Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I searched but didn't find the conversations from the last few years: Flashcard apps?

I've got professional exams to revise for. Have some play credit. Cloud service syncing and desktop integration is nice but not required.

People seem to like this one and it seems to be well-supported. I haven't used it, so I can't give an opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I searched but didn't find the conversations from the last few years: Flashcard apps?

I've got professional exams to revise for. Have some play credit. Cloud service syncing and desktop integration is nice but not required.

I think it's Anki that uses the spaced repetition technique, which is supposed to be very effective.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I used Anki back when I was in grad school and it worked great. That was a decade ago, though, so I can't vouch for its current state or competitors.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Anki seems powerful and handy. Thanks all! Working on my cards.

Edit: any good card writing guides on how to make effective cards?

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 1, 2021

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I'm on Google Voice but not Google Fi.

Hangouts finally just stopped letting me send texts.
So I can use the Google Voice app, I guess, but then responses come back in both that and via a different number in Messages. Is there something else I should be using? Chat? Should I just port my number out of Google Voice before Google just decides to kill that entire service too?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Did it alert you that you couldn't text anymore, or did it just stop working? It seems to still be working for me, but I don't text that much, so now I'm worried it'll shut off and I won't notice that texts aren't coming in.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did it alert you that you couldn't text anymore, or did it just stop working? It seems to still be working for me, but I don't text that much, so now I'm worried it'll shut off and I won't notice that texts aren't coming in.

It has been yeah, ah the top of the app.

The input is just completely gone. Even on the website. I can still read messages fine.
I wouldn't mind if it was just like "use Google Voice", but the dual responses are awkward.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
same thing here. now i need an extra app on my phone and an another browser tab open. absolute horseshit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

So I'm on Google Voice but not Google Fi.

Hangouts finally just stopped letting me send texts.
So I can use the Google Voice app, I guess, but then responses come back in both that and via a different number in Messages. Is there something else I should be using? Chat? Should I just port my number out of Google Voice before Google just decides to kill that entire service too?

If your number is ported to Voice, why are you using Messages at all?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It came installed on my Pixel 3 and I can't uninstall it so... I don't "use" it, but it's still notifying me. IDK I guess very "Google" to preinstall THEIR messaging service on THEIR phone that doesn't work with THEIR other service.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

guessing he's got his carrier number linked and it's forwarding messages. you can't disable messages and you can't set GV as the default sms app. it doesn't happen for me, but i don't have any "Linked Numbers" in my GV settings

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

guessing he's got his carrier number linked and it's forwarding messages. you can't disable messages and you can't set GV as the default sms app. it doesn't happen for me, but i don't have any "Linked Numbers" in my GV settings
Oh yeah. I had a phone number...then years ago T-Mobile had a deal, but only for NEW numbers.... so I ported my existing number to GV, got a "new" account with T-Mobile and was able to keep my old number because it forwards(?) to the new T-Mobile number.

I can definitely afford to just pay for a new plan instead of the grandfathered one I have if all of this is going to be too convoluted to continue using.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

so you're using both numbers? my gv number is the one i give out, so i don't have any forwarding set up. my number was also ported from t-mobile but i wouldn't think that matters. here's what i'm talking about

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

so you're using both numbers? my gv number is the one i give out, so i don't have any forwarding set up. my number was also ported from t-mobile but i wouldn't think that matters. here's what i'm talking about

As far as that screen.. the top my "Google Voice number" is the number I give out to people that I ported to GV
Under "Android Device" it shows the number of the "new" account, probably because I linked it years ago.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Hi. Can someone recommend me a news app?
Short version: I'm Australian and ever since that news legislation passed Google news has turned into a cesspit.
Today I saw another "article" which was just another hate filled rant from a Murdoch subsidiary. I'm done with this poo poo. I just want the news and not extremist opinion pieces.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is there any way to blocks calls by name? Some debt recovery company keeps calling me every day, and it comes up as the same name, but a different number every time. I don't have debts in collection, and they won't leave a voicemail, so at this point it's just annoying. I would guess the answer is no, since it starts ringing long before it pulls the name, but maybe someone has some other solution.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

General_Failure posted:

Hi. Can someone recommend me a news app?
Short version: I'm Australian ....

Despite not being affected by the block you're referring to, I'll be honest, these days I go to the news sites in the browser. I've tried the apps for those sites but prefer the mobile web one.

Perhaps, if they still have RSS feeds, you could set up a TT-RSS instance?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So I'm interested in playing around with a raspberry Pi and my first project idea was a kitchen display with recipes, lists, news and weather widgets and I'd like to have voice command features (would love to find a recipe app that displays step by step instructions).

But I realized I have a Amazon Fire HD tablet that we don't use that I could root/jailbreak instead and maybe leave the Pi for something else.

I want a stripped down / minimalist user experience instead of just using stock Android but I also don't want to install some IoT operating system that will never have security updates.

So what options with android do I have to get the features I want, but maybe modifying the ui/ux to be more minimalist?

Let me know if this isn't the best thread for my project, couldn't find another equivalent.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Despite not being affected by the block you're referring to, I'll be honest, these days I go to the news sites in the browser. I've tried the apps for those sites but prefer the mobile web one.

Perhaps, if they still have RSS feeds, you could set up a TT-RSS instance?

Yeah I was thinking something like an RSS feed. I was just hoping that there was something a little more straightforward.
Thanks though. I should probably just go to the source like you said... Instead of following a link to the source via an app. I think the law was ill conceived and implemented even worse. Wouldn't have expected anything else though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I'm interested in playing around with a raspberry Pi and my first project idea was a kitchen display with recipes, lists, news and weather widgets and I'd like to have voice command features (would love to find a recipe app that displays step by step instructions).

But I realized I have a Amazon Fire HD tablet that we don't use that I could root/jailbreak instead and maybe leave the Pi for something else.

I want a stripped down / minimalist user experience instead of just using stock Android but I also don't want to install some IoT operating system that will never have security updates.

So what options with android do I have to get the features I want, but maybe modifying the ui/ux to be more minimalist?

Let me know if this isn't the best thread for my project, couldn't find another equivalent.

What model Fire and what version of Android is it on? I got a Fire around Christmas as a comics / videos / toddler distraction machine and while sideloading apps is really easy the bootloader is massively locked down compared to how things used to be. The most I was able to do was add Nova Launcher to improve the UI a bit and even that reverted after a random OS update.

I'd start by taking a look here to see what you can actually do with your version of the tablet:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v13-0.3889604/

It honestly sounds like what you're after is one of those Google Home devices with the screen. No idea how much of the app software for that is available elsewhere.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I use paprika for recipes on a fire hd 10 in the kitchen. Its only issue is the built in timers dont play nice with kindles but otherwise it's amazing for the job

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a good podcast app that lets you search by episode title within a single podcast?

There's a decade long podcast I am getting into and it's hard to get to the ancient episodes in Google Podcasts or Castbox.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pocketcasts does exactly that and even searches episode descriptions as well as titles

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

smoobles posted:

Is there a good podcast app that lets you search by episode title within a single podcast?

Pocket Casts has this, but I think it also searches through the episode descriptions which might be a small detriment more often than it is not.

Edit: Too slow.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Podcast Addict also does this

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

AntennaPod also does this.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looking for an app that would switch off a wifi with a poor signal to one with a better signal. Why isn't this native? Android will gladly use up data when the wifi signal is poor and completely neglect connecting to the perfectly fine other signal right there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

Looking for an app that would switch off a wifi with a poor signal to one with a better signal. Why isn't this native? Android will gladly use up data when the wifi signal is poor and completely neglect connecting to the perfectly fine other signal right there.

What's the use case here? A bunch of separate networks at a workplace where you want to hop from network to network as you walk around the complex?

I think it's not native because it's something that shouldn't really happen.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you're talking about two channels on the same network then you can just give them the same SSID / password and it'll connect to whichever is strongest, but you might not want to. I tried it for a while and in certain spots in the house it would continually switch between the two channels, briefly losing internet connectivity altogether when it did.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Party Boat posted:

If you're talking about two channels on the same network then you can just give them the same SSID / password and it'll connect to whichever is strongest, but you might not want to. I tried it for a while and in certain spots in the house it would continually switch between the two channels, briefly losing internet connectivity altogether when it did.

Are you talking about switching between two different bands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) because the word channel has a different meaning when it comes to wireless terminology.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yes, I am dumb and forgot the correct word.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have a problem with my phone; the music playing app stopped working. Google Play Music uninstalled itself and I can't figure out how to make it work. They want me to switch to Youtube Music, but I literally just use Google Play Music to listen to audio files on my phone. I don't do streaming or have an account or whatever, I literally just want to play the audio files on my phone.

Is there a good app for that? I'm not going to make an account, I'm not going to subscribe to anything, and I'm definitely not going to pay money. I just want to listen to songs and podcasts on my phone. If I go through files and click on the audio files individually a very simple player comes up but it forgets where I was if I pause and open a different app.

So that's the minimum I'm after, play audio files and remember where I paused them. I feel like this isn't a big ask and it's really infuriating that Google decided I shouldn't have that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Poweramp is the go-to recommendation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

At least it uninstalled itself. Mine is just disabled and I can't make it go away because it's a stock app that came with the phone. So it's just 30 mb being used for an app that doesn't run.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

At least it uninstalled itself. Mine is just disabled and I can't make it go away because it's a stock app that came with the phone. So it's just 30 mb being used for an app that doesn't run.

Not sure if this has changed since the last time I knew anything like a decade ago, but system apps are (maybe still?) on the system partition that is unavailable to you to use anyway. Also it's 30mb lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's the principle of the thing. I hate apps I can't uninstall, double so if I can't even run them.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LastInLine posted:

What's the use case here? A bunch of separate networks at a workplace where you want to hop from network to network as you walk around the complex?

I think it's not native because it's something that shouldn't really happen.
A house, but yes.
I didn't install it, not my house.

Nearly every company I have worked for has had a similar set up/issue. Even if it's not correct, it can't be uncommon.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 9, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

A house, but yes.
I didn't install it, not my house.

Nearly every company I have worked for has had a similar set up/issue. Even if it's not correct, it can't be uncommon.

Aside from the owner of the house doing a better job setting up a network, it sounds like you're screwed. Why would anyone set up two networks in a single home and switch between them? There are solutions to this problem which work.

Uthor posted:

It's the principle of the thing. I hate apps I can't uninstall, double so if I can't even run them.

You're in luck, kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I dunno, the internet company set it up that way. It's incredibly common. I have run into enough I'm shocked there is no native solution.