Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ffycchi posted:

Pleeese buy the alera elusion.

Seriously. It fits from my 5' wife to my 6'1 frame.

5 year warranty, 2 years if it's the fabric/vinyl/leather, and any warranty claims must be done through the reseller rather than through Alera directly. No surprise it's cheaper than the big name stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

star eater posted:

Is BTOD.com a legit site? I saw another site recommend them for refurbished leaps.

Looks like they have refurbished V2 Leaps for 500~ bucks.

While I've never purchased anything from there, their YouTube presence is top-notch. I used a LOT of their videos to try and help determine what chair I wanted for my COVID WFH purchase. Extremely good content.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

isndl posted:

5 year warranty, 2 years if it's the fabric/vinyl/leather, and any warranty claims must be done through the reseller rather than through Alera directly. No surprise it's cheaper than the big name stuff

If you want comfort at a lower price, you have to give up some bits.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I think I’m just gonna keep looking on Craigslist for an Aeron or Mirra 2. I’m willing to spend a bit more than that for a chair considering it will be used so much. My safety is, quite literally, in the palm of his hand considering he lifts me so much.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ffycchi posted:

If you want comfort at a lower price, you have to give up some bits.

Yeah sure, but the Ikea Jarvfjallet is right there with a 10 year warranty.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

isndl posted:

Yeah sure, but the Ikea Jarvfjallet is right there with a 10 year warranty.

I'd go sit in a Markus first. It has issues with armrests and not really fitting everyone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ffycchi posted:

Pleeese buy the alera elusion.

Seriously. It fits from my 5' wife to my 6'1 frame.

Are these the go-to for the lower end of budgets? I've never spent more than like $60 on chairs so the idea of spending $500 for one is a little hard to swallow. But $120-150 is something I could work with no problem.

isndl
May 2, 2012

cage-free egghead posted:

Are these the go-to for the lower end of budgets? I've never spent more than like $60 on chairs so the idea of spending $500 for one is a little hard to swallow. But $120-150 is something I could work with no problem.

As a general rule, if you want something that lasts you look for something with a long warranty. The corollary to this is that anything cheap likely got there by using less durable parts, and will have a short warranty.

For a low budget in the $150 range you're fairly limited in options for good chairs; I tend to recommend Ikea because they are available worldwide and have some options that fit in the 'budget chair with long warranty' niche but your mileage may vary. The other option is you hunt around for secondhand chairs but it'll be luck of the draw as to what is available in your area.

Note that ergonomics is a separate matter and budget chairs rarely have more than a couple adjustments. Everyone has different preferences and habits so you should always go for a test sitting in a showroom if you can. If you spend any significant time in your chair though (say, working from home in the post-COVID era) you really should consider increasing your budget as well because the quality jumps are significant.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kroy chair disassembled and going in for a return. $120 gamble didn't turn out in my favor but at least it started having problems in the return window. Back to the search.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

isndl posted:

As a general rule, if you want something that lasts you look for something with a long warranty. The corollary to this is that anything cheap likely got there by using less durable parts, and will have a short warranty.

For a low budget in the $150 range you're fairly limited in options for good chairs; I tend to recommend Ikea because they are available worldwide and have some options that fit in the 'budget chair with long warranty' niche but your mileage may vary. The other option is you hunt around for secondhand chairs but it'll be luck of the draw as to what is available in your area.

Note that ergonomics is a separate matter and budget chairs rarely have more than a couple adjustments. Everyone has different preferences and habits so you should always go for a test sitting in a showroom if you can. If you spend any significant time in your chair though (say, working from home in the post-COVID era) you really should consider increasing your budget as well because the quality jumps are significant.

Appreciate the insight. I hadn't really gave warranties much thought but saw that Ikea offers a 10 year one, which is nuts to me. The Markus or Jarvfjallet are the go-to ones I'm guessing and I could definitely stretch out my budget to those given how much I'd use it.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Had a leap v2 I got for $160 from this local liquidation place in Minneapolis in like 2013:
http://www.furnishofficeandhome.org/index.php/recent-arrivals

Well it took that long for me to snap the main metal frame under the seat, and that doesn't seem replaceable or I can't find the parts for it. It seems like I need to buy other people's broken chairs off of Craigslist to get the part.

Ended up pulling the trigger on a Madison seating fully loaded Leap v2 off ebay for $400, says it'll be here in a few days already. I understand the company isn't fully on the level, but didn't want to pick out another coffee stained office chair and have to live with that for another decade until I have to replace it again.

The idea of having a reclining footrest office chair caused me to research a lot of disturbingly low priced chairs with that feature, anyone have one that they recommend? My work desk has been using a lovely task chair for a while, as my job has me on conference calls all day the reclining footrest thing seems rad to me.

Oppression fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 3, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oppression posted:

Had a leap v2 I got for $160 from this local liquidation place in Minneapolis in like 2013:
http://www.furnishofficeandhome.org/index.php/recent-arrivals
Ended up pulling the trigger on a Madison seating fully loaded Leap v2 off ebay for $400, says it'll be here in a few days already. I understand the company isn't fully on the level, but didn't want to pick out another coffee stained office chair and have to live with that for another decade until I have to replace it again.

Can you report back with your experience with Madison? I have a friend who used them and recommends them frequently; I'm wondering if maybe it's possible the thread consensus on them wasn't wrong.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

disaster pastor posted:

Update: I got the Titan in fabric, I also got covers because I'm paranoid, and I am very much liking it so far. It really does feel like an office chair masquerading as a gamer chair instead of vice versa.

Necropost, but where did you find covers?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Zarin posted:

Can you report back with your experience with Madison? I have a friend who used them and recommends them frequently; I'm wondering if maybe it's possible the thread consensus on them wasn't wrong.

Me and a buddy both ordered refurb leaps from them at the same time a couple months ago. His was fine, mine showed up with the lumbar adjuster disconnected and was shedding upholstery staples in like 3 hours. At first they offered 30% off and then gave me a full refund and payed for return shipping. I wouldn't buy from them outside of ebay.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Yerok posted:

Me and a buddy both ordered refurb leaps from them at the same time a couple months ago. His was fine, mine showed up with the lumbar adjuster disconnected and was shedding upholstery staples in like 3 hours. At first they offered 30% off and then gave me a full refund and payed for return shipping. I wouldn't buy from them outside of ebay.

Hadn't even considered the Ebay angle, that's probably a Pro Tip(TM)

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
I recently bought an aeron from them on ebay that got roughed up by fedex, a hole knocked in the box caused the rubber on the tilt tension knob to get pretty badly rubbed up, they offered me the 30 percent back and I decided to take the offer, because the chair seemed fine otherwise and it wasn't a bad price. But yeah, I would explore basically any other option next time, was a time (pandemic) and place (rural south east US) thing

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I’m looking for chair advice, centered around some poo poo I’ve figured out about my body. A year ago I was getting leg and foot nerve pain, and I think I tracked it back to piriformis issues and stretching has it mostly in check. I got work to buy me a leap (after testing steelcase and Herman Miller chairs for a half hour) and discovered it really brought the pain after several hours (back felt great though!). Went back to the conference chair which was not bad that I had switched out from the original standard chair. Main difference between one that worked and those that don’t is seat pan tilt - I need a flat chair with lots of padding, with the front not angled up. Aeron doesn’t work since it cuts into the side of my thighs. Also 6’3” and wide in shoulders and legs/hip. Got some anterior posterior tilt going too. $400 plus - anybody in the ballpark of this have a chair they like?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Enderzero posted:

I’m looking for chair advice, centered around some poo poo I’ve figured out about my body. A year ago I was getting leg and foot nerve pain, and I think I tracked it back to piriformis issues and stretching has it mostly in check. I got work to buy me a leap (after testing steelcase and Herman Miller chairs for a half hour) and discovered it really brought the pain after several hours (back felt great though!). Went back to the conference chair which was not bad that I had switched out from the original standard chair. Main difference between one that worked and those that don’t is seat pan tilt - I need a flat chair with lots of padding, with the front not angled up. Aeron doesn’t work since it cuts into the side of my thighs. Also 6’3” and wide in shoulders and legs/hip. Got some anterior posterior tilt going too. $400 plus - anybody in the ballpark of this have a chair they like?

Just to clarify: you want the seat pan to NOT tilt when you lean back?

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug

Zarin posted:

Just got the Leap V2 from Madison today, 6 days after ordering. Box wasn't damaged, all parts were included. The only damage I found was one tiny little defect in the seat fabric that was too small to clearly photograph, kind of like a micro-sized sweater pill. Overall pretty satisfied with the purchase. Just found out that my brother-in-law had been one of the people who ordered a seat from them and they never shipped it ever, so it was nice to see a Fedex tracking number show up right away.

Anyone have any advice on what to do with the old, broken leap? Craigslist for $25? Strip for parts?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Zarin posted:

Just to clarify: you want the seat pan to NOT tilt when you lean back?

Sorry, what I meant was chairs with the front end of the seat slightly higher than the back don't work for me, they end up putting more pressure on my butt and loving with my nerves, and it feels like it contributes to anterior pelvic tilt because you're being very slightly jackknifed into the seat, what with your legs a little higher and your butt a little lower. Also not a fan of having a depression in the center of the seat with the sides slightly higher to "cradle" you because I'm rather wide and that just adds pressure to the sides of my legs (similar to Aeron's cutting into my thighs - damnit Aeron, you're so good otherwise). The image I've uploaded should make it more clear. Flat, padded seat like the white one on the left, not ones with front seat higher than back or cradling like the two on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Enderzero posted:

Sorry, what I meant was chairs with the front end of the seat slightly higher than the back don't work for me, they end up putting more pressure on my butt and loving with my nerves, and it feels like it contributes to anterior pelvic tilt because you're being very slightly jackknifed into the seat, what with your legs a little higher and your butt a little lower. Also not a fan of having a depression in the center of the seat with the sides slightly higher to "cradle" you because I'm rather wide and that just adds pressure to the sides of my legs (similar to Aeron's cutting into my thighs - damnit Aeron, you're so good otherwise). The image I've uploaded should make it more clear. Flat, padded seat like the white one on the left, not ones with front seat higher than back or cradling like the two on the right.

Gotcha!

Okay, you might like the Mirra 2 then (Also a Herman Miller chair; very similar to the Aeron). I believe the frame around the mesh is much less aggressive, and one of the options it can come with is a seat pan depth adjustment at the front of the seat that allows you to adjust it in such a way that it takes the pressure off your thighs.

Let me see if I can find that post from Napalm about it.

Edit: It was a longer conversation than I remembered!

jammyozzy posted:

I'm window-shopping chairs to replace my disintegrating no-name POS, and there's a bunch of Mirra's available near me for ~£300 "refurbished".

I had an Aeron at a job years ago, and I adored it except the plastic seat frame dug into the back of my thighs. Does anybody have an idea if the Mirra will have the same issue? I'd go sit in one but, well, covid.

NapalmWeasel posted:

I would assume these are Mirra 2 chairs? I've never seen a regular Mirra in any of the searching I've done, so maybe my answer is a bit off. One of the nice options that I got for my Mirra 2 is the FlexFront Adjustment. It's just a small lever under the front of the seat that lets you raise or lower just the front of the seat. If you're able to sit in them, look for that; if browsing online, look at the full features list if that's available or ask if that's on the chairs.

The Lone Lemon posted:

I have a Mirra (1) and if the seat has the flex foldy option (I forget what it's called), you can bend it down if it's bugging your legs. I love mine to death, but it is pushing 20 years of service and is beginning to disintegrate.

On that subject, if anyone knows somewhere to get affordable chairs in Japan, I'd be grateful. I've checked Office Busters, and their prices are on the high side of okay, but there must be other liquidators and a glut of chairs with offices going online left, right, and centre.
HM Japan quoted me 65,000 yen to repair (600+ U.S. buckaroos), which is 25% more than a used chair. I was hoping they'd give me a deal and sell me the parts since the Mirra 1 is out of production, but no go.

DoctorTristan posted:

That’s a common complaint about the Aeron (assuming you meant that the seat front digs into the backs of your thighs- if it’s digging into your calves you’re sitting in it very wrong); apparently the recent models have been redesigned to reduce it.

The Mirra2 has a slightly different shape at the front and has extra support just behind the front edge that make this much less of an issue than with the Aeron. In addition - as other posters mentioned above - some models have an extra adjustment that lets you rotate the front edge of the seat downwards; using this will basically guarantee that the seat front won’t dig into your legs. A cheap refurbished model may not have this however.

Wot what it’s worth, when I’m sitting upright in mine with my feet on the floor I don’t have any issues with the seat digging into my thighs, but if I lean back into a reclining position it does and I have to use the seat front adjustment to prevent it.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
It sounds like you might want one of those customized Office Master COP chairs with memory foam seat upgrade, not a hipster HM/Gesture/etc

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Zarin posted:

Gotcha!

Okay, you might like the Mirra 2 then (Also a Herman Miller chair; very similar to the Aeron). I believe the frame around the mesh is much less aggressive, and one of the options it can come with is a seat pan depth adjustment at the front of the seat that allows you to adjust it in such a way that it takes the pressure off your thighs.

Let me see if I can find that post from Napalm about it.

Edit: It was a longer conversation than I remembered!

The only thing I would say is, I love my Mirra and they have totally solved the frame digging into leg problem with it, but I do feel some pressure from the way the sides of the seat curve up by the arm rests. I don't mind it, but if you are dead set on a flat seat it might not be the best choice.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

jammyozzy posted:

The only thing I would say is, I love my Mirra and they have totally solved the frame digging into leg problem with it, but I do feel some pressure from the way the sides of the seat curve up by the arm rests. I don't mind it, but if you are dead set on a flat seat it might not be the best choice.

I'm not sure if you've had experience with an Aeron, but would you say the seat is as flat as an Aeron (minus the frame digging in ofc) or does it have more of a curve to it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Before investing big bucks into a whole new chair, wouldn't a small cushion for your current one help minimize any curvature and angling? If you've tried that and it didn't work then go ahead and keep shopping.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Pretty overwhelmed with options looking on my own, does anyway have a recommendation for a 5'10 300 pound dude that isn't leather and ideally not tooooooo much more than $300?
Currently sitting on a 70 dollar armless task chair from amazon so I'm not super fussy about how soft it is or whatever, worried more about my fat rear end not busting it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Apparently the office chair I have at work that's murdering my spine is one of the gold standard Tempur Pedic ones. Cool, bodes well for following other recommendations from people (on top of the last failed effort). God I wish anyone nearby stocked higher end stuff that I could test sit, I'd sink a whole lot to just get this over with.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Zarin posted:

I'm not sure if you've had experience with an Aeron, but would you say the seat is as flat as an Aeron (minus the frame digging in ofc) or does it have more of a curve to it?

It's been around a decade since I last sat in an Aeron so I can't really give any advice there, but I'd say it's more noticeably curved than any chair I remember which has run the gamut from £20 Staples pos to the £££ office chair work provide.

I am close to 200lbs and have wide hips, so I imagine that's part of it, but if a pancake flat seat is your goal there are better choices than the Mirra.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

jammyozzy posted:

It's been around a decade since I last sat in an Aeron so I can't really give any advice there, but I'd say it's more noticeably curved than any chair I remember which has run the gamut from £20 Staples pos to the £££ office chair work provide.

I am close to 200lbs and have wide hips, so I imagine that's part of it, but if a pancake flat seat is your goal there are better choices than the Mirra.

Good info, thanks for setting me straight on that!

I just mentioned the Mirra because while I haven't really had a chance to sit in one, the OP sounded interested in "The Aeron, without the drat frame" :v:

. . . now that I mention it, my Cosm has a pretty flat seat (at least when I'm not sitting in it), but that is definitely a chair you have to really commit to.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I ended up buying one of these, https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/330812/Serta-iComfort-i5000-Big-And-Tall/

It has a really cool feature, where the lumbar support deflates if you lean backwards, I've never had a chair with lumbar support before, I had been using an old low to the ground kind of lounge chair

Which is nice, because the lumbar support when I first started using it didn't make me uncomfortable, but the way it pushed on the small on my back was a bit of an adjustment. Still it's comfy and it works.

The chair I bought didn't have a warranty, and now the piston is cracking through the carpet and dragging, but I don't have any other chair to sit in. So I should have probably but a Steelseries or a Herman Miller, anyone got some good advice for a 24/7 fat guy chair, is Husky Office good?

Looking at one of these:

https://www.huskyoffice.com/samson-series-big-tall-500-lb-black-leather-executive-office-chair
https://www.huskyoffice.com/husky-officer-samson-series-big-tall-24-7-500-lb-black-fabric-executive-office-chair

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If you're going to spend that kind of money, you should be looking for warranties longer than 2 years.

Also, LeatherSoft is just bonded leather.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Would my back hate me for picking one of these up?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Boba Pearl posted:

The chair I bought didn't have a warranty, and now the piston is cracking through the carpet and dragging, but I don't have any other chair to sit in. So I should have probably but a Steelseries or a Herman Miller, anyone got some good advice for a 24/7 fat guy chair, is Husky Office good?

Looking at one of these:

https://www.huskyoffice.com/samson-series-big-tall-500-lb-black-leather-executive-office-chair
https://www.huskyoffice.com/husky-officer-samson-series-big-tall-24-7-500-lb-black-fabric-executive-office-chair

It says it has a manufacturer's 10-year limited warranty. If your piston broke through the base and is hitting the carpet, that should absolutely be covered.

Unless I'm missing something here, which is entirely possible :v:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Zarin posted:

It says it has a manufacturer's 10-year limited warranty. If your piston broke through the base and is hitting the carpet, that should absolutely be covered.

Unless I'm missing something here, which is entirely possible :v:

Oh gently caress, good call, I called the manufacturer, and they sent me to OfficeMax to pick up a new chair in a manner of hours.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Boba Pearl posted:

Oh gently caress, good call, I called the manufacturer, and they sent me to OfficeMax to pick up a new chair in a manner of hours.

:hellyeah:

Late edit: I've actually had quite a bit of luck calling manufacturers directly about issues with products, even if there wasn't any sort of explicit warranty. Apparently it's a lot cheaper for them to send you an extra part than it is to eat the return of a full product if you took it back to the store :shrug:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

So I was just buying Amazon basics mesh back crap like once a year before I got this.

It's basically the best chair outside of Hermann miller and steelcase.

No it doesn't have a great warranty. No it's not German. No it doesn't have "das Uber materials" in its construction.

It's not perfect.

What it does have is a seat cushion that won't utterly collapse in a month so you're sitting on particle board.

Almost endlessly adjustable(minus armrests. But I just got memory foam covers for them for 14$ on amazon...if there was one complaint I could give it was the armrests, now with the memory foam I can't even complain about those really.)

Cheap for what you get.

Quality that destroys anything sub $1200 new.

If you can get a used steelcase or hermann miller...go for it. If you're like me and in my area where all the used great office chairs have been already snapped up by remote workers and what's left is now selling for almost retail Hermann miller prices....this is the best option.

And it will last for years. I've seen reviews stating it's lasted some people 10 years.

No it's not going to last 35 years like the German brands. But you could buy three of them for the same price as said German brands and there's your 30 years.

No I do not work for them. No I do not get anything from my endorsements of them...this "marketing" I'm giving them is all my arse and back saying thank you.

Edit: spelling

TL;Dr: it's the best of the cheap seats. By a long shot.

Don't take my word for it. Go look at other reviews. Even some YouTubers have made reviews of it. This one doesn't show this chair but after research before buying mine this was rated higher than the recommendation s in the video https://youtu.be/9Yhc6mmdJC4

Here is one where it is listed.

Notice the steelcase leap is also listed.

https://youtu.be/7_wBQwWyBbM

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 18, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Might just pull the trigger on a Leap at this point. Current chair isn't getting any better and none of these "budget but just as good" have been working out. Crandall's solid?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have tips on what to look for when buying used Aeron and/or leap v2? I have some leads on people claiming new/barely used chairs and wanted to know how you can tell condition or date of manufacture. I assume to look for fraying of material and sitting and testing the gas cylinder to see if there are sudden drops in pressure during elevation.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

Might just pull the trigger on a Leap at this point. Current chair isn't getting any better and none of these "budget but just as good" have been working out. Crandall's solid?

I really just need to make a full tier list of chairs I've tried...I'll probably work on that today with full pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have tips on what to look for when buying used Aeron and/or leap v2? I have some leads on people claiming new/barely used chairs and wanted to know how you can tell condition or date of manufacture. I assume to look for fraying of material and sitting and testing the gas cylinder to see if there are sudden drops in pressure during elevation.

So there’s a label with a ship date on the bottom of the seat pan on my pair of the leap v2. May have to slide it to make it visible.