Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I had to reload for that during my last P5R playthrough too. :sigh:

Even worse, I wrote over my previous save and the most recent one I had left was the one from before my 4-hour jaunt through Mementos. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I didn’t experience that but I definitely hosed up at the beginning of Chihaya’s SL because I didn’t realize it would take a whole night

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

anakha posted:

Even worse, I wrote over my previous save and the most recent one I had left was the one from before my 4-hour jaunt through Mementos. :negative:

If it makes you feel any better those cafe hangouts are just short fluff scenes of you playing video games or watching a movie with whoever stops by, and doesn’t affect anything besides just giving a few confidant points and some skill points depending on the movie or game.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

DC Murderverse posted:

I know that’s a specific cultural difference; one of the “fun” things about Japan building a democracy in the 1950s specifically inspired by and partially created by the United States is that they internalized all of the rabid anti-drug messaging at face value without any of the racialized subtext that it was made with here.

I might be a little slow on the draw to this but Japan didn't just cargo cult American anti-drug culture, every single one of their Pacific Rim contemporaries dealt with the European powers using opium distribution to further colonial goals and subjugation and even in the periods where Japan was most secluded from global affairs they were aware of that.

It's the same reason China/Indonesia/Singapore/Malaysia fast-track you to death row for having drugs in saleable quantities.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hunt11 posted:

Finally got past New Years in my second playthrough of Royal. I had forgotten just how refreshing/fun it was to have Akechi drop the act and be the monster that he really is.

Kasumi being like "Um is he okay" and Joker just being like "yeah this pretty much akechi's normal" was a good laugh.

The three of them are fun and I wish there was more than just two short days of it being just them.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I might be a little slow on the draw to this but Japan didn't just cargo cult American anti-drug culture, every single one of their Pacific Rim contemporaries dealt with the European powers using opium distribution to further colonial goals and subjugation and even in the periods where Japan was most secluded from global affairs they were aware of that.

It's the same reason China/Indonesia/Singapore/Malaysia fast-track you to death row for having drugs in saleable quantities.

Drug use also exploded after WW2 when the millitary dumped all their meth onto the market, and then again in the recession in the 90s with cocaine.

Regardless even if the phantom thieves are squares I think it's kinda okay that they don't shoot heroin or anything and wouldn't hold that against them.

DC Murderverse posted:

On multiple occasions the main characters say “well there’s no way we could drink alcohol, we’re minors!” with a straight face, which in a US-set game would be followed by a pause and raucous laughter as each of the teens explains that they’ve got a relative or friend that they could absolutely score booze from, no problem.

(Note: Unlike the drug thing I haven't personally talked to any experts in the field so this is all secondhand knowledge and reading articles on the internet I've done years ago)

They probably don't do that because underaged drinking is kind-of a problem in japan. While it's up to your individual morals on if people of any age should drink or use drugs (I'm against it but I won't force my views on other people or anything), I think most people can agree that science has indicated teenagers shouldn't and it has also indicated that teenagers in japan that haven't at least tried alchohol are in the minority.

Does that mean Japan has an epidemic of brain-damaged teenagers due to drinking? I have no idea, it's not something I've looked into. Probably still isn't something that should be encouraged, though.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 1, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

anakha posted:

If it’s any comfort P5R is by far the most generous and laid back game in the history of the franchise. The fortune telling ability completely eliminates the need for hangouts.

If you treat it at all like P3/P4 you’re gonna end up with a month of free time toward the end to spend at the gym or whatever.

As long as you stick to good habits like doing as much of a dungeon as you can in a single day, saving Mementos missions to do a bunch all at once, and being diligent about stats/social links, it’s hard for things to go too terribly wrong.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Make sure to check both arcades I've hosed myself over on three files by not starting a link, I keep forgetting which arcade it starts in

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Kasumi being like "Um is he okay" and Joker just being like "yeah this pretty much akechi's normal" was a good laugh.

The three of them are fun and I wish there was more than just two short days of it being just them.

I'd pay for a DLC that made Akechi the navigator the entire game, even if it wouldn't make sense.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

3/31 is the most slept on track in the series

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
i'm a sucker for Kichijoji 199X because it's a cover/expansion of the theme used in SMT's Kichijoji, which was basically the "starter town" in that game. i watched a playthrough of that one too, but i didn't realize at all until i looked into it, as i'd wondered why "199X" was in the title instead of "201X" lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They been remixing the SMT1 and 2 soundtrack for ages, The teaser for Final was SMT1's Title Theme, then SMT2's, then SMT3's all remixed. It was extremely exciting.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Harrow posted:

Where's our cool delinquent girl?

Stuck in persona 4, unfortunately!

I have to say I wouldn't mind the next persona to have a trashfire main group instead of the classic chariot-magician-lovers-priestess-emperor-empress arcana. Tower, moon, death, hanged man social links as your party members, just give me a main cast of people who are totally disfunctional.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gaius Marius posted:

Make sure to check both arcades I've hosed myself over on three files by not starting a link, I keep forgetting which arcade it starts in

Doesn't it kinda start organically by you accepting a request you can't beat unless you talk to that Confidant? From there you can just narrow it down.

Deltasquid posted:

I have to say I wouldn't mind the next persona to have a trashfire main group instead of the classic chariot-magician-lovers-priestess-emperor-empress arcana. Tower, moon, death, hanged man social links as your party members, just give me a main cast of people who are totally disfunctional.

Well outside of the usual suspects, we've had Hierophant (Shinjiro), Fortune (Naoto), Strength (Koromaru), Justice (Ken/Akechi), Star (Teddie). Most of them are fairly positive arcana though.

Moon isn't really a negative Arcana however, and Death and Hanged Man are at worst melancholic. Tower is the real trashfire.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
make Tower the MC's ultimate persona for some real Disaster Dumbass energy

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Well P5 didn't come out on the PC so I'm going to avoid this thread until it does. SO see ya in like 4 years when you're all on P6: The Prime Minister and steam gets a release of P5R

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

YaketySass posted:

make Tower the MC's ultimate persona for some real Disaster Dumbass energy

Yoshitsune is indeed Tower

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Newbie Question:

How often should I talk to enemies in dungeons? It seems like I should just recruit the Persona otherwise I should All-Out Attack. Is that the right strategy?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Newbie Question:

How often should I talk to enemies in dungeons? It seems like I should just recruit the Persona otherwise I should All-Out Attack. Is that the right strategy?

The Sun Confident has abilities that'll let you extort more money and items from Shadows in negotiations, but otherwise yeah - recruit one so you can record them in the Compendium in the Velvet Room (if nothing else), and otherwise just All Out Attack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Newbie Question:

Generally I only bother negotiating with Shadows when I want to recruit the Persona. Otherwise I just kill them. Negotiating for money and items can be good but you get so much money in Mementos in Royal that it's not really a huge concern. Later on, your navigator will get an ability that will also let you know when it's worth it to negotiate for an item.

Where you are right now, an All-Out Attack is usually the best option when you have every Shadow knocked down and you don't need to recruit any of them. Later in the game, when you power up your Baton Pass to provide a bigger damage boost, you might sometimes get more oomph out of backing out of the hold up and passing the baton to someone else so they can nuke with a big damage skill. It's situational.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Deltasquid posted:

Nobody said it yet so I guess I am obligated to.
Persona 1 and 2 had Moon, Hanged Man, Death, and Devil party members. No Towers though
Persona 1 also has a cool delinquent girl in the party, also a party member in P2 but more reformed.

Basically the story of Persona 3 established the Death arcana as a special threshold of sorts and none of the human characters were allowed to have arcana numbered higher than Death. For the party members in subsequent games, IIRC only Teddie has had a higher numbered arcana than Death, probably because he's not human and was originally a Shadow.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 2, 2021

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

afaik yukino was already pretty chilled out in persona 1 as a ex-delinquent whos kind and supportive but also tough (the empress), which carries over to 2 :)

there were some tower personas in the first 2 games also, but i can't recall which party members had a higher affinity with em...

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Appreciate the comments. They help a lot!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Booky posted:

afaik yukino was already pretty chilled out in persona 1 as a ex-delinquent whos kind and supportive but also tough (the empress), which carries over to 2 :)

there were some tower personas in the first 2 games also, but i can't recall which party members had a higher affinity with em...

I'm aware that personality wise she was pretty much reformed in P1, though I just meant that visually speaking her P1 version looks like a Japanese delinquent schoolgirl stereotype and she throws razors as a weapon, which gets dropped in her P2 incarnation for a more normal look.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Item Getter posted:

I'm aware that personality wise she was pretty much reformed in P1, though I just meant that visually speaking her P1 version looks like a Japanese delinquent schoolgirl stereotype and she throws razors as a weapon, which gets dropped in her P2 incarnation for a more normal look.

ah oops, i thought it was about personality :doh:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deltasquid posted:

P4 had one of those? I legitimately don't remember.

Booky posted:

OG Persona only had two Tower persona, Nyarthalotep and some other one. Nyarthalotep had "Worst" affinity with everyone except Reiji, though I don't remember if he had an actually good one or just less bad.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Doesn't it kinda start organically by you accepting a request you can't beat unless you talk to that Confidant? From there you can just narrow it down.

Well outside of the usual suspects, we've had Hierophant (Shinjiro), Fortune (Naoto), Strength (Koromaru), Justice (Ken/Akechi), Star (Teddie). Most of them are fairly positive arcana though.

Moon isn't really a negative Arcana however, and Death and Hanged Man are at worst melancholic. Tower is the real trashfire.

Moon is one of the most often negative Arcana outside of Tower, but yeah there's none that are strictly negative or anything.

Persona 3 had probably the most dysfunctional party dynamic of the modern personas and it's also the one I found most interesting. A bit of conflict is good, at least when it isn't awful like Yosuke calling Kanji gay or Morgana and Ryuji's dumbass slapfight.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 2, 2021

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Acerbatus posted:

P4 had one of those? I legitimately don't remember.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I cannot decide if I feel really sorry for Yosuke and want to be closer to him, or if I want to punch him in his sexist/homophobic face.

In short. Yosuke is a land of contrasts.

*EDIT*

Oh hey I just completed Yosuke's social link and got to punch him in the face

Thanks game! That was satisfying.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 3, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yosuke has Teddie living in his closet, there's no greater hell that can be inflicted on him.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

OG Persona only had two Tower persona, Nyarthalotep and some other one. Nyarthalotep had "Worst" affinity with everyone except Reiji, though I don't remember if he had an actually good one or just less bad.

The other one is Amatsu-Mikaboshi/Shaa (Revelations); and only Reiji could use Nyaralathotep while all the men could use the other. Both Towers sucked though. That arcana had some really good persona in the second game but only Baofu could reliably get any good use out of them. It wasn't until 3 onward that the arcana housed some loving monsters.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think about the weird name changes in Revelations: Persona a lot, but I keep forgetting they also changed the persona names to dumb stuff too.

Every time I think the translation couldn't get any worse it does.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yes let's just forget all this mythology and pull random names out of our rear end
They also somehow managed to come up with English spell names that were even more confusing than the standard Agi. Bufu etc is to first time players.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When I realized that translation job was done in 9 months a lot of the choices made make a lot more sense

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gaius Marius posted:

When I realized that translation job was done in 9 months a lot of the choices made make a lot more sense

This is almost certainly the reason for a lot of PS1 era localizations being what they were.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My first run-in with the Futaba Palace boss in one image:

The storyline at the end of that Palace was pretty uncomfortable for me, but I guess that was the intention.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yukino's design in P2 was pretty cool, and I liked her beanie. It was pretty cool how she got a lot of focus in IS.

Booky posted:

The Tower Personas in 2 were weird. No one is capable of having Best affinity with any of them, with Baofu being the only person to have Good affinity. The only Persona that breaks the rules is Loki, who has Normal affinity with every party member.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Yukino's design in P2 was pretty cool, and I liked her beanie. It was pretty cool how she got a lot of focus in IS.

Yukino was cool, I love how they updated her design to incorporate her new life while keeping aspects of her old look.

All the P1 cast looked pretty dope, but Maki was straight styling

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished maxing out Sun. Favorite Social Link storyline in the game so far, but holy poo poo, the identities of the Phantom Thieves must be the worst-kept secret in Tokyo. :lol:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The only people who don't know are the cops, apparently.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For how much the game treats it as a joke (and as bad as it is to cheat on anyone) cheating on Futaba, Kasumi or Haru really just feels especially hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

The only people who don't know are the cops, apparently.

Strikers pretty much has the cops being very aware, too.