Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M8Ks0xiaxM

Goddamn, I want more stuff narrated by Tolkien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

drat!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love listening to Tolkien read any of his work, but this one is probably my favorite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mprH_47QvSM

That said, drat he plows through some of those sentences at speed, I have to imagine being in one of his lectures required 100% constant attention.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, it's super weird trying to figure out whether there's a difference between how the words sound in my head and how they sound in his, when even he pronounces things in ways that sound "wrong" according to his own rules. Like "Ro'an", I wouldn't have thought he'd elide H's like that, especially knowing that he derives it from the much more pronounced sound in roch.

And the lyrical way Theoden's exhortation flows, I was never sure if that was supposed to have a certain rhythmic cadence like a kind of ritualized military call-to-arms, or be delivered really slow and deliberately, or if he was channeling the way military calls sounded in his WWI experience or if he was consulting medievalists or whatever, but then he just busts out like RIDERIDERIDETOGONDOR" and uh.... ok then

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 24, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, it's super weird trying to figure out whether there's a difference between how the words sound in my head and how they sound in his, when even he pronounces things in ways that sound "wrong" according to his own rules. Like "Ro'an", I wouldn't have thought he'd elide H's like that, especially knowing that he derives it from the much more pronounced sound in roch.

And the lyrical way Theoden's exhortation flows, I was never sure if that was supposed to have a certain rhythmic cadence like a kind of ritualized military call-to-arms, or be delivered really slow and deliberately, or if he was channeling the way military calls sounded in his WWI experience or if he was consulting medievalists or whatever, but then he just busts out like RIDERIDERIDETOGONDOR" and uh.... ok then

Pretty sure he was going for a skald cadence there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sweet, I figured it had to be something like that.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/TheMERL/status/1375059540308328451?s=20

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Happy destruction of the ring day :toot:.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Happy destruction of the ring day :toot:.

The ring was destroyed on March 25th in Shire-reckoning. This isn't the same as our March 25th. Their dates are about 9 or 10 days ahead.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Wings posted:

Pratchett's elves were based off the Fae and whatnot, they had very little if anything to do with Tolkien's elves. Also I'd argue that terrifying eldritch beings from another realm are far from emotionless Vulcan types.

I think there's a lot more of the medieval fairy in Tolkien's work than you give credit for. He was certainly well aware of those stories--hell, he did a translation of Sir Orfeo! I look at Pratchett's elves and Tolkien's elves as different reads on the same set of stories. English folklore and songs seemed to vary on exactly how dangerous the fairies are: they might be purely malicious (the queen in Tam Lin), they might be ok if dealt with properly (the queen in Thomas the Rhymer), and you were almost certainly going to be changed/spirited off if you came into contact with them (Thomas the Rhymer, Sir Orfeo, etc.).

Pratchett writes his elves based on a pessimistic read of folklore: elves are incredibly bad and dangerous, and we just forgot quite how bad they could be over time. Tolkien writes based on an optimistic reading: elves aren't evil, but they're different, and if you meet them, your life will be different; if our folklore portrays fairies as scary, it's because we don't understand them.

Smith of Wootton Major is also interesting, because it seems to represent a half-way point between Middle Earth elves and the more traditional fairy folklore. Faery is an extremely dangerous place: "for the star shone bright on his brow, and he was as safe as a mortal can be in that perilous country". The elves themselves aren't malicious, but consider how he falls in terror when the elven mariners start singing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think there's a lot more of the medieval fairy in Tolkien's work than you give credit for. He was certainly well aware of those stories--hell, he did a translation of Sir Orfeo! I look at Pratchett's elves and Tolkien's elves as different reads on the same set of stories. English folklore and songs seemed to vary on exactly how dangerous the fairies are: they might be purely malicious (the queen in Tam Lin), they might be ok if dealt with properly (the queen in Thomas the Rhymer), and you were almost certainly going to be changed/spirited off if you came into contact with them (Thomas the Rhymer, Sir Orfeo, etc.).

Pratchett writes his elves based on a pessimistic read of folklore: elves are incredibly bad and dangerous, and we just forgot quite how bad they could be over time. Tolkien writes based on an optimistic reading: elves aren't evil, but they're different, and if you meet them, your life will be different; if our folklore portrays fairies as scary, it's because we don't understand them.

Smith of Wootton Major is also interesting, because it seems to represent a half-way point between Middle Earth elves and the more traditional fairy folklore. Faery is an extremely dangerous place: "for the star shone bright on his brow, and he was as safe as a mortal can be in that perilous country". The elves themselves aren't malicious, but consider how he falls in terror when the elven mariners start singing.

I think there's a solid argument that Smith of Wootton Major is the best writing Tolkien ever did, precisely because it strikes that balance in a way the rest of his work doesn't. He gets close in a few places in the Silmarillion but nothing else he did really captures that wild mystic terror you find at the root of old tales like Sir Gawain and the Green Knight or, hell, Beowulf. Perhaps because everything else he wrote has happy endings but Smith had the courage to be bittersweet instead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/theoneringnet/status/1377581507611623428?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s cool . I hope it comes about

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

euphronius posted:

That’s cool . I hope it comes about

Check the date.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

nice

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cryte Lynn posted:

Check the date.

today is the worst loving day on the internet and i hate it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Another site said the new Amazon series had cast young Gollum. That was a precision level troll.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Or maybe it was that site actually, IDK.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I just started reading The Fellowship of the Ring. If its a spoiler and explained later dont anwser, but what was the point of Sauron making the rings of power? Was the plan to have the tings corrupt the rulers of the human, dwarfs and elves and have them serve him?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The ring of power just on its own makes Sauron more powerful When he wields it. It also is part of the curse on the other rings such that they can’t be used when he has the one since he controls them all through the one

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BigRed0427 posted:

So I just started reading The Fellowship of the Ring. If its a spoiler and explained later dont anwser, but what was the point of Sauron making the rings of power? Was the plan to have the tings corrupt the rulers of the human, dwarfs and elves and have them serve him?

Yes. Not a spoiler in any way, it's stated outright in the One Ring To Rule Them All verse right at the beginning.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BigRed0427 posted:

The Ring seems to concentrate Sauron's power and will in such a way that it is extremely effective. A good analogy might be the focusing lens of a laser or something. Simply having the Ring makes him more powerful, as euphronius said, but it also makes his will harder to resist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The rings of power created under Sauron's guidance are just magic rings that let people do cool stuff. Powerful people will want to have them. But he introduced a backdoor in their programming that he could exploit through his One Ring. So they make for fabulous gifts and a cunning trap. The aim is more to dominate than "corrupt".

The Elves made three rings that he didn't know about, so he can't hack in as easily as he could with the others, but since he wrote the code they work on they're still vulnerable.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Oh my god Sauron is Dennis Nedry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah ah ah, you didn't say the Black Speech Words! Ah ah ah!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, you basically got it. It's a little more complicated as others have explained above but that's the gist of it. The rings were powerful gifts but also bait in a hook.

It's a little easier to understand if you've read The Hobbit first and understand how cool Bilbo's ring was for him in it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BigRed0427 posted:

Gandalf will talk about this in his big explanation of the back story in chapter 2 I think. Basically you are correct, but they didn’t work on the dwarves because dwarves were too hardcore, and they didn’t work on the elves because the elves took the rings off and then attacked and killed Sauron so they could put them back on in peace.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Most of the rings were bait

There were others that weren’t but still connected

Worrying about spoilers in 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

today is the worst loving day on the internet and i hate it

I'm relieved, Neil "Mr anti-climax" Gaiman would be a bad fit for this type of fantasy. Maybe if it was a comic book and P Craig Russell is drawing it or a short story about a day in the life of a Warg, maaaybe

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Drakyn posted:

Oh my god Sauron is Dennis Nedry.

Wayne knight does do a great diabolical laugh!

Whose got the Silmarillion's film rights? I gotta tweet this casting at them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Rings are like powerful edibles, and Sauron is like a giant cosmic tasty chimichanga covered in melted cheese that nobody gets to eat.

The point is to increase his power by giving people either a desire that only he can fulfill or a fear that only he can palliate. Every single being that falls under Sauron's sway falls into either of those two categories.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

euphronius posted:

Most of the rings were bait

There were others that weren’t but still connected

Worrying about spoilers in 2021

when did the spoiler culture start?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ChubbyChecker posted:

when did the spoiler culture start?

Probably not long after the first spoiler-able media was produced, though from memory I think Psycho was the first movie to have concerted efforts convincing people not to reveal the twist. I always remember from when I worked in a video store (RIP) the box for The Crying Game had something about "Don't Reveal The Secret!!" on it, and I think Empire Strikes Back had similar stuff.

Though I feel like a lot of the modern ~~spoiler culture~~ stuff evolved alongside social media, and probably the latter Harry Potter books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

webmeister posted:

Probably not long after the first spoiler-able media was produced, though from memory I think Psycho was the first movie to have concerted efforts convincing people not to reveal the twist. I always remember from when I worked in a video store (RIP) the box for The Crying Game had something about "Don't Reveal The Secret!!" on it, and I think Empire Strikes Back had similar stuff.

Though I feel like a lot of the modern ~~spoiler culture~~ stuff evolved alongside social media, and probably the latter Harry Potter books.

ah, of course

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Calling it Psycho is a spoiler right there!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

is it "spoiler culture" not to ruin a story for someone? Like even back before it was really a thing, if you were talking about a movie and someone said "oh i want to see that soon!" Just giving away the ending was a dick move.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

In England, The Mousetrap has been running continuously since 1952 (Covid restrictions notwithstanding) and it quickly became tradition to ask the audience from the stage not to give away the twist ending.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant spoiling LOtR in particular in 2021

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

I meant spoiling LOtR in particular in 2021

a person came in who had not read the book and asked us not to ruin something for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

quote:

4) Spoiler Policy: For most threads, please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the book is, unless it's common knowledge (Romeo and Juliet kill themselves?!?) or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have read that specific author or book. If you *are* in a discussion thread for a specific author, book, or series, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year. Beyond the rule, as a matter of general politeness, if someone asks you to use spoiler tags, please do so.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875825