Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Nothin better in the world than a big bite of something that has just the right amount of horseradish or wasabi. Doesn't kill you but unlocks your Third Nostril and you can smell infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

Nothin better in the world than a big bite of something that has just the right amount of horseradish or wasabi. Doesn't kill you but unlocks your Third Nostril and you can smell infinity.

Don't unlock your third nostril if you have hay fever and you're around people who still have a high opinion of you. You'll ruin the floating sushi boat restaurant experience for everyone.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think it's probably just powdered horseradish dried green, but I once had a small tin of powdered wasabi and it was great for adding to things like stirfries or whatever. Should look into getting more of that, I think it was an impusle buy in my grocer's "ethnic" section.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WhiteHowler posted:

Mods, please change my name to The Champignon.

The ingredients list is hilarious; it's got like six ingredients, five of which are just different ways to say "MSG". :v: I really like adding a tablespoon to homemade spaghetti sauce since I rarely buy mushrooms.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bluedeanie posted:

Fentiman's ginger beer has some juniper additive that does that. A sip of it feels like I'm back home in pollen season.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Fentiman's ginger beer has some juniper additive that does that. A sip of it feels like I'm back home in pollen season.

huh, juniper ginger beer sounds extremely up my alley

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fentiman's also makes the best tonic water.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chemmy posted:

Fentiman's also makes the best tonic water.

Yeah, I haven’t been able to find it in Australia unfortunately but I can get Fevertree which is also very good tonic water.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Actually, the best tonic water is the one you make yourself, forget a key step in the filtering process and give yourself mild cinchona poisoning

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Scientastic posted:

Actually, the best tonic water is the one you make yourself, forget a key step in the filtering process and give yourself mild cinchona poisoning

How else are you going to know it has enough quinine in it to treat malaria?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I bought a 6lb slab of pork belly. Last time I bought this much I made red braised pork, crispy pork belly and thin sliced hoisin pork belly. What are some other pork belly dishes I can make?

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
Cure your own bacon, it's so much better than store bought its not even funny.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TheCog posted:

I bought a 6lb slab of pork belly. Last time I bought this much I made red braised pork, crispy pork belly and thin sliced hoisin pork belly. What are some other pork belly dishes I can make?

kbbq

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Make hui guo rou, it's amazing :allears:

e: here's a slightly blurry pic of fuchsia's recipe

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can also do the initial boil, cool, slice it up, and freeze individual portions for fast huiguorou in the future. Handy when you have a lot of belly and don't want a lot of belly from eating it all immediately.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok, where am I going wrong here. I always see people doing chicken wings in an air fryer and they come out looking super crispy and awesome, but the skin on mine just doesn’t hit that.

So rather than a standalone unit it’s one built into my GE stove, and always read good feedback for that and sounds like it should essentially do everything the same as a standalone.

I have the tray sat pretty near the bottom of the oven (have tried positions 3 and 4 I believe) and I set it to air fry for around 18 minutes then I flipped them and did around 12 on the other side. So I think that should be enough compensation for the increased size of the heater? They’re cooked all the way through without an issue. Heat at 400f, I spray with olive oil twice (using one of those atomizers you pour real oil into and pump rather than an aerosol).

I’m just using a regular pan with cooling rack which should be fine according to the manual.

Should I raise the temperature to 425 for a few minutes at the end? Or am I missing something else?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just do the baking powder method.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 4, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah follow kenji's method of drying them overnight after tossing them in salt/baking powder. I think it's 1tbsp of each per pound of wings.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I watched a video about that, really makes the difference? I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks.

E: and a kenji link seals the deal, perfect!

E2: and sorry those are drumsticks this time but it was the exact same when I separated wings too

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I watched a video about that, really makes the difference? I’ll give it a whirl. Thanks.

E: and a kenji link seals the deal, perfect!

E2: and sorry those are drumsticks this time but it was the exact same when I separated wings too

It works well.

A heads up though, consider using aluminum-free baking powder. Before I switched, the wings sometimes came out with a bitter aftertaste.

mystes
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was wondering about that but wasn't sure if I was going crazy or something.

The baking powder method works amazingly well. I've done it like three times since I first tried it around a month ago and it's worked perfectly every time.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that's the only way I've been able to them adequately crispy at home. It's almost like a breading.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love it when everyone is on the same page, awesome!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've done the baking powder thing on a whole spatchcocked chicken with really good results as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Quick question about wood: what does it mean that it's "antibacterial"? Like if I prep a chicken on my wooden cutting board and leave it without washing do the chicken scraps there magically not get gross and dangerous? I assume not otherwise you could just wipe off a wooden cooking board forever and never have to wash it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AnonSpore posted:

Quick question about wood: what does it mean that it's "antibacterial"? Like if I prep a chicken on my wooden cutting board and leave it without washing do the chicken scraps there magically not get gross and dangerous? I assume not otherwise you could just wipe off a wooden cooking board forever and never have to wash it.

There's not actually agreement on it, but the most popular hypothesis is that the porousness of wood means it will tend to equalize with the ambient air humidity, and unless you're in a swamp that means it'll dry out so much the bacteria die. So your unwashed board would over time gather gunk which does stay wet and that would be an environment for bacteria to live in, but if you wash off all that poo poo and let it dry the wood will be sterile.

The problem with plastic is it doesn't have that natural ability to equalize, and as you cut on it you're digging little furrows in that can retain moisture. In practice, as long as you're washing your cutting board with soap and hot water after you use it, it's fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

E: ^^haha I’m not sure if we’re describing the same thing but we agree at least^^

Wood naturally has capillaries spread through it that draw moisture onwards. What this means for food prep is that any moisture in the board will disperse and evaporate quite quickly and most bacteria can’t survive in a dry environment.

Meanwhile plastic is famously not absorbent. Eventually the plastic cutting board gets a little weathered, water and bacteria accumulate in the crevices and things start to get gross.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 4, 2021

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's wild. So I WOULD be able to just wipe down a wooden cutting board and it would be fine?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ehhh, chicken remnants sound like a pretty good source of moisture and shelter for bacteria in and of themselves. I wouldn’t tempt fate.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Soap is cheap and salmonella isn't worth saving 30 seconds of real washing imo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Please wash your cutting board.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

That's wild. So I WOULD be able to just wipe down a wooden cutting board and it would be fine?

No

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm going to wash it of course, it's an academic question because I'm curious about the why of it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think it's because that with both plastic and wooden boards the crevices can still harbor bacteria after washing, but only the wooden boards wick the moisture away so that the bacteria can't grow. In both cases do you need to still wash them.

Now I don't think that makes plastic boards particularly unsafe either tbh so in practice if you wash your boards properly it's probably moot.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So...it is true that the mechanism of the "antimicrobial" properties of wood appears to be purely mechanical--that is, because wood is porous moisture wicks into the interior of the wood. There is no known antimicrobial action due to either wood solids or anything that leaches from wood--there isn't anything in the wood itself that kills bacteria.

But any contaminants are just sequestered, not killed. Like, they'll die eventually, but survival is actually fairly long. And even if you don't have any vegetative (that is, active) bacteria you can end up with sporulated bacteria--bacteria that isn't actively growing or reproducing, but has formed spores that can subsequently germinate into active bacteria when the conditions are better. So if the wood is damaged later--e.g., but cutting it with a knife--these contaminants may be released.

...Aaaaand the experiments (the original ones that got the internet in a lather were done by a guy called Dean Cliver, if you want to look them up) involved a number of factors not generally discussed by people bringing up the "wood is antimicrobial" thing on the internet. Basically they took some liquid inoculated with bacteria and wiped it on a cutting board, wiped the cutting board off, and then cultured samples taken off the surface. Things that reduced the effectiveness of the antimicrobial action: any damage to the surface of the cutting board; increasing the concentration of the contamination in the sample used to inoculate the board; increasing the volume of liquid used in the inoculation (the original tests used just a couple ml of liquid); allowing full or partial drying of the inoculating liquid before wiping it off (partially dried contaminants form what are called biofilms which are an absolute bitch to properly sanitise); and using actual fluids from an animal (specifically drippings from chicken meat) instead of water as the fluid.

There's an actual real interesting result: everyone kinda assumed that plastic would be more sanitary because it wouldn't (the thinking went) harbour bacteria and wood would be less sanitary because it would harbour bacteria. But plastic cutting boards do harbour bacteria...and so will a wood cutting board...it just happens to do so, in certain circumstances, in such a way that it can keep the contamination away from the surface.

But holy poo poo this is not something anyone should ever rely on for food safety.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I have a big expensive wooden board and a small cheap plastic one. High risk foods get prepped on the plastic one, which goes in the dishwasher, everything else on the wooden one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm trying to come up with a tropical-ish mixed drink and I'm looking for some sort of chocolate-coffee ice cream as a base for lack of a better word. This... is way harder to find than I expected. I can find chocolate easy enough but the coffee is usually just coffee ice cream. I could mix the two, but it'd be much easier if I could find something that contained both. I've checked every store in reasonable distance and I've looked online to even if such a thing exists but even that seems to come up empty. I could also make up the coffee easy enough with liqueur but it'll already be pretty heavy on the alcohol as is

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm trying to come up with a tropical-ish mixed drink and I'm looking for some sort of chocolate-coffee ice cream as a base for lack of a better word. This... is way harder to find than I expected. I can find chocolate easy enough but the coffee is usually just coffee ice cream. I could mix the two, but it'd be much easier if I could find something that contained both. I've checked every store in reasonable distance and I've looked online to even if such a thing exists but even that seems to come up empty. I could also make up the coffee easy enough with liqueur but it'll already be pretty heavy on the alcohol as is
Have you considered just adding instant coffee?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Have you tried looking for coffee ice cream with chocolate chips? A quick GIS shows that Edy's, Ben & Jerry's, and Haagen Dazs all make (or made) something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mystes posted:

Have you considered just adding instant coffee?

Or going to Starbucks.