Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Prince Myshkin posted:

That "interview" was with a Reylo nutcase who won a charity auction. I don't think you know how much of Hollywood vernacular is blowing smoke about projects that will never, ever happen.

"Reylo nutcase"? gently caress off with that sort of sexism, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

A Death on the Nile/Knives Out sequel double bill would get me back in the cinema again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Idris Elba as a rival detective please, with an equally outrageous accent.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious if the basic format of the sequels will be the same as the first film--Blanc gets anonymously called in on a mysterious death--and it'll just be new actors and a new situation....or if we'll get a bigger plot departure/new structure. Johnson loves to play with genre conventions and expectations, and since he's never done a sequel to his own work before, I don't know where this one is gonna go

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Snowman_McK posted:

Netflix makes more sense if you imagine that nobody on the board knows how much anything is supposed to cost.

Also, Netflix's revenue stream was not interrupted by Covid.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

Filming in Greece gives the next film a distinctly Agatha Christie’s Poirot kind of feel. So I hope they get the same sort of thing where every actor under the sun is clamouring to be in it.

The living cast of The Last Jedi does a Greece-set Agatha Christie-style with Daniel Craig still doing his Foghorn Leghorn accent.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Knives Out 2: Revenge of the Knives

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

jivjov posted:

"Reylo nutcase"? gently caress off with that sort of sexism, thanks.

No, you're right, that fandom is extremely well-adjusted and saying otherwise makes you a sexist. Very reasonable position.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Prince Myshkin posted:

No, you're right, that fandom is extremely well-adjusted and saying otherwise makes you a sexist. Very reasonable position.

They’re more well adjusted than the people that think Johnson ruined Star Wars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Prince Myshkin posted:

Yes, picking on shippers, who happen to predominantly be women, is sexist. So don't do it. Otherwise you're an rear end in a top hat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

Netflix makes more sense if you imagine that nobody on the board knows how much anything is supposed to cost.

When it comes to movies, does anyone?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

When it comes to movies, does anyone?

Studio accountants, presumably.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty certain that $150 million isn't needed to make a Knives Out sequel but I guess now they can go out and cast like, Tom Cruise or whoever they want to hire for ridiculous money.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Yes, picking on shippers, who happen to predominantly be women, is sexist. So don't do it. Otherwise you're an rear end in a top hat.

No it’s not. There’s shippers of all walks of life. Some ships are dumb. You can make fun of it.

Reylo is a dumb ship, because it’s out of character for both and it made an already dumb movie even dumber.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Net flix isn’t just paying for production costs they are paying the director his expected earnings if the movie was released traditionally

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Directors usually take a percentage of the gross instead of a huge salary

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Even if Johnson gives himself $50 million per film, that's still leaves $100 million per film for production costs which is more than double the budget of the first one.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Knives Out 2: Knives In [A Dead Body]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Even if Johnson gives himself $50 million per film, that's still leaves $100 million per film for production costs which is more than double the budget of the first one.

I wonder if Rian has to pay for some marketing

Also hbo is paying him to *not* be in the the theater which is a premium I think

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

No it’s not. There’s shippers of all walks of life. Some ships are dumb. You can make fun of it.

Reylo is a dumb ship, because it’s out of character for both and it made an already dumb movie even dumber.

It's literally the central relationship of the entire trilogy. How is it "out of character" when that's a core facet of BOTH characters' arcs over every single movie they're in? Reylo paying off in TRoS is one of the few good decisions that film made, even if it's undone 12 seconds later by killing off Ben for no reason

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 1, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are literally called a Force Couple (tm)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nothing in TRoS "paid off."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nothing in TRoS "paid off."

True.

I wish we had gotten Johnson's episode IX instead...though I can't begrudge him wanting to pursue his own projects first

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rian seems to be to left of liberals so yeah I would have liked that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Johnson was never considered for IX was he? I thought it was always going to be DinoTrevor until it wasn't.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Though I do appreciate that the "Reylos" got a payoff and a fuckoff at the same time when Ben/Kylo kissed Rey and then immediately died. In the theater I watch it in, there was laughter at that moment.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 1, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

It's literally the central relationship of the entire trilogy. How is it "out of character" when that's a core facet of BOTH characters' arcs over every single movie they're in? Reylo paying off in TRoS is one of the few good decisions that film made, even if it's undone 12 seconds later by killing off Ben for no reason
It sucks rear end that Rey fell in love love with a facist murderer.

I’d be much much better if they became friends. Reylo sucks. I hate it so mcuh

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stev posted:

Johnson was never considered for IX was he? I thought it was always going to be DinoTrevor until it wasn't.

First was Trevorrow, when he was let go, they kicked around the idea of asking Johnson to come back, but he was working on Knives Out and the word from the Disney side of things was "no delays", so they went with Abrams since he was available to take over immediately

CelticPredator posted:

Sorry you can't distinguish between fantasy fiction and reality. Hope you sort that out soon--must make watching movies really difficult.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Well, they were a Dyad. So maybe they were friends with (Force) benefits?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

REN isn’t a fascist. He’s authoritarian definitely.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
what the gently caress even is a force dyad. that movie sucked so much

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jivjov posted:

Sorry you can't distinguish between fantasy fiction and reality. Hope you sort that out soon--must make watching movies really difficult.

I don’t even understand what these words mean? Is it that because it’s a movie nothing that happens means anything so you can’t question it? He is a very bad dude in the context of the movie and wanting Rey to gently caress him anyway because he feels bad at the end isn’t doing a feminism.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

jivjov posted:

Stop being an scold

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t even understand what these words mean? Is it that because it’s a movie nothing that happens means anything so you can’t question it? He is a very bad dude in the context of the movie and wanting Rey to gently caress him anyway because he feels bad at the end isn’t doing a feminism.

Literally Ben's ENTIRE character arc is about how conflicted he is and how he is dealing with feelings of neglect and abandonment and legacy....not to mention the abuse by Snoke. And, critically, Rey in interested in, and wants to help. Ben--but she's not gonna get involved until he fixes himself. "I wanted to take your hand. Ben's hand", as in Not Kylo Ren. As in, I'm not gonna take you in and try to fix you, you gotta do that yourself.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey is also evil (partially) so it makes sense she and Ben get along

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CelticPredator posted:

Stop being an scold

Stop mocking shippers and calling them "nutcases"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t do that. So maybe calm the heck down ya scoldy scold

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
in the span of like three days Kylo:

-kidnapped rey and strapped her to a torture chair
-killed her newfound father figure
-grievously injured her friend
-tried to kill her
-nearly killed her newfound mother figure
-invaded her dreams
-refused to stop actively killing her friends
-forced her new mentor to sacrifice himself so the handful of friends she had left could escape (from him)

like really when you lay it all out it's kinda mystifying as to why she'd want him anything but dead

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She does want him dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hence why she saved his life after she all but killed him.