Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://youtu.be/nPA4tA9pRQM

https://youtu.be/nKMJImlVIkc

So about a month ago, I started up my first planted tank and I was wondering after a month in whatddya guys think? Any tips on what I should do with any plants. Like are any too big to be where they are where it'll mess with everything. Any specific tricks to get certain plants thriving. Stocking, too much? I don't know just wanted a few pointers or something. Also anyone know what kind of plabt that is with the five leaves and stripes in the shrimp tank.. My friend gave it to me he has no idea. I think it might be sometime type of cryptocoryne wendtii. Videos are a little long but I wanted to catch as much as I could.

Bonus: daughters peapuffer eating: https://youtu.be/JJIpelkyZ8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

pepperchomp posted:

I don't know just wanted a few pointers or something.

Beautiful! I think they both look great. I have the little buddha in my shrimp tank and they love crawling all over it. I noticed the biggest difference in my plants around 3 months in, but I am also cheap and use fertilized sand so YMMV.

It didn't seem to me that either were overstocked, but (for the most part) you can trim whatever gets too big or pull it out and re-plant it elsewhere.

I'm not sure which striped one you meant, but if it is in fact a crypt, they don't like to be moved so do that very sparingly.

I found this channel very helpful in learning about different plants, maybe it will help you too!

https://youtube.com/c/TropicaAquariumPlants

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

candystarlight posted:

Beautiful! I think they both look great. I have the little buddha in my shrimp tank and they love crawling all over it. I noticed the biggest difference in my plants around 3 months in, but I am also cheap and use fertilized sand so YMMV.

It didn't seem to me that either were overstocked, but (for the most part) you can trim whatever gets too big or pull it out and re-plant it elsewhere.

I'm not sure which striped one you meant, but if it is in fact a crypt, they don't like to be moved so do that very sparingly.

I found this channel very helpful in learning about different plants, maybe it will help you too!

https://youtube.com/c/TropicaAquariumPlants

Thanks
I've been fishkeeping for a little over a year but I never took that leap into planted tanks. Now that I have, im so hooked. I already know my next step is probably gonna be breeding shrimp. I've been breeding local pond guppies for some practice for when I get some expensive guppies. If anyone has tips on breeding shrimp or guppies, I will take all the information, tips, and tricks. I just been reading and watching aquarium co op on youtube and they are pretty helpful.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think if you are seriously interested in breeding anything you should have more tanks, tanks for growing out, tanks for culling, tanks for quarantine, tanks for keeping your females separate from males so that you can control who breeds with who etc. Hang on breeder boxes are useful too, the 2 litre/0.5g or bigger ones are enough space to grow out the smallest fry for a while or contain your females without stressing them out too much (as long as you give them cover). Breeding stops being about keeping pets and becomes more about maintaining healthy populations. Shrimp are easier to breed since they have a much smaller bioload, you don't need as much tank space or water volume for dilution (instead you want water volume for stability). Guppies are relentless though and will fill all available tank space so you need to be prepared to deal with that situation. If it all goes right you will end up with more guppies than you can safely keep. Sponge filters are the best for fry and for shrimp breeding so you want to get a reliable air pump and keep spares, luckily air pumps and sponge filters are fairly cheap and there are plenty of options out there.

Last time I looked there were a lot of decent websites with information about guppy breeding like selecting healthy females and looking for desirable traits. Colours and patterning seems obvious but body shape, finnage and tail strength are important too. The genetics of guppy colouration are pretty interesting and there's lots to read about if you are interested in that stuff too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The whole concept of culling really turns me off of breeding animals unfortunately. I understand I come off as a bleeding heart kinda goon and no doubt with plenty of hypocrisy (not a vegetarian) in this thread, but I think outside of having a farm or livestock business I would be thinking way too hard about what I was doing, IE am I creating an environment where new life occurs just to destroy it if the markings on the shrimp aren't good enough etc.

I'm 99% joking but it does remind me of some people in human history who also decided it would be cool to create the best possible versions of (our) species and to kill the rest off who weren't up to their aesthetic standards and it was generally regarded as a bad move. I guess if you had a separate tank where you had lower grade shrimp that you would otherwise cull and you let them chill and maybe sold them for cheap or something it would seem more harmless. I would have a very hard time bringing shrimp or anything over to another tank to die because their genetics were unsatisfactory.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 29, 2021

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

One big party tank where everyone with funky spines lives

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you in-vert u in-luck.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I totally mean culling just as "moving to a separate tank to live out happy lives and don't have them as part of your breeding program" not nuke in clove oil, feed to your oscar, or whatever. It's the responsible thing to do if you are producing animals to be sold to ensure you are promoting the overall health and fitness of the species in captivity. Puppy mills are bad, inbred guppies are bad too. You don't want malformed females who die or prolapse while giving birth, males with weak caudal peduncles that can't lift massive flowing tails, etc. We don't have the pressure of predators in our tanks to maintain fitness of our populations, we have to use good judgement instead, but that doesn't mean the solution has to be cruel. And anyone who breeds guppies inevitably ends up in the situation of "Oh god what do I do with all these guppies, I suppose I can try selling them???" so I think it's better to plan ahead and consider what you're doing.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Betta Lugosi IV is very happy and very discerning about where he wants things in the tank. He put his indian almond leaves exactly where he wants them. I moved them and he immediately dragged them back where he wants them.

Edit: they are tiny leaves, not the giant ones.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 29, 2021

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My oscars like the bare bottom tank look apparently, so they spend all week clearing out the center and spitting piles of gravel around the tank, and then weekend water change rolls around and I level it all back out again. I like to think it keeps them engaged, but probably it just pisses them off.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think it's a bit of both, but mostly pisses them off I think. I've never had an oscar but the ones at the pet shop I worked at years ago theirs were very particular about things .

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
The only way I’d get into breeding is if I had something to do with the culls— frankly livebearers and shrimp have no (or lessened) thiaminase problems and (since you’d be caring for the population as a whole) you’d know 100% what was going into them. If you’ve got a predator who, for whatever unfortunate reason, will only eat live it seems like a responsible way to make sure both that your predator has a source of nutritionally healthy whole prey items and that your colony of livebearers/shrimp doesn’t turn into a genetic black hole.

I’m one of the few folks who falls in the camp of thoroughly not enjoying live feeding but having the stomach to do it, though. If I took in a rescue animal who wouldn’t transition to f/t or pre killed prey items, that’s when I’d start up a guppy or neo colony and try to get pretty colors on healthy bodies.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I culled 5 fish from my last batch of 50 CPD fry, but only because they were suffering from genetic health conditions. All five had trouble swimming/floating and would spend most of their time on the bottom until feeding when they'd sort of spaz up to get what little food they could. I tried giving them a bit of time to see if they'd grow past it, but none of them improved. It didn't seem humane to keep them any longer since they were struggling to put on weight with all their difficulties eating.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My big severum loves clearing his corner down to the glass and just sitting in it all day while the 2 angelfish and black skirt tetras enjoy the remaining 95% of the tank.

The only time he's ever not spent the whole day hiding was when he was temporarily in there with an adult oscar. With the oscar in the tank he was fearless and spent the whole day cruising around. I wish I had the space to get a bigger tank and keep him with oscars again. :(:

E: Every attempt at providing him with dither fish to give him confidence has failed and is the reason I also have an unplanned 29g with a single festivum in it.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 30, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I moved the almond leaves back to where I want them this morning. Went to the dog park to pet some puppies and Betta Lugosi had moved them back where he wants them.

Edit to add a Picture: The water is actually clear my phone just sucks making it not look clear. - Also I need to clean the outside of the tank - I was very sloppy while pouring water into it. Almost fell on the kitchen floor a few times.

It's also hard to see the background I put on it. It's called "Haunted Forest" it's a halloween decoration for a wall but I turned it upside down so that the branches look like roots in a swamp.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 30, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I moved the almond leaves back to where I want them this morning. Went to the dog park to pet some puppies and Betta Lugosi had moved them back where he wants them.

Edit to add a Picture: The water is actually clear my phone just sucks making it not look clear. - Also I need to clean the outside of the tank - I was very sloppy while pouring water into it. Almost fell on the kitchen floor a few times.

It's also hard to see the background I put on it. It's called "Haunted Forest" it's a halloween decoration for a wall but I turned it upside down so that the branches look like roots in a swamp.

Looks good!

Just noticing the betta is as far as possible from your filter pump - they like super slow moving water and the pump might be on the higher side for it, you can pretty easily remedy that if it's a problem by slipping filter media over the inlet to restrict the flow. Even if that's the case though your betta is living better than 99% of them.

e: I have been reliably informed by OP that the flow is perfect

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 31, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Looks good!

Just noticing the betta is as far as possible from your filter pump - they like super slow moving water and the pump might be on the higher side for it, you can pretty easily remedy that if it's a problem by slipping filter media over the inlet to restrict the flow. Even if that's the case though your betta is living better than 99% of them.

e: I have been reliably informed by OP that the flow is perfect

Yes thank you! He will sometimes stay right infront of the filter out take and not be moved from the the flow. And thank you for telling me he is living the high life. I mainly just want to make sure he is pampered :-)

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
What plant is this?

https://imgur.com/gallery/U3d9eaO

I wanna say its a cryptocoryne wendtii of some sort

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 31, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I agree, could be a c. Wendtii bronze, there's a touch of brown to the leaves.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I put another almond leaf in the aquarium but since it floats it was fun to watch Betta Lugusi trying to drag it down to put it on the bottom of the tank where he wants it. :coolfish:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
A friend of mine offered me a 55g salt water tank or a 40 g bow front freshwater tank. - I said I have to ask my husband - but my answer will be no - no matter what my husband says.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

A friend of mine offered me a 55g salt water tank or a 40 g bow front freshwater tank. - I said I have to ask my husband - but my answer will be no - no matter what my husband says.

I mean, a tank is a tank, you can fill it with whatever kind of water you want

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I mean, if space concerns are an issue, then yeah, there's no getting around that. But if you're concerned about being overwhelmed and diving into the "deep end" of the hobby, then bear in mind that often larger tanks require way less maintenance than you'd think. Larger volume of water means that it's parameters are more stable, since there's just more raw mass to act as a buffer to anything that might gently caress it up.

And don't feel that just because you now have access to a bigger tank means you have to go all-in on stocking it with rare expensive giant easily-killed things. You can start small. Put your betta in a 55-gallon tank and blow its little mind.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, if space concerns are an issue, then yeah, there's no getting around that. But if you're concerned about being overwhelmed and diving into the "deep end" of the hobby, then bear in mind that often larger tanks require way less maintenance than you'd think. Larger volume of water means that it's parameters are more stable, since there's just more raw mass to act as a buffer to anything that might gently caress it up.

And don't feel that just because you now have access to a bigger tank means you have to go all-in on stocking it with rare expensive giant easily-killed things. You can start small. Put your betta in a 55-gallon tank and blow its little mind.

Space concerns are the main issue.

Anyway here is another picture of Betta Lugosi

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Space concerns are the main issue.

Anyway here is another picture of Betta Lugosi

makes sense

also I want your fish to die so that I can make cheap Bauhaus references

I’m sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

also I want your fish to die so that I can make cheap Bauhaus references

I’m sorry

Please dont ever again ask my fish to die.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Can anyone help diagnose a sick fish? Apologies for the algae on the glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb79ViovM8s

He's an apisto macmastri I got recently along with a female partner and the other fish you see here. Seemed fine on the first day but after that started just lying on the ground in a corner all day, no interest in food (including garlic guard, daphnia, brine shrimp, etc.) Been through general cure and EM already. All the other fish are doing great. He's unusually active in this video.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Asterite34 posted:

I wish I had heard this more often when I was filling a bunch of 10 gallons. The maintenance time doesn't scale linearly with tank size. If anything, doing maintenance on my 10 gallons is more time-consuming than my 40 because I end up using a smaller vac/siphon and refilling is a bit fiddlier. Sort of wish I had just jumped right into two large tanks rather than 4 medium to small tanks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Please dont ever again ask my fish to die.

I was being entirely facetious, I hope he lives for like 5 years, which is like 250 in male betta terms

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

I was being entirely facetious, I hope he lives for like 5 years, which is like 250 in male betta terms

You are still being a bell end. I can see your rap sheet.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Here, in the fish thread, we should strive to love one another.

This is a shrimp gif, he cant see me haha!

https://i.imgur.com/KkIPNsZ.mp4

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I learned from my old tank that dwarf shrimps will grab the top fin of a corydoras and go for a ride. They seemed to like it, so I had a cowboy shrimp.

Betta Lugosi is a very handsome lil' grumpfish. And he has some pretty nice digs! I ended up training mine a bit around feeding time. Now I super want a betta.

I also have learned to call my gobies the Gobinators. Big, medium and small. They're so cute with their goofy faces and hopping around. My German rams are awesome. I love that they're smart and playful.

And a very stealthy cherry skrimp!

Edit: I kinda wanna teach my fish to go through hoops or football/soccer. I think the Rams'd be up to it. The goblitorators could but they like being towards the back of the tank.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 2, 2021

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

Betta Lugosi is a very handsome lil' grumpfish. And he has some pretty nice digs! I ended up training mine a bit around feeding time. Now I super want a betta.

Yes he is very grumpy he will hold a bloodworm or a tropical crisp in his mouth and stare at me like I am going to try and take it away even though I just handed it to him lol.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Check it out,
we were, just a few days ago, discussing acclimation procedures. Shipped fish vs picked up locally, right?

Well, I ordered some fish to be shipped to me, and have a look at the instructions that were put in the box, on top of the insulation.

and here's a little video clip I shot this morning of the little fish

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Even if it’s not being shipped, the fish is gonna experience way more extreme temperature fluctuations just going from the store tank to a bag, into the ambient store air....>the air in the parking lot.....>the air temp in your car for however long you drive.....>into your house, and so on.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Even if it’s not being shipped, the fish is gonna experience way more extreme temperature fluctuations just going from the store tank to a bag, into the ambient store air....>the air in the parking lot.....>the air temp in your car for however long you drive.....>into your house, and so on.

:haibrow:

The mystery snail in there, and the first 4 lamb-chop rasboras came home with me from the local store. I brought a small cooler to the store with me, and drip acclimated them. There were only 4 of the little guys in the store, so I ordered 10 more, and 13 of the micros, so they could have at least a small school. I didn't feel right letting/making those 4 live without company.

ETA: My local store did not have any CPDs for sale, only in the display riparium.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Check it out,
we were, just a few days ago, discussing acclimation procedures. Shipped fish vs picked up locally, right?

Well, I ordered some fish to be shipped to me, and have a look at the instructions that were put in the box, on top of the insulation.

and here's a little video clip I shot this morning of the little fish

The text is too small for me to read but my eyes keep darting from green to yellow.

Anyway I told my friend that I can't take his fish just yet. I remembered the last things I had in the tank were gerbils and they would dig at the seems. Have to make sure it doesn't leak. But then he offered me a 30 gallon bow front and I said sure but only if my 29g leaks.

Hrm the filter holder for My Tetra Whisper EX30 doesnt seem to want to fit into it - It might be for my old EX40 gallon filter. Anyway the cartridge holder isn't really needed - it's for people who don't want to touch the filter which just confuses me - I have 3 cats one of him flings the litter as far as he can outside of the box and one of the other views that litter spot on the floor as a pooping spot. So at least once a day I have to pick poop off of the floor. I'm not worried about touching a fish filter.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Hi, I know this is a thread about tanks/aquariums but there doesn't seem to be a thread about ponds unless I missed it.

I have a small fish pond in the garden (was there when I bought the house and I decided to keep it) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to give tadpoles a better chance at survival. Every year frogspawn gets laid in the pond, and most years as far as I know my fish eat all the tadpoles the first chance they get! There's frogspawn in there now that afaik was laid a week or so ago and whenever I go out to throw some food in at the moment, my biggest fish is hovering near it looking at it with obvious interest.

Last year I tried scooping some of the frogspawn into a bucket. I filled the bucket with water from the pond and placed it on a shelf that runs around the edge of the pond, with the idea being that this would allow it to keep to the temperature of the pond water (I don't know how effective this was at keeping the temperature the same, since the bucket water was near the surface). I cycled water between the bucket and the pond water every so often by scooping it out and in.

The process of transferring frogspawn to the bucket probably destroyed some of it, but I got quite a few tadpoles swimming about in the bucket at the start of the summer. but the number dwindled over time. I have no idea whether that's because the tadpoles were leaving the bucket (the water level was at the lip of the bucket), or because they were eating each other. I have no idea how many of the tadpoles survived, if any.

Other years I have found tadpoles in the filter system (probably passed through the pump when they were quite small) and fished them out and returned them to the pond. But I suspect that just led to them being eaten by the fish.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hammerite posted:

Hi, I know this is a thread about tanks/aquariums but there doesn't seem to be a thread about ponds unless I missed it.

I have a small fish pond in the garden (was there when I bought the house and I decided to keep it) and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to give tadpoles a better chance at survival. Every year frogspawn gets laid in the pond, and most years as far as I know my fish eat all the tadpoles the first chance they get! There's frogspawn in there now that afaik was laid a week or so ago and whenever I go out to throw some food in at the moment, my biggest fish is hovering near it looking at it with obvious interest.

Last year I tried scooping some of the frogspawn into a bucket. I filled the bucket with water from the pond and placed it on a shelf that runs around the edge of the pond, with the idea being that this would allow it to keep to the temperature of the pond water (I don't know how effective this was at keeping the temperature the same, since the bucket water was near the surface). I cycled water between the bucket and the pond water every so often by scooping it out and in.

The process of transferring frogspawn to the bucket probably destroyed some of it, but I got quite a few tadpoles swimming about in the bucket at the start of the summer. but the number dwindled over time. I have no idea whether that's because the tadpoles were leaving the bucket (the water level was at the lip of the bucket), or because they were eating each other. I have no idea how many of the tadpoles survived, if any.

Other years I have found tadpoles in the filter system (probably passed through the pump when they were quite small) and fished them out and returned them to the pond. But I suspect that just led to them being eaten by the fish.

Sounds like the only thing you can really do is separate them from your fish, either in their own pond or a tank of some sort, at least until they reach a large enough size (and even then, if they’re easy prey and could make a good meal you’re not really gonna ever stop your fish from trying to take bites out of them).

A bucket isn’t going to be a sustainable enclosure for tadpoles over the long term, for a number of reasons but chiefly predation (they’re easy pickings for birds), oxygenation/dissolved gas balance, and nitrogen/ammonia cycle poo poo.

If you really want, you could probably set up a nursery aquarium in your garage fairly cheap and keep a bunch until they’re old enough to release, but that’s probably way more trouble than you’re looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

That's tricky. Tadpoles have a pretty high mortality rate to begin with, so you're fighting a losing battle, but also yeah, it's a lovely loss for a frog who doesn't understand the risks of a manmade fish pond.

I don't know if this is workable for your pond, given shape and space requirements for the fish, but I wonder if you could set up a sort of mesh fence around the frogspawn.