Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

212 is when the water would theoretically boil, so as long as you don't hit that it's probably A- good instead of A+ good.

Does it look like it should look? Probably a silly question but I’ve only ever seen brisket sliced up. It shrank a good deal too so it looks like I’ll be cubing the point and doing burnt ends sooner than I planned because we had plans to eat some of the brisket and save the rest for other applications like brisket tacos or chili. But now it seems it’s good for two meals or one and leftovers

Also do I need to rest it if we aren’t eating it tonight?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The look question would be answered by slicing it. As far as resting goes, the main thing is to not let it get below 140. You could let it rest until it gets close to 140, after that you'll need to freeze it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The look question would be answered by slicing it. As far as resting goes, the main thing is to not let it get below 140. You could let it rest until it gets close to 140, after that you'll need to freeze it.

You mean...if I slice it I can’t just throw it in the fridge?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I made St. Louis cut ribs today and I need some help. I did 6 hours at 250 with no wrap, no 3-2-1. Just rub and smoke.

Once cut the individual ribs near the ends always have those tendon-like gelatinous tendrils going through them and they’re kind of obnoxious to chew. The slab I get from the rib shack doesn’t ever have anything like this. Do I need to go longer to render them out? Longer rest?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Hed posted:

I made St. Louis cut ribs today and I need some help. I did 6 hours at 250 with no wrap, no 3-2-1. Just rub and smoke.

Once cut the individual ribs near the ends always have those tendon-like gelatinous tendrils going through them and they’re kind of obnoxious to chew. The slab I get from the rib shack doesn’t ever have anything like this. Do I need to go longer to render them out? Longer rest?

Those things are why I always get baby back. I think you’re supposed to trim them off during prep. Someone correct me if I’m wrong . They won’t render.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

life is killing me posted:

You mean...if I slice it I can’t just throw it in the fridge?

The danger zone is 40 to 140. Keep your fridge below 40 and you're fine.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob A Feet posted:

Those things are why I always get baby back. I think you’re supposed to trim them off during prep. Someone correct me if I’m wrong . They won’t render.

That makes sense and I think I figured it out. Here's the pic I couldn't post last night:

There's definitely rib tips on that one closest to the camera, you can make it out. So Costco is blaspheming and calling those "St Louis Cut" when they are not. I'll trim them off in the future.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Since I had to Google it to figure out what you were talking about, might as well share it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/how-to-trim-pork-spare-ribs-st-louis-style.html

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Any tips on a flat only brisket smoke? I promised my wife brisket and have only ever done packers. My grocery store only had flats. Planning to do just the same ole thing (salt and pepper over hickory at 250-275) unless anyone’s got some good tips!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't treat it any differently, myself. It'll cook faster, stall faster, finish faster, and cool faster. If I were feeling adventurous I'd try smoking at 275. Some people swear by using hotter cooks and a smaller cut should be conducive for good results

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For smaller ones you might want to inject with beef broth/stock before you salt it. The smaller ones can dry out easier in a long cook.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Any tips on a flat only brisket smoke? I promised my wife brisket and have only ever done packers. My grocery store only had flats. Planning to do just the same ole thing (salt and pepper over hickory at 250-275) unless anyone’s got some good tips!

I found out yesterday that yeah, almost no stall, and mine went to 209 which basically killed the very ends and made them inedible. The rest of the flat was fine if slightly a tad dry. It was still delicious, just tougher than I meant it to be. I pushed the ambient to 250 to try and power past the stall because I had someplace to be and didn’t have the time—so when I came back the brisket was beyond 202 internal.

I’d have left mine at 225 otherwise. I’m hoping I can take this experience and use it to do a better job on the point later on. I can’t do a packer in my smoker because it’s too small.

All I can think of is maybe to remember carryover, pull yours out at 195 and let it rest for an hour or two because the flat is so lean it needs the rest? Or maybe I’m just a dumbshit who has no business giving advice being that I’m pretty new to smoking brisket

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hed posted:

There's definitely rib tips on that one closest to the camera, you can make it out. So Costco is blaspheming and calling those "St Louis Cut" when they are not. I'll trim them off in the future.

FWIW the rib tips are delicious. Next time trim them off and cook them just like the rest of the ribs, just since they are smaller pull em a bit earlier. All that tendon makes them lip smackingly good.

Or, throw them in with stew or to flavor some beans or whatever.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Awesome, thanks. I’m going to try ‘em in red beans and rice when we get back to the cool season.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Gonna do a brisket for my first overnight smoke tonight. Using it for brunch bowls tomorrow. Gonna be great.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
A productive day yesterday.

First off, beef short rib, dry rubbed with paprika, salt, garlic, and onion:

Cherry coke marinated beef skirt:

Hoisin pork tenderloin:

Treacle and thyme-rubbed turkey leg:

Chicken legs and mojito-marinated wings.

Also a bunch of burgers, sausage, frankfurter, etc through the day just to keep things rolling.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Olpainless posted:

A productive day yesterday.

First off, beef short rib, dry rubbed with paprika, salt, garlic, and onion:

Cherry coke marinated beef skirt:

Hoisin pork tenderloin:

Treacle and thyme-rubbed turkey leg:

Chicken legs and mojito-marinated wings.

Also a bunch of burgers, sausage, frankfurter, etc through the day just to keep things rolling.

All of that looks loving delicious but JFC who in the world were you cooking for with all that plus burgers and dogs and poo poo?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That is a marathon of a cook. Congrats on getting though it.

Wife works this weekend so the Easter smoke will be next weekend for me. Nothing too crazy, just a bunch of ribs. Pork belly if I'm feeling adventurous.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Here is a turkey breast I just smoked. It is probably oversmoked due to novice mistakes I realized I made after it was too late to correct it. It also finished pretty quickly - maybe an hour and 15 - because it was already split and I ran my temps on the high side. However it is the first one I pulled off that had an appetizing looking skin, so calling this a win overall.

I am hoping it turned out ok, guess I will know in a few hours. Pray for me, Smoker Goons

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

life is killing me posted:

All of that looks loving delicious but JFC who in the world were you cooking for with all that plus burgers and dogs and poo poo?

Managed to finally get brother in law and family down now that outdoor meting is an option, so wanted to put on a good menu. A lot of this was devoured and the spare chicken is going in a stroganoff as I type.

Was exhausting though, basically morning till dusk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Random Hero posted:

Here's my first attempt at pastrami from scratch. I had a full packer brisket in my freezer so I decided to use the point for some burnt ends and cure the flat for corned beef and then pastrami.

Process for the Pastrami:

• I followed this recipe pretty closely for the cure and let that sit for 6 days flipping it two times throughout.
  • After the 6 days, I removed it from the cure, rinsed it and let it soak in water for about 4 hours
  • Rubbed with coarse ground black pepper, coriander and mustard seed.
  • Smoked in my WSM at 225-250 over oak and apple for ~10hrs until it hit 203. Wrapped at 165 in butcher paper.
  • Rested for 3-4 hours wrapped in a towel in a cooler until we were ready to eat.

Overall, I was pretty happy with it for a first go at pastrami, but I'd like to dial back the salt a little bit and I like salty food. I'm not sure if that had more to do with the cure or maybe I should have soaked it longer like overnight. It still made for an amazing sandwich on homemade sourdough with swiss, black pepper mayo and a light slaw:

I desalinated my pastrami for several hours and I think it turned out way too unsalted. I like very salt sandwich toppings, but I am not american and it's not the custom here to put such large amounts of meat on bread, only a thin slices. Still even accounting for that, mine was disappointing because of this. I am gonna remember your recipe.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

all of that looks absolutely amazing, good lord

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The cheater burnt ends I made with smoked beef chuck came out excellent! Will definitely be using that cut again.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The cheater burnt ends I made with smoked beef chuck came out excellent! Will definitely be using that cut again.

That looks INCREDIBLE. drat.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

pork butts pork Butts Pork Butts PORK BUTTS PORK BUTTS

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I would let those butts twerk on me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Anyone here in Australia? What all smokers are available/recommended over there?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Can't you guys simply place meat on racks outside at this point?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Also pretty sure you can just build your own extra large smoker out of a single can of Fosters.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone know how long a sealed packer will last? I bought one two weeks ago and it doesn't have a best-before date on it. I called the butcher and they said they're still using the same shipment, so I presume it's still good.

I'll crack it open tomorrow and see if it's really funky, which is tricky because vac sealed meat is usually funky when you open it up.

I finally got around to trimming this sucker tonight. No funky smell what-so-ever, so I'm good. I was planning on cooking it as a whole packer, but the FAT. I think I lost a quarter of the packer when trimming. I'm not a brisket expert by any means, but this seemed beyond the pale. I ended up separating the brisket so I could trim the fat there and the point looks almost as big and flat as the flat. Just weird. Anyways, I salted it and will let it dry brine overnight and cook it in the morning. I guess I'll put the flat on the bottom rack and the point on top, and cook at 225 with pecan wood.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It sounds like you might have taken a little too much fat off, but that's okay. I save it and when I get enough I make beef tallow with it. Easy to do and keeps forever frozen/refrigerated.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I trim it all off. Most of that stuff won’t render and will just be hanging there when you slice. The juicy fat that causes the stall and makes the brisket super good is intramuscular. Same goes for pork butts.

There is a technique to get the fat between the point and flat. Gotta kinda carve a wedge in between the two.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Aaron Franklin has some pretty good videos on trimming briskets. His most indepth one that's free is his Texas A&M guest lecture. He comments how much money he's throwing in the trash every time he takes a slice out. You remove A LOT of weight when you trim it properly.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

Aaron Franklin has some pretty good videos on trimming briskets. His most indepth one that's free is his Texas A&M guest lecture. He comments how much money he's throwing in the trash every time he takes a slice out. You remove A LOT of weight when you trim it properly.

I was going to chime in with Franklin's videos as well. He trims a LOT off. But he is also trying to make his brisket cook consistently over thousands of iterations over every combination of variable and across years of time. Ideally, he wants your experience with his brisket to be as good today as it was three years ago and will be three years from now on any given day you drop in.

A skilled home cook can probably be less aggressive and get good results with more care and attention to detail then Franklin's can do at 2am every night.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've been told that this is the thread for cool people who grill and smoke stuff. I'm buying a house at the end of the month and will finally have outdoor space for some sort of grilling device. What's the best grill for someone who's new to the game? Just one of those classic black Weber grills? Let's say nothing over $200.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yup a Weber Kettle is going to fit that bill nicely. The higher end versions are $160. You'll need utensils, a decent temp probe, a rain cover, and a lid hanger which will more than eat up the rest of the cash. The kettle is great for searing and grilling. With a little more work and money, can be made into an okay entry level smoker as well. But trust me when I say if you get even slightly good at this, it gets more expensive than the other kind of smoking.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Counter: you really don't need a cover for a classic kettle, just close the vents every time. Mine has been in the weather for 6 years now with zero sign of rust, at worst the plastic handles are fading. I think the enamel paint is better than it used to be (I have the copper color which looks fancy)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up a 22" Weber charcoal kettle to supplement my Traeger smoker this week. Hoping this rain clears off enough that I can break it in this weekend.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I'm thinking of upgrading my weber smokey mountain with a fan controller of some sort. Do you guys have a preference? I want something that can be monitored remotely and has at least two meat probes. I've done a couple overnight smokes and I'm willing to put some money into not getting up at 3am to get the temperature under control.

The Pit master IQ 130 looks like the most affordable option that does what I want, but the app has terrible enough reviews that I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

I see a few higher end options, Fireboard Drive, auber instruments, BBQ guru ultraQ, and flame boss 500 all fit the bill and seem really similar at about $300-$350 all said and done. Are any particularly better than the others?

There's also the Heater meter open source project which looks pretty cool, but probably ends up being more time and effort to get working just right than you'd save with controlled cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grandito posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my weber smokey mountain with a fan controller of some sort. Do you guys have a preference? I want something that can be monitored remotely and has at least two meat probes. I've done a couple overnight smokes and I'm willing to put some money into not getting up at 3am to get the temperature under control.

The Pit master IQ 130 looks like the most affordable option that does what I want, but the app has terrible enough reviews that I'm afraid to pull the trigger.

I see a few higher end options, Fireboard Drive, auber instruments, BBQ guru ultraQ, and flame boss 500 all fit the bill and seem really similar at about $300-$350 all said and done. Are any particularly better than the others?

There's also the Heater meter open source project which looks pretty cool, but probably ends up being more time and effort to get working just right than you'd save with controlled cooking.

I got a Fireboard and a fan for Christmas and it's pretty cool I gotta say.
I got this fan, and very important do not forget like I did the weber adapter.