Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The thing is, though, there is a cult of personality type thing that develops around popular podcast personalities like Robert. Where an overly involved Opening Arguments fan may just call P. Andrew Torres and try to sign up for legal services he does not in fact need (and then write a cringey trip report about it on the internet), it's entirely possible that a Robert fan might be inspired to do something dumb at a protest. I think it's good for him to be mindful of that possibility.

I think being mindful of potential impact is very different than publicly stating to a national/international audience that your presence had "significant impact" on how events played out, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
I think overestimating your own influence out of an abundance of caution (which I thought was his explicit intention here and during the episode) is actually pretty healthy!

What are the consequences of it being a "humble brag?"

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The thing is, though, there is a cult of personality type thing that develops around popular podcast personalities like Robert. Where an overly involved Opening Arguments fan may just call P. Andrew Torres and try to sign up for legal services he does not in fact need (and then write a cringey trip report about it on the internet), it's entirely possible that a Robert fan might be inspired to do something dumb at a protest. I think it's good for him to be mindful of that possibility.

It's of particular risk when you're as internet poisoned as Robert is. His attitudes remind me a lot of me when I'm shitposting, except he'll say these things while he's literally standing in teargas . Recognising your fanbase (who have definitely been inspired to buy machetes) might take your poo poo seriously when you're doing dark jokes as a coping mechanism is very healthy and grown up.

I don't exclude myself from this -- my fiance bought me a set of boltcutters for my birthday as a joke.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I feel like the first post was framed in a way that made sense but all subsequent posts have really just fleshed this out as “Robert’s gittin’ A LITTLE TOO big for his britches if ya ask me!”

Like all you’re insinuating is that Rob... memed the fence for clout? and the clout he farmed could potentially go to his head and inflate his sense of self to Ngo/Shapiro levels of personality cult and he may one day inspire others to do harm in similar ways and I just don’t think any of that tracks at all. If I’m misreading it than whatever but you’re extremely concerned about a very popular podcaster thinking he started a meme.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh god can we talk about Stalin again please god

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

teen witch posted:

Parasocial relationships are a legitimate concern in tyool 2k21 but I really don’t see that happening here*. Maybe I’m an old crone but like, this just looks like run of the mill “inside joke! I am a fan!” nonsense.

A miserly old crone like Mildred and/or Patty Hill?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Stuff like this is why I never say anything remotely political or controversial on the Internet under my real name and if I ever become famous enough to be expected to keep a regular social media presence, I will either have it all done via a PR firm or fake my own death.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

teen witch posted:

Oh god can we talk about Stalin again please god

It always seemed hosed up and unfair to me that hitler got a mustache named after him but stalin did not.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

teen witch posted:

Dollars to donuts, an episode on NFTs and crypto as a whole? Who would be the bastard?

What little I understand of NFTs is extremely frustrating. I think crypto is...slightly less frustrating? Mainly because I think some of the early minds behind cryptocurrency had good intentions. I don't understand any of it very well, and particularly when it comes to NFTs I'm not sure where to begin with my research.

Recent events on Twitter have convinced me it's finally time to get the Kissinger episodes out. I've been daunted by the task for a while. Just covering the genocide in Bangladesh adequately could take two episodes.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

GunFondler42069 posted:

Recent events on Twitter have convinced me it's finally time to get the Kissinger episodes out. I've been daunted by the task for a while. Just covering the genocide in Bangladesh adequately could take two episodes.

this and having PFT has made me watch my feed closer than ever

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Kissinger is a big subject. So much American exceptionalism/geopolitics.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GunFondler42069 posted:

What little I understand of NFTs is extremely frustrating. I think crypto is...slightly less frustrating? Mainly because I think some of the early minds behind cryptocurrency had good intentions. I don't understand any of it very well, and particularly when it comes to NFTs I'm not sure where to begin with my research.

Attack if the 50 foot blockchain or talking to David Gerard might get you started.

Like I'd like there to be a Ross Ulbricht story episode one day because quite frankly his entire story is just something that Sophie would just keep laughing at, but hes not really any sort of major cultural or geopolitical player.

Also Ethereum is kind of built on a gigantic stack of IOUs that would make Enron blush.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That book is not very good

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is no bastards for NFTs.

Behind the lovely concepts is a bad name for podcast!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Behind THE Bastard: a ten part Behind the Bastards mini-series on Henry Kissinger

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The fact that Henry Kissinger is still alive today is proof that necromancy exists. He drained stray years out of bombed Cambodians and now he'll outlive Keith Richards.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I always say Kissinger's continued living is proof the good die young.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

It always seemed hosed up and unfair to me that hitler got a mustache named after him but stalin did not.

It’s because the toothbrush stache is bad and deserves to be remembered as the official facial hair of the nazi regime while Stalin’s mustache is quite possibly his most redeeming feature (note: still definitely not enough to overcome all the death he caused)

Charlie Chaplin was a mostly good man with a few flaws, one of which was bad taste in mustaches

Edit: I’m just now listening to Tuesday’s episode and I think “anti-Semitic hate group burning the novelization of Schindler’s List” is one of the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 18, 2021

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GunFondler42069 posted:

I think you may have some difficulty finding a single person with an entertaining story to focus on for it. McAfee would be the closest and he was already covered.

It's bad news though. If bitcoin got to a million dollars like McAfee wanted it would consume more energy than the US. NFTs are just a grift to tempt artists who can't afford it into cryptocurrency. Think wall street bets, but with more energy wasted.

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2021/03/11/nfts-crypto-grifters-try-to-scam-artists-again/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just finished the March 10 episode of WYE and, having listened to these 3 for years at this point, I don’t think I’ve ever heard the 3 of them so completely disarmed by the information a guest was prepared with. Chris Wong pops up with “yeah anti-Asian violence is not only on the rise, it’s actually been going on the entire time, with hugely historic implications. Cops are murdering and raping us in similar numbers to black people, oh and at one point legally all Asian women were considered prostitutes” and Katie and Robert are both just like “uh... uh yeah well... yeah that’s just abominable” because there really isn’t anything else to say.

Shout out Cody who never seems as surprised that everything is worse than you thought. Just a constant dull roar of agony and he’s just nodding along the whole time like “yeah, of course they raped a woman and then harassed her until she jumped out a window and died, why not?”

Robert, is that how Cody is in real life? Just a Nostradamus of misery occasionally plucking at his mandolin? I love him so and wish he’d release more music.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Cody “Nostradamus of Misery” Johnston

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

By the way, Rich, if you are at all interested, Discendo Vox has made a number of effort posts on one of the major driving forces behind segregation lobbying in U.S. science - you can find them in the science thread in the Minority Rapport sub-forum. It seems right up your alley.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The song is "Long Long Time" by Guy Forsyth, and the line is "We Americans are a freedom-loving people and nothing says 'freedom' like getting away with it"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Great episode, today. I love an audacious grifter biography.

Also, how do we hook Robert up with Henry Zebrowski of LPOtL so they start a LRH appreciation podcast?

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Froghammer posted:

The song is "Long Long Time" by Guy Forsyth, and the line is "We Americans are a freedom-loving people and nothing says 'freedom' like getting away with it"

yep

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's a great song, for those interested. Most of that album holds up surprisingly well considering it's mostly one dude screaming at George W. Bush via blues-rock

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Anyone who wants to see a con-man movie that isn’t Catch Me If You Can (which is a great movie but always gets recommended for movies about con-men) should check out I Love You Phillip Morris, one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies. It’s based on a true story about a man who discovers that he loves cons, goes to jail, discovers that he loves a fellow prisoner and then just keeps pulling cons and prison escapes for love. They buried it because it was too gay for 2010 despite starring both Carrey and Ewan McGregor, but it’s a fun black comedy with some great performances.

https://youtu.be/wzWB9KHgaiE

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I forgot to say last week but Robert, you butchered the pronunciation of Canberra. However I also know your disdain for Australian names so I don't know if it was accidental or intentional.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A journalist who doesn’t look up how things are pronounced before broadcasting them... as a bit!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The real fault is with the australians for spelling it wrong.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

xtal posted:

The real fault is with the australians for spelling it wrong.

Dave Anthony account spotted.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Testekill posted:

I forgot to say last week but Robert, you butchered the pronunciation of Canberra. However I also know your disdain for Australian names so I don't know if it was accidental or intentional.

australia lost a war against emus they don't get to tell me how to pronounce things

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

GunFondler42069 posted:

australia lost a war against emus they don't get to tell me how to pronounce things

fair, but I think the US might have a higher figure in the L column overall.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

this is why i don't tell people who aren't british how to pronounce things

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

As an Australian, I love Americans mispronouncing Australian placenames, particularly the stress in Canberra, it's so goofy. The Dollop live shows wouldn't be half as funny without Anthony's frustrated rage at the audience for stepping on his mistakes.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Having foreigners mispronounce everything is charming! There's some fun place names near me that are basically impossible to pronounce without prior knowledge because they used a letter that no longer exists in the English language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ewe2 posted:

As an Australian, I love Americans mispronouncing Australian placenames, particularly the stress in Canberra, it's so goofy. The Dollop live shows wouldn't be half as funny without Anthony's frustrated rage at the audience for stepping on his mistakes.

i remember when he flubbed a place close to me in some badly mangled way but the way its spelled, it can't really blame him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i remember when he flubbed a place close to me in some badly mangled way but the way its spelled, it can't really blame him.

"Natchitoches" Louisiana in (I think) the Bill Cooper episode stuck out to me, because the first time I drove through there I likewise assumed it was pronounced like it was spelled, but it's not because Louisiana.

Nack-uh-dish, for the record.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I had to explain Adventists to my mom the other day because we got these in the mail:

We live in Michigan :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Natchitoches" Louisiana in (I think) the Bill Cooper episode stuck out to me, because the first time I drove through there I likewise assumed it was pronounced like it was spelled, but it's not because Louisiana.

Nack-uh-dish, for the record.

i mean i didnt even know how to pronounce Guelph until college and we drove through a town/aread named that consantly when i was young. its not "gulf' its "gwelf"