Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Rhyno posted:

Idris is amazing in it, as is Ruth Wilson. Yeah the plot is wild but it's worth to watch them circle each other.

All you guys talking about how terrible it was made me rewatch a few episodes and drat if you are right. I thought I remembered it was better but it was all Idris and Ruth. I will admit Idris makes anything better, I even half enjoyed Dark Tower solely based on him and McConaughey's charisma. God that movie was a disappointment as well. How he didn't get Bond over a decade ago I have no idea. That could have been cool.

Clive Owen is another actor I always liked but the Knick is seriously great television. I hate that I didn't even hear about it until a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Started Doom Patrol today. What a delightful surprise. I like all the violence and f-bombs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

GORDON posted:

Started Doom Patrol today. What a delightful surprise. I like all the violence and f-bombs.

it's really good

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Resident Alien is about as fun as you'd expect an "Alan Tudyk plays an alien trying to be human" show would be.

It has the same sort of vibe that People of Earth did, though part of that may be that they share a few cast members.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

We then turned off The Originals after just the intro. Basically once the character said something like "we are vampires... THE ORIGINALS" I was out.

If you're going to watch The Originals, you have to start with the first four seasons of The Vampire Diaries. The Originals eventually hits it's stride, but it needs the goodwill coming out of TVD to get there.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 2, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There are no good parts of Vampire Diares.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rhyno posted:

There are no good parts of Vampire Diares.

Season 2 was great. I hated all the Claus stuff that came after though, he's such a tiresome character to watch, which was why I never really considered watching the Originals. After about 4 or 5 seasons VD kind of got tangled up in its own lore and ran into the problem a lot of shows like this run into which is that they have a whole load of ways in which characters can cheat death, either by being "undead" or "resurrected" or whatever. After a while so many that have died have come back, or turned out to have somehow not really died, that it takes away all the stakes.

Stakes :v: see what I did there

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shrimpy posted:

If you're going to watch The Originals, you have to start with the first four seasons of The Vampire Diaries. The Originals eventually hits it's stride, but it needs the goodwill coming out of TVD to get there.

I only made it about 5 mins into The Originals. I doubt I could take 4 seasons of that type of writing.

I did binge all of s2 of Solar Opposites. Really good stuff. They found their voice this season and the wall segments remain strong. It's an interesting mix of sitcome humor from the aliens and action/drama from the wall. Ballsy.

I also like how it's almost inverted Rick and Morty plotting in that each episode isn't centered around a deep dive into a grand sci-fi idea, but instead each episode is resolved with a bullshit sci-fi macguffin("let's just sci-fi this poo poo" and then they use a machine that solves their situation as a running gag).

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 2, 2021

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

binged all of harley quinn. season 1 is gold, season 2 is really disappointing in how much it tries to tell a very bland dramatic story at the cost of it's humor. not the end of the world because season 1 is still something worth showing your friends, but season 2 feels like some really good jokes with a lot of filler.

I guess I didn't noticed the quality drop off that much. Thought both seasons were very good.

Jumping into Doom Patrol now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We Are The Champions is pretty fun! It's funny and doesn't ever seem mean to the participants in these odd sports. I like it. Nice little show to chill out and watch.

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021
Binged both seasons of Solar Opposite this past week, season 1 is a real snoozer but season 2 shows real promise.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Nundizo posted:

Binged both seasons of Solar Opposite this past week, season 1 is a real snoozer but season 2 shows real promise.

I liked both seasons but agree that season 2 is better.

Reading some of the feedback on Luther here moved it down my list a bit, and we decided to check out Search Party. We're only two eps in but it seems really promising. Also started watching Made For Love, which is a new sci fi show by one of the writers/producers of Search Party. It's very Black Mirror-ish in its premise but pretty funny in parts too. It shows a lot of promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWgNSLIULw

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trig Discipline posted:

Reading some of the feedback on Luther here moved it down my list a bit, and we decided to check out Search Party. We're only two eps in but it seems really promising. Also started watching Made For Love, which is a new sci fi show by one of the writers/producers of Search Party. It's very Black Mirror-ish in its premise but pretty funny in parts too. It shows a lot of promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWgNSLIULw

Made For Love is pretty good. It's got Avenue 5's sense of satirical absurdity, and the performances are great.

That said, it's one of those shows that you're not going to know if it's good or not until they get a decent way into the second season, and are forced to move past just explaining the premise / adapting the source material.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Binge watching Kingdom on Netflix. Almost done with Season 2. It's about as bleak and depressing as Bloodline.

Same, but enjoying every moment. It's even better if you watch it dubbed in English. 16th century Korea was a weird place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MightyJoe36 posted:

Binge watching Kingdom on Netflix. Almost done with Season 2. It's about as bleak and depressing as Bloodline.

Octy posted:

Same, but enjoying every moment. It's even better if you watch it dubbed in English. 16th century Korea was a weird place.

You're watching different shows.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

You're watching different shows.

Well, that makes sense now but I stand by what I said. My Kingdom is well worth watching.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Made for Love furthers my adoration for the acting and comedic chops of Cristin Milioti

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Shrimpy posted:

Resident Alien is about as fun as you'd expect an "Alan Tudyk plays an alien trying to be human" show would be.

It has the same sort of vibe that People of Earth did, though part of that may be that they share a few cast members.

I like Tudyk and wanted to like the show but it doesn't resonate with me. It's well made and the actors are fine but it's a little slow and the humor a little flat. I only got 2 eps in though.

On an entirely unrelated note I randomly found Futureman which I had never heard of because filthy Europeans don't get Hulu. Seth Rogen is driving so lots of dick and diarrhea gags but it moves fast and keeps changing it up which kept me entertained. 2 seasons might have been sufficient but I'll take it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Made for Love furthers my adoration for the acting and comedic chops of Cristin Milioti

She's super typecast but she's also very good at playing the roles she gets.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Trig Discipline posted:

I would follow the Search Party team to the ends of the earth. They could make a TV show about anything and I'd watch it. Search Party basically changes genres every season, but stays coherent and cohesive as one story. It's incredible.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Doom patrol is a sleeper, it's good as poo poo despite the last season suffering slightly due to covid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Owling Howl posted:

On an entirely unrelated note I randomly found Futureman which I had never heard of because filthy Europeans don't get Hulu. Seth Rogen is driving so lots of dick and diarrhea gags but it moves fast and keeps changing it up which kept me entertained. 2 seasons might have been sufficient but I'll take it.

Oh I love Futureman, it manages to be dumb as hell in the cleverest ways.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Brother talked me into watching season 1 of The Boys, which I liked more than I expected. Its not immune to the "we're DARK and EDGY superheroes," but it mainly keeps the edgy antics to two particularly scummy characters and demonstrate real humanity in the others. Its also more obviously a skewering of celebrity culture over anything else, which I appreciate.

Adding the praise onto Doom Patrol, easily one of the best superhero shows ever made. I definitely need to find something less hero involved to watch after this though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Nerdietalk posted:

Brother talked me into watching season 1 of The Boys, which I liked more than I expected. Its not immune to the "we're DARK and EDGY superheroes," but it mainly keeps the edgy antics to two particularly scummy characters and demonstrate real humanity in the others. Its also more obviously a skewering of celebrity culture over anything else, which I appreciate.

Adding the praise onto Doom Patrol, easily one of the best superhero shows ever made. I definitely need to find something less hero involved to watch after this though.

watch banshee

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If someone like Superman existed it's hard to believe that he'd have to worry about money or even care about being famous. But part of me thinks in America it would absolutely happen. A literal god would waste time making Hollywood action flicks and go to fan conventions to sign pictures.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I started binging The Magicians based on comments in this thread.

I'm five episodes in, and I see a lot of potential, but... do they ever figure out the pacing? It sometimes feels like they're trying to push the plot along way too fast -- things are happening before I'm given time to learn or care about most of the characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They do, season one is sloppy but still very good. Season 2 on they have it figured out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I started binging The Magicians based on comments in this thread.

I'm five episodes in, and I see a lot of potential, but... do they ever figure out the pacing? It sometimes feels like they're trying to push the plot along way too fast -- things are happening before I'm given time to learn or care about most of the characters.

The pacing chills, because the show quickly proves who's sticking around by the fact they've been in more than three episodes and they've not been murdered, and you're quickly able to work out what's relevant and what's not.

Also the budget vanishes and everyone plays space hopscotch for an episode (yes this happens).

But it's fun! Stick with it!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been having a good time with Psych over the past week or so.

I never watched it during the original run and always felt like the ads pushed me away from it, but it's actually pretty good and funny.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Psych is all about the character chemistry and charm. If you feel it its a very fun and reliable palette cleanser.

I've been rewatching it in that role the last few months. Whenever I need a break from something else I just pop on an episode or two of Psych and smile.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I remember it being like live-action Scooby Doo. Great for 'light' viewing.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Has anyone watched One on Netflix? The wife and I are thinking about checking it out.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Has anyone watched One on Netflix? The wife and I are thinking about checking it out.

The One? If so yes, girlfriend and I are enjoying it. Pairs well with Soulmates on Prime (I suspect the pitch for one of them was used to make the other)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Red Oktober posted:

The One? If so yes, girlfriend and I are enjoying it. Pairs well with Soulmates on Prime (I suspect the pitch for one of them was used to make the other)

The one about the personals service that matches you with your perfect partner, allegedly.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The one about the personals service that matches you with your perfect partner, allegedly.

Yes, that’s The One. We’re enjoying it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

Brendan Fraser is really fun in this, it's great to have him back in something. Does anyone know if he's in the suit and/or doing mocap, personally? And, .... the gently caress?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GORDON posted:

Brendan Fraser is really fun in this, it's great to have him back in something. Does anyone know if he's in the suit and/or doing mocap, personally? And, .... the gently caress?

It's another dude in a suit. Same thing they do with Larry.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's another dude in a suit. Same thing they do with Larry.

The suit actor is as awesome as the voice performance though. Robotman has some amazing physicality.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone here watch this show on Hulu called Debris? I just watched the first show and I am fully captivated. It’s a bit like SCP with some creepy x-files to it. I just wonder if it’s worth the time, or not?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Google Butt posted:

watch banshee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

drat, season 6 of Justified is knocking it out of the park for me. We’re halfway through and it seems so much better than S4 and S5. I’m hoping it continues till the end. I think it’s the first season I actually want to watch more than an episode per night-where some of the earlier seasons felt like a slog to get through.

loving Dicky Bennet though-I can’t stand that character and I was a little pissed to see they brought him back.