Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I hope everyone's having a wonderful April Fools Day :D

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Deb reeled in the entire discord with it too. Well played :golfclap:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

I was gonna say, either you had VASTLY turned around on The Skin I Live In or this was a goof.

I did think that that may have been too much of a give away! Either that, or Irreversible at 9am on a Sunday

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just a relaxing Sunday morning with Irreversible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't even question it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i do enjoy coloring my entire day with soul sucking movies though

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It warms the cockles of my heart to know that Fran can go directly from arguing the minutiae of movie genre definitions to arguing that The Brave Little Toaster is, in fact, a horror movie.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

In non-April Fool's Day prank news, Don Mancini confirmed that the "Chucky" TV series is coming this fall, and revealed the title for episode #1.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3658390/don-mancini-teases-chucky-tv-series-episode-1-title-reveal-series-premieres-fall-video/

Apparently there's also a Chucky movie marathon on SyFy today, for some reason, so if you're stuck on stuff to watch, that's an option. (A Chucky marathon is always an option, no matter the day.)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

In non-April Fool's Day prank news, Don Mancini confirmed that the "Chucky" TV series is coming this fall, and revealed the title for episode #1.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/3658390/don-mancini-teases-chucky-tv-series-episode-1-title-reveal-series-premieres-fall-video/

Apparently there's also a Chucky movie marathon on SyFy today, for some reason, so if you're stuck on stuff to watch, that's an option. (A Chucky marathon is always an option, no matter the day.)

Sci-fi channel and it's variations used to do Chucky marathons all the time when I was in high school. That's, I think, how I saw it for the first time. Warms my heart that they've kept that up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Canadian Netflix got in Happy Death Day 2 U, so gonna watch that sometime this weekend

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

New season of Creepshow on Shudder starts today. I know the quality of these are all over the place, but I think it's pretty fun. The first episode features Bob Ross fighting a deadite Ted Raimi.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 1, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

New season of Creepshow on Shudder starts today. I know the quality of these are all over the place, but I think it's pretty fun. The first episode features Bob Ross fighting a deadite Ted Raimi.

I never checked out the first season but I remember hearing it was a bit of a crapshoot. Anyone got a few to recommend from that season? I love Creepshow and anthology poo poo so I’m pretty forgiving.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will just watch joe Lynch’s episode and not watch the others lol

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

WeaponX posted:

I never checked out the first season but I remember hearing it was a bit of a crapshoot. Anyone got a few to recommend from that season? I love Creepshow and anthology poo poo so I’m pretty forgiving.

I also have a soft spot for anthologies, but I don't think any of it was total garbage. Off the top of my head I really liked the man in the suitcase one.

vvv hell yeah

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 1, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the man in the suitcase one was good and the uh halloween one was good. kinda remember the nazi werewolf one being exceptionally dumb, but fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The dollhouse one was a lot of fun

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jedit posted:

It warms the cockles of my heart to know that Fran can go directly from arguing the minutiae of movie genre definitions to arguing that The Brave Little Toaster is, in fact, a horror movie.

I bought it 100% and also haven't seen Brave Little Toaster so my immediate reaction was "Oh cool there's gonna be a break from the soul crushing poo poo for a fun kids movie" and I'm learning based on the replies that this is, in fact, the wrong take

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEdZh8a4ZvE

spoiler: run

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I didn't even question it.

Yeah, this is like the only prank I've fallen for today. I thought the Brave Little Toaster insertion was just some next-level irony or something.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Goddammit that's horrifying. "Run". Jesus christ. I must have repressed the memory of this scene. Though I DID have an inexplicable fear of clowns as a kid. Perhaps I just solved a piece of the puzzle.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is this an april fools thing why is everyone so scared of that movie

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Because we watched it when we were like 7. You know, back before your parents were born.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I gotta rewatch The Phantom Tollbooth and see if it's as hauntingly weird as I remember.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm young enough to have seen The Brave Little Toaster, but I didn't. But to tie it into horror, I remember seeing a standee for The Brave Little Toaster in the same video store I saw that Child's Play poster for the first time. I couldn't have been more than 8 but I can still picture it in my head, like the standee was up against a column and then 90 degrees to my left, beside the door, was the Chucky poster.

So you had this

not five feet away from this

Man, I miss video stores :allears:

(also the poster is mine, the standee isn't mine... yet)

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Shining (the book) is just the poor man's Burnt Offerings.

I haven't seen Burnt Offerings (the film) but I assume that the reverse is true with that.

It's underrated. Not great but pretty good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh poo poo, Canadians; Possessor Uncut is on Crave!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

is this an april fools thing why is everyone so scared of that movie

I didn't say it was scary or that it scared me as a kid, I just said that I didn't realize the existential horror or themes of deep sadness that is the life of an inanimate object in that reality until I was much older.

The loving toaster inadvertently drives a flower to suicide after breaking it's heart, because it thinks it's reflection is finally another flower that has sprouted to love it. There is a whole landmass of destroyed vehicles either waiting in agony to rust into oblivion or to be crushed and burned into non-existence by a hell-fire. There are nightmare clowns! It's dark as gently caress.

T Bowl posted:

It's underrated. Not great but pretty good.

A haunted house movie with Oliver Reed as the Jack Torrence should be either be bigger, wilder, or weirder than it actually is.

But you're right. It's above average but not by much. I'd be interested in reading the book, though!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Holy poo poo you are not kidding. This is vastly better than the first season. So much better directed written, acted, effects, concepts, everything. It apes the Creepshow movie incredibly well. This is exactly what I wished the first season was.

Highly recommend for anyone who didn't like the first.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching Atroz, and as expected it’s pretty crap. Most offensive thing so far is they clearly only have one camera regardless of whose viewpoint it’s supposed to be and there’s a massive dust mark in the middle of the frame the whole time. Clean your drat sensor!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

After waiting 2 weeks for a citation that never came, I edited out the false claim that Robert Englund was the voice of the hand from Idle Hands on the movie's wikipedia page.

I am the hero of horror historical accuracy.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Escape Room was entertaining enough. It was fine. It would have benefited from going for an 18 rating. If you make these elaborate set pieces, I would like to see some gnarly deaths please.

My irrationally irritating movie moment is the mobile phone.
It's a cliche of modern horror to explain to the audience why the characters can't call for help by having one of them complain out loud there's no phone signal.
Here they avoid that by having the reception guy tell them they have to hand over their phones so they don't take pictures and tweet the puzzle answers. Great, that makes sense. But, one guy sneaks in a second phone. They make a big deal of establishing this phone. Oh, ok either that phone will save the day or that guy is about to get brutally punished to show what happens to rule-breakers, right?

Nope. After they realise the traps are real, army lady ties to call out and then complains out loud there's no signal. Phone is never seen again. :what:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching Atroz, and as expected it’s pretty crap. Most offensive thing so far is they clearly only have one camera regardless of whose viewpoint it’s supposed to be and there’s a massive dust mark in the middle of the frame the whole time. Clean your drat sensor!

I noticed that too when i watched it (well i didnt notice it, my film school attending brother pointed it out to me) and it drove me NUTS

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh poo poo, Canadians; Possessor Uncut is on Crave!

This sounds like it ought to be the first slasher movie set in a synagogue.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

feedmyleg posted:

Holy poo poo you are not kidding. This is vastly better than the first season. So much better directed written, acted, effects, concepts, everything. It apes the Creepshow movie incredibly well. This is exactly what I wished the first season was.

Highly recommend for anyone who didn't like the first.

I enjoyed the first season overall (minus a few duds) but this new season is off to an amazing start so far.

I know the first season had an incredibly short schedule for filming and post-production, which led to a lot of the jankiness.

They've had a lot more time this season (and possibly a bigger budget?) so everything is much more polished. I mean, the freaking Gill-man and Mummy costumes were top-notch, Gill-man especially looked amazing .

And as somebody who lives in Pittsburgh, I loved the second story so much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wait, so there’s a live action Creepshow series too? I tried watching the motion-comic thing but I was out off pretty early - it would have been more tolerable with static images instead of janky marionettes, honestly.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

david_a posted:

Wait, so there’s a live action Creepshow series too? I tried watching the motion-comic thing but I was out off pretty early - it would have been more tolerable with static images instead of janky marionettes, honestly.

Season 1 was live action, then they did 2 motion comic episodes during the worst of Covid. After that we got a Christmas special which was live action, and Season 2 premiered yesterday.

If you were watching on Shudder I think the specials were grouped differently than the main show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We tried to watch the new Ghostbusters, but Kate asked me to turn it off after about 10 minutes. I'd heard it was good, not great, and went in expecting to like it. But it was just obnoxious from the word go. "Oh God, my tenure review is coming up, I hope I get tenure so I don't have to be a dirty prole anymore! Do you like me, Authority Figure? Please say you like me. I'm so desperate for you to like me. I have the self-esteem of a goose about to be sucked into a jet engine."

It's a really apt contrast between the Millennial generation and the Reagan generation, with Bill Murray opening the original all like "I'm a hack and a fraud, but who cares, I'm here to get paid and get laid." But it isn't funny.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Halloween Jack posted:

We tried to watch the new Ghostbusters, but Kate asked me to turn it off after about 10 minutes. I'd heard it was good, not great, and went in expecting to like it. But it was just obnoxious from the word go. "Oh God, my tenure review is coming up, I hope I get tenure so I don't have to be a dirty prole anymore! Do you like me, Authority Figure? Please say you like me. I'm so desperate for you to like me. I have the self-esteem of a goose about to be sucked into a jet engine."

It's a really apt contrast between the Millennial generation and the Reagan generation, with Bill Murray opening the original all like "I'm a hack and a fraud, but who cares, I'm here to get paid and get laid." But it isn't funny.

Which new Ghostbusters are we talking about here?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I went into the second episode of Creepshow S2 blind and holy poo poo, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darko posted:

I went into the second episode of Creepshow S2 blind and holy poo poo, haha.

It felt way more tonally in line with Raimi's work than Ash vs. Evil Dead. And not only that, it merged seamlessly with the Creepshow tone.