Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Holy poo poo I wonder if it is sohla or history that keeps getting her ancient weapons to cut things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

more falafel please posted:

They do this with French too, although that's at least partially because they hate the French so much. A "fillit" of chicken.

Yeah but then there's also CWAAAHSOOOHHNNN

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Watching Gordon make a salad on his cooking show while on vacation in London threw me for a loop because I had no idea wtf Rocket was

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Watching Gordon make a salad on his cooking show while on vacation in London threw me for a loop because I had no idea wtf Rocket was
Pokémon mob salad.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Democratic Pirate posted:

My first cookbooks were all Jamie Oliver ones (and non-localized ones since my sister brought them over from Ireland), so I had a ton of those little adapting UK recipes things like figuring out that coriander can mean the leaves too and what "gas 2" was supposed to mean.

I just looked at them again recently and I didn't realize until then that you can totally date late 90's food and how different presentation is from what's popular now.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 26, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I think it sounds weird to pronounce a word in the "real" pronunciation if there's already a commonly accepted pronunciation of that word in the language you're speaking.

Like people rag on English-speaking people for not pronouncing Spanish or Japanese or French words right but do you think every native Spanish or Japanese or French speaker is pronouncing every word from not their native language correctly???

It's one thing if someone's being an rear end in a top hat and deliberately pronouncing a word stupidly cuz it's foreign, but like getting mad at how English speakers say croissant or habanero or basically any imported food word from any East Asian language is silly.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The thing about habanero is that a lot of people want to sound like they Definitely Know Spanish Pronunciation and add an ń where there ain't

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I learned it's called hyperforeignism and it's annoying, but I can't think of another common example besides habanero.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This whole conversation started from people saying "way goo" for wagyu and that is most certainly not the commonly accepted pronunciation in any language afaik

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I learned it's called hyperforeignism and it's annoying, but I can't think of another common example besides habanero.

I was gonna bring up hyperforeignism earlier! I work at a place that serves empanadas and I absolutely hear “empańada” a couple times a week.

To bring it back to the waygoo thing where we started, I feel that the most respectful and reasonable thing to do is learn how the word is pronounced and make an effort toward pronouncing it correctly. You definitely don’t need to sound like a native speaker. Just take care to A. express yourself efficiently and accurately, and B. be respectful to that culture by showing an effort.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

prayer group posted:

I was gonna bring up hyperforeignism earlier! I work at a place that serves empanadas and I absolutely hear “empańada” a couple times a week.

To bring it back to the waygoo thing where we started, I feel that the most respectful and reasonable thing to do is learn how the word is pronounced and make an effort toward pronouncing it correctly. You definitely don’t need to sound like a native speaker. Just take care to A. express yourself efficiently and accurately, and B. be respectful to that culture by showing an effort.

I will never pronounce croissant the "right" way and you can't make me. my mémčre was a native french speaker and she never succeeded either.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What did I just say? Pronouncing "croissant" like 90% of North America does is perfectly fine! The French "r" is really hard for native English speakers and absolutely no one whose opinion you should care about would give you a hard time for that. Saying it like everyone else says it is fine because it communicates the same meaning and is better than saying croy-sant or whatever other awful mangling you might imagine.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

still lollin at empańada

it's literally just "in bread" like enchilada is "in chile (sauce)" or enmolada is "in mole"

molé is probable a thing too huh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
With the wagyu thing I'd be happy if ppl just pronounced it the way it's spelled. Who pronounces gyu as goo?

To my ear the correct American pronunciation would be homophonic with wag you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

prayer group posted:

What did I just say? Pronouncing "croissant" like 90% of North America does is perfectly fine! The French "r" is really hard for native English speakers and absolutely no one whose opinion you should care about would give you a hard time for that. Saying it like everyone else says it is fine because it communicates the same meaning and is better than saying croy-sant or whatever other awful mangling you might imagine.

It’s not about mangling the word.

It’s about looking like a douche saying it correctly.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Solution: stop caring what strangers think about you.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

But a guy on the internet is going to call me uncultured if I mispronounce a piece of meat that's too expensive for me because I spend my entire life struggling to work myself out of poverty and not learning how poo poo I don't care about is pronounced.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't watched the new It's Alive where Brad volunteers at a food bank but I assume he kills several impoverished families with botulism.

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C
When people miss-pronounce hyperforeignism, oy vey! :eng99:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
The parade of commenters saying "Brad's the only good thing left about BA!!" sure left a bad taste

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s Alive with Botulism Brad

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's being the contraction of it was

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I love George Motz, not just his delivery but also how much he loves his subject matter. I have found precious little of him out there beyond the Burger Show stuff and his series Burger Land.

Conversely, I cannot stand Matty Matheson, he's always loving shouting. To me he epitomises a youtube personality, the kind that will prevent me watching a video. Maybe I'm old. I'd have watched the hell out of a youtube channel of Dick Proenneke cooking up moose meat.

How did the court of public opinion judge Alex Delany? I liked his content, I knew he made a confederate flag cake but being British I can't put my finger on the significance of that.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I love George Motz, not just his delivery but also how much he loves his subject matter. I have found precious little of him out there beyond the Burger Show stuff and his series Burger Land.

Conversely, I cannot stand Matty Matheson, he's always loving shouting. To me he epitomises a youtube personality, the kind that will prevent me watching a video. Maybe I'm old. I'd have watched the hell out of a youtube channel of Dick Proenneke cooking up moose meat.

How did the court of public opinion judge Alex Delany? I liked his content, I knew he made a confederate flag cake but being British I can't put my finger on the significance of that.

lol

*edit*
lol in a good way, this was a great post

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I love George Motz, he helped me hack my PS3.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nailed It! is back on Netflix for season 5, and it's wild y'all. TEAMS! It's a really good shakeup of the formula, and the eps I've watched so far have been really funny.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nailed season 5 is fun

I love Matty, but I don't care about his food, he's just entertaining to have on in the background sometimes

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can say from experience that Matty is like that all the time, so it's not a personality he puts on for cameras. I don't mind it but I imagine it's a bit much of you're around him a lot though.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
So funny, my partner loves matty because she likes big boys with tattoos. I tried to show her a motts video and she hated his constant nervous laughter, and how he almost gave himself 3rd degree burns and burned down his house.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I appreciate Motz’s appreciation for burgers, but it’s rare that I make it through his videos in one sitting. The guy has a whole lot of energy that wears me out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=havcACdx0Y0

Cake on a spit

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That is rad as hell. Imagine it tastes overcooked, but love the look of it and want to eat one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Mafia fugitive caught after posting cooking show on YouTube

quote:

A fugitive Italian gangster's urge to show off his cooking skills has landed him in jail after seven years on the run.

Italian police tracked down Marc Feren Claude Biart, 53, through the culinary videos he had uploaded to YouTube.

While he carefully hid his face, he failed to disguise his body tattoos.

The alleged member of the 'Ndrangheta crime gang was arrested in the Dominican Republic last Wednesday and has now been extradited back to Italy.

Really want to see those videos.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wonder which Pasta Granny he was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was one of the guys on Italia Squistia, bullying Americans for their awful Italian food

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody have recommendations for short, to-the-point recipe/technique YT channels? Chef John is the gold standard, but I'm liking Ethan Chlebowski a lot lately as far as stuff I actually want to try for a weeknight meal. Weissman's old videos are okay but he spends way too much time loving around with all of his catchphrases these days and Ragusea is unbearable.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Internet Shaquille's videos all are mostly under 5 minutes and while not often direct 1:1 recipe videos - they open up options for you to work on certain techniques/foods.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody have recommendations for short, to-the-point recipe/technique YT channels? Chef John is the gold standard, but I'm liking Ethan Chlebowski a lot lately as far as stuff I actually want to try for a weeknight meal. Weissman's old videos are okay but he spends way too much time loving around with all of his catchphrases these days and Ragusea is unbearable.

I assume you watched all of Pepin already?

:v:

Essential Pepin videos get into fancier stuff but nothing crazy IIRC

Fast Food My Way is more streamlined

Cooking at Home is him goofing around in quarantine

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

New season of Top Chef is airing its first episode now. They filmed over the summer in Portland, where of course nothing interesting was happening during this past summer, so I’m sure it will be business as usual.

Seriously though: it’s looking to be unique. There’s no shopping in-store, they make lists and pick up their groceries at Whole Foods. There’s no big fancy celebrities judging (with one very obvious and IMO obnoxious exception), they have past contestants as a part of a reoccurring judging panel that will eat every meal and switch off as the “guest” judge. There’s no public events, a lot less cooking for large groups (although they’re doing a requisite “cook for doctors working during the pandemic”) event, just a whole lot of Tom, Gail, Padma and friends. Also wildfires forcing changes in the schedule because they couldn’t be outside. This year is also emblematic of a bigger change that Top Chef has been making over the last few years. I think since Eric Adjepong a few seasons back they’ve made a concerted effort to include chefs who cook African food, and this year they’ve got two chefs who made African cuisine week 1, and the season preview showed off visiting a West African restaurant in Portland. This season has chefs from a wide range of backgrounds, everything from Africa to Japan, Thailand to Haiti, Mexico to India. It’s nice that they’re showing off a wider range of cuisines.

Episode 1 spoiler: I’ve never been so disappointed by an episode 1 elimination, Roscoe seemed awesome and makes some of the best BBQ in the country. I hope he comes back up through LCK.

Edit: quite the lineup of past contestants:
https://twitter.com/bravotopchef/status/1377779089482911746?s=21

Edit2: finally after over a decade top chef has made up for employing Toby Young for 2 years

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

When a lust for Taco Bell drives an expat in China to make a bastardized crunchwrap supreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmKdFSFqzM