Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

fizzymercury posted:

I got mantises last year to combat my june bug infestation and instead of killing the june bugs I just added mantises to the loving formation of assault bugs. You ever had a mantis slam into your glasses while holding a june bug in it's mandibles? Because that's my every day.

It was worth it because my victory garden is pest free. Just learn how to duck and dive.

I'm not a bug-science man, but june bugs might be a symptom of a worse infestation.
When I was a kid we had a big oak tree in our back yard that was infested with june bugs, so we went about killing them. Turns out the june bugs were eating some sort of worm that was infesting the tree, and without the june bugs there to control the population the tree quickly died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Problem is, they're probably not the species of mantis that's actually native to your area. In CA at least, the mail order mantises have naturalized themselves alongside native species.

Yeah, make sure you're only buying Carolina mantis eggs!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
If they are not from a specific region in France they are just Sparkling Mantii...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

I'm not a bug-science man, but june bugs might be a symptom of a worse infestation.
When I was a kid we had a big oak tree in our back yard that was infested with june bugs, so we went about killing them. Turns out the june bugs were eating some sort of worm that was infesting the tree, and without the june bugs there to control the population the tree quickly died.

June bugs live underground as grubs and suck the juices from your lawn and other plants. As adults they typically eat the leaves of all of your plants.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Anyone tried those Daphne's gyro meat slices that are in the fridge section? Didn't get them, but might next time.

I did get the new tteokbokki & glass noodle bowls that were in the ramen section.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ive never had a storebought tteokbokki that wasnt improved by adding half an ounce of rice flour or cornstarch or somethin to the broth as thickener

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

Anyone tried those Daphne's gyro meat slices that are in the fridge section? Didn't get them, but might next time.

They are good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

I did get the new tteokbokki & glass noodle bowls that were in the ramen section.

If I don't see the meat sliced off a rotating form, I don't trust it

Geodude
Mar 21, 2004

Geodude used Reply to Thread! It's super effective!

Fartington Butts posted:

My Co only had the gyro kits, and while tasty, was far too small a portion of meat to fill 5 pitas. It filled 2 and maybe crumbs for a 3rd. I'd love if we could get just the meat.

The "Greek Style Dressing" was to be used on a non-included salad.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Costco gyro? More like costdont....buy...no?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's actually pronounced "KEEST-co."

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
My Costco got those cocoa bombs today. It sucks that they couldn't get them in until it started getting warm out l, but I'm still going to buy the poo poo out of them.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

fizzymercury posted:

I'm fine with being the weird mustard guy though.
Mustard Crew checking in. :frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

Fartington Butts posted:

Fingering the ol' onion hole.
Thread title.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

I got these from Costco on my last trip and they are fuckin' delicious. Ajinomoto Vegetable Yakisoba.

https://sameday.costco.com/store/items/item_80011233

if you like noodles costco currently has one of the best instant noodles, I got a case last time i was there.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Fartington Butts posted:

I like them, the HUGE tub of Tsaziki sauce is good too but I never buy it because it is so big I throw most of it out. I just go to a local Mediterranean market and buy some from their deli.

I just throw the Gyro slices in a small frying fan to heat/crisp them up a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you can, make your own tsaziki, it’s so so good and easy

robotheist
Dec 31, 2007
I usually make some toum to go with the gyro slices, but we're big fans of them in our house. My husband is from the UK and used them to make chips, cheese and doner meat for a taste of home that probably shaved a few years off my life.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Hell Yeah posted:

if you like noodles costco currently has one of the best instant noodles, I got a case last time i was there.

Do you do anything special with your Tainan noodles? I don't know what my expectation was for these, but I got them a few months ago and have been extremely underwhelmed when following the instructions. They've been sitting on my shelf needing some love and I got my tried and true Nongshim the next time at Costco instead

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

AWarmBody posted:

Do you do anything special with your Tainan noodles? I don't know what my expectation was for these, but I got them a few months ago and have been extremely underwhelmed when following the instructions. They've been sitting on my shelf needing some love and I got my tried and true Nongshim the next time at Costco instead

Yeah same, my kids won’t touch em either.

Maybe cook and then stirfry with meat and veg?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I've really been enjoying biscottis. Our Costco has two kinds one is "authentic" and one is "classic" and the classic is much more toothsome. Great with tea or coffee.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AWarmBody posted:

I use them as a lao gan ma and too much soy sauce delivery device and they're great at it. Put some steamed veggies and cooked meat in there so it's filling. I'm probably offending anyone that knows how to actually use them properly but they're okay like that.

They absolutely suck on their own though. I was convinced I'd made them wrong the first couple times I made them. They're aggressively bland.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I held out on buying the giant bag of Jacquot chocolate eggs until they were on clearance for something like 7.97 and dang.

That's a pretty good chocolate egg right there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mercury Hat posted:

I held out on buying the giant bag of Jacquot chocolate eggs until they were on clearance for something like 7.97 and dang.

That's a pretty good chocolate egg right there.

They're good but holy poo poo there's so many eggs. We can't even give them away fast enough.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hell Yeah posted:

reported for trolling

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Those gyro kits are poo poo. Find your local gyro place that slings KRONOS meat.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

No, they're pretty bad in general. I have a roommate who buys them and she doesn't even use the sauce pack that comes with it, she makes her own.

I got real bad heartburn when eating them too, I think someone mentioned all the insane amounts of sodium are from the noodles themselves not the actual sauce.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

AWarmBody posted:

usually i add something like steamed broccoli, rotisserie chicken meat or an egg, chinese hot oil or chili crisp, and some peanut butter for the tainan noodles specifically. the other stuff i will put on any noodles.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

did not expect the noodles to be so controversial. they come with basically soy sauce and sesame oil, but really it's about how good the noodles themselves are. also the noodles are dried not fried like most ramen is.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can just... get noodles if you want noodles

at the non instant nood section

theyre inferior at bein instant and brutally overpriced for non instant

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
just cook dry noodles

or soft noodles

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I threw a pile of wheat in a fire and it didn't turn into noodles, so I think I'll stick with the instant ones thank you very much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Making your own noodles is easy and surprisingly relaxing, I doubt it's cost efficient though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Making your own noodles is easy and surprisingly relaxing, I doubt it's cost efficient though

it’s a great at-home date

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Hell Yeah posted:

did not expect the noodles to be so controversial. they come with basically soy sauce and sesame oil, but really it's about how good the noodles themselves are. also the noodles are dried not fried like most ramen is.

I've said it before but I do like the thick-cut ones. The sauce is good for what it is, though I've ended up adding soy sauce and cayenne to ramp the flavor up a bit. They're a nice little go-to to have around.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The initial cost hurdle for buying pasta making equipment is at least $100 for some mediocre brand stuff, you want the high quality lifetime warranty it's closer to $200.

You have to eat a fuckin ton of noodles to get your money's worth.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hand pulled/cut my dude. I can't get 'em as thin as a store but it's kinda fun. I really only started doing it cause I couldn't find Alkaline Noodles in my area and I wanted to try a dish

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pentyne posted:

The initial cost hurdle for buying pasta making equipment is at least $100 for some mediocre brand stuff, you want the high quality lifetime warranty it's closer to $200.

You have to eat a fuckin ton of noodles to get your money's worth.

it’s cheaper than going out on five dates

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s cheaper than going out on five dates
What is this, Half Baked

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I used to go to a chinese noodle place where they would make the noodles in a kitchen with a glass wall so you could watch, it was cool. My fav was the “cutting noodles” where dude would have a big lump of dough and flick noodles off with a knife. They were super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What is this, Half Baked

Thurgood should have taken Mary Jane to the Costco food court