammnifcnibaigelm?hl=en

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Never heard of this, thank you!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The Amazon versions are copyedited at least, so you do get a little something that isn't in the web version.

Also, take note that if you end up liking it and moving on to the web version, the second and third ebooks (the third ebook is the first half of volume 3) each skip a chapter from the web version, because the author decided to move them both into the unreleased fourth ebook alongside the related chapters, so moving from the third book to web means you'll need to backtrack in the table of contents to find those chapters ("Wistram Days").

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Never heard of this, thank you!

If you do this, watch out for volume 7. She started posting fan art at the end of chapters and I didn't realize it until suddenly I had an 800mb epub.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wandering Inn: as I consider getting into it, does it have any ebook releases? Or any release that isn't white font on a black background? Please say yes. I'd like to put it on my kindle.

e: wait poo poo it's there on amazon, now I look like an idiot
___speed o7

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though it was predictably going to happen at some point, (PracGuide)it was still immensely satisfying to see Malicia get owned.

I like how when there are plots in PracGuide they're generally pretty clever and make sense. Offering to sell the artifacts/books to another high-ranked Praesi family was pretty brilliant and it makes sense why it would work (and why Malicia would overlook the possibility).

I'm very curious about how Akua will betray Catherine and why Catherine is 100% sure she will do so.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ytlaya posted:

I'm very curious about how ...why Catherine is 100% sure she will do so.

Answer: Akua

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Ytlaya posted:

Even though it was predictably going to happen at some point, (PracGuide)it was still immensely satisfying to see Malicia get owned.

I like how when there are plots in PracGuide they're generally pretty clever and make sense. Offering to sell the artifacts/books to another high-ranked Praesi family was pretty brilliant and it makes sense why it would work (and why Malicia would overlook the possibility).

I'm very curious about how Akua will betray Catherine and why Catherine is 100% sure she will do so.

My read on Akua, in that scene, is if she wasn't committed to some kind of revenge betrayal she would have walked when Cat gave her the chance.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PGTE She is literally compelled by her very nature to be plotting betrayal. It is the most Praesi thing to do, after all.

I'm a little under halfway through a reread after taking a long break from catching up with the story, and I really really appreciate all of the nuances to Akua's character as she's developed over the first three books. What a magnificent villain.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue I do with PGtE: the writing itself is fine, it's probably in the top 25% of serials, and as far as I can recall it doesn't have any creepy sex poo poo, unlike... well, honestly like 75% of web serials. But I think the pervasive, reality-warping powers of narrative were a major misstep for a long serial. It's a cute enough conceit for a book or maybe a trilogy, but it feels like PGtE has snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and vice-versa so often, and always justified it with storytelling rules that the readers don't have insight into. As a reader I feel like I'm wasting my time- there is no point in getting engaged in whatever the current challenge or plan is, because literally nothing that happens is going to reliably stick until and unless the story goes "Okay, narrative rule eleven says that stabbing a dude in the head doesn't kill him today, it kills whoever stabbed him instead, so the last twenty chapters of planning and setup were completely pointless. Whoopsie!"

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 7, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

lmao pirateaba finished the april fools book, for a total of 13000 words

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I’ve actually started reading the Vainqeur books now because I hit a drought.

Is it turning more and more into a “mc fucks everything he can find” series or is it just me?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Affi posted:

So I’ve actually started reading the Vainqeur books now because I hit a drought.

Is it turning more and more into a “mc fucks everything he can find” series or is it just me?

The MC is Vainqeur.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue I do with PGtE: the writing itself is fine, it's probably in the top 25% of serials, and as far as I can recall it doesn't have any creepy sex poo poo, unlike... well, honestly like 75% of web serials. But I think the pervasive, reality-warping powers of narrative were a major misstep for a long serial. It's a cute enough conceit for a book or maybe a trilogy, but it feels like PGtE has snatched victory from the jaws of defeat and vice-versa so often, and always justified it with storytelling rules that the readers don't have insight into. As a reader I feel like I'm wasting my time- there is no point in getting engaged in whatever the current challenge or plan is, because literally nothing that happens is going to reliably stick until and unless the story goes "Okay, narrative rule eleven says that stabbing a dude in the head doesn't kill him today, it kills whoever stabbed him instead, so the last twenty chapters of planning and setup were completely pointless. Whoopsie!"

I don't see how this is different than any other story in practice. The author decides when things matter and for the story to go in a certain direction they manipulate the narrative in order to do so. The story rules are just a different mechanism to do so and a fairly clever one if you enjoy mini twists. The author could be better about giving hints or clues for the story, or maybe I'm oblivious, and if this was a novel instead of a web serial there are definitely sections that could be omitted or shortened.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think my primary gripe with the concept is that it's far too sweeping in scope, and used in an incredibly clumsy manner. Like, I'm not a weirdo rationalist person arguing that every story should be a fair-play whodunnit, but PGtE has pulled the narrative reality warping card so many times, and established so few rules for it, that it's impossible for readers to make even broad educated guesses about where the story is going. In most stories, cause and effect are a thing: if a guy with a gun bursts into a room, you're safe thinking "Oh no, someone might get shot." But under PGtE's ruleset, and based on how the author has used it in the past, I feel like the only important thing is what happened offscreen: if the guy lost a fight with the office's occupant years ago and tied him in an arm-wrestling contest, the gun has a good chance of going off, unless the guy being shot at is secretly the lost son of the gunman, unless secretly his did was actually his mom all along, unless one of a hundred different things.

My point being, nothing the audience is shown matters: the narrative thingie essentially gives the author complete, arbitrary fiat, something they've exercised liberally throughout the story. That in turn makes me feel like my time would be better spent reading one-sentence summaries of each twist, because astonishingly little connective tissue between those twists actually contributes to the outcome we get to see onscreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Affi posted:

This happens for a reason, and there is a payoff later.