Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just can't be mad at him anymore. If I started painting my buddy's living room and then all of a sudden the Louvre comes rolling up asking me to start a bunch of paintings and they'll find someone else to finish them and here's a dumptruck full of money for it, I wouldn't finish painting my buddy's living room either.

Honestly, I don't even care anymore. I read all the books by that point when A Feast for Crows came out and I was upset along with everyone else when A Dance with Dragons took six years to come out. It wasn't amazing, and for a while I was upset that the next book was taking forever to come out.

I guess since then I've moved on, partially helped by discovering better books series, and the TV show kind of ruining the whole thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Zane posted:

couldn't really disagree more. tywin isn't changed. and everything the show did with cersei is bad.

I pretty much agree that everything the show did with Cersei was bad. I was talking about how cartoonishly evil and over-the-top she is in her AFFC chapters in the books, as I'd just re-read those chapters those week and enjoyed them quite a lot. But show-Cersei was really boring and awful and poorly written and portrayed from season 4 at least onwards, maybe earlier than that. She was a joke of a cliche by the end, not even a character.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
A big issue with the show in the later seasons is killing off characters and not replacing them. Cersei suffers from that a lot and has no one to interact with in Kings Landing. It's a huge waste of Lena Headey.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 29, 2021

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The writers were just trying to 'eliminate loose threads', I'm sure they had a board of stick it notes with names of characters which they wanted to wipe out and they congratulated themselves for solving the King's Landing gordian knot by blowing up the sept at the end of season 6, so many plots done, so much closure.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The writers were just trying to 'eliminate loose threads', I'm sure they had a board of stick it notes with names of characters which they wanted to wipe out and they congratulated themselves for solving the King's Landing gordian knot by blowing up the sept at the end of season 6, so many plots done, so much closure.

To be fair, that was a pretty clever solution to how to solve that plotline and in the process remove all opposition to Cersei's power and make her responsible for Tommen's death and thus cross even the one line she set for herself, setting her up to be a perfect final antagonist.

The problem was the show decided to dust off its hands and say THAT'S THE END OF THAT CHAPTER, as if there would be no consequences for blowing up the leaders of the church and one of the oldest and most religiously significant buildings on the continent, the beloved Queen and her entire powerful family, causing the King's suicide, and crowning herself in the wake of that when everyone already hates her. As Lindsey Ellis said in her breakdown of the last season, there should have been enormous consequences for all of that and Cersei should have had to become an utter tyrant slaughtering Lords and Common Folk alike on the scale of the Mad King to maintain her rule after that, but they couldn't do that because then it muddies the water on what they wanted to do with Dany. Cersei even after everything she did had to remain relatively sympathetic by comparison to Dany once the city was blown up, and that meant that she had to be relegated to mostly sitting on her balcony drinking wine and doing self-interested things that didn't really hurt anyone but herself in the grand scheme, and peaceful rule without death and fear would just have to happen in the wake of her crimes. Otherwise Dany becoming City Burning Superhitler would have made even less sense than it did.

You can have predetermined endpoints for your story and characters, that's fine, but when your show's development makes those endpoints make no sense and then you decide that you're bored with your own material so you're creating an artificial deadline to get to those endpoints even though it make it impossible within the confines of logic, this is the kind of stuff that happens

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
in Game of Thrones if you kill the leaders of an army the army just goes "oh well" and marches back home to lose an hourlong siege months later

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

in Game of Thrones if you kill the leaders of an army the army just goes "oh well" and marches back home to lose an hourlong siege months later

In Game of Thrones you don't need an army, you only need twenty good men

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

AJA posted:

In Game of Thrones you don't need an army, you only need twenty good men

Wrong, you need the bad pussy

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
what if... I wrote another...
game of thrones series...
on HBO
Haha just
kidding...
...unless?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei was pretty much just waiting to die in Season 8. And I don't mean her character was written to feel that way.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Whomst amongst us isn't just drinking wine and staring into the distance, waiting for the story to kill us

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Whomst amongst us isn't just drinking wine and staring into the distance, waiting for the story to kill us

Hahaha, wrong loser.

My glass is full of water. Not wine.

Haha...

Ha.

Ha....

:froggonk:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

He's working on the broadway version of GoT.
Instead of the next book...
Unless it's an april fools story.

(But to be honest I can't wait for Jaime throwing Bran out the window while bellowing BOY DO I LOOOOOOVE TO PLOW MY SIS IN THIS TOWER ABOOOOOOOOVE, THE THIIIIIIINGS I DOOOOOOOO FOOOOOOOOR LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

He's working on the broadway version of GoT.
Instead of the next book...
Unless it's an april fools story.

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1377040700743806979?s=21

April Fools are usually done on April 1, not March 30/forty-eight hours before April 1

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want it to be the play from within the show with all the making GBS threads and farting.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ruddiger posted:

I want it to be the play from within the show with all the making GBS threads and farting.

Fake Sansa moment was very good, at least very Gif worthy.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SunshineDanceParty posted:

A big issue with the show in the later seasons is killing off characters and not replacing them. Cersei suffers from that a lot and has no one to interact with in Kings Landing. It's a huge waste of Lena Headey.

If it had just been the sept explosion it would have been tolerable.

But then the biggest problem was that by episode 3 of the following season Cersei had also completely n00bp0wn3d the Sand Snakes and the Queen of Thorns, the 2 other factions she had any plot relevant connection to.

The whole Cersei vs Dany and Jon is not interesting nor has any weight because the characters have had no history together in 7 seasons and 6 episodes. So when they show up for the parley in episode 7 it's just a bunch of people that have probably never even seen each other on set trying to out one-line each other. The conflict between these two factions is as emotion driven as watching two bots fight each other in Ages of Empires.

Dumb and Dumber went out of their way to have Cersei not do anything for the last 2 seasons.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I don't think it's a problem that Cersei had no specific history with Dany or Jon before, it's a problem that their interaction was so goddamn boring and perfunctory. There are so many ways they could've gone that would've been compelling or interesting, and D&D chose none of them.

Jon is basically another Ned, a man whose code of honor threatened Cersei's children's lives, but he's also a living embodiment of Ned's hypocrisy, a bastard he wasn't supposed to have (she thinks.) He's like Joffrey or Tommen in that sense, but was rewarded rather than punished for what he is. At the same time, Jon is also a Stark whose family was burned alive by Aerys, who was named King in the North, and who now serves a Targaryan. Cersei should have plenty to say to him, on the basis of his father and his family alone, but she doesn't really.

Then there's Dany, whose entire family was massacred by Cersei's father, brother, and husband. But her Hand is Cersei's other brother, a man who killed Cersei's father and son (she thinks.) Dany is the "younger queen" Cersei has feared since she was a child. But also, Dany is her mirror, another woman with the will to seek the throne in this patriarchal hellworld, but one whose methods are completely different, whose destiny seems metaphysical.

Cersei and Dany's rivalry should've been EXTREMELY interesting. Dany is living the life Cersei wishes she'd lived. They're both women born to powerful families, whose highest calling in their youth was to be a wife to someone important. But while Cersei's political marriage to Robert saw her humiliated and scorned, Dany's turned her into a goddamn messiah. She controls massive armies and the loyalty of thousands in her own name, not through deceit or manipulation, but through respect and awe. In some other life, Cersei might've respected the poo poo out of Dany...and vice-versa. But in this one, Cersei rightly resents and fears her. And I don't believe the two ever share a scene, one on one. It's a total missed opportunity, and should've been a culmination of seasons worth of material.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jon bending the knee to Dany like a week after becoming King In The North and before the big parley alone was incredibly dumb and a spectacular waste of writing potential. But we had to WRAP. THAT. poo poo. UP. for some reason so we needed to do every potential mutli-season storyline they only even seeded within their own finale run in 20 minutes each I guess.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xealot posted:

I don't think it's a problem that Cersei had no specific history with Dany or Jon before, it's a problem that their interaction was so goddamn boring and perfunctory. There are so many ways they could've gone that would've been compelling or interesting, and D&D chose none of them.

Jon is basically another Ned, a man whose code of honor threatened Cersei's children's lives, but he's also a living embodiment of Ned's hypocrisy, a bastard he wasn't supposed to have (she thinks.) He's like Joffrey or Tommen in that sense, but was rewarded rather than punished for what he is. At the same time, Jon is also a Stark whose family was burned alive by Aerys, who was named King in the North, and who now serves a Targaryan. Cersei should have plenty to say to him, on the basis of his father and his family alone, but she doesn't really.

Then there's Dany, whose entire family was massacred by Cersei's father, brother, and husband. But her Hand is Cersei's other brother, a man who killed Cersei's father and son (she thinks.) Dany is the "younger queen" Cersei has feared since she was a child. But also, Dany is her mirror, another woman with the will to seek the throne in this patriarchal hellworld, but one whose methods are completely different, whose destiny seems metaphysical.

Cersei and Dany's rivalry should've been EXTREMELY interesting. Dany is living the life Cersei wishes she'd lived. They're both women born to powerful families, whose highest calling in their youth was to be a wife to someone important. But while Cersei's political marriage to Robert saw her humiliated and scorned, Dany's turned her into a goddamn messiah. She controls massive armies and the loyalty of thousands in her own name, not through deceit or manipulation, but through respect and awe. In some other life, Cersei might've respected the poo poo out of Dany...and vice-versa. But in this one, Cersei rightly resents and fears her. And I don't believe the two ever share a scene, one on one. It's a total missed opportunity, and should've been a culmination of seasons worth of material.

I'm reminded of the fake scenes they wasted hours and hours shooting for Season 8 to throw the paparazzi and leakers off track (only for the whole season's plot to be leaked before any of it even aired anyway). One of those scenes involved Jon and Cersei alone in King's Landing discussing something that looked rather tense with Gregor looking on ominously behind them. Could you imagine what that scene would have been if it was actually real?

I often think how the series would have played out if, say, Jon and Dany actually lost the Battle of Winterfell and had to retreat south with a broken army, tensions between the surviving characters fraying, the Army of the Dead hot on their heels, and Cersei waiting for them at King's Landing with the Lannister army at full strength. Like imagine if Cersei was like "Okay, I'll help you this time, but since I have you both over a barrel now... forsake your crowns and bend the knee to me and I'll let you and your miserable followers live and I'll defeat the Night King for you. Resist and I'll just kill all of you right here and now." And then they give in to Cersei's demands, purely for the greater good.

So now the defense against the Army of the Dead is squarely in the hands of Cersei, who was wildly unprepared for the real fight on a good day and is now over the moon powerdrunk because she just owned all her remaining enemies at once and thinks the Night King is going to be a pushover now. Meanwhile Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa and Arya all loving hate eachother but hate Cersei even more collectively, and are all completely powerless and are functional prisoners inside King's Landing (something Sansa and Tyrion know a thing or two about navigating). So they have to come up with some sort of plan to beat both Cersei, the Night King, and Euron... who's also there, I guess, without everyone all dying. All while Cersei gloats and drinks herself into oblivion because she's very clearly going to just skip town with Euron on the Silence and blow up King's Landing with wildfire to kill the dead and living alike.

And then they win and establish democracy or something. The end. Da-da, da-da da da, da-da da da[violin intensifies]

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm reminded of the fake scenes they wasted hours and hours shooting for Season 8 to throw the paparazzi and leakers off track (only for the whole season's plot to be leaked before any of it even aired anyway). One of those scenes involved Jon and Cersei alone in King's Landing discussing something that looked rather tense with Gregor looking on ominously behind them. Could you imagine what that scene would have been if it was actually real?

I often think how the series would have played out if, say, Jon and Dany actually lost the Battle of Winterfell and had to retreat south with a broken army, tensions between the surviving characters fraying, the Army of the Dead hot on their heels, and Cersei waiting for them at King's Landing with the Lannister army at full strength. Like imagine if Cersei was like "Okay, I'll help you this time, but since I have you both over a barrel now... forsake your crowns and bend the knee to me and I'll let you and your miserable followers live and I'll defeat the Night King for you. Resist and I'll just kill all of you right here and now." And then they give in to Cersei's demands, purely for the greater good.

So now the defense against the Army of the Dead is squarely in the hands of Cersei, who was wildly unprepared for the real fight on a good day and is now over the moon powerdrunk because she just owned all her remaining enemies at once and thinks the Night King is going to be a pushover now. Meanwhile Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, Sansa and Arya all loving hate eachother but hate Cersei even more collectively, and are all completely powerless and are functional prisoners inside King's Landing (something Sansa and Tyrion know a thing or two about navigating). So they have to come up with some sort of plan to beat both Cersei, the Night King, and Euron... who's also there, I guess, without everyone all dying. All while Cersei gloats and drinks herself into oblivion because she's very clearly going to just skip town with Euron on the Silence and blow up King's Landing with wildfire to kill the dead and living alike.

And then they win and establish democracy or something. The end. Da-da, da-da da da, da-da da da[violin intensifies]

To me the obvious storyline to do would have been Cersei and Jon have to team up against Dany AND the Night King. The Song of Ice and Fire is about humanity overcoming its petty disagreements to defeat The Ice Zombies AND The Dragons. Dany just refuses to help with the Walkers before beating Cersei, she's too arrogant from all those times she was "Good and Right," and thinks with her dragons she doesn't even need Jon to stop them and can defeat them at her leisure, so her throne comes first. Maybe bring Quiathe back and have her convince Dany that she's Azor Ahai to sell that aspect. Either way create a situation where the humans have to put their differences aside because the Supernatural is about to run them over from both directions.

The layers of irony to play with are extensive: The Lannisters and Starks are responsible for loving everything up in the first place, and in the end they clean up their own mess. The honor and loyalty and compassion that Cersei had such contempt for in Ned she now needs in Jon if she's going to survive, and the ruthlessness and hate which fueled Cersei and helped her bring down his entire family are now Jon's only hope to stop these magical super-threats. Qyburn and Sam, the two renegade Maesters unite to use Science to defeat Magic. The Hound is forced to work beside the brother he despises only to learn that that brother is long dead and all that's left is a corpse for him to care for as the gravedigger he became. Jaime more trapped than ever between Cersei and Brienne, two loves and two ways of life, now that they're on the same side. Sansa, Arya, Brann and Gendry forced to work alongside the architect of all their miseries, now from positions of strength and needing to resist the temptation of revenge for the sake of the world. Theon forced to fight against Yara and acting at the only check on Euron's inevitable treachery. There's a lot to work with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
At this point, basically everyone in the world has written a better final season of Game of Thrones than the guys who wrote the final season of Game of Thrones did :v:

The greatest irony of all.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point, basically everyone in the world has written a better final season of Game of Thrones than the guys who wrote the final season of Game of Thrones did :v:

The greatest irony of all.

I resent this.

... I've written 2.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Everything people write will be better than GRRMs actual ending because he'll never write it

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Sanguinia posted:

To me the obvious storyline to do would have been Cersei and Jon have to team up against Dany AND the Night King. The Song of Ice and Fire is about humanity overcoming its petty disagreements to defeat The Ice Zombies AND The Dragons. Dany just refuses to help with the Walkers before beating Cersei, she's too arrogant from all those times she was "Good and Right," and thinks with her dragons she doesn't even need Jon to stop them and can defeat them at her leisure, so her throne comes first. Maybe bring Quiathe back and have her convince Dany that she's Azor Ahai to sell that aspect. Either way create a situation where the humans have to put their differences aside because the Supernatural is about to run them over from both directions.

The layers of irony to play with are extensive: The Lannisters and Starks are responsible for loving everything up in the first place, and in the end they clean up their own mess. The honor and loyalty and compassion that Cersei had such contempt for in Ned she now needs in Jon if she's going to survive, and the ruthlessness and hate which fueled Cersei and helped her bring down his entire family are now Jon's only hope to stop these magical super-threats. Qyburn and Sam, the two renegade Maesters unite to use Science to defeat Magic. The Hound is forced to work beside the brother he despises only to learn that that brother is long dead and all that's left is a corpse for him to care for as the gravedigger he became. Jaime more trapped than ever between Cersei and Brienne, two loves and two ways of life, now that they're on the same side. Sansa, Arya, Brann and Gendry forced to work alongside the architect of all their miseries, now from positions of strength and needing to resist the temptation of revenge for the sake of the world. Theon forced to fight against Yara and acting at the only check on Euron's inevitable treachery. There's a lot to work with.

Ugghh this so good. Why does it work so well, and why was it so hard for GRRM to just think of it, and then write it down on a napkin or something and call it the last book.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Happy Thread posted:

Ugghh this so good. Why does it work so well, and why was it so hard for GRRM to just think of it, and then write it down on a napkin or something and call it the last book.

It always stuck out to me that during that big parley, even though it was a blatant effort at pandering and total self-service, Cersei became the only ruler in the entire course of the show, including Dany and Renly, to ever address either Rob or Jon as King In The North. It reminded me of that speech to Joffrey during season 1 where Cersei explained that it was impossible for an outsider to rule the North if they weren't willing to bend the knee. In a weird way Cersei almost had more respect for the North and what it was capable of than any other Southron character. As far as I remember she never once underestimated, disparaged or patronized the North or any of the characters that came from there (not counting petty insults and torments of course), which is more than you can say for anyone else in her family except maybe Tyrion.

"We only make peace with our enemies, that's why its called making peace," indeed.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

An insane mind posted:

Everything people write will be better than GRRMs actual ending because he'll never write it

Working hard, thank you!

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1375597750746812416

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Good for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GRRM has made tens of millions of dollars doing absolutely nothing and got two failson dipshits to take all the heat for his lovely first draft ending and now gets to live with his loving wife in a pueblo revival deco castle house and ride a rail road he paid to have built with his infinite HBO money. Dude has won at life forever.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've never seen someone give less fucks about their fandom. He doesn't even give enough fucks to admit to himself that he doesn't give any.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
My favorite thing is still GRRM tweeting about how much he liked The Last Kingdom while GOT was still on the air.

Truly he has no fucks to give.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM has made tens of millions of dollars doing absolutely nothing and got two failson dipshits to take all the heat for his lovely first draft ending and now gets to live with his loving wife in a pueblo revival deco castle house and ride a rail road he paid to have built with his infinite HBO money. Dude has won at life forever.

Yeah I mean at this point for me it's more funny than anything.

It's been a decade (lol) since ADWD came out, and that was just the product of splitting AFFC into two books since he had so much material left over (lol x2). It's also been almost that long since a friend and I went to see him do a Q&A and read a couple chapters of Winds of Winter which was surely well underway (lol x3).

He toiled for decades getting by in TV writing and marginal sci fi publications until he got majorly paid for adapting his 2/3-done lifelong project, so hey, might as well keep on keeping on with that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm reminded of the fake scenes they wasted hours and hours shooting for Season 8 to throw the paparazzi and leakers off track (only for the whole season's plot to be leaked before any of it even aired anyway).

People often say that D&D got bored and rushed season 8 to go work on Star Wars. But no, poo poo like this makes me believe that they actually thought they were doing a great job. They genuinely thought they had written something so magnificent that they had to go to stupid lengths (such as hiring old actors to just be dicking around on set) to protect it from being leaked or spoiled.

And they failed even at that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lezard_valeth posted:

People often say that D&D got bored and rushed season 8 to go work on Star Wars. But no, poo poo like this makes me believe that they actually thought they were doing a great job. They genuinely thought they had written something so magnificent that they had to go to stupid lengths (such as hiring old actors to just be dicking around on set) to protect it from being leaked or spoiled.

Its both. They definitely did get tired of GOT and rushed it to the end early to work on other things. But they also totally believed in their own ability to write, or else they'd have other people do it like they did most of the show's run.

They felt they deserved it. And then after writing their script, yeah, they looked at it and said "wow this is neat they're gonna love it"

I love that video of the table reading of the final episode script. Kit Harrington avoided reading the script early so he was shocked at how it ended, and Conleth Hill is just rolling his eyes so hard the whole time its amazing. The actors knew the writing was poo poo, much less actual writers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Its both. They definitely did get tired of GOT and rushed it to the end early to work on other things. But they also totally believed in their own ability to write, or else they'd have other people do it like they did most of the show's run.

They felt they deserved it. And then after writing their script, yeah, they looked at it and said "wow this is neat they're gonna love it"

I love that video of the table reading of the final episode script. Kit Harrington avoided reading the script early so he was shocked at how it ended, and Conleth Hill is just rolling his eyes so hard the whole time its amazing. The actors knew the writing was poo poo, much less actual writers.

Yeah, those little moments were amazingly telling. The second Varys dies and he has no further role in the plot, Conleth Hill just tosses the script for 8x04 across the table in contempt and leans over and just starts hugging Gwendoline Christie, clearly upset by what has just transpired. Emilia Clarke had read the scripts on the plane ride into Belfast, so she knew what was going to happen and tried to warn Kit about it ahead of time, so he was completely blindsided by Dany going nuts and Jon killing her and is constantly looking across the table to Emilia who's just grimacing and shrugging the whole time, silently saying "I tried to warn you..."

Apparently Isaac Hempstead-Wright, upon getting his copy of the script for the final episode thought it was a joke David and Dan were playing on him, so when he called them up to ask for the real script and found out that WAS the real script, he had a panic attack in his hotel room.

lezard_valeth posted:

David and Dan submitting the script for the finale for Emmy consideration was proof positive they thought they nailed it and deserved to be rewarded for their triumph. The response of universal revulsion when the Emmys published the script for public review and everyone ripped apart just how awful it was actually written to the point where the Emmys had to pull it offline in embarrassment was incredibly cathartic, as was D&D absolutely eating poo poo the night of and walking away empty handed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, Kit's mouth is agape and he's like "WHAT?" and you look at Emilia and she's just slouching down under the table and half laughing, half shaking her head, because she already knew

I also love that, I think it was Maisie Williams told her boyfriend she kills the Night's King and he immediately responded, "Huh, should have been Jon though right?" Some random teenage boy understands these characters better than D&D does, even though its literally his girlfriend and he should be biased towards her character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6qSAncsuO8

The writing on these episodes is ASTONISHINGLY bad. And honestly as terrible as the dialogue is, as bad as the plot is, we were spared the worst of it.

The worst part of these scripts are the stage directions, which D&D embellish with some extremely teenage fanfiction level authorial skills.

"He takes more punishment than Hodor at the door..." is one of my all time worst lines ever written.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 2, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Also interesting is in the original script Arya just jumps and stabs the Night's King. The thing with getting caught and dropping the dagger must have come about during filming & choreography.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 2, 2021

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, it was season 7 that was leaked entirely in advance. Season 8 leaks dribbled out slowly, and many of them were completely wrong. The same guy who managed to leak season 7 stubbornly insisted that Tyrion would be the one to burn down King's Landing, and that he would be tried for it afterwards. This now seems like a misunderstanding from people sneaking peeks at the filming. Might have been a better ending, though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Also interesting is in the original script Arya just jumps and stabs the Night's King. The thing with getting caught and dropping the dagger must have come about during filming & choreography.

There's a coffee table book out there just waiting to be made called "The Face of Game of Thrones Season 8" that's just shots like that of the cast reacting in disgust and horror as they learn about, help create, and then have to try and explain what happened during the filming of Season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Conleth Hills reaction to everything being read is pure gold. I wish there was a shot of him reacting to the 800th dick and balls joke he had to read by season 8.