Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Libertarianism: Is it better to remain silent and be thought a pedophile, or be technically correct and remove all doubt?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I'm not projecting! You are!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does anyone else remember, maybe around 2012-2014 or so, when there was a push to supposedly change the way that media was supposed to cover mass shooters? Something like, don't say the shooter's name, don't show the shooter's face, don't try to humanize them or give them free press, things like that

supposedly the goal was to remove the incentive for a mass shooter to do a mass shooting for the purposes of becoming infamous, which thinking back sounds a lot like an expression of the political powerlessness in the face of mass shootings while also somewhat misdiagnosing what drives people towards becoming mass shooters

I distinctly remember this being a thing for a while, even if it didn't happen and the media didn't actually take this "advice"

does anyone else? or am I just hallucinating

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

gradenko_2000 posted:

does anyone else remember, maybe around 2012-2014 or so, when there was a push to supposedly change the way that media was supposed to cover mass shooters? Something like, don't say the shooter's name, don't show the shooter's face, don't try to humanize them or give them free press, things like that

supposedly the goal was to remove the incentive for a mass shooter to do a mass shooting for the purposes of becoming infamous, which thinking back sounds a lot like an expression of the political powerlessness in the face of mass shootings while also somewhat misdiagnosing what drives people towards becoming mass shooters

I distinctly remember this being a thing for a while, even if it didn't happen and the media didn't actually take this "advice"

I remember but cannot think of any specific examples.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

a Loving Dog posted:

Yeah, same, and there's a nonzero chance I'm thinking of an episode of Criminal Minds.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Last helicopter leaving Saigon picture when?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

charlie brooker did a thing about it in one of his old newswipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Last helicopter leaving Saigon picture when?

it's gonna be an f35 with the pilot hitting the startup buttons and nothing happeneing because the moon is in the seventh house

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's definitely a thing and it comes up almost every time there's a mass shooting - but like you said the problem is that the people advocating for it don't understand why the vast majority of the public kind of rampages we have actually occurs. I mostly see it as people on twitter though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Jeep posted:

charlie brooker did a thing about it in one of his old newswipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

thank you

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

a Loving Dog posted:

nz did this with pewdiepie fan

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

they did this and it’s why mass shootings are down year over year since 2000

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

literally the only reason were hearing about shootings again is because the atlanta shooting was a real good test case for blaming all the democratically led countries problems on the abstract concept of racism shootings actually went up over covid they just werent being reported on

unluckily for the media none of the subsequent shootings after they decided to report on them again work with this narrative at all which is just making the fact that theyre being weaponized for political purposes really really obvious

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

literally the only reason were hearing about shootings again is because the atlanta shooting was a real good test case for blaming all the democratically led countries problems on the abstract concept of racism shootings actually went up over covid they just werent being reported on

unluckily for the media none of the subsequent shootings after they decided to report on them again work with this narrative at all which is just making the fact that theyre being weaponized for political purposes really really obvious

You're not wrong that this is why it's going national again but they were being reported on, but not nationally as a trend. It was mostly being reported on as local news trying to create the false impression that shooting are up here as a way to counter-act defund the police. Like where I am they're pushing really hard to bring back the racial profiling team they got rid of last summer based on a lot of hyperlocal focus on the rise in shooting with a "this is problem for us specifically and uniquely" framing rather than a national framing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

zegermans posted:

Our government is run by a panel of 9 people, 5 of which were appointed by people who did not receive a plurality of votes, and confirmed by people who represent less than a third of the country.

Also we have concentration camps.

shut the gently caress up zegerm.....

oh wait

Yeah the US is a failed state and has no room to talk about any country being an authoritarian poo poo hole

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

they did that (I remember it more in the late 2000s after VA Tech especially) but A. cable news media and the internet meant that it was a complete non-starter from the get go because everyone would just get the info from whatever source chose to report it anyway; B. it was a massive misdiagnosis of the reasons people are driven to commit mass shootings; C. the shootings kept happening so nobody seriously kept it up

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Here's Wikipedia-jockey Brown Moses taking shots at probably one of the best, most influential, and most correct journalists of all time.

Really isn't taking all this scrutiny of his spook-show very well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
loving sicko tapdancing on a dead man's grave like that

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

“I’m not racist against the Chinese, but...”

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Now for some lighter news:
https://twitter.com/JournosPostLs/status/1377046728491290624?s=19

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

shootings actually went up over covid they just werent being reported on

wait really?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Syncopated posted:

wait really?

Homicides did but mass shootings didn't (for obvious reasons).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i was surprised anyone was reporting that as real
really explains a lot about modern media

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

duz posted:

i was surprised anyone was reporting that as real
really explains a lot about modern media

Remember when Volkswagen got caught lying about their cars emission standards? I'm sure they stopped that and no other manufacture does it, so let's cry about an April Fools joke being fake news

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Syncopated posted:

wait really?

yes really

https://www.massshootingtracker.site/data/?year=2020

https://www.massshootingtracker.site/data/?year=2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just made a nice graph about it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Homicides did but mass shootings didn't (for obvious reasons).

It's also important to keep in mind that the uptick in homicides started back in early winter of 2020. You'll see a lot of scummy motivated liars trying to tie it to defund the police, but it actually predates that and is also a national trend although, like I mentioned, a lot of local media (where I live for one) tries really hard to present it as a hyperlocal issue. Covid certainly played into it as well and probably a lot, but I believe the statistics I've seen (don't have time to look right now) show the start of the spike a little before that

Edit: also unless I'm just completely braindead about reading statistics even with the increases over 2020 it's still way down from the peaks in the 80s/90s

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Apr 1, 2021

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If I had to guess, I'd guess there was a lot more "normal" violence and fewer spectacle killings last year.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Edit: also unless I'm just completely braindead about reading statistics even with the increases over 2020 it's still way down from the peaks in the 80s/90s

Of course it's still much lower than those years, right before the pandemic hit NY passed bail reform so every cop and cop allied media outlet started presenting every crime that was possible to be the fault of that (on to off this insane right wing talking point that criminals were being coddled, "you could murder someone be let out and they'll give you Mets tickets" was something I heard at least once a week till everything became about COVID and thr culture war around it

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Mass shootings were at a record high in 2020 if you use the Mass Shooting tracker, but were at their lowest level in like 20 years if you use the Mother Jones tracker. Which goes to show how "mass shooting" is a useless, totally politicized concept.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLsiDuX1p0g

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
big spree shootings where somebody shoots up a crowded public place were much less common in 2020, for reasons that should be p obvious

but there was a big spike in homicide in general, including gun homicides

how this affects the number of mass shootings depends on how a given source defines "mass shooting". for example, if a person shoots their neighbor, then goes home and shoots their four kids and then themself, is that a mass shooting? some trackers say yes

aside from the not-too-surprising reasons why homicide would be up in 2020, keep in mind that there was also a massive spike in gun sales in 2020. in fact, there were several spikes. one when the COVID shutdowns started, another when protests against police brutality ramped up in summer, and then another massive spike when Biden was inaugurated

nearly 40 million guns were sold in 2020, a record for yearly sales. and another 4 million were sold in January 2021, setting a new record for monthly sales

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

aside from the not-too-surprising reasons why homicide would be up in 2020, keep in mind that there was also a massive spike in gun sales in 2020. in fact, there were several spikes. one when the COVID shutdowns started, another when protests against police brutality ramped up in summer, and then another massive spike when Biden was inaugurated

nearly 40 million guns were sold in 2020, a record for yearly sales. and another 4 million were sold in January 2021, setting a new record for monthly sales

:aochloe:

This nation is already so over saturated with guns that this statistic is kind of meaningless

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

This nation is already so over saturated with guns that this statistic is kind of meaningless

It just means people that have dozens of guns already somehow needed more

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol just turn on the news, mass shootings are definitely back in fashion 🇺🇸

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

lol just turn on the news, mass shootings are definitely back in fashion 🇺🇸

Biden fulfilled his only promise, made America normal again

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

one quarter of all the tracked gun purchases January were sold in Illinois. literally 1 million purchases in one month in a state with a population of 12.6 million people

2nd place was Kentucky, with ~400k gun purchases in a state with a population of 4.4 million people

meanwhile, NY, MA, and DC combined had less than 100k gun sales that month

actually what the gently caress is up with Illinois anyway? it's topped the gun purchase numbers for a couple years now, with 7 million gun purchases that year - again, in a state with a total population of 12 million. in 2021 so far, there's already been another 3.5 million gun purchases there. if it keeps going at this rate, there's gonna be enough gun sales in IL this year to arm literally everyone in the state with brand-new freshly-manufactured guns, and still have some extras

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Main Paineframe posted:

big spree shootings where somebody shoots up a crowded public place were much less common in 2020, for reasons that should be p obvious

but there was a big spike in homicide in general, including gun homicides

how this affects the number of mass shootings depends on how a given source defines "mass shooting". for example, if a person shoots their neighbor, then goes home and shoots their four kids and then themself, is that a mass shooting? some trackers say yes

hey can you explain why the mass murder of communists is better than the mass murder of homosexuals?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

actually what the gently caress is up with Illinois anyway? it's topped the gun purchase numbers for a couple years now, with 7 million gun purchases that year - again, in a state with a total population of 12 million. in 2021 so far, there's already been another 3.5 million gun purchases there. if it keeps going at this rate, there's gonna be enough gun sales in IL this year to arm literally everyone in the state with brand-new freshly-manufactured guns, and still have some extras

if i had to guess, probably the existence of chicago and also the entire rest of the state being filled with chuds who think chicago is the most dangerous place on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Illinois just had a car jacking media frenzy. There was an actual spike in car jackings in some south side Chicago neighborhoods as far as I know, but plenty of people in exurban white flight towns freaked out too.